Go Bottom Go Bottom

old equipment

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-13          122719

It was fun to read about old tractors on another thread by some of you guys.

Which made me wonder, what is the oldest piece of equipment or tractor you have and then that you use.

Mine is a old tobacco setter used to set tobacco plants out. Use it now for planting garden. Must be 40 plus years old.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

old equipment

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-13          122720

I have a little box trailer that is the back of a 1920's pickup, does that count. I use it quite often and it is about 80 years old now. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
BrendonN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-13          122721

I have quite a few pieces of old iron that see regular duty. I have two old Deere tractors (1948 M and 1950 B), a '54 Allis combine, Deere 2-14 plow on steel wheels, a planter from the mid-70s, and a bunch of walk-behind garden tractors from the '50s.
To me the enjoyment of old farm equipment is the chance to get it out and use it. Not that I don't enjoy looking at immaculate resoration jobs too, but I would rather drool over old tractors that actually get out and work. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
harvey

2006-01-13          122723

A 1944 Farmall M. Have obtained all the manuals for it including the War Tractor rubber tire warnings.

I was raised on Red tractors my first to drive was a H I could just barely push the clutch and brakes at the same time but that was a requirement to be able to drive it in the field while grown ups loads hay or shocks of oats or corn.

It gets used frequently for grunt work and a occasional Sunday afternoon ride (Saturday am really) around the country side. Photos on pic somewhere. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-13          122725

It is good to see the old being used to me too. The workmanship of some of the old equipment is just great. Don't think China workmanshp matches it.

Peters, bet you wish you had the rest of that pickup. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-01-13          122726

Do you still use your AC combine? Is that the model that the straw come out the side? We had an AC when I was a kid. I can't remember the model but yours sounds kind of familiar. I believe ours had a 5' cutter bar and had a canvass feed. Just was if it was the same as your? ....

old equipment

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-13          122727

Yes I wish I had the front half as it is not a common Ford or Chevy, but a Studebaker or something. I have the 60's MF 65 to pull it with. I have a set of Deere bottom plows from the 30's also. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
BrendonN

2006-01-14          122732

In response to DK's question above, yes, the combine gets used every year to harvest my patch of wheat. I also take it to our local antique tractor show and demonstrate it there. It is an All-Crop 66 (66" sickle vs the earlier model's 60") and does send the straw out the side like the one you are remembering. They were very popular in their day. At our show I get a lot of comments like "Yeah, when I was a kid my dad had one just like this . . ." ....

old equipment

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-01-14          122734

I've got two restored H Farmalls and a Cub Farmall that do a bit of parade duty, The oldest one I still use is a 1965 "656" Farmall. Frank. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-01-14          122740

I restored a '47 Farmall A and a '52 Super C. The SC is my plowing tractor in the spring, and sometimes use it for moving rocks and dirt with a box blade or carrying firewood and dragging logs; even brush hogged with it some last year. The A has no lift system (I ditched the exhaust lift set-up) so I use it to pull a trailer and occasional hauling firewood in a carryall.

My NH compact is still used for tilling, finish mowing, and running a 3ph backhoe.

Sometime in the future I plan to set up a belly mower for the A, maybe eventually get some turf tires for it.

The old tractors are fun. It really makes you appreciate live PTO and live hydraulics.

Good luck,
Bill ....

old equipment

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-14          122779

Have any of you had any experience with a tractor that started on gas and then switched to diesel or kersone to run on? A neighbor had an old Farmall (I think)that did. His sounded like a 2 cyl JD or close to that. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-14          122782

The MD or any of the more advanced models like the SMD didn't sound quite right on gas but was very economical once switched to diesel. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-01-14          122783

We have a long-time family friend that has a dual-fuel Farmall H. The engine was stuck when he bought it; he and Dad got it freed up and disassembled it; got the major parts to fix it; then he lost interest in it. He has offered to give it to me a couple of times but it would be a losing deal no matter how I sliced it.

That is the only one I've seen in person; so I've yet to hear one run or see how the fuel switch-over works.

Bill ....

old equipment

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-01-16          122829

BillMullins; There can be some confusion about the term "Dual Fuel" in old tractors. The MD started on gasoline then were switched to diesel after they warmed up. I think the term "Dual Fues" was meant to describe H's, M's and most all brands of tractors built in that era that were started on gasoline, then after warm up the operator switched from the small gas tank to the regular size fuel tank that contained keroseen. They were not diesels, they ran on with a carburetor and spark ignition. keroseen, distillate, or power fuel were common terms used for this fuel, It was less expensive than gasoline, but was sometimes difficult to use, the gasoline was used for starting because distillate would'nt ignite in a cold engine. When the engine was shut off the fuel was shut off at the distillate tank and the carburetor was run dry otherwise no gas could get in the carb for restarting. Most all of the dual fuel tractors were converted to run on gasoline in later years, so likely the H your father has will run fine on regular gas. Frank. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-01-16          122831

Frank,
That helps. I've sort of figured out the dual-fuel tractors through the years. although everybody seems to have a different opinion about what "distillate" fuel was. And I agree that most of the d-f tractors have been converted in one way or another to run on gasoline only.

In any case, I kind of figured that the odds were better that kthompson saw a dual-fuel tractor rather than an MD. I just forget that in other places the bigger tractors were more popular; in this area of the Appalachias, an H or an 8N is about the biggest working antique you'd see.

Bill ....

old equipment

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-01-16          122837

Bill; To my knowledge the "H Framall" was never produced as a diesel, only gasoline or dual fuel, (gas/distillate). There were othere things such as crank controlled radiator shutters, and an exhaust heated manifold to help the distillate burn better. If you see an old Farmall with a white arrow above the "run" section of the heat guage, that was meant to be the ideal water temp to operate the engine, you controlled the temp with the little crank on the lower part of the steering wheel support,. it adjusted the shutters. Frank. ....

old equipment

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-16          122841

Bill and Hardwood,
I think you are correct on what the tractor my neighbor had. I was not sure what the second fuel was. He also had it converted to run on gas only but health preventing him from using it much after that conversion.

With the cost of fuel today, we may see another attempt at dual fuels.
kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login