Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-18          113592

A discussion at the coffee shop today centered on what would be the rare most collectable Corvette. Nobody there owns one it was just a topic someone brought up. But with personal favorites aside, there must be a top dog. Thanks, Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-18          113595

I've never been much of a Corvette fan, but from my perspective it's gotta be the split window coupe. Was that a 63? ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-18          113596

I've never followed the Corvette thing either although generations have. I agree with Ken, some like myself really go for the '63 split window. Isn't that funny that we don't follow Vettes much and still know about the '63. Others like the originals like the '53. Some go for the anniversary years like the '93 ZR-1. I think they've lost their appeal as compared to periods like from the 50's to 70's because so many differnt brands are out there. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-18          113597

I don't know if a modified Corvette qualifies as a collectable or not, but I certainly saw a rare one.

We were building a golf course down in the Islands and the owner had a '71 (I think it was) Sting Ray rag-top.

The hook was, he had the selling dealer in Miami do a conversion to make it a right-hand drive car. The Island was a former British colony and they drove on the right side of the road, he said he didn't feel comfortable driving a left hand drive car on the off-side, so he had it converted before it left the dealers lot.

He took me for a spin in it, it was VERY disconcerting to sit on the left side and not have a steering wheel, or BRAKE pedal, as we sailed down narrow mountain roads. Yikes!!!!

He also had a right-hand drive Caddie rag-top.

Best of luck. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-07-18          113598

My buddy who has 3 vettes and won some corvette awards says the most rare corvette is the 1953 model - 1st year - 300 made. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-07-18          113599

I would have to say my favorite would be from 1965. First for four wheel disk brakes and the big block rat motor.
Dave ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-07-18          113600

I think it was the 57 that offered some sort of a fuel injection system, I don't remember that it was offered for very long, so that might be a rare find too. My first guess would have been the 53 also, it seems the first year of most anything seems to be the most collectable. I'm not in the market but I'm sure a mint 53 would call for mega bucks. Frank. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
funchy

2005-07-18          113601

Anyone here remember that old 80's movie "Corvette Summer" featuring a jazzed-up candy-apple red Corvette?

I'd have to say a "famous" individual Corvette modified or used in a movie, TV show, or event would be far rarer than any off-the-assembly-line model.

America got to know & love 80s TransAms thanks to Knight Rider, Ferrari 308s (Magnum PI), Deloreans (Back to the Future), Dodge Charger(?) (Dukes of Hazzard)... but I can't think of any other shows or movies that featured the Corvette?? ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-07-18          113609

Dating myself here, but wasn't a corvette used on the old Route 66 show? ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-18          113613

Ken, yes you are and as I recall the one I liked had the dove tail rounded rear. I think all of the vettes in the show were red convertibles.

The show featured George Maharis and .....Martin Milner ....Man that was a long time ago.... I loved the idea of being single, tooling across america in a sports car with a friend.

The closest I have come to it was when a buddy of mine and I took his geen MGB convertible on a road trip after college from NJ through the Blue Ridge Mountains to New Orleans, Pennsacola, and Atlanta.

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Rare Corvette

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-07-18          113624

my favorite is the Mako shark, alot of styling cues were actually brought into production. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
Art White

2005-07-19          113639

They aren't that rare but my favorite is the 62 which used a front from the old and the rear from the newer. I only owned a 67 but it was a fast back and just not a thrill to drive (no wind in the hair) or at least not more then the challangers or cuda's but I never had one of those with out a top and that's what I'm looking for now. Something like a cobra or sebring replicar. Driving my friends nuts as they think I want to put a big block mopar engine in one and they can't believe that I would just drive it. Funny how age changes desires. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-07-19          113645

"Funny how age changes desires. "
Art, I know what you mean. I used to be the type to modify almost anything. Yesterday the subject came up of a young guy who was greatly modifying his motorcyle. My thoughts were "dumb kid."
Dave ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-07-19          113649

I've always wanted a convertible. Last summer two of my retired friends have bought them. My wife and I went for rides and got all wind blown and sunburnt. Now I don't think I want one anymore.

I never had a sunroof either. I'm now driving my daughters old Grand Am as a beater with a moonroof to and from work. Don't even use it either.

I agree as you get older, some things are definitely not as important as they used to be. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-20          113680

I presume you guys are NOT talking about a convertible with 4wd, a 3pth, and a FEL ?????

ROFLMAO.

Best of luck. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
Art White

2005-07-20          113683

Dave, I haven't worn a cap much since the service not that I wanted to wear one then but a good point. I just don't drive with the need for a full roll cage anymore (I stay under 100 even on the interstates most of the time). Murf, we are working towards a soft top Mercedes with the three point, loader, front and rear pto and the 24 speed gear box! ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-07-20          113695

"Mercedes with the three point, loader, front and rear pto and the 24 speed gear box!"

There are 4x4's and then there is the UNIMOG. Enough said. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
jprodko

2005-07-21          113737

I guess it would also depend on what a person is looking for in a Vette. Yes it's true that only a few were made in 53, but the real high dollar ones a like the 67 435 horse 427 models with rare paint combos. These often go way over $100,000.
I am personally saving for a 65/67 model convertible, with side exhaust. I am not looking for a trailer queen but just a good driver. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-07-24          113831

I ran into a good website for Corvettes. It's been fun to look at all the great offerings and to check pricing. Go to: proteamcorvette.com ....

Link:   

Click Here

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
jprodko

2005-07-24          113843

A site I belong to is digitalcorvettes.com ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-07-26          113910

Basically I would agree with the '53 being one of the most rare, however, when they moved the assembly plant to Bowling Green they made only a few < 5 that year. I believe it was '82 but could have been '83.

Corvette Fever magazine lists auction prices of corvettes. The really high dollar vettes > $100K are all original with matching numbers and very low miles. Added to that would be those vettes having limited production options.

I have a '93 40th anniversery coupe (check my pictures). I would love to be able to purchase the soon to be released C6, ZO6. This vette comes with 500hp and a higher red line than the standard C6. I believe 0-60mph is less than 4 seconds. Dave ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-08-07          114484

Corvette Summer 1978. The vette had a chain drive, right hand drive steering. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-08-07          114485

GM made only 47 production vettes in 1983. They had many problems so GM did not put them on the market. ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos

2005-08-08          114549

shortmagnum

I am with you the 1965 vette is my favorite and I
have been saying for nearly 20 years that I was going
to get one. I want one I can drive, but original.
These days that's at least 50k. Dont know if I will
ever get one, but if I do, that will be the year.

doc ....

Rare Corvette

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-08-10          114657

Dieselpusher, you may be right on the number, I didn't think it was that many, but don't know for sure. There is an '83 at the museum in Bowling Green. I assume '83 was the first year of production at BG.

Have you seen the new Cadillac being produced at BG? It's a two door coupe built on the corvette chassis. I saw one at the GM dealer a couple of months ago. It's a nice car. Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login