Go Bottom Go Bottom

I love winter

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-09          120737

Yes it may be cold and it may be windy and it may be icy. But I get to use the tractor every time it snows! I may be cold and a bit sore when I go back inside the house, but I go in the house with a smile on my face!

Think the wife would be mad if I used the loader to pile up snow to make obscene snow sculptures? I hope all of you enjoy the winter weather a touch more because of the excuse to use the tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

I love winter

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-09          120742

We got about 5-6 inches during the night. I did 3 driveways this morning in town with my little walk behind. That gives me some excercise.

Still have 3 more to do out in the country. I'm behind and don't have my wind breaker cab nor rear blade on yet for the CUT. My backup is a lawn tractor with 45" dual stage and cab. That didn't want to start this am. Will maybe jump it.

Hoping the weather will warm up this weekend and get the windbreaker and rear blade on. It sure gets cold in the country when the wind blows.

It is enjoyable work, driving around, no matter what it is. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-09          120752

I hear ya Yoop. We got about 4" yesterday on top of the 1-2" from a few days earlier that I didn't clean up. I did get the rear blade on the CUT with the first snowfall but not without some issues that could have been avoided had I been a bit more pro-active.

I know what you mean by the wind. I'm in the country, on top of a hill with no trees big enough yet to block the wind. When it's bad enough, I wear a snowmobile helmet to keep the wind off my head and face. It works pretty good. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Carldarnell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-09          120778

I don't love winter but I do love using my tractor. We were supposed to get 3-5" of snow but got freezing raid instead. I did go out in the middle of the nite and grade the subdivision road for the hell of it though and enjoyed it. It is roughed up enough to not be slippery now. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-10          120784

We got 10 inches in my area. I have a larger simplicity snowblower which does the driveway and heavy work for me. Then I have a smaller snowblower I can pick up and carry up the steps to our deck and poolyard. Then there is just plain shoveling. I am sore today from all the work involved in cleaning out my house and my Mother's house.

My wife is nuts. She has me make paths around the house, around the pool, shovel snow off roofs etc. She wants everything to be as open in the winter as in the summer. The good news is - while I was cleaning out my Mother's house she used the large snowblower - and when I came home she was exhausted.

She tells me how much work this is! Like I didn't know. So I tell her we should have a front blade for the JD4310 so at least the driveway cleanup would be quicker. And she agrees! So I will make a phone call today, but I expect the price will be too high. And I don't have the welding skills many of yuou have :( Oh Well! ....

I love winter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-10          120786

Egads! $1400 for a boom mounted blade from the JD Dealer? I guess I will continue to use my Simplicity snow blower. No wonder so many folks make their own from a plow for a pickup! ....

I love winter

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-10          120787

Ncrunch, The big box stores sell a Snow Bear plow that will fit on any pick-up and even some mini-vans for $1100

Might be an option, I had one in Alaska and used the heck out of it.

Speaking of Alaska..... I talked to my brother there yesterday. It was 45 degrees with water running in the streets. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-10          120791

Thanks for the info DR, the snow bear plows do look interesting. But even $1100 is way to much for me to spend on my small driveway. I will continue to watch the local advertising for used equipment. My Simplicity snowblower actually has been doing a fabulous job for me for the past 15 years. I just have a very wide part of the driveway where it can't throw beyond the edges.

Warm weather in Alaska is always a scary notion. It makes you wonder what the future holds for us. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-10          120793

Actually there is only so much arctic air to go around.

If you guys back east are getting slammed, it is with the air mass the would normally reside over Alaska. When it moves south it is replaced by warm air from the Gulf of Alaska and Anchorage gets Kodiak's weather.

Next time you read about the citrus crop freezing in Florida, check the weather in Anchorage. It will be in the forties or warmer. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-11          120853

Artic air mass? Yeah, we had it squating over Iowa for a couple of weeks. It was only on Friday that our temp climbed into double digits. Quite a few mornings were in the -5 to -15 degree F range. I had delayed in spreading the insulation I bought. I had it in teh attic, I just didn't spread it since I hate that part of the job. So there I was, -10 outside and I'm in the attic spreading insulation... Doh!! ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-11          120857

I think I grew up too long ago.

My winter memories are tempered with a pile of snow and a snow shovel. A typical snow fall was 12-24 inches or more of wet heavy stuff. We would slog our way to school trying not to loose a boot. After school I would come home to find a mountain in front of the drive way. Naturally the artic front would have shifted by then and it was beginning to freeze or was frozen at -15 or 20 F. On the command;"Get that drive way cleared so you father can get in off the road when he gets home!!" I would spend the the next couple of hours trying to hack my way through the cement like 3-4-5' pile with my snow shovel. Most of the time I would bearly have enough space for my Dad to squeeze in with the truck. Naturally this only happened every 3-4 days with more than 40' of the white stuff over the winter and it lasted only 5 months of the year. With the cutting of the banks etc. you worked the piles almost every day in between. Snow blowers were out of the question with gravel roads and heavy wet sticky snow.
What I would not have given to have a little 4 wheel drive CUT and FEL. Talk about turning agony to joy!! ....

I love winter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-11          120865

When I was a kid I remember the "Blizzard 0f 1958". We were out of school for a week. No snowplows could get through. A neighbor had a bulldozer and came up the road and plowed us all out. I forget how much snow there was but it was substantial. I have never seen anything like that again. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Carldarnell

2005-12-12          120913

Hey Iowafun, better than in the attic at 120deg in the summer huh. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-12-12          120914

Peters/ ncrunch; You guys are making me feel old now. Most of the rural roads in the county we lived in when I was a kid were just mud roads, most of the road ditches were higher than the road it self, and a lot of the way brush was grown up along each side making the road a snow trap. Most any amount of snow and some wind had us snowed in. The county had some crawler tractors with "V" plows that would get us out in a day or two. I remember waking up in the night hearing the "clank clank" of those old cats going past. In the mid 50's the county got a lot of roads graded with nice deep wide ditches, high grades, and most of the brush cleared out, that was a great improvment. Being snowed in wasn't a real panic situation then as everyone in the country was prepared with a big wood pile lots of canned goods in the cellar, Amos and Andy or the Great Gildersleve on the radio. I used to like snow too when I was a kid but have mostly gotten over that by now. Great memories. Frank. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-12          120915

Peters - my parents never got a snowblower until after my brother and I moved out of the house. We always shoveled the drive when we got home. A good workout for sure! But that front where the plow went by always did suck. That stuff freezes and is compacted hard. I don't miss that.

I shoveled my front walk last week and I wasn't thrilled with that. Ok, it sucked and my back was sore afterwards. The CUT really spoils me, but because of the CUT, I don't groan at the thought of snow. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
harvey

2005-12-12          120927

Frank I recall the small trucks back then. Our town had Brockways gassers. 200hp tops it was no wonder they could not keep the country roads open.

Its amazin what a big Walter or OsKosh can do with out straining.

I enjoy winter, not as much now cause I work year round. I've lost a lot of my play time in the snow. BUT snow is still for playing. ....

I love winter

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-13          121004

Well we had large graders and one 6x6 with a plow when I was a kid. It snowed so hard a few times,(with no wind) that we had to go probing for the cars. The residential blowers did not have enough power to blow the heavy wet stuff. I is a bit hard to blow when the piles are 12-15-20 ft high.
I can recall them sending a D9 down the road to get it clear after a particularly bad dump.
We often had sticky wet snow that would plug even the tunnel on the snow mobile. Just a little difficult to blow.
On the brighter side it was a beautiful sunny day in Alabama, it was the mid 60's and I was out working on the lawn this afternoon.
Cheers friends. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login