Go Bottom Go Bottom

Out of control neighbor problem

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-11          113275

Is there anything a person can do when their next-door neighbor is out-of-control and not quite in touch with reality? Is my only choice to give up my home, take a financial loss, and go elsewhere?

I finally had it when I had to “celebrate” 4th of July weekend watching him shoot large, airborne (illegal) fireworks over my horses' paddock for amusement. Horses are prey animals and loud noises will cause them to bolt. The horses would just settle down again and another explosion would go off right over their head, BOOM! They'd run in a blind panic again. They ended up sweaty, stressed, and unable to eat for hours.

I went over to talk, one mature adult to another, since he didn’t seem to understand what he was doing. A 1100 and 1700 lb pound animal can get into a lot of trouble if forced to stampede repeatedly, and it was only a matter of time before one got impaled on something, busted through a fence, or somehow hurt themselves or caused damage. He seemed to understand. I walked back and got as far as my front door before the next explosion went off. Now the fireworks were being aimed right over my home’s roof! I went back over to plead with him to stop. His just-as-nasty wife interrupts me to tell me to go the hell home.

I finally called the police… twice. They never showed up.

I’d complain to the HOA in the context this is a Deed Restriction violation, but he is president of the HOA. And even know I am VP, we’d never get a fair hearing in a neighborhood with only 6 lots. (I will NEVER buy a house with Deed Restrictions again! They simply don't work)

This is just one act of aggression of many. The guy bought the first lot when the subdivision was created and he enjoying doing what he pleased for a year or two. I think he resented losing “his” open land where he used to ride his horses, target practice, hunt, whatever.

He’s gone to far as to call the authorities with any lies and stories just to get them to act. For example I had an investigator from the Motor Vehicles out here on a complaint that I had illegally affixed someone else’s dealer tags on my cars?! I did no such thing and have never had a dealer plate on any of my vehicles. It was just embarrassing to have a guy from the State come by and question me and inspect all my cars.

He’s gone to the neighbors with a letter outlining outlandish claims of Deed Restrictions he says I violate. He uses the old-standby argument of “decreasing everyone’s property values” to argue his point. I don't think I am doing anything awful. None of the other neighbors have ever said anything to me about anything I’ve ever done wrong. He’s just rationalizing his anger.

The funny thing is that right now he’s breaking at least 6 Deed Restrictions and a few more if you count the not-so-clearly defined ones. He runs a horse boarding business from his little 2 acre pasture. He has too many horses/acre boarded there anyway. He doesn’t mow his own backyard or horse areas. He leaves their manure out. He brings tractor trailer cabs home. He throws wild, noisy parties sometimes. He plants hedges that exceed Deed Restriction height but still complains at me about my choice of shrubbery. He built a barn that doesn't follow Deed Restriction guidelines. His dogs run at large and are known to bark outside late at night. His “barn cats” run at large and have actually taken a dump in my cars if the windows are left open!

I can ignore the annoying things he does. I believe in "live and let live". I know I may not always love the things a next-door neighbor does. But I draw the line when he *intentionally* terrorizes my horses & dog, shoots explosive devices at my home, lies to anyone he can to get me in trouble, and then refuses to speak to me.

What would you do? Would you move? Ignoring him isn't working by itself.

I hate to say it but I’ve been thinking of amusing pranks to play on him (harmless ones, ones he couldn’t prove I did)… I need to vent my frustration and to stop being so angry. Any ideas ?

I did put in a plant barrier between me and him since privacy fences aren’t allowed. It helped for awhile and helped buffer his noise & view. But 2 weeks ago they came over complaining about that, too! It was growing too well. They didn’t like the plants leaning, growing into, or being so close to "their" property line.

A friend told me to start acting really insane when I am in view of him & his wife. Act normal around the rest of the neighbors. He’ll start to worry I really am irrational and maybe he’d leave me alone.

Help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-11          113282

Have you considered contacting the animal welfare department of your state? What he was doing to your horses may be considered animal cruelty. Also, there may be laws on the amount of animals one can legally own/board for a given plot of land without a permit (feedstock permits, etc). In addition, most states have rules regarding animal waste based on size of land, proximity to water and the number of animals on the property. Check into those items first and see what the laws are.

Too bad you didn't get video evidence of the fireworks incident and the reaction it was having on your animals. The animal cruelty people love that type of evidence and can be very aggressive about going after people doing stuff like that.

Don't lower yourself to revenge. That puts you in the wrong. Document everything. Keep a video camera handy to document everything. Make sure you are in the right. He may be head of the HOA, but he's not above the law when the evidence clearly shows it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-11          113284

I would suggest getting a very detailed video tape of his behavior and acts. Carefully research the laws he may have violated and then pay a visit to your county Circuit Court Clerk and swear out a warrant for his arrest. The fireworks over the horses clearly qualifies for wreckless endagerment just for openers. I read a trash neighbor who was riding his horses and 4 wheeling on my land the riot act and explained to him that I have 11 months and 29 days to file treaspassing, dumping, destruction of private property (he cut my fences) charges if I even think he has been back on my land. Haven't heard a peep out of him since. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-11          113285

A similar situation occured near here a year or so ago.

A jerk who lived next to a horse farm did much the same thing as your 'friend' did.

The owner of the horse farm video taped some of it and then called the SPCA. It cost the jerk big bucks in fines and he is now on probation.

The horses live rather peacefully now.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisTP
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-11          113286

1) fireworks buffs are hard to reason with.
2) what is the the list of things that he does not like about what you are doing with your property in your subdivision?

Your pictures look like it is a nice development, and I guess you have one of the few lots with big acreage. Is your house set back just like the one across the street in the pix? Are you using your front yard as a lawn only?

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-07-11          113293

I would definitely consider a security camera and 24 hour videotape setup. It can make your neighbor a little more nuts at first but eventually they will avoid doing anything that might be captured on tape. You can purchase a high quality joy stick controlled speed dome camera for $1500 at 123cctv.com, a 24 hour tape recorder for $500 and install yourself.

All has been relatively quiet on the front with my neighbor. Rather than retaliate I have strategically placed umbrellas in my pool yard that totally block their view from me. It gives us both a break. Nothing illegal about umbrellas - also consider Luau grass table skirts ($15 for 9 foot section) to hang from edges of umbrellas for more privacy. Neighbor did called BOH about my compost, they came - there was no problem and they left. I have no problem showing my property to frequently called officials who get extremely annoyed with my neighbor when there never is a problem.

The new solar replacements for low voltage lights are a nice addition to any house. There are good deals on these - buy a ton of them and light your place up at night for security purposes. I think the best solution is to just outclass your neighbor by making everything as nice as possible. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-12          113351

Cats in the car is about the worst thing. Buy some of those really serious rat traps that look like a mouse trap but bigger and put them in your car with cat bait(tuna). they will learn. I cannot stand neighbors pets coming over and going. Homeowners associations are nightmares. I would never even look at a house with one. You cannot plant this here you cannot park that there etc etc etc. Some people love their little power trips and homeowner associations just feed that fire. Videos are the best idea for the rest of the stuff as well as local ordinances. I don't know where Cecil county stands right now but they have always been the red headed shep child of MD. I wonder if ordinances have caught up to the building boom there. I am only a few minutes into PA so I am there constantly. Housing values have soared so moving would be fairly easy as far as selling and getting good money. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-07-12          113365

Thanks for replies & tips!

I should've videotaped the fireworks- good idea. Sometimes you get so mad you can't think straight. I'm going to keep camcorder handy from now on.

I think I'll take a few photos of the back of his home so if he drags me in front of the HOA or lawyers, I can show them his standards. He's the type to keep his front yard immaculate and have dogcrap and weeds for a backyard which only I get to see.

I can't afford a $1500 for a special video camera, and even if I wanted it I'd need several cause the property line on his side is really 450'. Honestly the problem with him isn't so much him tresspassing but rather the trouble he causes from his own front porch or telephone.

I was just outside measuring for a fence.

I'm also looking at real estate ads just to see what's out there.Land in Cecil Co is overvalued and a 10-20 acre parcel w/house may cost $500-$900k+. I REALLY wish I could relocate to somewhere rural like Kentucky or Carolinas. I've seen 150 acre farms there w/barns, pond, and everything for $150-200k.

You all who live in rural areas are so fortunate. What I wouldn't give for a 30 acre farm in a peaceful county town! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-12          113366

funchy,

It just so happens that I have a 25.5 acres lake view farm for sale. About 15 acres is woods and the remainder is pasture or yard. Brick home, 4 bedroom, 3 garage, 2,650 sq. ft. upstairs, approx. 2,200 sq. ft. downstairs, LARGE wood deck (redwood but it is faded and needs to be pressure washed. Satellite TV equipped for C band and Dishnetwork. Well (unlimited water) and septic. Drive way is about 1/4 mile with large concrete driveway in front of garage. Secluded yet very convieiently located. I am asking $220,000, no real estate agent is involved. Property taxes run about $850 for the entire place. The house does need some updating with things such as carpet, painting, kitchen & fixtures, etc. I can email you some pictures.

Think you might be interested?

Right now, the only picture of the house and area is pic #2 of my Dodge Cummins truck, you can see a bit of the place in the background.

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-07-12          113369

Funchy, yes $1500 is a lot of money for a camera. I just want to point out that cameras of this type can be set up to scan (or pan) your entire property line so that only one camera is necessary. They have a number of features so that you can do almost anything with one camera.

I certainly don't have great advice on how to handle neighbors as you know from my previous posts. I argued with my wife about coming back to a residential neighborhood. Rural neighborhoods have been great for me. I have seen one person arrested for selling cocaine, more divorces than I can count, and other assorted whackos in this "upscale" neighborhood. The couple who got divorced across the street hired private investigators to watch each other! I also have deed restrictions but there is no active enforcement agency for any of them. On top of this I am paying $9K in real estate taxes and the school taxes are going up again!

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-07-13          113431

I have been a minority dissenter on your property issue before and will probably be so again. Looks to me like the two of you have called the cops / authorities so many times that they are experiencing feuding neigbour fatigue, that said I think a security camera installation will be huge waste of money. The HOA deed restrictions are totally bogus and I would not get into a mud slinging match over who has incurred the most trecherous deed violation, IMHO that's just whining anyway, but what do I know. If there are only 4 other owners besides yourselves you may want to leave a note telling them that the 2 of you have had some issues regarding property lines etc and that they will likely get all manner of letters from him claiming this and that, put his letters of complaint into context and they will likely ignore future communications from him, people aren't stupid, let them make their own minds up. You need to concentrate on what you can do to to lessen the impact of his antics on your lifestyle / mental well-being. Put a trap in your car and dispose of the cats that enter your property, they wont be a problem hence forth (no need to tell him). 4th of July is tough on a lot of animals, and thats well just tough, you certainly do not want anything to do with the animal rights folks, they have their own agenda and outcomes of their actions are entirely unpredictable. Sorry to hear about the horse experience on independence day next time you may want to drug them up a bit so that it is less stressfull on them, also put the dogs inside. BTW I enjoy horses as well and have raised and taken care of plenty of horses in my lifetime. Quit fretting about this chap its consuming much more of your energy than it needs to, my message here: try to give yourself a break. Dont just ignore him, put him out of your mind. If he is having a party think of it as an excuse to go out to a movie or a dance, have one yourself. If the neighbours are drinking, have a few yourself, life is easier that way. Good luck, AB ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-07-13          113434

"Looks to me like the two of you have called the cops / authorities so many times that they are experiencing feuding neigbour fatigue"

Nah this is actually the first time I called anyone about him. Despite my complaining to you all, I don't like to cause trouble for others.

If he called the cops on me before I wasn't aware of it. He likes to be sneakier calling Motor Vehicles, the HOA, and probably other little government agencies... it's the best he can do since I never break any laws.

"Sorry to hear about the horse experience on independence day next time you may want to drug them up a bit so that it is less stressfull on them, also put the dogs inside"

Dog WAS inside, still terrifed & barking. I couldn't get to sleep for work because of the barking and the noise.

You can't imagine how loud these fireworks were, even inside the house. They must've been overstock from the dynamite factory they were THAT loud. I've been to community fireworks displays before and never heard such noise. I think the nummy was using the largest size he could get and detonating them too low.

Horses are a tough problem to solve. Decent tranqilizers require a vet, especially cause one of them is an older draft. Not easy to get a vet out on a holiday Sunday night. Somehow I don't see him offering to pay the $150 vet visit for this either. And either way he never gives notice when he's going to be a butthead, so I can't plan ahead.

2ndHandLion -- where is this property? just curious

"On top of this I am paying $9K in real estate taxes "

I fainted when I saw this. How do they expect anyone to be able to make ends meet with such a huge tax burden?!

One of my fears of staying here is that when the house is paid off, by then the property taxes will be so high I'll need a 2nd job just to keep my own home. The government is out of control!

My last house, a historic house in a small town in Delaware, had a tax bill of about $500 a year including Town taxes... but that was 8-9 years ago.

Would anyone object if I caught his cats, dyed them purple, and let them loose to go back home? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-13          113435

funchy, it is located in upper middle, TN. I have it listed in the TP classified section. ....

Link:   Brick Rambler overlooking Lake Barkley

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-07-14          113438

Funchy, sorry to hear about your problem neighbors. Unfortunely it can happen anywhere.

I live in central Kentucky and land here would be cheaper than Maryland, depending on location. This spring a 15 acre tract of land sold for either $225K or $250K, I don't remember which. This was for an unimproved slightly rolling tract and no utilities.

In Fayette County, Lexington, this same tract, if you could find it, would require another zero. In eastern Kentucky you could probably remove a zero, but it would be hillside.

There are good buys to be found in the more rural areas, and taxes would definitely be lower. Good luck, Dave ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-07-14          113439

Yes Funchy, it is true. $9,000 in land and school taxes and they are rising again. My tax bill alone is like having a mortgage. If my mother wasn't nearby I would be considering a place like 2ndHandLion's. I am not sure whether this will be affordable once retired. And I know lots of folks who are purchasing homes way out in the country and are working from home via internet.

I understand your frustration with the police. I, like you, have only called them a couple of times over the course of 3 years - usually when property damage occurs and once when he was stalked my daughter and son outside the front of my house (which I captured on tape and showed the cops). They were nervous about my stalking tape but said stalking laws are difficult to enforce.

The cops are not fatigued - they just don't know what to do about these cases. They are actually just social workers who want these problems to go away. I once offered the cops a tape of who passed by my house on a day when there was a robbery in our neighborhood. They said the robbery was "fishy" and they didn't have time to review the tape.

I would not dye the cats and set them loose. This will only make things worse because there obviously will be a retaliatory action. You can make it dangerous for the cat to be on your property - and let the neighbor take actions to keep it off.

View my Photos
tractorbuyer

2005-07-14          113440

Hi funchy. I'm new to this forum but I've been down this road...and won! You'll spend a few bucks in legal fees--chump change---but the path is clear and you'll never have to talk to this boob again.

You mentioned some deed restrictions. Are they true "deed restrictions" that "run with the land in perpetuity" or are they Homeowner Association rules/covenants? It makes a difference. There is procedure for either, but we have to know which way to go.

Contact me directly for my fax number if you're interested. I'll look over your deed restrictions or HOA covenants and give you some free advice. Of course, it's worth what you paid for it! :)

The double-edged sword is that you must be completely tight on your compliance before you cast the first stone.

Look forward to hearing from you. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-14          113446

Funchy, most jurisdictions have laws regarding the harrasment of animals, especially livestock, including horses.

In most places all you have to do is tell the authorities about your neighbours actions scaring the horses and causing them to bolt in fright. They will issue him a warning, a stern warning, if it continues they will prosecute, and this is one area of the law where the penalties can be very substantial.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-07-28          114013

I had a similar problem and I eventually gave up and moved. My problems started when I built my shop/RV garage on my property where the neighbors used to park. It seriously inconvenienced them and they would make up all sorts of charges and present them to the zoning enforcement officer. On one occasion, the zoning officer came by and asked me to take down my amateur radio antenna that had been up for more than a year. We came to an understanding and I modified it to suit the zoning laws, but the problems never ended.

My wife and I finally agreed that it was not worth the hassle to pay legal fees to fight with "neighbors" that you don't want to be around. The best thing that you can expect if you win your continued dispute is that you get to live next to a jerk that you don't like. I spent thousands of dollars on lawyers and other things to protect myself including fences and video surveilance. I even had a private detective investigate the neighbor to make sure that they were unlikely to shoot me in the back when I was outside working. (They really did act that nutty and out of touch with reality.)

And, when the neighbor decided to break out the windows of the shop and the tracks in the snow led directly to their house, the local police would not even talk to them about it. They were apparently friends with someone in the local government. When I had a problem with another neighbor not cleaning up after their horse on a 1 acre lot and allow manure to run off of their property into the street and my front lawn, the authorities would not even come out to take a look. Top that off with several events of garbage and used motor oil thrown over your fence and you just want to make them pay.

It all worked out, however. I moved from a one acre to a ten acre place. I rebuilt my amateur radio antenna and none of my neighbors even cared since none of them are closer than 200 yds. I am now working on building a new shop for my machine tools.

It was tough to move, but I am happier. In the long run, I think that it might be healthier than living with the continual petty conflict.

Every now and then I think to myself that I should drive over to the old neighborhood and water the jerks's plants with Roundup, but that feeling passes quickly. It is just not worth the effort and as others have mentioned, I would be stooping to their level. If there is any such thing as karma, then they will be continually unhappy with pretty much anything that happens around them and that is just fine with me since I am not part of their world. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-07-31          114171

Funchy, I was where you were that day when I first moved to where I live now. The neighbors behind me were lasing my horses and causing them to panic. Luckily these were just kids doing so, or there may have been more trouble that I cant speak of. What I did was calmly go back to my house, get my construction laser and telescope, climb up on the barn and lased them right back at the same time telling them on a loud speaker that if this was connected to a rifle the dot on their forehead would be a hole. They ran screaming and when the father came over to bitch I took him out to the horses and asked him if he would like a very large lawsuit if one of my horses were injured, considering that two of them are registered Thoroughbreds with excellent racing history and one is worth several 10's of thousands in breeding, he quickly apologized and I have not had a problem since. In your case, I probably would have shot the bastard and claimed self defense. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-08-01          114177

taheide,
You sound like my kinda guy. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-01          114179

I grew up on the philosophy, dont get mad, get even, that and I have Irish blood in me. :) I am a very nice person, and easy to get along with, just dont p*** me off or you will see the dark side of my force. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login