Go Bottom Go Bottom

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-26          101113

I have a question, i have never flown and must take a plane to mexico in december and as i buy tickets, i see layovers...are these as difficult as i think they are or should i go with a nonstop and invest two hundo more into the tickets?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-26          101116

No KC their not bad, but what is your time worth and how bedraggled do you want to be when you get there? If you can afford it non stop it's generaly always better and you have a greater chance of having your luggage going to the same place as yourself!!

Archdean ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-11-27          101153

yeah, i reckon, but the scariest thing is i would have to connect in mexico city, which is kind of a scary thing. And i just bought a kickin new luggage set and would be absolutely distraught if it got lost. I've going with a nonstop down and a one connect on the way back, i'll send pictures ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-27          101156

Don't get too attached to that fancy new luggage. Sooner or later it will get beat to hell even if they don't lose it. Hope it's soft sided as they seem to last a lot longer. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-11-27          101161

oh yeah, a soft red one, really kickin. And i have so many fricking layovers its ridiculous. I mean, i think three total..and Flights out of mexico city, which is like the armpit of the world. I get to deal with ohare, which is bad, Atlanta (which i've heard things) and stupid mc. Well if you don't hear from me in a couple months, you'll know why. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-27          101175

You need to consider the time of year and how busy the airports that you have layovers at are. Some are a breeze at 30 to 45 minutes layover and the next one will make you miss your flight if you don't have over an hour. When you do miss yur flight you are really out if they are busy. We waited for over 6 hours in the windy city before getting a flight out to a neighboring town. just can't think of another way to travel so quickly for the occasional inconvience of a goofed flight. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos

2004-11-29          101255

"Layovers" is another word for "Lounge".Drink slow and you won't care ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-30          101290

We did Australia this spring and was fine with everything on Quantas but there US counter part sure did leave us out in the cold. Unfortunately they wanted us to wait in Chicago for over two days for the next open flight! Finally 6 hours later we found a flight that brought us closer to home and had some friends come and pick us up. Airlines fault as it was there plane that broke, on the ground fortunately but gave us a terrible ending to a wonderful trip. So when we making plans for trips there are two things we look not to do, american airlines or Chicago! They would buy the over booked people off a flight but we were just white trash to them and it was there problem. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-11-30          101292

There is a show on the A&E channel that is sort of a reality show in one sense. It is called something like American airlines but it has cameras in a couple different airports (LAX, Midway, BWI, and some others I think) for Southwest Airlines and it covers passengers problems as well as how they are handled. I never realized how badly passengers get screwed. One plane was held up at another airport and the people missed their connecting flight and were pretty much left out in the cold. I think they eventually got another flight like 10 hours later. Another time they tried to accomodate a bunch of people who missed their flight by re-routing another plane which in turn caused the people on board that plane to miss their connecting flight. I think I would definitely go non-stop if I could afford it. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2004-11-30          101293

Kubotachick: To layover in Mexico city is not too bad, just be sure you have enough time between flights. You should not have to leave the terminal, but will have to pass customs there, as it is your port of entry. You'll probably see your luggage there and re-check it to you final point. Don't pack anything of value in your checked baggage. The rule is" if you don't want to lose it, don't take it". Take a small carry on with some clothes and yor camera, use a money belt or sleave inside your clothing. Keep track of your passport and carry photo copies in your wallet and in you luggage, helps speed replacement if lost. I travel about 175,000 miles for business each year, luggage lasts about 1/2 year. Too much plane time, too little tractor time. Just came throught Mexico city 3 weeks ago. Relax, be carefull, don't over drink and enjoy yourself. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-11-30          101294

Mexico City isn't as bad as you may think. Although when you get outside of the airport, smog really hurts your eyes and breathing is different until you get accustomed to it. Convert some money at the bank inside the airport for a good exchange rate. Be careful of con-men and don't do any alleys in the dark. Don't drink the water except if it is bottled. No ice cubes. Brush your teeth with bottled water or coke. No coffee either. Don't eat fresh fruit with a skin like apples or strawberries. Melon is ok.

Also from my experience, Atlanta is a good place to come through customs. In my opinion it is one of the best ports of entry with regard to speed. Expect your bags to get knicked and ripped. Take along a good book to read during your layovers and don't get excited. Patience is important, and being on time or early is essential.

If you are in O'Hare early in the morning, the "Sticky-buns" vendors have some really good pastries. Avoid O'Hare when winter storms are predicted.

Pick Airlines that have multiple flights to and from your departure and destination points. That way if you miss a flight another one will be not to far off.

Have a pleasant and safe trip! ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-30          101296

If you are on a connecting flight out of Mexico City back to the States, remember that the food was prepared in Mexico City. Use all the same precautions. Waiting for your final connection in Chicago with a case of the revenge isn't much fun. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2004-11-30          101298

Oh how true, same holds true for taking showers or brushing your teeth. Those bad bacteria can even enter through your eyes. I'm gotten sick after arriving home after having a United or Mexicana Air meal. The important thing, is don't be a vulnerable tourist. Stick with your friends or group. When it comes to shopping negotiate like you're trying to buy a new tractor. About 50% of asking is usually OK, especially if with a local merchant or artist. These people are really poor, about $2k per capita over age of 16yrs. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-11-30          101303

Can't say I've been through Mexico City, but I've done just about every major airport in the US. I hated Newark, NJ. What a dung heap! I've been stranded before as well. Chatanooga, TN is a very small airport. Very friendly and helpful people, but getting stuck there for 6 hours was a lesson in boredom.

The layover I hated the most was coming back from Korea. I had a 4 hour layover in O'Hare after having spent 13 hours on an airplane. I was not happy. I could have rented a car and been home sooner.

My favorite flights were when I lived in northern Minnesota. Was a 1 room airport. No security or lines. They just opened a door and said "let's go." ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-12-01          101362

When you have layovers, the best advice given is pick a major airline with a lot of flight options. If your airline only has a couple flights a day and you miss yours for any reason, you may be stuck for a day or more. If the airline has flights every couple hours, then you have a lot of options. I take 30-40 flights a year and have only overnighted in a layover city once and that was due to a late evening flight and a heavy snowstorm. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-01          101383

my tickets arrived today, and i'm a little hesitant about the whole excursion now...and i'm sure not going to leave the airport in mexico city, again, i've heard things. I kept the same airline for the whole trip, is that going to make layovers any easier?

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-01          101386

Often airlines will hold their own flights for brief periods of time so their passengers can make connections. This isn't true when changing between airlines, so if you have to make connections it's better if the flights are both from the same airline. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-12-01          101388

Yes, keeping the same airline for the entire trip is the way to go. Hope none of us scared you about the trip. It will be a piece of cake. Mexico City does have some pretty sights, don't miss out on this opportunity. It is a very, very big city. I believe there is a hugh flea market thing that goes on every Saturday. You can get some nice jewelry, leather, jewels, gold, etc. at reasonable prices. I bought a few leather and silver gifts on my last trip which has been quite a few years now. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-01          101391

i'm not staying in mexico city...i have to wait there for my plane to morelia on a plane "pack of gum with wings". You know the kind of plane that sounds like an outboard motor outside of the water...the kind you wind up...well there you go. Yeah, aeromexico is how i'm flying...i've never even heard of it. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-01          101392

Aeromexico can't be worse than the Cochise Airlines flight I took once from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I sat next to the pilot on that one, and watched while the right engine sprayed oil all over my window while the pilot tapped on the oil pressure gauge and read through his maintenance logs. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-01          101393

Not the old flagstaff to phoenix joke again...please...(how far will the plane take us? -- To the scene of the crash). I don't know, the flight between morelia and mexico city is 40 minutes long and on the map its only like an inch away...i'm kind of scared ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-12-02          101419

Maybe it will turn out kinda romantic like the movie "Six Days-Seven Nights" or whatever it was called. I have some friends that live in Mexico six months out of the year. They love it! They live about another inch away on the map, right on the Ocean. Guess there are lots of vacationing Americans around this entire area. AeroMexico isn't a bad airline as compared to some. Hoping you have a pleasant adventure!! ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-02          101437

can't say i caught that flick...oh well, looks like something i will have to rent. Yeah...the people i'm going to stay with stay down there about the same..a little shorter maybe. I will be spending some time on the ocean...its not one of those oceans with sharks is it? ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-02          101439

"...its not one of those oceans with sharks is it?"

Every ocean has sharks.

Do a little research, most shark bites happen in water 3' deep or less......

Enjoy the vacation ....... LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-02          101440

i think maybe i'll just soak up some rays by the beach bar...the only thing that can get me there is crabs (he he). I don't know how to swim anyways, so i think maybe i'll just stick to the sand...get a nice native look, if i ever get that far. I just saw a picture of the charter that takes me from mxc to morelia, yikes ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-12-02          101441

It was a Harrison Ford flick as a has been bush pilot on location in Tahiti. Was kinda stupid but entertaining. I don't like saltwater and as far as I'm concerned there can be sharks anywhere in the Pacific. I forget the name of the little town my friends live near. It has black sand beaches, etc. Doubt if you will find an hombre with a kubota but you never know. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-02          101442

funny you say that, the hombre that i'm going to visit has a kubota, but it stay here in the states. I guess there isn't much need for them down there. Also, do they really celebrate siesta at two oclock in the afternoon or is this just a stupid story (i heard you float better in saltwater) ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-02          101443

It's just a rumour that you float better, it's actually all the little bubbles in the Cuervesas that makes you float better. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-12-02          101444

The "Siesta" is a thing of the past except for a few bar bums sleeping it off. I can't swim nor even float. Saltwater helps but dries out your skin and bleaches your swimsuit if you're wearing one. ....

Plane Layovers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-12-02          101445

IF you're wearing one is the key...yeah, and you know...i was really considering buying a new suit, but i guess i should hold off. And for the sharks, they'll only get the person who swims slower than you, point in question, i'll hang out with the geriatric swimmers ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login