Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ruger Super RedHawk- 454 Casull

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-21          119644

Was wondering if anybody out there has a Super RedHawk in the .454 Casull? I'm having trouble with different loads shooting drastically off. When shooting the Winchester 250 Gr. jacketed hollowpoints at 25 yards everything is good. When shooting the same loads at 50 yards, the group shifts 6 to 8 inches to the left. When Shooting Hornady loads at 25 yards, it shoots 2 to 3 feet straight down from the target. Magtron ammo shoots 2 feet to the left at 25 yards. It is also supposed to shoot 45 Long Colts. They are so far off I can't tell where they are going past about 6 feet away.

Anybody having the same problem. I'm shooting the 7 1/2" barrel model with open sights.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-21          119650

As a want to be sure shot I am impressed you can tell this so accuractly. I use the big side of the barn for my shooting. I do think this is why your real sure shots test so much ammo to find what is best in that gun for their shooting. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-11-21          119667

I don't have one of those hoglegs.... but I do have a Redhawk. It has been my experience that when using the same bullet weight things tend to be more predictable despite differing velocities.

What are the bullet weights of those loads? Do they vary a lot? I would think that the one that is shooting lowest might also be the lightest bullet weight.

Most of the 454 loadings are so powerful that they produce a tremendous amount of torque and even a small change in the way you hold the gun can have a pronounced effect on paper.

Sometimes it will shoot differently as you tire out late in a shooting session and you grip strength gets weaker.

I would zero a given load at 50 yards and then back off the 25 and see how it prints. Make sure you are not resting the barrel on the shooting rest.... only the grips should touch the rest.

I am probably preaching at the choir here..... ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-22          119673

I had shot almost a box of rounds through it before making my measurements with the Winchester 250 gr. hollowpoints. Granted, I was a little fatigued from hanging on!

I shot a 9 shot group at 25 yards within a 4" circle with most being within 3". The 50 yard grouping was with 6 shots in an oval pattern with the height being 4" and the width 6". The center of that grouping was about 6"+ to the left. From that spread it appears I'm pulling a little.

The Magtron and Hornady rounds were 260 gr. but loaded allot hotter. I'm aware that different loads shoot differently but not 2 or 3 feet out of position at that distance.

The 45 Colt ammo was 200 gr. hollowpoints. They shoot like a .22 compared to the rest of the ammo. If I can't hit a 2 ft. square target at 10 feet away something is definitely wrong!!!!

I made a camera tri-pod as my shooting stick and it has a fabricated rubber V-pad that the pistol rests in. I do not rest it on the barrel but the frame portion just ahead of the trigger guard.

I know what you mean about a pistol or rifle only liking certain rounds. My Winchester .30-30 likes Winchester 150 gr. power points. The 170 gr. shoot about 4-6 inches off at 100 yards.

My feeling is something is wrong, possibly with my pistol but maybe the twist is not correct. Usually if the twist rate is not high enough, heavier bullets seem to spiral out of the barrel.

This is my first big bore pistol beyond .357 Mag. I've seen people with big bores at the range and not being able to hit much of anything but they were shooting off-hand.

I admit to have vision problems. I shoot using my tri-focal focusing on the front sight. The rear sight is a little fuzzy and the object is real fuzzy. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-11-22          119681

Boy, do I know about the tri-focal thing!

I am considering getting a pair of glasses made with the middle prescription only for the entire lens. It is more important to see the front sight clearly than anything else.

The only way to get the 45 Colts to print any where near the others is to use the same or greater bullet weight.

You really made a quantum leap from a 357 to a 454. Try zeroing it at the maximum range you are going to shoot and then see what it will do at 25 yards. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-22          119685

Be careful with a full tri-focal. You will find yourself tripping over stuff and stepping imaginary steps. You can also get dizzy from things being out of focus.

Ya, the .454 with hot loads has almost twice the energy of a .44 Mag. I'll try zeroing in at 50 yards and see what happens.

I'm kinda disappointed so far with the .454 as well as with my .17HMR. Shoulda got the .44 Mag and .22 Mag instead. I have several .357 Mags. and they all shoot so nice and consistent. I was looking at the S&W .460. It shoots the .460 as well as the .454 and .45 Colt. I suppose I coulda spent another $600.00 to find out the same thing. When it is all said and done you can only reasonably shot one brand of ammo with one grain and point size. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-12-02          120281

Update on my Ruger Super RedHawk. I took it back to the gun shop and they (their pro) fired all my different ammo. There is a difference of only a couple of inches between them all. It was me all along!!!! The Winchester rounds shot an inch or so high at 25 yards. The MagTech and Hornady were about 1-2" below the sight line as were the 45LC. The pro held a 3 shot group of 1 1/2inches with the Hornady's (Hot loads) at 25 yards using a rest.

I felt like a fool. A good friend of mine, who also shoots allot had problems with it too. I need to hang on harder with the hot loads or just stay away from them. It is funny that I shot as good as the pro on one brand of ammo and lost it on the others, even the light loads. Oh, well practice makes perfects. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-02          120302

Don't feel like a fool. The 454 is basically a handheld 45-70.

It takes a very seasoned shooter to deal with the recoil, especially with a double action grip frame.

Single action grip frames are easier on the hands, but require repositioning after every shot. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-02          120307

Learning to deal with that much recoil is going to take a good bit of practice and training. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 629-2. More or less a "Chief of Police Special" on steroids. 44 magnum with a 3 inch barrel and Goncalvo rose wood grips. The muzzle flip and recoil is phenominal. I use 44 special to practice with. Just can't see the point in beating myself up like that. If you want a high powered hog leg with near zero recoil and outstanding accuracy, have you considered a Desert Eagle in 44 magnum or 50 Action Express? My wife can fire my Desert Eagle with confidence. The only draw backs are severe muzzle flash when firing at night or dusk. Using the recommended IMI ammo, it would throw a muzzle flash out to about 6 ft. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-02          120310

They will light up the night.

I am a little surprised you wife can get a good hold on the Desert Eagle.

That's a big grip. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-03          120346

After reading all of this it's a wonder why I reload all my hunting ammo. The factory stuff puts you in a tizzy for sure with the different loads and no sure way of knowng how many grains they have unless you disassemble a bullet.

I bought a Winchester 94 in 45 LC and the factory ammo was about as slow as a 1974 Chevy Vega and very unpredictable. I ended up reloading it a little hotter to 44 mag specs.

Even my 375 Holland and Holland Mag shoots different with varried factory stuff (if you can find it) than my reloads.

The good thing about reloading or sticking with one high quality ammo is when you are off paper you know it's you and not the gun or ammo. I got tired of staying up at night mad that my new $800 rifle or handgun had a bent barrel! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login