Go Bottom Go Bottom

Spring is here

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-22          108508

Just saw my first red winged blackbirds of the season.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Spring is here

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-22          108518

The Canadian Geese have been doing fly-overs and "drop-bys" for about a week now. There is hope that this weather will break soon. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-22          108524

Haven't saw a red wing yet, but regular blackbirds, robins and the wife said some of her flowers are starting to peek thru on south side of house. Sharpen up the mower it will be here soon. I'm ready, Frank. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
Chief

2005-03-22          108526

Sure seems like Spring is trying to get sprung! My plum tree sprouted blossoms last night. My damsom tree and salix trees are already sprouting buds. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-22          108528

The redwings have been in central Iowa for over a week now. I noticed some volunteer onions poking out of the ground when I tilled the garden on Sunday. Trees are showing signs of budding out. Getting real close!!

I'm able to start spending time outside. I need it as the wife is in the 8th month of pregnancy and is starting to make me a bit crazy with all of her noises and such. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-22          108538

The Canadian Geese have been doing fly-overs and "drop-bys" for about a week now. There is hope that this weather will break soon.

Reply =============== they stay here year round.

skinderflirt ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
bmlekki

2005-03-22          108544

Still a bit off for me.
1.5 feet on the gound still... ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-23          108610

Snow still here also, but I have spotted some Terradactals, some flying and a few in the corn fields, digging through the snow for something to eat. ''sand hill cranes'' My little sister say these once and came running in the house scared to death, she thought they were prehistoric birds..lol, thus Terradactals.. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-23          108615

A few years back, my wife and I were at the hunting property and she took the dog for a walk. She saw some Sand Hill Cranes fly over and land. She thought what the heck are those! Their screech is somewhat prehistoric in sound. Scared her enough to head for the cabin. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
kubotachick

2005-03-23          108637

it doesn't even look close to spring here yet...and i've been itching to get those stupid houseplants outside to get hosed off (they're dusty critters). The surefire way to know its spring is when i go back to real work....and that hasn't happened yet so....no spring in northern illinois. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-23          108651

Since I live 1 1/2 miles west of Lake Michigan, Spring wont come to my house till about a week before summer hits.
NorthEast or east winds create a temperature of 2-5 degrees above the Lakes Temp. Yes I HATE this town! 312 miles North West of here is my other house. By the end of this month it will consistantly be warmer there for a high temp than by me for the next 5 months. What worse? Geese evryday of the year fly over my house, I have had Robbins in my yard since the end of Jan!!! Crazy critters!. And to top it off, every time I go to the garage to get a soda I see my trailer and new tiller on it. (yes, the wife,son and myself are parked outside while my tiller and trailer and 2n/8n tractor sit in a nice cozy envirenment! Arg Arg! You know who where's the pants in my family?
Momma always said, "Stupid is--- well you know the rest
Forrest Gump! ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
WVTC33

2005-03-24          108656

I heard the first spring peepers of the year on March 15 in the pond by our house. Also heard a gobbler cut loose on our hunting property Monday morning, that got me in the mood for spring! ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-03-24          108660

Begining to warm up nicely here too. Just a reality check you guys out there: Stuck on a college campus in the spring time, the short-shorts are begining to bloom already!

Life is good. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-24          108661

I heard the first spring peepers of the year on March 15 in the pond by our house. WVTC33
===============
Haven't heard them around here yet as we have had a much colder March this year than usual.
Usually I first hear them between the last of Feb to the first week or so of March.

Spring is here

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-03-24          108666

While we're om the subject of birds and other critters, why is it so common to see a bald eagle now in the last five or six years. I had never saw one before except on the Mississippi River till recently, now we see them daily. There's one who sits in the top of a dead tree across the road from our house every day. I'm wondering if it's because of all the road kill deer that are in the ditches, I counted four in a four mile strech of road yesterday. Frank. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-24          108667

Hardwood, eagles are making a good comeback from their die-off in the 70's. I can't remember the exact chemical name that was wreacking havoc with them, but it was in the ddt pesticides that were used. Seems it made their egg shells very weak so the egs owuld break before the babies could hatch. With the chemicals banned, they are starting to make a comeback as the chemical exists their food chain.

The population is up so you should be seeing more of them. I enjoy wathcing them. 2 weeks ago, I had 3 (2 mature and 1 immature) soaring in the wind over my house. They were high up probably 500-1000 feet. Could just tell they were bald eagles. The spyglasses worked great on 'em.

We get them spending time in Central Iowa on their way back up north. When I lived in Knoxville, IA, I had to drive past Lake Red Rock every day. In early spring, they were hanging out by the road and I could often count 5 or more eagles there. Awesome sight! ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-24          108674

This morning I saw something I have never seen before. I was on the phone with my wife and just happened to be standing by the patio door watching my dog play in the snow. I saw some large birds flying toward my house, I counted seven of them, they were definately Bald Eagles, I could see the white heads very well, I went in to get the camera as I have seen 4 and 3 at a time but never 7. I just wasn't able to get a shot through the woods as they were moving away pretty fast. Is it unusual for this many to be together???? ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-24          108682

We didn't used to have bald eagles here; but my brother has seen one perched in a tree along the Muskingum River.

He spotted it a couple of times in the same area in the last year.

Spring is here

View my Photos
Chief

2005-03-24          108693

I believe that chemical was a pesticide called "DDT". Did a lot of damage. Now if I could get my hands on a batch of Chlorodane. ;O) ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-03-24          108700

My yard is definately greening up here in southern Indiana. Infact, I was rolling my hard tonight and decided to go ahead and put the mower deck down and mow it even. Some places I barely took anything off, other places I took off a good 2-3 inches. What a welcome smell...cut grass. It was cold today but we have been having a few days here and there in the upper 50's to mid 60's. Nice to get some seat time again. ....

Spring is here

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-25          108709

Snowing currently here in central Iowa. Nothing serious, sticks to the grass and that's about it. Makes the black dogs look white. Won't stick around long. Pretty though with the flakes coming down.

Inlaws are supposedly headed this way today... stuck inside, maybe I should clean the toilet for them? Nah, I'll go out in the shop and grease something. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login