Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-27          113980

I have a massive ground hornets nest in my back yard. They took up residence in an old gofer hole (trail system)LOL. I would not worry too much because it is in theback of the back yard but I have an ole crippled up dog that my wife loves way more than me, and I am affraid she will mess with the area and be attacked as fall comes and they get more aggressive. Since I have NOT had to cut the grass for over a month and a half (NO RAIN) until this week, I have not noticed this and they have had the opportunity to thrive WAY too long. I can count 10-15 entering in less than 25 seconds and many leaving during the same time. This went on for more than a half hour as I sat and watched the other day. Although it was almost 100 deg. that day and they may of been more active. The next day I still counted almost as many. I would think this could be a very very large nest. While it was pouring rain out 2 days agao, I went out and took a look. They STILL were flying in and out non stop even in the rain! I sprayed a whole can of wasp killer Ortho) the kind that foams, last night. Did next to nothing! Still in and out today. The hole is on the edge (to almost under) of a bush so lighting this bad boy on fire could be disaterous (BIG BUSH)!!! LOL.
Any suggestions? My bride suggested a professional? My pride wont let me do this at this point yet! If my dog gets it tomaroo I will pay for a long time si I better atleast look like I am trying something?
Any suggestions?

help Mate's (and Sheila's)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hornet help

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-27          113982

What I do is buy some time release professional style poison from bugspray dot com, mix it with bacon grease, and set it out. The drones take the bait back to the nest and feed it to all the others killing 'em. But this won't happen overnight. Around here bacon grease works well but other food products may work well too. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-27          113990

watch the bacon grease with the dog. My dogs love bacon grease.

The actual nest may be far enough underground that the long reach sprays can't reach and you only end up killing those present at that time.

You could try plugging the other holes and flooding it, but it would probably take too much water especially since Wisconsin has been so dry.

I'd think about giving Kwschumm's idea a try as long as you can put the grease where the dog can't get at it. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-27          113991

I had a wasps nest near the ground in our front foundation planting where I could not spray that foam wasp spray up the nest hole. Ultimately, I scrarificed my wifes flowers by driving over the nest with my Tundra.

Then I blasted the crushed nest with the spray from the safety of my truck.

Hmmmmmm did not impress the wife though with thread marks over her flowers :-O.

But since the old dog that she loves much more than me had been bitten several times she forgave me rapidly :-)

Here is an idea for you if you have only one hole, buy a house fumigator canister, drop it in the hole after dark when they are asleep, cover it with a five gallon pail with a rock, or just a slab of slate and run out of there fast. Never tried it myself but it should penetrate down the hole.

Hornet help

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-07-27          113992

Iowafun is right about the bacon grease and dogs and I wasn't clear about setting it out. Bugspray dot com sells hanging wasp bait traps that you bait and hang from trees so animals can't get it (and neither can birds because of the design). They also sell some baits. I've tried their lingonberry and salmon paste baits and they don't work as well as bacon grease, in our area anyway. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-07-28          113998

One solution is to let your wife do the job :) My wife always goes out at night and sprays the nests while they are sleeping - as Dennis suggests. (Get a direct shot in the hole of the nest and they shouldn't be feeling too good.) We have never gotten stung using the night time method.

I usually get stung about once a year with some minor swelling - not too bad. A couple of weeks ago I opened my shed door and - pow - I thought someone hit me in the chin with a rock. The whole side of my face was swollen like I was Popeye, it went numb like I had 2 shots of novicane. I had to go lay down and use an ice pack for a couple of hours until the swelling went down. My wife says it was a yellowjacket. They are nasty buggars! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-07-28          114012

Since the nest seems to be in an underground tunnel system, you could also try piping the exhaust from a small gasoline motor into one of the holes. It certainly works with the gophers.

I think that the insect bomb idea might work also.

For groundhog tunnels, we would put in gasoline and wait for the fumes to penetrate before lighting it. You would see flames shoot out of every entrance and the problem was solved. Try to pick an entrance that is upwind of the main tunnel area. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-28          114022

LOL You guys are too funny! The gas idea was my first thought. X-NAYED it because we have hasd only 1-2 storms in over 45 days and they have been in this last week. So dry I think I would start the county on fire. Also the entrance is at the base of a (useless) shrub/bush. Its not worth anything but it would go up pretty high in flames and then there is the old huge Oak tree above that along with a 1/2 mile of brush and trees behind it. Although one more good rain and I will be considering it.
The house bomb idea is great except for the OTHER reason I forgot to mention. When I was 16 we were attacked pretty good by the same genious little buggers. A buddy was covering the hole with his foot (accidentally) for over a minuit!!! This was in Late Aug. and let me tell you I still remember the "cartoon like" cloud coming out from the hole! My bosses son got it 27 times that day anouther got it 16 stillanouther got it 9 times. I ran the OTHER way than those guys. Maybe I should of been with them because the screams to this day haunt me. Maybe I would not be so affraid of the hornets if I would of experianced it first hand. The stories they told me of how Glen was sweeping them off my bosses sons back as they were running. We were 1/4 mile back in the woods at the time! (PHEW) Ok thats the story and the reasons I fear them so much. Nothing I can do about it, my blood runs cold and my body just reacts with out me able to controll it. Sad but true! Whne I am on my tractor I need to pick the times I uses it and when and where and what I do with it in the fields. I will get ran over by the thing if I have a nest break open under neath me and they attack, because I WILL jump and run with out thinking about it I am sure!!!!
I called ORKIN! LOL $150. You have got to be kidding so I hung up. For $139 I can buy a bee suit! What do you think of that? Anyone ever use one? Would it protect me from an attack? Was thinking maybe it may be the way to go since then atleast I would have the thing for future use (Like plowing in the middle of August! LOL That would be a funny sight! "Hey dad, whats that guy on a tractor out in his field doing with a bee suit on?" "Oh, son, he must be a BEE farmer" EH? Right!!! Thats me a chicken in a mans suit.
Seroiusly though, what do you think about a bee suit? Then I may have the cahoonies to walk up to it at night and do all sorts of mean things to the hornets in the hole? ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-07-28          114030

I've been stung maybe a dozen times in a single instance. Not fun, but if you're not allergic you would live. They really don't bother me much. I've even mowed over the holes with a push mower without getting stung.

Anyway, a bee suit would protect you but wouldn't get rid of 'em. You still need a strategy for killing the nest. You could sit out there for days spraying the opening and every one you see and still not kill 'em all if the nest is deep. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-28          114034

I would be willing to bet there are 500 to over a 1000 down there. On the hot day last week I watched every few seconds 2-3 flying in at a time for many seconds in a row.
I have my plan! LOL
As soon as it rains again (maybe in Sept. at the rate its going down here) I will go out there at night with 2 10' pieces of 1" pvc connected with a connector. I will then shine a light accrossed the edge of where I think the exact opening is. I will push the end of this tube to the opening and pour about a gallon and a half of gass thru it dragging it thru the grass towards me when finished. (hopefully it will leave a trail of fuel all the way to where I stand. Light that babby up after about 10-20 seconds and grab the garden hose I will have waiting by my side. This may be risky especially if I do NOT hit the hole. I figure I should be able to get within 2-3" at the most away from the hole if I dont get it exactly so hopefully enough will get down there to make a heck of a concusion thru the hole. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-29          114056

Brokenarrow, that is too funny! makes me think of Caddy Shack and Bill Murray going after his nemisis the gopher.

Here are a couple more ideas:

1) if you have a bug zapper put it near the hole when they are sleeping then run it a couple hours before dark and in the morning for a couple of days. I have done this and it kills alot of them.

2) Connect that long length of PVC pipe to shop vac and suck them in. Then spray some insect spray into the end of the hose to kill them. ( I have never done this )

3) Take your PVC idea again and instead of gasoline, use a funnel to fill a portion of it with Sevin based powder. Use exhaust side of shop vac to blow into the hole at night. (again never tried myself)
3) Again take your PVC idea and instead of gasoline, use the PVC as a aquaduct to poor liquid sevin down their hole. (again never tried myself)

LOL ....

Link:   Bull Murry and the Gopher

Hornet help

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-29          114063

Take advantage of nature.

The wasps are all in the nest and asleep in the dark cool hours of the night. Go out there just before turning in one night and nuke 'em.

We use a foaming solution in spray cans. I had one in a crack in the brick work around the back of the garage, the little buggers got a full can of foam one night around midnight, never even saw one of them after that.

I'm told nightime is the only time to try since they're all in their and you get everyone of them.

Best of luck. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-07-29          114069

If you use the gasoline idea, it is a good idea to wait for the vapors to move throughout the colony. If you pour gasoline down the hole and dribble a trail to serve as a fuse, you will not be waiting long enough.

As far as lighting it, we used to throw matches into the hole from a few feet away. (but we were going after groundhogs and not flying stinging insects.) Anyway, I would say that we waited three or four minutes before trying to light the gasoline.

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-31          114146

All great advice. I see where Dennis is going, the gas idea (that I am still pondering with) is never a real good ecological idea. Although I really dont care about a one time shot of gas into the ground I still am a bit concerned obout my habitat we all just use for a little while.
Dennis, will sevin kill hornets? I have never looked at the container. Heck if it does I may just go buy a small truck load and dump it on the opening!
All I can say is that this is anouther good case for why I should buy a fully enclosed cab LS 185B. It would be fun digging them little turds up and watching them break their sorry stingers on my window! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-31          114158

Here is some guidance on how to protect honey bees from the dreaded Sevin application to crops:

" Proposed label language includes, “Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area.” This language would be applied to all carbaryl labels. The current bee warning on Sevin 5 Bait reads, “This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on crops. Protective information may be obtained from your Cooperative Agricultural Agent.” The current bee warning on Sevin XLR Plus reads, “This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. However field studies have shown that SEVIN brand XLR Plus Carbaryl Insecticide is less hazardous to honey bees than other carbaryl products when direct application to bees is avoided and the spray residues have dried. For maximum honey bee hazard reduction, apply from late evening to early morning when bees are not foraging. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are foraging in the treatment area. However, applications may be made during foraging periods if the beekeeper takes on of the following precautionary measures prior to bee flight activity on the day of treatment: (1) Confine the honey bees to the hive by covering the colony or screening the entrance or; (2) locate hives beyond bee flight range from the treated area. Precautionary measures may be discontinued after spray resides have dried. Contact you cooperative Agricultural Extension Service or your local Bayer CropScience representative for further information.”

So I can only guess they won't like it.

On onace's idea for a hose if you have access to a hot water line like I do in my garage putting 180 degree water down their hole will also have some impact. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-31          114164

Thanks alot Dennis for all that info and to ALL others that have helped this "chicken little" out. Right now I have a hose running at full force at what I hope is their entrance. I took my 12 foot painters extension, duct taped the hose to it and walked out there and layed her where I belive the entrance is. It has been running for an hour now and soon I will be turning it off. If I am lucky I will have a good flood down there. I figure I will turn her on every night for an hour or two till the little buggers either vacate or drown. Atleast the new borns that are down there should drown. Tomarrow I will check her out in the daylight and see for sure how close the hose is to the opening. I have more guts during the day than at night and I know that should be reversed but the thought of blindly being slapped by them is worse than knowing it is coming.
I think I need to see a shrink, maybe hypnosis could help me over come this fear.
On a side note though, this weekend I had one of my buddies to my farm/hunting land (LOL) He was one that was behind me when I tilled up a ground hornets nest when I was in the enclosed cab. He is NOT affraid of anything that flies. I told him we should till up that half acre that I have been spraying with round up to prepaire it for next year. LOL, He told me there is NO way this late in the year he will run my tractor doing that! (that makes me feel better) He said if he could see the ground he would do it but since there is still standing dead vegitation and can not tell if any activity is around this field, there is no way he is going to be seat belted to the slow form of a electric chair. I agreed and decided to wait till after the first few frosts this fall.
185B with an enclosed cab is looking better and better! Now I just need to hit the lottery ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2005-08-01          114183

In the evening when every body is home in the nest, pour in a ½ quart of Bo-Peep ammonia and about a ½ quart of bleach. As dry as its been here, you may have to mix them and then quickly pour them in together. When you see that blue smoke coming from the ground, fill the hole with dirt to drive the gas down in. If it comes out the second entrance fill it in too. I’ve used this on a number of ground nests, works every time. Don’t do this too close to the house, or well casing, if it kills bees, it’ll kill you too. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-08-01          114189

Brokenarrow, don't sweat being considered a chicken turd. I stepped on a hornet's nest when I was 4 or 5 years old. That set my opinion of bees/hornets for life.

I remember when my brother and I were on a road trip and a wasp got into the car. I was driving while my brother stood guard while I accelerated to the next off-ramp. Once there, locked the brakes and a chinese fire drill ensued as we flew out of the car! We then argued for 5 minutes over who was going to kill the wasp while passersby looked at us all funny. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-01          114195

JD855...The blue green smoke is Chlorine gas mixed with a bit of ammonia gas. That should do the trick on the hornets, alright. This mixture should not be particularly dangerous when done outside, but try not to breath the vapors. Concentrated vapors will also burn the eyes. Mixing these chemicals inside could easily send you to the hospital.

Personally I would not mix the chemicals BEFORE putting them in the hole because the evolution of the poisonous gas will be almost immediate. It might be possible to pour the two containers in together and then use one of the containers to plug the nest entrance quickly. This mixture should pose no long term soil contamination issue. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-08-01          114196

I have done the fire drill a few times myself, LOL.
The mixing of chemicals is a good idea, just how do I get it in the hole from , oh.. say 20 feet? The hose trick is still at there entrance, maybe I can pour one into one section of hose and the other into anouther section of this hose. connect the two sections and turn on the water at the third sectoin. This mill force it all into the hole from a safe distance, although it will be diluted a bit it will still be nasty?
Here is the update. Last night I ran a water hose in the nest hole for about an hour. Today when I got home from work I walked out there and saw next to no activity for well over 3 minuits. I decided to flood em again and low and behold, I walk back out there and I see many hornets flying around very angrily! (many meaning about 6 or 7 not a few hundred)_. Was wondering if I am really knocking them down a bit with the combo of sprays and water? I had decided to just flood em every day for a week. I figure sooner or later they are either going to drown,leave for dryer ground or sit in the weeds for the rat that turns on the water every day!
We will see tomaroo, if I see activity then I will try mixing the chemicals. This is more fun than spending $150 and getting it done right away! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-08-01          114220

Son and I mixed up some bleach and amonia. Half went in one hose half in the other. Ran it just long enough to get it all out and in. Update will come tomarroo.
Thanks all!!!!! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-08-02          114242

No, thank you! After reading the posts, I was reminded that I've got some old gas that needs to be disposed of. The gophers have started a come back (moving in from the fields). For giggles, I want to try the gas in the hole trick. It may not kill the gopher, but I'll be happier! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-08-02          114264

Your NOT going to believe this! I got stung in the back! Just a grazing warning sting (I think) (like I said you wont believe this) NOT from the nest in the back of the back yard! My bride TOLD me to cut the patches of grass that are where the hose's meet (a slight leek from when I water the garden makes for the only green in the neighborhood) I have not cut the lawn since the first week in JUNE! No need NO rain. I was using a push mower around the old fence line that I removed this spring and relocated. It had "T" posts as fence posts for the welded wire fencing. You guessed it! Anouther ground hornet nest. I mowed over the same spot three times consecutively and on the third time I moved the mower back I saw them coming. Leaving the mower in place and running was a good thing as they all consumed the mower except for the one with the right eye that looks left and had a bent wing. For what ever reason he decided to push me a bit faster away and nailed me in the back. YES, I had NO shirt on since it was 87 degree's.
Do you think I got a thank you for cutting these patches of grass? This nest will be no problem. It looks small and I know it only goes down about 10 inches. Besides that I saw only about 25 hornets around the mower. I can handle this one!
Update on the large nest? I see absolutely NO activity around it and plan to investigate this more in the coming days. Makes me wonder if the queen from the other nest decided to relocate after being flooded out twice? More than likely just anouther nest!
I have never had a nest in my yard in 8 years and this year I have 2? I bet you can guess what I will be doing this fall and spring? Filling every hole around with sand and dirt and killing EVERY one of those rotten ass gopher's that I used to get along with! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-08-03          114278

Running away from bees is a bad thing to do. They will always attack when they got you on the run.

My lab ran past a hive this past weekend and got nailed in the rear leg. It bothered her for a couple of days and she had a fever (warm nose) but she is up to taking treats again. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-08-03          114308

Sorry to hear that pete. I am sitting at my computer and watching the ground hornets come in and out of the NEW nest. It is about 15 feet from my window and with binoculars I can see every one come and leave. Unless the hot weather toady has something to do about it, I under estimated the amount of hornets in the nest! They come to the nest like planes dropping on an aircraft carrier after a mission and all low on fuel. They are coming and leaving at a rate of 1 every 2-3 seconds!!!! I better hit this nest tonight right away!!!!! Maybe the multiplier is working over time this week.
I am so frusterated with this summer I can not explane! I feel like a prisoner in my own house because of the hornets out back! Anyone know a good shrink? My fenced portion of yard is 100'x220'. In this area I have a large paper hornets nest in the middle top of one of my tree's. That does not bother me, they are cool! Up and out of the way and they seem to never mess with us so I have no problem with them. I also have the hinged yellow and blck wasp under my deck. This is a first (also) I have been nailing them one at a time as they emerge or enter thru the deck boards. Dont know how big that nest is but I have killed about 15 in 4 days now. Anouther hornets nest (same kind) under my kids (old) wood play centre out back. I hit it with spray last week but apparently not good enough so I need to redo it. The ground hornets nest out back seems to be dead (or did they relocate????) Now I have this ground hornets nest right by my house. I did not mention the 2 sheds I have, heavy activity on the one out back by wasp and I have no clue as to where inside that nest is. Bottom line is that I will NOT be going into that shed till the 3rd hard freeze! LOL.
Paranoid? I think so, but at the same time I have never had this many wasp (no where near this many) at any one time so I may be justified to be a bit cautious. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-03          114314

I grew up in the Midwest. Every year when we would get one piece or another of the farm equipment going, there would be yellow jacket nests. They would get into combines, hay balers, you name it. We actually got used to it to a degree. It seemed that the insects would build in similar places every year. For example, they would have a nest in the twine box of the hay baler every year. We got to where we would just open the box and toss a container of diesel or gasoline if we saw any activity at all. It kills them immediately.

Arrow...I use one of those propane weed burners to deice and to burn tumbleweeds. One of those might work on a shallow nest also. But, you said that it has been very dry there and of course there is a fire potential. If you can use it, the big propane flame will certainly kill and disable the yellow jackets as fast as they can come out of the nest. I guess that the success would depend on the size of the second nest and the number of entrances. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-03          114318

I was talking to an old fella up the road today while I was at the Post Office, I asked him if he had any remedies for wasps or hornets.

Sure enough, he said the easiest way to get them was with spray foam insulation. Wait till well past dark when they're all inside and dormant, then stick the little tube in the nest and give them a good blast.

They're sealed in, guaranteed.

If there's a second entrance it will become evident next day, next night repeat the spraying in the next hole.

The best part he claims is later in the year you can just use a garden fork and dig out the hardened foam and toss it in the garbage.

What did I ever do for conversation and ideas when I lived in the city and had mail dropped in my door?

Best of luck. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-08-05          114443

Well they lived thru the foam spray that made it look like a shaving creme mess on top of the ground on top of thier hole. I gave them one more good shot tonight of the remaining cans. If they live thru this I will pour a gallon of diesel down the hole! I am done messing around!
Thanks alot guys for all the great ideas! ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
alvanko

2005-08-21          115198

Sprinkle SEVEN dust in and around the hole. They carry it in with them and it will kill the nest in a day or two. Get a bag at your local flower shop/garden center. It is a powder. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-08-21          115209

Thanks, read about that method too.
SEE THE BACK YARD THIS FALL. Thats about the next time I am going out to that place! TALK ABOUT UNREAL!!!! Your not going to believe me AGAIN! I wear glasses and can barely see thru these scratched up things right? Wrong! From 50 yards away, looking at the filtered light coming thru tree's(the sun that is low in the sky right now 6.30 pm I am looking at a shed I have way outback. I see little darts flying towards the door and disapearing. Of course the first thing I think of is hornets! I walk back there and count 10 flying in and 7 OUT in 15 seconds. I will bet you that I do not open that door till about November!!! How much you all want to bet? LOL I should really go get a better look at em though. On friday my new neighbor was starting his garage and a swarm of (the good guys) honey bee's took up resisdence in a tree right where he was staring his building. He told me that he hoped they moved on by Sat. morn. (Which they did) I actually like the honey bee's. I wont kill oe of their nests since they seem to be on the decline around here and pollination of many apple tree's depends so much on thos critters. Like I said, I should go get a better look at what is going in and out of that shed. Wonder if that swarm found a new place to start a hive? Here is a fact. Just to prove that I am not crapping you all. Come Nov. first (remember this guys) I will go out open that shed up and take a picture of the nest in there. If it is he hornets, I would bet you it is going to be an impressive paper nest!
YUK!!!! I hate hornets so darn much its frightening! Never never have I ever had a year like this one! Look back at last years posts (of mine) You never heard me fear them like you here me this year. WHY? because this is the year from hell for me with flying stinging little crappers!.
OOPS Looks like this should of gone in hostile and useless? Sorry, ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login