Go Bottom Go Bottom

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-17          115011

I think I may have made a mistake leaving the dealership.
This has got to be by far the worst place I have ever worked. They do not want to fix any thing right (band-aids). Most of the trucks (60 of them) have 300,000 plus miles and are in desperate need of a crusher.

One example, a 1986 Mack tri axle dumper. 1,750,000 miles two cracked heads. Total parts to repair $4,200. That is too much to put into that he says. So I get a used engine with god know how may miles $3,700 plus the pressure plate for the clutch is shot and need to switch manifolds there is another $900.

Oh well at least the pay is good.

I know this is pointless and hostile.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-17          115012

Welcome to a well run large company! As long as his books look good for him, Well you know! ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-17          115013

Sorry to hear that. This is what my wife would call "mindless cheaposity". At least the pay is good. ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2005-08-17          115020

I often consider leaving my current employer because of the same kind of stuff you describe but I know it would be a waste of time because just about everyplace is the same in that regard. Its my experience that the upper management types dont care what kind of hoops you have to jump through or what kind of conditions you have to work in day in and day out as long as it doesnt hurt the bottom line.
The main problem where I work is that the management tends to be promoted or fired after two or three years so they have no long term goals. Every decision they make is an attempt to keep under this years or next years budget and whatever happens after that will be someone elses problem, consequently, everything is a cheap bandaid. ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
Justus

2005-08-17          115023

Oneace, I can't add a lot to this board when it comes to the technical or mechanical subjects addressed here. As someone here once described themselves, I'm one of the lurk and learn members. BUT, having had a heart attack at 49 years old (while running), when I thought I was in great shape, I can tell you and everyone on this board that this stress crap can kill you. When I say stress, I mean that that is real and that that is created by our own genetics. I told you before about liking what you do. It's worth a cut in pay if you can go into work enjoying what you do instead of feeling sick while driving to work in the morning. I know jobs are difficult to come by but believe me, you can like what you do for a living. It seems to me I remember you having a picture of a little girl on your profile. I think she would want you around for a long time. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge with tractors and enjoy them. Perhaps it would behoove you to swallow some pride and talk to your former employer. If you left under friendly circumstances maybe he wishes he had you around and maybe you can negotiate an increase in pay to return. If you didn't leave under friendly circumstances perhaps you can learn from any possible mistakes and apply at another dealer. Sorry for the long winded reply but it's something I feel strongly about. Steve ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-18          115036

Ace, just keep telling yourself, "I get paid to swing wrenches.".

I don't mean to come off as a jerk here, I mean it as sincere advice, as Justus said, stress kills, it nearly killed me too, I learned.

Seriously, it's not your company, the most you can do, and you owe it to your boss and yourself to do it, is to very respectfully suggest to him that in your opinion, there is a better way to do something. Don't be anything but happy and friendly in doing so, just remind him that he hired you for your mechanical knowledge and ability.

It will go better if you have all the facts in front of you when you do it, and just make it short and clear. If profit is his motivation, showing a better, cheaper way to do it will likely be well received. It would be dumb not to listen.

Best of luck. ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos

2005-08-18          115044

brokenarrow
I have to agree with you on this. Also, the old saying-
that as a company(business) gets larger, it gets more
inefficient it gets-does have merit. I think much of this is due to the
many 'layers' of management in big business. As someone
who practiced dentisty for 25 years and was aware of
all phases of my business, I could see how bigger
businesses would not be able to have the specific 'hands-
on' control that I did. I never had more than 6 employees,
so I am probably in no position to judge, but the bottom
line is- I was always very profitable and it was by
design-not by luck.
doc ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-18          115048

oneace, I strongly second what Murf and Justus are saying about stress. I worked in aviation maintenance for over 20 years during my little stint with Uncle Sammy. If you think management is insane in the civilian world; they can't even compete with the level of stupidity the military dreams up. All I can say is to keep your eye on the goal and your duties at work and be VERY diplomatic in your suggestions to make changes. A VERY wise Colonel gave me some EXCELLENT advice about dealing with a crappy situation. "When given dog shit.........make chocolate milk!" He didn't say that in a sense of being a smartass or belittlement. He meant that no matter what life serves up; do your best to use the circumstances and resources given you to make the mission happen be successful. A LOT easier said than done but if you are persistent and resourceful perhaps you can get the bosses attention and build credibility with him to make those suggestions and changes you want to try. Good luck and I sure hope things are just getting off to a bit of a rough start but get much better. ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
oneace

2005-08-18          115052

I hope things get better to. He is growing rapidly and the shop has never been run right. There is no set system so to say. Not to mention how many people think "THEY" are the boss. I am not going to say this ship is sunk just yet. I know it is going to take time to get things running they way a shop should run, after all that is part of what I was hired to do. I am just very impatient.

I am just weary of hearing "fix it now But haven forbid don't spend any money doing it".

Well I will end this rant for now. Thanks for listening and for the advise. ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
oneace

2005-09-09          116151

Well I quit on Tuesday. After all the lies and disrespect the owner has shown to me I could not take his crap any more. ....

Any body have a band-aid

View my Photos
Justus

2005-09-09          116157

Sorry to hear things didn't work out Oneace. Can you go back to the dealership or do you have anything else in mind? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login