Go Bottom Go Bottom

Burnt up stihl 290 chain saw 4 months old

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-06          189440

Well I took my saw back to dealership yesterday and asked them to keep it and try it themselves. Just got called, the saw is burnt up. Said something had to block air flow to cause it to do so. What I was told that causes it is having it beside your leg and your plants leg being sucked in covering the air intake to cool it. Well I do not stand with saw against me using it. Was also told not worth fixing and NO help from Stihl. The icing is they have just recently stopped making this saw...I wonder why?

This saw has been problem cranking from day one. I really feel like this saw had problems from the first. Have only cut enough with it to now need the third time to sharpen the chain.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-06          189441

Kthompson,

My son-in-law just burned up his Husqvarna 455 Rancher. The dealer told him it wasn't worth fixing.

I asked a bunch of questions, and determined that the saw failure was caused by fuel that had been stored in the saw for a long period, causing the fuel-oil mixture to separate. The piston was broken and the cylinder had signs of very high heat and no lube.

New parts for the saw cost $49.00. (ebay) He replaced the piston and cylinder. Works like new.

2-stroke gas-oil mixtures will begin to separate after only a few hours. If the fuel isn't mixed up again before use, the saw will suffer badly from lack of lubrication.

Lesson learned.....but the saw works like brand new again.

You might want to try rebuilding it yourself. It's not a difficult project, and you'd be out nothing if you fail.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-03-06          189442

Kthompson,

I believe I've found a kit for you.

See link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Stihl 290 piston and jug kit.

View my Photos
nrev52
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-06          189444

I had problems with a saw after taking it in to be serviced. They left the air filter off and later cited that as the cause for the malfunction until I told them it was they that left it off. They looked at it again and decided that I had run it too hard?
You have to watch company servicing sometimes as they can be motivated to sell you a new item. Especially in a case like this where that one is "outdated". ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-06          189446

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 189441
Kthompson,My son-in-law just burned up his Husqvarna 455 Rancher.The dealer told him it wasn't worth fixing.I asked a bunch of questions, and determin ...

You know I always shake gas mix intuitively before using... ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-06          189447

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 189441
Kthompson,My son-in-law just burned up his Husqvarna 455 Rancher.The dealer told him it wasn't worth fixing.I asked a bunch of questions, and determin ...

You know I always shake gas mix intuitively before using... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-03-06          189448

Kenny, that story they gave you, is just that, a story.

If you had blocked the air intake that saw would have gotten hotter than you could hold on to and would have lost all power and quit in a flash. Those little 2 strokes just burn up without air to them. You'd definitely have known the minute it happened. You'd also smell it from a few yards off.

Tell them you want the saw back. Then take it to another small engine shop to take a look at it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-06          189449

I did pick the saw up. Joel I will check out the link you have and thank you very much. Dennis< I very seldom fuel a 2 cycle without shaking the gas mixture can.

Went to Husky dealership that I had talked to before buying the Stihl and he was careful not to run down the Stihl product line in any manner. But he told me some things I found interesting: clogged fuel or air filter could cause that, running with a real dull chain,and carb settings. He did mention the issue with ethanol sitting and allowing the alcohol settling to bottom of a gas can. The Stihl dealership on the second trip told me the card was not set correctly and adjusted it and it ran better. Maybe no connection but for a shop I have done business off and on with for about 40 years afraid they have lost me. Have bought at least two riding mowers with last one at same time as saw was over $10,000, string trimmers, other chain saw(s).
Just don't get it. It is gotten to the point you need to record all conversations for such reason. Sad.

Again thank you all. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-06          189450

Joel...WOW...that is the parts the dealer told me was bad (piston and cylinder) and they were $200 for parts only plus what ever the labor would be. Thank you Joe.
I do realize these are not Stihl parts. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-03-06          189452

Kthompson,

My son-in-law replaced his Husky parts with the same aftermarket version I provided in the link. Perfect fit, and no problems at all with the operation.

I was able to see the bad jug and piston when he was up to visit at Thanksgiving. The jug was badly scored, and the piston was melted around the top edge, before it finally broke. The wrist pin mounts snapped off in the piston. It was evident that the piston had seized in the cylinder while on the compression stroke.

I'm sure these replacement parts are imported, but he's very happy with the way the saw is running.

I think it would be worth trying. For 42 bucks and free shipping, you wouldn't be out much, and you could end up several hundred bucks ahead.

Joel ....

View my Photos
treeman

2014-03-06          189453

The saw should have a pressure/vacuum test for air leaks. I just repaired a MS250 that never ran right (low hours) and the clam shell was leaking everywhere. It ran great when sealed up right. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-03-12          189533

Not to make light of any ones chainsaw problems but it brought a true story to mind.
A friend of mine had bought a new Lawn Boy two cycle lawn mower. While at work his wife loaned the Lawn Boy to her brother. After a couple hours the brother brought it back saying it quit and wouldn't restart, the brother knew nothing about gas/oil mix and used straight gas, it was shot.
My friend threw it in the junk bought another new Lawn Boy and told his wife that if God himself wanted to borrow the new one to loan it to him, but he is the only one who could borrow it.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-13          189542

Follow up:
Bought the parts Joel recommended and the shop that repaired it said they used them also. I think picked the right shop, turns out they are kin to the dealer I bought the saw from and were trained and worked there for 20 plus years. They are a repair shop only.

Their opinion was the carburetor was certainly too lean. Said so after repair and testing the saw. The damage amazed them. The piston is scored badly on the exhaust side while the intake side looks great. The rings are stuck in as far down in the exhaust side groves as they will go. Have not used the saw yet just picked it up this afternoon. I know it ran good for them for I listened to them crank and run it a few seconds.

I used Stihl's web site early last Friday to contact them on this and so far have no contact back from them. Just sent them another not going away and will pursue the issue. Right now I am very willing to do commercial for the other guys.

View my Photos
treeman

2014-03-13          189543

If it seized because it is sucking air through a crankcase leak, you will be repairing it again. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-03-13          189547

Kthompson,

Glad to hear you got the Stihl running again.

Treeman is correct. Any small air leak will cause your saw to run lean, but I believe the shop guys would have been able to determine if there was a leak, because the carb adjustment would have involved several turns on the adjustment screws to compensate, which would have set off a few alarm bells with them.

Keep us posted.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-13          189548

Treeman, I will ask them. Did not think of that today.

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-17          189598

I submitted complaint to Stihl on their web site on 2/7 early that morning. I sent second notice one week later on 2/14 had not heard anything. That was last Friday.
At 3:45 PM dealer called me and it was an hour later before I could return the call. He was upset it had gotten to that point (not sure all that meant) and said he had not been told by his employees of the issue.
He has a brother who is wheelchair bound for many years due to a three wheeler incident and he had taken a roll with wheel chair breaking both hips and he had been out. Made me feel bad for not having asked about brother being out but I found it hard to believe his employees did not tell him about a total equipment failure.
Dealer was willing to do what ever it would take to make me pleased from paying for the repair I had already had done to replacing the power head or buying the saw back. I upgraded from the MS 290 to the MS 391 on basically an even swap. I gave him my MS 290 with an extra chain and received the 391 with extra chain but with my having paid $155 of repair. He offered the difference to me and I declined it.

Now the difference between the MS 290 and the MS 391: either there is bigger difference between them than the specs indicate or the MS 290 had never preformed as it should. Probably ran the 391 just short an hour Saturday and even with holding back on throttle due it being brand new it out cut the 290. Also cranked much easier.

Renewed my faith in Stihl and dealer.

View my Photos
treeman

2014-03-17          189605

Glad you are up and running now. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-20          189649

Treeman, I did ask abut air leak and was told it would have done the same thing but normally an air leak will cause it not to idle properly which the saw basically did fine.

Did appreciate the suggestion there for I learned more on 2 cycle engines. kt ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-03-20          189653

One other thing I discovered with my new Johsered; the EPA strikes again. They now have the manufacturers getting designing the saw to cold start at a very high rpm. It eventually idles down, but not before smoking the clutch (with the brake engaged). My whole life I viewed starting a chainsaw with the brake engaged as a safety measure. This new generation of saws changed that. The cold idle is high enough to overheat the brake clutch to the point of smoking. So I now necessarily start the saw with the brake off.

Not sure, but leads me to think that there may be a relationship between engaging the brake on a cold saw - and the cylinder damage described.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-03-20          189655

I'm not trying to hijack the thread from chainsaws to lawnmowers but the air leak thing reminded me of something.
I have a cousin who has fixed lawnmowers for years, he was telling of the biggest problem with Lawnboy two cycles that get hard to start.
After about so many years the lower crankshaft seal begins to leak air, a new seal usually gets them going again.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2014-03-20          189656

I was wondering about Ken's saw as we have had good luck with the Stihl over all. We have had to help customers before like this although not common and my crew is normally good at getting to us for the exceptions like Ken's. Stihl has been very quick to take up the damage control of costs to us!
I'm glad that he got the new saw! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-20          189674

Art I really feel like there was an issue with my saw from Stihl. I hope it was not the dealer who ate the cost. I do feel like the dealer was part of the problem for it seemed they had the attitude from the beginning I did not know how to crank one and never considered their could be a problem with the saw itself.

In the end feel I was treated fair. Enough looking at a Stihl trimmer. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2014-03-20          189683

One thing that I have mixed emotions on is the newer fixed carbs so you loose adjustments, some adjusted and got themselves into more trouble!

Hope your going for the straight shaft trimmer. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2014-03-20          189686

I have a Stihl FS85 Brushcutter with the big tiller bars. If you are maneuvering around objects much, they are a pain. The big bars work good for back and forth sweeping motion. I also have a steel chisel blade that works good for the bigger, woody stuff. Art, which blade works best for plain weeds and knee high grass? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-21          189697

Art, any thoughts on the MS55 with trimmer head on it? As to curved shaft trimmers, bought one years ago, one of the early brands with a single string. Weed Eater brand. Went from that to biggest model with sting head for it with Green Machine. Now that was a true cutter, string head would cut pines an half inch in diameter. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-23          189737

Think I told you all dealer was willing for me to upgrade to a MS391 model. Either is a lot more work horse or the 290 never was running right. I have used the 391 about an hour last Saturday and then a couple of hours yesterday and it is a pleasure. It is a joy as it will cut right through a tree the 290 would build friendship with it took so long. Much more power than the 290. Again makes me think the 290 had issue from first cranking it or the 391 is a real horse compared to it. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2014-03-29          189837

Ken when it comes to trimmers I like the straight shaft models. The one I run now is probably 20 years old and other then some ethanol problems a couple of years ago has been flawless. The MM55 has been good and there are other makes out their similar to them although I have found Stihl to be different the quality is always there.

On the saws I'd rather get the pro models as that is what Stihl built it's reputation on much the same as Husquvarna. The home owner saws are the most common sold but I found the power and weight differences to be worthy in the long haul. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2014-04-07          189984

Interesting story. I am a Stihl guy from way back, as I built and installed the tooling machines for Stihl back in the 1980's, for their crank shafts and connecting rods.
I have a friend in RI that bought a new Stihl about six months or so back. He ran it about four times, and the thing had to be brought back as it was (somehow) spent. the dealer told him he ran it without oil. Not likely to say the least. The thing was toast....just wanted to sell another new saw to him...again, not likely. Some years back, I was given an older Stihl to ad to my assortment of Stihl saws.
It needed a piston and cylinder, rings while I was in it. I found them on ebay, from a German supplier. As I am German, it was kind of cool to do this. Anyway, the Stihl dealer here in the USA, wanted some $90 for just the piston, let alone the cylinder and balance of parts I wanted. The folks in across the pond, not only furnished ALL the parts I desired, they sent me some German chocolate along with, for LESS (including Customs) that the price of just the cylinder from the dealer here. I realize that Stihl originated over there, but c'mon now....the prices here are nutty by comparison.
They do themselves a dis-service by being so greedy.

Willie H

View my Photos
Art White

2014-04-09          190005

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman | view 189686
I have a Stihl FS85 Brushcutter with the big tiller bars. If you are maneuvering around objects much, they are a pain. The big bars work good for back and forth sweeping motion. I also have a steel chisel blade that works good for the bigger, woody stuff. Art, which blade works best for plain weeds and knee high grass?

Around here we use a big three blade type cutter with the handle bars units. These work well for the pastures when changing the pastures to new ground to cut the hay to keep it away from the fences. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2014-04-23          190163

I went with a Stihl O-66 back in 1993 after a really bad ice storm. I still have that same saw and it runs just like the day I bought it. Mind you I run the gas mix at about 40:1 for the extra oil and lubrication. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-04-25          190171

Willie, that is about the same time I bought mine that failed in a short time. The person who did the repair work told me it looked like it could have had trash in the cylinder (which would have had to happened before assembly). If he has not reached out to Stihl go to their web site and do so.

Being run with no oil was not an excuse they could use on mine for it had been to the dealership so often they saw about every tank of fuel.

As to the price of parts, Joel (as he has done for others) went to the effort to find the parts I needed on ebay and email me the link at about 35% of the price with Stihl. No chocolates though.

This has been another Tractorpoint success for me! KT

View my Photos
WillieH

2014-04-25          190173

KT ~

Perhaps there was a modification in production practice, bad materials, whatever at that time...certainly seems interesting that there were many of whom experienced similar problems AND results.

I have four units to date. Two are 028 AV Supers, MS290, 024. The 028's have an 18" and 20" bar on them, with chisel tooth cut, and bought them new in 1984 ! They may be heavier, but by golly they run great still ! I don't believe I will get the service from the MS290 as the 028's but we'll see.

I'll send you some chocolates! lol

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2014-07-29          190796

I've had good luck with my MS270 execpt for the epa problems--won't do as much as my big echo or husky but a nice little saw--I've learnt on this thread to shake the gas before using and not let ANYONE borrow it no matter how good a friend they are ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-31          190811

Shacking gas mixture is a must before fueling and I would say so is the tool if possible when it has sat.

Willie, the chocolates were very good, but please no more, got to loss some weight. lol One thing I heard from all three shops were due to epa regs no two cycle will last like they did. Having to run too lean a fuel ratio.

Did pull out the replacement saw a couple of weeks ago to clear some storm trash and it was nice to use. Seem as if God thinks now have that saw need to use it. Clean up from one small storm and there is another to put down more trees.

Auerbach, wish you were near enouogh for fire wood. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login