Go Bottom Go Bottom

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-13          124445

Shortmagnum - how does Knowlton compare to Shullsburg down in the SW part of the state? I struggle to find great string cheese and the curds you get in Iowa just don't stand up to the fresh stuff.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-13          124451

Being a life-long resident, I can attest to the fact that Mullen's Cheese (Knowlton) doesn't hold a candle to Wisconsin Dairy State Cheese (Rudolph).

Sorry, Shortmagnum. ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-14          124470

I didn't know about the one in Rudolph. It has to be pretty good to beat Mullins in Knowlton. :) I'll have to take a motorcycle ride this spring to check it out. It's about 3 hours from me right now.

Some other good cheese places are in Spring Valley, Reedsburg, and Fennimore WI. There are probably others closer to Iowa but I don't know far SW Wisconsin that well. You're right about fresh curd though. If it don't squeek, it aint worth eatin.
Dave ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-14          124477

When they're still warm from the vatt, squeaky and salty, mmmmm. ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-14          124489

any websites for these factories? I'm a born cheesehead and I'm in withdrawl. The wife wanted chocolate today so I took care of that. But I owuld love fresh cheese curds or some good cheese. Maybe on a cracker, but good cheese by itself is hmmm hmmm.

I wish I could remember the brand my mom had over the Christmas holiday. I couldn't stop eating it. Dang it was good. ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-14          124490

If you haven't been to South-eastern Ontario you haven't had good cheese yet.

There's a world famous (and for good reason) dairy near here, there stuff gets shipped all over the world now. I alone send it to a half a dozen countries. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Empire Cheese

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-02-14          124491

Us Michiganders go to Wilson Cheese Shop in Pinnconning, Michigan. But, I'm sure it doesn't rate up there to you real cheese heads. ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-14          124499

Iowafun, here's your website. Don't forget, too much cheese can be constipating. :)
Dave ....

Link:   Wisconsin Cheese Factories

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-14          124503

I dont know about constipated, but from reading this post it sounds like yall are full of cheese. NBL ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-15          124555

Speaking of cheese, you should hear some of the ingredients for my Lasagna. I needed a special pan because the old one just couldn't hold it. I use 2 lbs of sausage, 5 lbs of cheese, etc...

Life without cheese is like Bert without Ernie, Wayne without his Newton, or a Canadian not ending a sentance with "eh". It's just unimaginable. ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-15          124557

You guys are killing me. I've been on a diet for the last six months and am only allowed so much dairy. The choice was between milk for my coffee or some minimal amount of cheese. I gave up cheese for now, but I sorely miss it. No pizza, no italian food, no cheeseburgers, no cheese on broccoli, no curds to munch on. I'm in no-cheese hell. When I've reached my weight goal I'm driving to Iowa and will expect a healthy portion of lasagna waiting for me on arrival :) ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-15          124559

I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that when I woke up on Valentines Day, along with the cards from my wife and daughter was a pound bag of cheese curds. They were half gone by last night and I was the only one eating them. If they had been fresh (no fresh curds nearby) they would have been all gone. :)
Dave ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-15          124561

Ken, while I can sympathize with your predicament, well, actually, truth be known I can barely remember that post heart-attack diet, I think I was too weak to remember it, I think you made a little typo in that post.

You said "...a healthy portion of lasagna ..." but the recipe went "I use 2 lbs of sausage, 5 lbs of cheese, etc...".

So which do you want, a big ole' heapin' helpin' of an artery clogging, culinary masterpiece, or something healthy?

ROFLMAO.......

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-15          124562

LOL

Sausage and cheese sounds healthy to me. How else am I gonna keep everything lubed? ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-15          124584

I take several drugs between my acid reflux and my blood pressure but I'm married to a good cooking Italian and I've always found it hard to say no to a female, I do know it's all my fault! Oh well! Care for a White Russian? ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-16          124599

hey sounds like a room full of old farts.
I have some Input for you all.
6 years ago I had a so-called massive heart-attack, anything to do with te eart is classified as an Heart-Attack, costs more. Anyway I had a rupture in an Artery and it secreted some fatty substance in to the artery and caused a clog, the ole heart was pumping overtime and down I went. While i was recovering in ICU a friend of mine from Col, who has more degrees than letters in his name, turned me on to Dr Linus Pauling. Dr Pauling won TWO Nobel Prizes, UNASSISTED, the only person to ever do so and one was earned in Medicine and the other in Chemistry, so I think his credentials speak for themselves.
Anyways here are a coupl eof sites or do a google search.
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/unified.htm http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/Articles/linus_pauling.htm
and add about 600 units of -alpha Vit E http://www.beyondhealth.com/vitamin-e.htm and when you are done reading these go to this site and after you read the page and get over your SHOC click on Home and go to the many different links Good reading. http://www.healingdaily.com/Doctors-Are-The-Third-Leading-Cause-of-Death-in-the-US.htm
I have been taking 3000 mgs of Vit C and Lysine for about 6 years, I have had an amazing recovery, my doctors are baffled and I am still in the Reserves and do my PFT. No problems, I took my Heart Attack and learned from it, The Vitamin E was omething I have been taking since the Marines and I can honestly tell you I have NO scars on my body, due to Vit E.
Dr Pauling will confirm that Cholesteral has NOTHING to do with Heart Desease it is a warning tat you have a Vitamin C defiencency, Plaque is caused by the Arteries getting thin ad brittle from the lack of Vit c and the body sets up a natural defense by tryin to re-inforce the damaged arteries with a plaque, does anyone here honestly beleive that the Human body would do something to destroy itself? that is against nature.
When I was in the Hospital everytime i brought up dr Pauling's name, people would laugh ad tel me he was a quack. Yup! i said t myself, he has the TWO Nobel Prizes and YOU don't.
Fox News under their Health Section just had a report released three days ago, I do have it in as a doc file, about a experiment that went on for 8.1 years and used 49,000 women and they concluded that a low fat, low sodium diet does NOTHING to prevent Heart desease and in many cases increased the risk.
I have always said that if youplan a seed in shit, the seed will still become a Corn Stalk, because it will take what it needs. period.
Happy reading but use your head and common sense, I am not stating to be flagrant about your health. I am only saying that don't trust your sources. Do you realize that Doctors have less than 9 hours of pharmancy training? You want to know about medicines go to a pharmacists and if you want to know about diet go to a Dietician or a Nutricianist. Drs can sew you up. ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-16          124604

I want to add, I am NOT trying to bash Doctors, on the contrary they have saved my life and my My Mom and Grandmother were both RNs. But every profession has quacks who have entered and who give the Good ones the bad name. Hell ten percent of the marines were pri--s and give the other 90% the bad name, same with Carpenters, Plumbers or what have you. I am NOT trying to bash doctors only trying to state that much is STILL a science and not fact. Just a few years ago the Doctors finally realized that Calcium deposits were NOT a result of TOO much Calcium intake but a defieceincy of Calcium. Doctors CAn be and are wrong. Problem is there ar emany who have a lot of good info and the quacks are in charge and don't listen to them.
So Please try to read wHAT i HAVE POSTED WITH AN oPEN MIND, READ THE REFERENCES AND DRAW your OWN CONCLUSION.
I have the Greatest repsect for GOOD Doctors and no respect for those who are riding the high. That is true in every single profession.

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-16          124605

I think I'll still take my Zocor.
Dave ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-16          124606

Dave

You can if you want, I take Simistraten Lipitor, and Niaspan and another one. I have had my docotr play with the prescriptions and the doses for 6 years now.
I did an experiment for giggles, I stopped taking my Mega Doses of Vit C and Lysine for a full 3 months. I went in for my blood tests the my numbers had shot up. The Doctor wanted to change doses again and I said "No wait, let me go back to my other diet" I didn't tell him what I had done, I went back on my mega doses and the numbers plummeted. You can add the Vit C and Lysine and it will NOT kill you. The Human body os the only body that does NOTR make its own Vitamin C and relies on outside sources. You can make your healther BETTER by adding the Vit C and the Lysine and I added the links for people to read and be able to verify what I was saying..
I did a two mile run in under my 23 minutes. I stil have a little shortness of breath and damage to the left Ventricle but the Vitamin E wil help that out.
I merely added some interesting reading for everyone. and if there are Doctors are these boards, I am not slaming you unless you are one of those who goes for the money and not the cure.

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-16          124627

I won't comment on Lysine, but you're right about vitamin C. Large doses do not seem to be harmful. Excess is passed out quite easily. This has been known for a long time.
Dave ....

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-16          124633

You should take a few minutes and go to those links of Dr Pauling's I posted, Lysine is an Amino Acid and will do NO harm but has great benefits.
Dr Pauling took over 20,000 mgs of Vit C and Lysine each day as well as mega doses of Proline. I take about 3000 mgs of Vit C and Lysine and have been for 6 years, Dr Pauling did for over 20 years.

Q for Shortmagnum

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-17          124714

Hmmm... all this talk of doctors and heart attacks reminds me that I was supposed to bake a cheese cake for my wife a few weeks back. I know the recipe goes back to at least my grandmother. It's very good, but so rich you can only eat a modest slice.

Dang that sounds good... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login