Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mold and Mildew Everywhere

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-23          123310

After nearly a month of solid rain it finally stopped for a few days. Itching to get out and do some work I went into the garage to pick up a set of leather work gloves and they were 100% covered with mold. So was every other pair that had been previously worn. To make it worse, the leather handle of my favorite machete was covered in mold too. Yech.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-23          123312

I saw on the news the northwest was trying to set a new record for days in a row for rainfall did you make it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-23          123314

I don't pay much attention to stuff like that so I'm not sure. The last I heard they were worrying about the light snow pack. There's always something to worry about so I try not to. There were a couple of upsides to all the rain. For one, the ground is so saturated I was able to go out and pull up a bunch of scotch broom with hardly any effort. For two, I was able to easily find out where NOT to build an outbuilding when the lakes started forming in areas I didn't expect. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-01-23          123315

26 days in a row of rain would drive me nuts. I am glad to have precipitation one day a week in New York which is about the most we ever have. But a month of rain? Its beyond comprehension! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-23          123316

26 days. Is that what it was? That's a pretty good run. In December we had a couple of gorgeous weeks so it must have been payback time. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-01-23          123317

Well KW I'm glad you found the low spots. I busy fighting of skeeters. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-23          123329

You are lucky you are not up in the mountains in the coastal range. I have gotten rain every day in the summer. After a time falling in the mountain fiords even the cuts on your leg will not heal. Although traveling through the Oregon valley last winter I was not impressed with the fog and rain. I made four trips and everyone was misserable. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-23          123330

We're in the western foothills of the coastal range. It always rains a lot here in the winter, but this is the first time I can remember having weeks of nearly constant rain day and night. There were very few breaks and they were short. But we've only lived here for twelve years. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-24          123359

Ken, a dehumidifier will solve that problem. I had a similar problem in the basement of our old house this summer when I removed the dehumidifiers when we moved out. Needless to say, when I returned to the "kingdom of fuzz", the dehumidifier was immediately returned. Fixed the problem. The dehumidifier had been in the basement for so long that I forgot about the problem and removed them prematurely. A good clorox & water cleaning will clean up the moldy stuff. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-24          123362

What would we do without bleach?

Using bleach is the only way I will handle stuff that the mice have pooh'd on.

Sorry, I mixed threads. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-24          123364

I've been thinking about installing a vent fan and circulating air in the rainy season. We pull into the garage with soaking wet cars several times a day. Could a dehumidifier keep up with all that moisture? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-24          123369

A dehumidifier would no doubt help the situation. During wet spells like you describe we open a couple windows till it dries up. I've learned my lesson so far as sloping the garage floor toward the doors, if I ever build another garage it will have a floor drain in the center. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-24          123371

Ken,

I used a dehumidifier to control moisture in 2,100 square foot basement. The only issue you may need to look at is emptying the water catch pan on a regular schedule or removing the water catch pan and placing the dehumidifier directly over a floor drain if you have one. Another option if the dehumidifier is so equipped is to use the drain hose to route the water out of the garage outside to a suitable drainage area. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-24          123383

I know how bad it can get. When I lived in northern Minnesota, the watertable was so high, I would get puddles in my basement during wet summers. I used a disk grinder to cut channels in the floor to route the water to the drain. The floor wasn't level and the house over 50 years old with no sump pump and limited drain tile.

I ran a dehumidifier 24/7 with a hold cut in the pan so it dripped right into the drain. Else I'd be emptying it twice a day. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-24          123396

There's a utility sink in the garage so drainage shouldn't be a problem. Building codes won't allow floor drains in garages here without equipment to filter the drain water. That's nutty since the garage slab drains to the soil anyway when it's hosed down. Our slab is sloped properly, no problems there. All the drippage from wet cars drains to the garage doors. It sounds like a dehumidifier is the way to go. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login