Go Bottom Go Bottom

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-15          112425

My wife wants to spend a few hundred dollars to exterminate carpenter bees and other insects around the house. The exterminator prices range from $250-$600(1 year contract) and they spray some sort of dust into the holes bored by the carpenter bees and spray the exterior walls of the house with insecticide. Agway says to just spray "Sevin" on the exterior walls of the house for regular bees.

Are there any suggestions as to how I might simply get rid of these insects (regular bees, carpenter bees, hornets, wasps )? Am I better off investing in 3 pt equipment - if so - what equipment and what spray should I use so that I can do this every year myself?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-15          112426

Sevin is a magic "jack of all bug killer" yet safe enough to use on your garden veggies ( i think it is at least)

I have used Sevin on termites, ants, bee's and any other creepy crawling bug...If you have access to the nests, or ants without getting stung, it should work....but its a slow killer, so run fast :)

Ducati ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-15          112428

If the bees have a way into the cracks and crevices of your house and have built a nest inside there is no way spray from the exterior will work. You need to dust. I sprayed and sprayed diazinon and there was a nest that would not die. Called an exterminator and he blew in dust with a duster and that killed them off right away. There's a website called bugspray dot com that sells all sorts of this pro type stuff and has advice on how to get rid of all sorts of critters. Not a great website but good products. ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
bvance

2005-06-15          112430

I bought a tank sprayer that is powered by an electric motor that feeds off of your tractor battery. I just put the sprayer in me FEL. I found the 3pt sprayers just too expensive for how many times a year I would use it.

I have attached the site that I bought my sprayer from. They were good to deal with.

I was a bit concerned that a electric pump would be powerful enough, but it is. I got the 30 gallon model.

Good Luck! ....

Link:   

Click Here

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-16          112476

Thanks for the replies. Ducati - point noted about sevin, my father-in-law used to swear by it also. Ken - I went to bugspray.com - interesting stuff, also looked at spot sprayers on bvance link. These are definitely possibilities for the long run. You have me thinking. For this year I may pay the low bidder to dust and spray ($250). ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
cutter

2005-06-22          112656

A number of years ago I noticed a downy woodpecker eating the diazinon I had just put down. Sure enough, the bird was dead shortly. At that point, I ceased using the granular poison's. I purchased a three-point sprayer with both a hand nozzle and a 12' boom from Central Tractor and have never regretted it.

The carpenter bees are a real problem. I have them boring into my fascia board and each year I exterminate them. The eggs hatch and you have a new crop. I have heard the dust will get to the eggs. ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
beagle

2005-06-23          112661

I ended up building a trailer mounted sprayer that runs off a PTO mount roller pump. 65 gallon capacity at 180psi, all for about $325 including the pump (already had the trailer ). It's skid mounted, so I take it off the trailer when not spraying. (see pics.) 700 lbs was more than I wanted to hang off the 3-point, that far out. ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-23          112664

The guy came yesterday afternoon and sprayed, dusted for $250 + tax. I tried to give him a $20 tip, he refused it saying he was a church going man and wouldn't take extra money. I insisted but still to no avail. Instead he told me he gave my son $10 for helping him out with a ladder! Guess I will look him up again next year. ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
cutter

2005-06-23          112686

Beagle,

Nice job in the sprayer!

That is similar to mine except I have the integrated unit. If memory serves, I paid 350 for it on sale. No more Central Tractor around here to get those bargains. ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
funchy

2005-06-23          112696

That's alot of money in my opinion... and are you sure you want to coat your home in lots of poison on a regular basis?

Carpenter bees bore holes in wood and are drawn to softer wood. If you're seeing tons of them, you may have a moisture problem somewhere that's damaging the wood. Same goes for carpenter ants; if you see a zillion of them it might be a sign there's wood rotting somewhere in a wall or floor.

As far as wasps go, just knock down the nests as you see them. Or get a can of hornet spray and stand back 20' to hit the nest at sunset. Try to discourage them from coming in the first place by closing up soffits, making attics bugproof,etc ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
MikeJD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-24          112697

I waited till late summer and purchased a 25 gallon sprayer on clearance. The sprayer runs on 12 volt.
I welded a 3 point hich and wired a standard quick connect trailer light connection bought at wal mart. That is how I run the pump when needed to turn it on. If you would like I could post a picture showing the set up.

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-24          112702

Funchy, my house is sided with vertical cedar shiplap (very soft wood) over 1/2 inch plywood. I think the soft cedar is what these bees like. I have actually seen squirrel tracks on one side of my house. I have no signs of moisture or rot.

Sure MikeJD, a picture would be great. How far can you reach with with this sprayer. Could you hit the eaves at 2 stories? At 3 stories? The guy who sprayed the house for me couldn't hit the eaves at 3 stories (side of house where I am 2 stories up and basement exposed). ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
bvance

2005-06-29          112923

NCrunch,

I have a 25 gallon electric sprayer which I listed a website in a earlier post on this same thread. The mfg. says it will spray 22' vertically and 33' horizontally. I would say that is just about what mine does. Depending on the actual height of your 2 to 3 stories it might reach, especially if you're standing and can reach a bit might get you to 30' or so...or stand on a ladder for that last little bit of height you may need. I've been impressed with my unit.

Brian ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-30          112932

Brian, I assume you bought one of the spot sprayers - which model? Would I need 25 gallons to go all the way around a large house or would a 15 gallon model suffice? I assume you got either the LG-29P,LG-25-P, or LG-25-SS since they have the 22/33 reach. What is the difference between the 25-P and the 25-SS models - their description is identical.

Joe ....

Sprayer for 3 Pt Hitch

View my Photos
bvance

2005-06-30          112970

Joe,

I have the LG 25 SS, 25 gallon model. I'm not positive what the differences are, but as I remember I got the SS model because you can use Roundup in it. You really need a special nickel plated pump for Roundup use or it will eventually eat up a regular pump. Again, I'm not sure of the different designations, but I do know I got one that I could use Roundup in it.

I'm sure a 15 gallon sprayer would be sufficient for spraying a house for the reasons you need. I would guess a 15 gallon sprayer would spray about 2500 square feet of ground area judging how much area I can get out of my 25 gal. sprayer, which I would think would be more than enough to spray the eaves, etc. of a house.

Hope that helps,

Brian ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login