Go Bottom Go Bottom

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-14          104216

Just got done reading the whole thread of "SEAT TIME". At the end it talked about snow removal. LOL. I have 2 houses, one in the town where I work that I have cleared the snow from by hand about 8 times this year already. It only has a 120' black top drive that has a 55' wide parking area at the end so at the worst it was "good exercise" I think about my tractor every time I shovel this drive! I am envious of those who have theirs at the ready. I may be moving soon to the house that has the tractor at its location. This place has a 650' + drive with a very nice parking area. (all gravel). I think of how nice the "seat time would be" NOT!!! It is -17 degree's right now where my tractor is. I have just decided (100%) that when I move I will be buying a skid steer with a heated/air cond.) cab for days like today and for days when the deer flies and hornets are too much for "seat time" to be fun. Oh I am sure that snow removal with a wind of 25 mph and a wind chill of -55 degrees + would be fun a "time or two" but I do feel after the novelty of this wears off that a heated cab may be the ticket! Call me a wimp do you? LOL. I used the excuse that snow removel is part of the reason for buyin the tractor in the first place. Now that I have it, a skid steer is in my sights. Think it will pass the
"smell test" that I am sure the CEO of finance will give it when I bring up the topic this summer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-14          104217

I've never cared for skid steers. Why don't you just get a cab for what you have? Under your membership info, you say the colder the better. Are you hedging on that now? ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-14          104219

Isn't the north fun? Winters at 20-30 below get rid of many of the nasty bugs, creepy crawly things and vermin that those in the south have to put up with.

I say bring it on! (Oops, the Pres says to not say that anymore) ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-01-14          104220

I hate bugs too, but 0 and -3 is cold enough for me and that still keeps them away. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-01-14          104221

I wish we were having a winter like that here in Northeast Pa.. Cold air is finally getting here tonight. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-14          104223

Here in central Kentucky we normally don't get very cold or have more than a few inches of snow. However, Wednesday night December 22nd we received about one inch of ice.

Checkout my pictures 9,10,& 11. The last ice storm we had was February 2003.

I am an electric utility engineer and can usually stay home during outages. I was listening to the crews on my portable radio about 10:30pm, and told my wife I needed to go to the office. I didn't get home until 5:30pm on Thursday. We had to work until 6:00pm Christmas Eve to restore all of the power.

Just 50 miles west in Louisville they recived 6 - 10 inches of snow. The joys of winter. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-14          104226

ky, those ice storms leave a beautiful landscape. Too bad they can cause so much damage.
Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-14          104230

Ky - is that a solid removable top on your Vette? Do you drive her easy or do you open her up once in a while? ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-14          104236

KYVette, those are some nice shots of the ice. Reminds me I should do some scanning of the snow drifts I had last year.

Wind was so bad I would wear the helmet setup I used for snowmobiling in Northen Minnesota. Helmet and googles. Keeps the wind off your head and helps you avoid frostbite. May look a bit goofy, but I was warm! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grinder

2005-01-15          104255

-17 is just about right, it keeps the riff-raff out. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-15          104257

Yooperpete
LOL YEP! You got me on that one. -17 I can live with for a few days, its the wind chill that goes along that makes it uncomfortable. No one who does anything outside likes it that cold. I should of made my self clearer. The colder the better(down to -16 degrees)
Yooper pete
The cabs for the tractors this size for a TC40 IMO are "butt ugly" for 1. 2. IMO a skidsteer has some quality's that you can not get in any tractor. SS are made to run hard, wide open back and forth operation
(I am not preachin or techin just making a general vision for the point I am making). One of the reasons I bought the NEW tractors is wanting it to be in the kind of shape I want when I need to plant and prepair the fields. In my opinion that is really what they are made for, field work.
(or there abouts). Moving gravel, digging out stumps, log landing work, excavation type jobs, etc. I think are better suited for a skidsteer. The pivot is placed correctly on the new holands SS and the dump controls are much better along with the total ability to get real close to specific areas with extreme precision. I think you know what I mean. The heated cab/air is just a perk with the skidsteers. The loaders on the cuts are a great tool for it but the operation of a skidsteer is superior for some jobs. So, that being said, in a perfect world a "boy" would have his skidsteer and tractor to play with and use each tool for the job it was meant to do. Remember when we used to take our "tonka's" out in the dirt? You always had some kind of earth moving equipment along with the grader and the crane. That is the set up I am after. A tractor for the general farming activities along with a blower for snow. A skid steer for all light excavation and woods work. SShhhhh and a "used" 6-way bladed dozer (after the skidsteer gets paid for). Us married guys need to walk out on the water like it has only 2" of ice cover. You want to test the condition and safetey of proceeding too far before one moves on to the next spot he wants to be at? LOL. Untill the skidsteer and dozer are purchased the tractor will have to do all the other jobs as best it can. As soon as the
"preverbial ice" thickens enough I plan on walking over to the CEO of finance in my house and put in a rec. for the new equipment needed. I have alot of leverage right now. If we build this new house, she wants a few things in it for her that I could care less about IE: LARGE windows archways and granit etc. She could care less about a skidsteer. Like the other thread suggested a comprimise is the best solution. She gets what she wants and me too.

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-01-15          104282

Hi Brokenarrow.."She gets what she wants and me too", you mean she gets what she wants and you get what you want or she gets what she wants and gets you too, maybe after aproaching her for the Skidsteer she might get you in a way you don't want her to,... naaa, you are right , givem granite and the skidsteer is a shoein.. by the way , -16 is tooooo damn cold....John ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-16          104299

WOW I just put my socks on my arms and my gloves on my feet after trying to follow that! LOL After careful disection though, yes!!!
Only one bit of info I can pass that took me 19 years of weeded bliss to figure out. The longer you go with out, the less you miss it. The powerful messmorizing effects that (what you were talking about) used to have on us young bucks, just dont seem to have the same pull as it used to. Maybe that is why after a buck gets past his 2 1/2 year old birthday he gets harder AND HARDER TO HARVEST.
I do think it is a old trick they use, give in just enough to keep em under control.
Well its only 0 drgrees where I am about to go out and do some public relations work along a road side. I just clicked on the temps for where I am moving too!
-26 degees right now. Yes that is without the wind chill! You dont want to be out in the woods after drinking alot of coffee on a day like today, they tell me frost bite will make your extremeties tyrn black and shrivel up right before falling off? ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-01-17          104373

Brokenarrow:
Couple years ago, I was out at -14 below watching the sled dog races at 10pm up in the Munising and Marquette area. That annual time is coming up again in a couple of weeks. A week later is the famous outhouse races of Ternary. You can still drink beer in those temperatures too. So, there is lots to do in those temperatures.

I use my windbreaker cab on my Cadet. I dress warm and usually am out for 2-3 hours at a time clearing my driveways that are about a mile apart and neighbors in-between. I've only used it down to about 0 degrees with a 20-30mph wind and it is ok. The back end is open and no top. The main thing is to crouch and high behind the windshield. Some heat comes back from the side panels. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-17          104378

My oldest son is at Michigan Tech in Houghton/Hancock. He said the high there this weekend was -5. I think even he may have stayed in and done some homework. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-17          104381

Grassgod,
The top is one piece and is removable, there are four bolts holding the top. It can be removed by one person, but is awkward.

If you notice in picture 3 the background is turn 3 at the Kentucky speedway, which is a 1.5 mile tri-oval. Picture 4 is taken just outside the pits near the backstretch.

My youngest daughter and I had just finished four laps. I hit about 95mph on the backstretch on the last lap. It's an entirely difference driving experience being on a banked and closed track, as to the open road. Also, I don't think my insurance company would be eagar to pay for a wreck occuring on the speedway.

A couple of years ago the wife and I where traveling south on I95 in South Carolina on our way to Hilton Head. I got in with a group (4 or 5) cars wanting to run, we ran the 70 or 80 miles between I26/I95 jct to the Hilton Head turn off between 90 and 100mph.

This car will run pretty good, top speed is listed at 160mph, I'll probably never try it. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-17          104382

Lowafun,
I carry a digital camera in my company vehicle. It is mainly used to document situations involving facility damage or injury. However, I have gotten some ready good pictures over the years. It's a shame we are restricted on size. The last picture shows a lot of detail, but not available at the 30kb limitation. The sun popped out late in the afternoon and made for a picture postcard setting. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-17          104385

Dave -
Very cool that you run the car the way it was designed!! I'm impressed. I has 2000 Vette C 5 convertable. That car was nice & alot more cumfy then the Ferrari! The one thing I do miss about it was the heads up display. I may go back to a vette eventually. The ferrari has a very strong pull though! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-18          104406

Grassgod,
I fell in love with the 50th, but with a kid in college, it had to wait. However, now I'd like to have a C6. Bowling Green is only 2 hours from me, I have to schedule a trip to take a look at the C6. I have only seen one on the road and that was last October, heading south on I15 in Salt Lake City.

I had a new Nissan 350 try to show me how hot his car was a week or two before Christmas. He tried to leave me at a traffic light and couldn't do it. However, those are nice cars. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-18          104413

If & when I return to the Vette, It will also be the C6. There are lots of them around here. I traded for the Ferrari merely to be different & faster. However, I dont get the opportunity to run with someone off a light anymore, I guess they assume they will loose? The Ferrari is to instagating. I miss showing guys up like the experience you just had with the Nissan. Challenge is what makes life fun sometimes. I will say some of these Jap cars are getting quick though. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-18          104438

I took a look at your pictures, your Ferrari is a nice car. If you pulled up beside me, I wouldn't run you. I tend to pick my challenges. Now when it comes to motorcycles it's a different story.

I like to pull in behind a motorcycle at a stop light. I did this last summer and when the cyclist realized I was staying with him, he opened it up and left me quickly. However, he was exceeding 100MPH in a 55.

Another car I like to tangle with is the mustang GT. Most mustang owners believe they have more ponies than they do. However, I don't know about the '05 GT's, as they have 300hp. A co-worker brought one before Christmas, its a really nice car, may have to work up a challenge.

The only thing I can say about vettes and -17 degrees, is my stays inside. It was 7 degrees here this morning. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-18          104439

If you pulled up beside me, I wouldn't run you.

That is the problem I have with most people unfortunatly. I do get to run with the sport bikes as they seem to be the only one up for the challenge but thats only in the summer. It was 9 degrees here this morning & I dont take much out of the garage on days like this either. My Spider with pull 0 - 60 in 4.2 but I've tried & can only get it to do about 4.8 - 4.9 acourding to the stop watch I use. She will run at a top speed of 195mph from what the specs say but I've only had the guts to push to 165mph & at that piont all they kept running threw mt head is if I get cought they are going to tow me & this car will not be towed which means I'd have to run em & i'm to old for that stuff anymore. The one nice thing about the car is when I 'm on the highway, the cars infront of me in the passing lane immediatly pull over even if I'm driving casually so it's kinda like driving an ambulance. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104441

Careful who you pick a race with. (this link is a video, so highspeed only. I hope it is still a good link) ....

Link:   Diesel??

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-18          104442

That link brang me to a web search page. I tried it 3 times. Try again or post the actual address...You have me curious. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104443

Stand by.

It is a link to a Dodge diesel truck racing a Cobra Mustang and beating him with an ET of 11.04. I'll find a working link, just a minute. (I'm on my dial up at home right now.)

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104444

Okay. Link is fixed. You're gonna poop when you see a DUALLY go this fast! ....

Link:   Dually Dodge vs SC Mustang

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104446

Here's one for the Chevy fans. This is a 68 Big-Block Camero. ....

Link:   68 Camero

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-18          104447

AV, the mustang link worked but not the camaro link.
Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-18          104448

Anyway, 11.04 sec is seriously fast for even a modified muscle car. That's getting down close to the sport bike range of 10 seconds or so.
Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104450

Try again. It works okay for me (s-l-o-w dialup, yuck). ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
dsg

2005-01-18          104451

AV8R, can you re-post it? I have broadband and the camero isn't working for me either.

David ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104454

http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/images/cool/video/ram-camaro.mpg ....

Link:   A fresh try

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
dsg

2005-01-18          104455

Maybe it's my system,still not working Link or site.

David ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-18          104458

That was one fast chunk of steel. It would take alot of hp to move that Dodge to 128 mph in 11 seconds. You could see the torque pulling it out of the hole. I had a car that ran 10.60 127 mph and believe me that is flying,I can't imagine it in a Duelly. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-18          104460

Av8R - Cool link! thanks for sharing. As Kyvette said before, those mustangs aren't all that everyone cracks them up to be. I understand this one is modified but obviously not enough if a truck beat em. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-18          104461

http://www.fast-autos.net/ferrari/f5014.html

This is a sick car & I belive it will take that Dodge truck. Check it out. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-18          104463

grassgod, the Dodge ran 1320 ft or 1/4 mile in 11 seconds, an Enzo can run 400 meters or 1312.33 feet in 11 seconds so I would say the Dodge could beat it but I think it would be a photo finish. That Dodge stock would probably run 20 seconds in 1320 feet. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-18          104466

That's true. I guess when it's that close, the driver could make the difference?
In 1987 I had a 79' Pontiac trans am with a 403 cid engine. So one day I am cruising down the highway doing like 70 mph. I had this girl with me that I had just started dating. Took me months to get the guts to ask her out. So her & I are driving down the highway & this Buick Grand national came up behind me fairly quickly & agressively. He was on my tail & riding me for like 5 minutes, so close I almost couldnt see his headlight! I pulled into the right lane & he pulled into the right lane still right on my tail. Now I start getting annoyed as he was instagating me. So I pulled into the passing lane & dropped the pedal to the floor. The only thing that my car had was an aftermarket flow master exaust with headers. So this Grand Nat'l stayed right on my tail almost as if I never sped off! I couldn't get this car off my tail....100 mph...120 mph.....I finnaly hit 132 mph & he turned on his red & blue police lights! They towed & impounded my TA. I asked a customer of mine which was a lawyer to defend me. The charges were dropped for careless behavior of an officer...So you truely never know who your racing. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-18          104469

great story grassgod, one you'll never forget I'm sure. Must have been a total shock!!! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-18          104479

Grassgod: You could probably build and finance that Dodge for the season, for what a set of wheels and tires on the Ferrari cost, though! LOL :P

85-87 the years of wonder at the Buick dealer! Love those GN's.

Luc: A stock Dodge Cummins of that era, you could measure the 1/4 mile with a desk calender! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-19          104484

I had the opportunity to drag the vette at Beach Bend in Bowling Green, but didn't, as I didn't want to get embarrassed. However, that same year a young lady won the stock class with the same vette as mine.

My vette is a '93, which is the 40th anniversary. It came stock with 300hp, and the car weighs about 3200-3300 pounds, 0-60 is about 5.9 to 6.0 sec. I believe, at that time it could take any stock American made car. Chevy also made a 405hp version, which cost considerably more, ZR-1.

In '97 the year of the C5, horsepower jumped over 300, and has gradually increased to today's C6 ('05) which has 400hp.

Grassgod, I was in Louisville a couple of years back returning home from the airport, running about 75mph in a 55. A white camero was riding in the lane next to me and just slightly behind. He pulled closer and I noticed Jefferson County Police markings on the front fender, no other indication that this was a police car. I gradually backed off, he passed me and kept on going. You never know who is lurking in the background. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-19          104486

"So her & I are driving down the highway & this Buick Grand national came up behind me..."

grassgod, this reminded me of a similar story except I was the instigator. I was in my '70 roadrunner with a girl on the first date and I pulled up alongside a GTO who was just minding his own business on the freeway. I revved the engine and dropped it down into third making my new header mufflers rap (can you believe they were called Purple Hornies?), then took off. He of course couldn't be shown up so he took off too. A cop pulled him over and let me go. I've often felt guilty about that one.
Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-01-19          104492

I don't know how all this relates to -17 degrees F. but,if anybody is interested in getting a car or knows someone interested in one, a business friend of mine has a few cars for sale.
1.He has a 93 ZR-1 40th anniversary with about 10,000 miles. They only came in the one color like KYVETTE's. It never has seen even rain. This car is fast.
2.He also has a yellow 2002 Viper with black interior. This car is so fast it is scary and blows the doors off the Vette.
3.He also has a '33 Ford fiberglass roadster with 454. It is bright red with tan leather. It is great for cruis'n and going to get an ice cream. It can lay rubber indefinitely!

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-19          104495

Can you give the asking prices of the vette & viper? I would consider either one. I have 3 guys interested in the Ferrari. I may sell due to maintenance being to expensive on this car. A typical tune up is $2500.00 at the dealer. parts are about 4 times that of american cars. Tires - we wont even go there. The car is exotic...the engine sounds like a sport bike & is right behind you when driving. When you hammer it above 4 or 5 grand & can't hear the stereo even if it's cranking. All you hear is a screaming engine...ever hear a Ferrari at 5000 rpms? It also rides very rough & you feel every bump & pebble in the road for that matter. I love the Vette's but they are a little to common around here. I dont see many Vipers just a few every now & again so The Viper might be something for me to look at soon enough so please get prices if you can. Thanks. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-01-19          104497

I let my premium membership expire and am getting with Dennis to get it alive again, so I can't read your entire message. I've got some of his photos, they are a little dark, so you can't see too much. I've asked for your email address so I can attach some photos and pricing. I found out the vette has 13,500 miles on it. I think it is 405HP with a 3.4:1 gear. The Viper is 450HP with 3.08:1 gear. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-21          104588

Grassgod, I did a little research on Ferrari spiders, I believe that is the model you said you had. I found a good deal on a used 2004 with 8K miles at $224,000. You could by four corvettes for that price.

You mentioned the expense of maintenance, what type of tires do you use? I don't remember the exact size on the vette. The rear is a different size than the front and they are directional. The stock tire is a low profile Z rated Goodyear Eagle. These are in the range of $250 to $275 per tire. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-21          104592

Dave -
Mine is a 95' 355 spider. 410 approx hp. I paid $85k & that was upposed to be good deal. Call any Ferrari dealer, Ask then how often & much money Tune ups & maintenance is required & cost. I think you will be shocked when you hear the answers. Make sure your sitting down...lol. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-21          104637

Grassgod, I didn't mean to indicate I didn't believe your maintenance costs. I have no reason to believe otherwise. I do know that the more expensive the car, the higher the cost for parts and service. You are out of my price range, even at $85K.

You need to take your car to South Beach and cruise the strip. You wouldn't have any trouble finding South Beach models to ride with you. May be hard to explain to the wife.

Well, the weekend is here and it's suppose to snow and get cold. Monday's low is forecast below zero. I guess we need a few cold nights to kill the insects. Dave ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-22          104664

Dave - Dont misunderstand me, I wasnt feeling as though you hadn't believed me, Just informing you thats all : )

Cruising that strip sounds soooo good. I appreciate that advise! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-01-22          104665

South Beach in Miami might not be a bad place to be this weekend, especially if you have the right machine. But, you better get there quick. Right now its -11°F and we are expecting a snow storm this afternoon into Sunday. We should get about a foot or so of the white gold, its gonna stay cold, and get very windy. All the makings of a good ol Nor'easter. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-22          104667

They are calling for 20" here tonight with 50 mph winds!! Sure wish I had a cab now :(. It is currently -1 degree right now. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-22          104669

I've been looking at cabs real hard, Laurin http://www.laurin-inc.com/en2/cab/mpcab.htm seems to be the only one to make a hard cab for a 110, they make nice cabs. The 110 cab is 7500.00 to much for me. I found Jodale Perry, http://jodaleperry.com/ they are factory looking cabs for less then Lorin but I don't see a 110 cab. Curtiss doesn't make one either, and the Fremar soft cab looks like it would get fogged or snowed up and stay that way. I don't have alot of choices. I know its darn cold plowing. My tractor never fails to start on a single turn, the other day it turned over twice and thats all it could do. I knew I was in trouble then. No place to plug in to power. It's even colder this week end. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-22          104670

grassgod, we got our foot of snow the other day, it's up to my knee cap so well over a foot on this mountian. Looks like we might miss the one coming at you right now. Last I heard it's going out to sea in southern Maine. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
rabbittrun

2005-01-22          104671

Here in Saucier, Ms, it is 60 outside, light overcast and I
have been out hitting balls on my homemade redneck driving range. Having a shank problem.

On the bad side, when we get Hurricanes, it is awful(like
Camille in '69) but other than the heat, it is an ok climate.

I and my bride could not survive yall's weather!
More power to you! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-22          104672

Lucerne - I have been looking at the curtis cabs. Found one for sale used but its on a L3010 right now. It looks like it might fit but I tried to call curtis to ask them & they dont seem to want to tell me. I am especially hesistant because mine is a new model & they call it the " Grand" L & the L3010 isnt called "grand". I do know that curtis makes one for the 110 though. I will be buying one for next winter, thats for sure!

As for your frozen machine, Put a large tarp over the whole machine, Place a heater under it & leave it for an hour. I use a d/c to a/c inverter plugged in to my cigarette lighter/ power outlet in my truck with an extension cord. It takes time but it will work.
Good luck! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-22          104673

Love Ms. might make a trip down to the coast for a week to get away. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-22          104674

I'll look at Curtiss again. I parked my truck and tractor in a friends parking lot with no power around. What I ended up doing was using a genorator to run a battery charger on the truck and a magnetic block heater. The tractor just took a boost from the other truck. I left the tractor running on the trailer as I hauled it 25 miles to the job. That magnetic block heater worked pretty good, never seen one. It's like a magnetic steam iron and sticks to the oil pan bottom. It heats the oil which heats the motor. Both vehicles have block heaters if I could park near power. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-22          104675

Grass God those cabs are different as to the fit on the 3010 to 3130 tractor. They aren't quite the same. Sometimes nothing is easy! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-22          104676

Can't find anything from Curtis for JD 110, if you find a link post it for me would ya? Thanks ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-22          104677

Sure thing ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-01-22          104683

I used to know a guy who was stationed at a base in Antartica when he was in the service. I don't remember any of the exact temps. etc. he told about, but it seems a day above -30 was like summer there. I haven't noticed any real estate ads for development property down there. Keep warm. Frank. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-01-24          104798

Here in Kentucky the weekend didn't get as bad as originally forecast. Maybe an 1" of snow, low Sunday morning of 8 degrees. The wind was gusting to 40 mph Saturday night.

I watched the NFL playoff games Sunday in front of a warm fire. I have deer hunted in temperatures similar to the Pitt-NE (11 degrees)game and tent camped in zero degrees. That was 20 years ago, not any more. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-24          104817

When I lived in Roseau, MN near Lake of the Woods, it was routinely warmer in Alaska. My first January up there went over 3 weeks without the temp ever getting above 0 F. I've been out snowmobiling when it's -30 outside. You just get used to it and dress warmer. Parking lots all had plug-ins for your block heater. That was nice.

I remember the good ole days of -50 and -60 wind chills. I used to grill in my garage when it was that cold. No way could I do it outside. Wonder what the neighbors thought with smoke rolling out the back door? ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-24          104820

Years ago we were in a beautiful mountain resort community looking at a golf course project we were bidding on.

We went into town where the resort had it's office for a meeting and when my foreman stepped out of the passenger's side of the truck and reached for a handfull of change to feed the meter out of habit. All of sudden everybody on the sidewalk started staring at him like he was from Mars or something. When I glanced at the street side of the 'parking' meter I realized why they were staring at him.

It wasn't a parking meter. It was a coin-operated electrical outlet for plugging in your block heater. It was a sunny July day and the temp. was about 75°...

Best of luck. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-01-24          104824

Now this is cold - a mate of mine used to work in Antartica during the summer as a field geologist (mapping rock types needed for oil surveying).

From Wikipedia:
Vostok, Antarctica is located near the Geomagnetic South Pole at the center of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet. Its name refers to the Russian research station. The station is 3488 m above sea level.

It is the place on Earth at which the lowest temperature has been reliably measured. At the Russian research station the temperature is regularly in the -30 °C to -60 °C range.

The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth, -89.2 °C (-128.6 °F), was measured here on July 21 , 1983 . Although still unofficial, Vostok Station may have broken its own record for the coldest temperature on Earth. It has been reported that Vostok reached the temperature of -91 °C during the winter of 1997.

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-24          104849

Well, the storm is finally over! The 50 mph winds were brutal!! Never saw snow get blown around so bad. I cleared a snow drift that was about 6' deep. The kubota really kicked serious A$$ in this storm. I dont know what I would have done with out it! I pilled snow as high as the fel would go! They are saying 4 - 5 inches tomarrow night & I dont know were we are going to put it, there is just no more room anywhere at the complexes we do. I guess we'll have to start using parking spaces for storage. I used a snowmobile helmut when operating the kubota. I dont know what the wind chill was but the actual temp was 6 degrees. My whole crew was complaining about how cold it was & that this was the coldest storm ever due to the winds, I however was sweating. I offered a spare helmut to one of my guys who was operating a zero turn riding mower with a 42" snowblower attachment on it because he said he was frozen, He declined the helmut because he thought it would make him look odd. I dont understand the logic of some these days. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-24          104861

Grassgod
Aint that the truth! I know we are not getting any younger but the snow still brings out the best in all people around here. Some one is stuck and there is help around the corner. When it is 75 outside and your broke down not a soul stops to help! LOL
True story of last weekends storm. The day after I was taking my family out to supper about 6pm. There was a snowmobiler stuck in a drift with only one kid helping him get out. NOT! I stopped and the wife said I was goofy. Jumped into the snow and we both lifted while he nailed it. Almost took the kids arm off but the guy was very thankful. He and his buddy then took off.
On the way home, in the exact same spot there was anouther guy stuck. This time I kept going, for I saw 3 more sleds coming from the east down that trail. I think they were all having fun!???
I can't stand the cold anymore but if we have snow I love it. Think a full cab would be nice though when I move (STILL)! LOL ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-25          104869

My only fear of having a cab installed is hindering my visibility. I am constantly back blading with my blade a half inch away from cars, garage doors etc. were precision visabitly is essential! ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-25          104889

Grassgod, I've used a snowmobile helmet in winter since I got my first tractor. The wind can't get through the fiberglass! But I do get a bit sweaty in there, but it's better than frost bite.

I may look dorky with a bright orange helmet on, but I'm warm when many others are not. I've gotten frost bite on my face before. It's no picnic. Besides, with the orange helmet, I get to tell my wife that's where the body will be if something goes wrong. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-27          105097

OH grassgod thats why you then need a gps for the snow storms blizzard conditions ya got to know where those cars are? night vision set up, and maybe even a onboard camera?. Then next year you can add the remote controll to operate it from the garage. The house would be too much like your not doing anything LOL
My kids are getting older and I now have 4 vehicals in my drive (between the garage and the drive anyway. Its like a frickin parking lot at walmart. Sooner or later I will hit one of them. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-28          105103

LOL...i hear ya, but I dont even plow my own driveway. By the time I get done working from the storm, I've had about 25 hours of plow time in & I dont want to do anymore. It takes at least 8" of snow to get me to clear my own stuff. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-10          105929

Being that I have absolutely nothing better to do since I have been off work, I have kept my drive (the black topped part 120' and the last 50' is 3 1/2 cars wide right down to the black top with the ole shovel and hand blower! My wife thinks I am doing it for her!LOL ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
greyhorse

2021-10-12          200742

My son borrowed my Goretex pants last winter and never returned them. I frozw my butt off last winter without them. He promeised to return them soon !!!!!

As the leaves fall its making me dread the 6AM snow and ice treatment, could live with less cold I suppose. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
charlieK

2021-10-15          200745

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorse | view 200742
My son borrowed my Goretex pants last winter and never returned them.I frozw my butt off last winter without them.He promeised to return them soon !!!!!As the leaves fall its making me dread the 6AM snow and ice treatment, could live with less cold I suppose.

very old post ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
greyhorse

2021-10-15          200747

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieK | view 200745
very old post

Hey Charlie,

An oldee but goody just the same LOL !

Do you get much snow in Kentucky? I am enjoying this warm October, not looking forward to January so much. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
Murf

2021-10-18          200754

My days of plowing snow in anything more than shirt sleeves are long past.

The stereo and suspension are a nice touch too. LOL

Best of luck. ....

-17 degrees F

View my Photos
charlieK

2021-11-25          200798

fired the ol wood burner up a cpl. hrs. ago--not gonna get outa the 30's here tomorrow

----------------hope all had a blessed turk day.... :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login