Go Bottom Go Bottom

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
deeremd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-21          80616

I am seriously considering buying with the Ford Superduty w/the 6.0 diesel or the Chevy HD with the Duramax. In ten words or less, which would our experts on this boards recommend and why? Also, which is going to get me better fuel mileage (and about what can I expect?)??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80622

The powerstroke has had problems, but I don't like Chevy.

(10 words, count 'em) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80624

Ditto what Ken said! Buy a Dodge Ram Cummins 600. ;o) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-21          80637

Your pay back for the 1 ton diesel is ~ 180K miles, longer for a 3/4 ton. The Ford has recently had problems with the powerstroke. The GM is a little new for me as personally they have had 3 strike outs before this one. I went for the Cummins I want to be assured that it is going to pay back. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
harvey

2004-03-21          80641

F ound
O n
R ussian
D ump

4 words! ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
drbandson

2004-03-21          80649

Love the triton V8 supercab, but it is not diesel.
the dealer can give you a deal because every one is getting diesel.Sorry to many words and did not even answer your question. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-21          80650

Deeremd; I trade pickups every other December. Used to be a Ford man till the Ford dealers turned into jerks, been a Chevy man the last two just because the Dealer has been super. Trucks were a toss up. Having a good dealer is 90% of your decision. Frank. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Billy

2004-03-21          80661

Harvey

F O R D always stood for F***ed-up Old Rebuilt Dodge.

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-21          80666

It always stood for Found On Road Dead in the true north. Thats why I had a Mercury. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-03-22          80682

You guys are brutal. I have owned 34 fords and have never had a bad one. My current (02) F-250 5.4L is an awsome truck, I have no complaints. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-22          80705

Frankly, I don't think any of the big 3 do quality very well. I grew up a BIG GM fan because my dad used to work for them and because that's all he drove. Then in the 70's and 80's after a string of bad ones in the family I swore "never again". So I started buying Fords. We've had three now and things break on them that should NEVER break (cracked heads on one, bad wrist pins on another, etc) and there is always something broken. So, no more Fords for me. I'll give Dodge a try next, but if the Dodge isn't much better and I need a heavy duty full size truck what is left? Maybe five years from now Toyota and Nissan will offer up some real competition in the big truck market. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-22          80707

A buddy of mine (a died in the wool bow-tie fan) sums it up best.

"All trucks are created equal, nobody has any secrets that nobody else has, no miracle processes. It just so happens I have Chevy butt, it's not comfortable sitting in a Ford."

It is strange though that anytime we go somewhere together he wants to take my Ford.

I continually kid him "REAL trucks work for a living, they're not sissy's wearing bow-tie's."

The battle continues. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-22          80711

Ken, take a look at the Dodge Cummins pickups. Most of the truck is NOT made by Dodge.........at least the important parts. Engine=Cummins, Axles=Dana (US on the new models), Transmission=New Venture (manual only, DO not buy an automatic), Transfer Case=New Venture. The sheet metal is overly thin and should be doubled in thickness in my opinion but all the manfacturers are do it. The interiors are not bad but Dodge needs a FULL crew cab with 4 FULL doors. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-22          80718

Yeah Chief, I want one of those Cummins REAL BAD, but it's gonna have to wait a couple of years until after we build a new shop and the tractor is paid off. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-22          80719

I hear ya Ken. Being paid for is a GOOD thing! I think I am gonna sell the boat and pay off the tractor. The Dodge is 0% financing so I will just pay it as is due. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-22          80720

I read an article the other day on the new Dodge (read Mercedes-Benz) full-size cargo van.

They stopped production of the old version recently and replaced it with a re-badged M-B cargo van which has been the industry standard for decades in Europe. It was welcomed into the North American market by UPS & FedEx who each pre-ordered huge fleets of them.

It's bigger brother is being marketed by (and as a) Freightliner to replace the old Curb-sider so popular in city delivery work.

The really interesting part of the story was the comment by the Daimler Chrysler exec. who said that this new van was "just the beginning" of Eurpoean technology finding it's way to our dealers showroom. This makes me believe that it is only a matter of time before they move to the M-B diesel and other components.

I think a Unimog with sport trim and fancy interior could really knock a few numbers off the Hummer sales figures...

Best of luck. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-22          80726

Murf are they building the new van on the old Winsor line? Saw a truck load the other day. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-22          80728

I'm told that until they have the numbers to justify production here they will be re-badged imports. This is why they are only available at "selected" dealers for now. Likewise with it's bigger brother, only "selected" Frieghtliner dealers can order them.

Windsor has been re-tooled to handle the expected jump in minivan sales with the new "Stow & Go" seating system. All seats except the front two collapse into floor pockets for a completely flat floor. Daimler Chrysler expects big numbers and is using the old 'cargo' van line in Windsor to pick up the slack.

This flurry of imports is allegedly the reason GM is bringing so many 'concept' vehicles to production in order to protect sales numbers. They are rumoured to be negotiating with Volvo's heavy truck division to bring in some mid-sized vehicles to stay competitive. After the problems they had with the Isuzu trucks I doubt it will happen.

Best of luck. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-03-22          80735

kwschumm-Sounds like either you have had really bad luck or I have had really good luck. I had an '87 Bronco that I put 208,000+ on. The engine itself was never touched until I lost a timing chain at about 207,000. In all those miles, I replaced 1 u-joint, 1 power steering pump, and 1 water pump. Still had the original alternator and starter.
Now I have a '97 F150 with 138,000+ miles. Has not had a wrench on it.
I was also a Chevy man until a Chevy dealer made me mad and I bought the Bronco. Have never regretted it. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-22          80741

Bill, my 98 F150 is my first Ford. 170K and like yours, not a wrench put to it (other than brakes). It still has all the power that it did at 20K. I might have to drive this for another two years before I wear something out. :-) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-03-22          80742

They are both good. Take a long test drive.

I had problems with Ford & GM in the 70's. I bought a '77 Datsun 280Z (now Nissan). Now that was a piece of junk. It looked good though! In 5 years and 50,000 miles, it was repainted three times and the engine rebuilt once.

I have a black cloud over me. Everything I buy seems to have something wrong with it. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-03-22          80773

I'll 2nd the motion to buy the Dodge with the 6speed.

10 years 160k miles = no problems
1994 Dodge 2500 4x4, 5-speed, 3.55 Gears, wish it was a crew cab ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Farmuse

2004-05-21          86548

your real bright the mercury is just an expennsive FORD, but I guess you've figured that out recently if you have bought parts. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
dcarp@swbell.net

2004-06-09          88164

I thought that it stood for:
F - fix
O - or
R - repair
D - daily
Now on my second Dodge with Cummins both have been great.
but whatever make the dealer has to be good or the experience can be painful(past experiences - the Dodges have only gone to the dealer for inspection stickers and routine maint.) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Longhair

2004-06-10          88244

Fantastic Orasmic Realistic Dream MOPAR My old pig aint running/motor on pavement after race/more old parts and rust ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-06-10          88255

Longhair check out my pic #2 this is a view that many chevy and mopar drivers have seen as I pull box cars on them. It does my heart good to frustrate the mid-life crisis guys in there new vettes espeacially the ZO6's. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Longhair

2004-06-10          88276

Sweet Can't wait for the 05 Stang.Z06 is a peni extension.Looks like a chevy Viper.Pretty bad when a Porsche SUV puts out mor hp then a Z06 ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-06-11          88297

I saw an 05 GT at a car show this past weekend it was awsome. When they make an SVT or Shelby model I will be buying one. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-06-11          88307

My 98 F150 has been an excellent truck (175K with only maintenance work). But when I replace it there will be no 5-speed models available from Ford (I believe). Maybe most people don't care but I will buy another brand rather than accept something I don't want.

Possibly a Toyota? ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-11          88313

You can't get a stick on the Tundra unless you buy the weak V6 model. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-11          88314

You can get the F-150 Heritage with the 5-speed manual/overdrive. I believe that is the older body style that is running concurrent with the new F-150 model. The F-250 also comes with a 6-speed manual/overdrive. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-06-11          88316

Maybe the 3/4 ton is the way to go anyway. I should have a heavier truck for towing the weights I tend to tow lately. I would have liked a diesel but they're just too pricey for my wallet. :-( ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
dcarp1

2004-06-15          88614

BUT the savings on fuel and maintenance will make up for the difference in price over the long haul.
Plus the average Cummins engine runs 400,000 miles before overhaul, take care of it and it will run a really ong time. Spend the extra money now and you will be glad you did. It will tow much better than any gasser. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Bubbaloo

2004-06-16          88703

I,ve owned 2 trucks both Ford, in my long 37 year life, and both were bought used at that. I never had any problems with ether other than regular maintainance and an starter or alt. now and then.
When I went to buy a new truck in October 2003 I had every intention to buy a Ford diesel . The dealer had a Ford, a Dodge (Wow was it loud), and a Chevy (all used) he started them all up and after hearing how quiet the Chevy was I took her for a spin. Wow, I haven't looked back. I get between 15.5-19 mi. to the gallon. It's a 2001 2500HD with the Allison Tranny. I have added a Edge juice w/attitude. I love the power, I love the way it rides, I just love the truck. I have taken quite the razzing from friends and family for buying a Chevy. I don't care though it's love.
Just my .10 cent worth. (oops you said 10 words not .10 cents) ;) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
bellaterra

2004-06-27          89450

I own a Ford 1-ton Dually supercab with the 7.3 diesel and it has power to spare. I've always been a chevy truck man but I'll probably never go back. The new Powerstroke 6.0 has has problems, but word is Ford is going back to the 7.3

If you want a diesel buy a Ford, if you want a gas burner go Chevy. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
TON

2004-07-06          90228

I have owned three ford trucks all of them 350 with the diesel and all manual transmissons My 92' has 450,000 miles. truck looks like hell but it still runs and has had 9000lbs. sitting on the rear axle befor.the other truck is tapping out at 200,000 miles its a 99 stroker, the latest is a 2004 with 80000 miles and is amazing i drove a new chevy and if they dont change motors they wont be able to compete

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-07-08          90361

Having lived in Africa most of my life I can tell you that there are 4 trucks that have survived test of time there. In Africa a test of time includes running the motor to at least 250 000mi (400 000 km) and never needing all sorts of fancy parts for repairs that you cant find at all dealers. Definately no heated leather seats. All have to be hard working and value for money, some would be considered small frame here (in the US) except they all are rated to 1 metric tonne (2200lb) capacity. They are: 1) Toyota hilux (like 4 runner) and 2) Toyota landcruiser - looks nothing like the land cruiser sold here 3)Isuzu KB series - dont know of local equivalent 4)Landrover. What is amazing is the American big 3 dont even feature? Thats my 0.02. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-25          99249

Murf said
"This flurry of imports is allegedly the reason GM is bringing so many 'concept' vehicles to production in order to protect sales numbers. They are rumoured to be negotiating with Volvo's heavy truck division to bring in some mid-sized vehicles to stay competitive. After the problems they had with the Isuzu trucks I doubt it will happen."

Isnt Volvo owned by Ford? ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-25          99251

When I first shopped for a pickup, I gave all three a chance, equally and unbiased. I looked at Ford, pricing was OK, interiors looked nice, engines had the most torque. Looked at Chevy, body styles were ok, interiors looked cheap and boxy, fabric looked cheap as well, Engines had the most horsepower(fine for a sportscar, trucks need torque), pricing on par with Ford. Looked at Dodge, Pricing was too much, walked away. I wound up getting a Ford because the Dealer I went to gave me a good deal. The truck never needed any work done on it for the 36000 miles I had it, found a great deal on an F350 Dually and traded up, only reason I dont have the F150 anymore.

If you are looking for a towing Rig, Ford has the most torque and as of 2003 Ford has out towed the others up a grade. If you are looking to haul a load, stay away from a Dodge, they cant handle weight. I went to Home Depot one time to get 44 sheets of 1/2" drywall, and when the guy loaded my truck, he said he would not even attempt to load that much into a dodge. He had a customer with a 2500 that he loaded a pallet of shingles on it, and the front wheels came off the ground, and the rear bumper kissed the ground. Now isnt the 2500 a size up from the F150? I have heard similiar stories regarding dodge not being able to handle the weight that the Fords can. Dont know how the Chevy can hold up to it, but I am sure it is better than the dodge. Too bad Ford cant put a cummins in the Superduty, then it would be one Hell of a truck! ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
DirtRod

2005-02-07          105641

Hmmm
I thought it was

First

On

Race

Day

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Casco1

2005-02-13          106005

I work & plow with a 2002 F250 5.4. I drive and move my equiptment with a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0. I can't help you with any deisel info. As far as I'm concerned the chevy is a much better truck. It will out pull & out handle the ford. and is a much more comfortable truck to drive & ride. Mechanically I've no serious trouble with either, and as a previous poster stated the chevy dealer is much better to deal with and worked much harder to sell me this truck. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-15          108077

Its hard to keep a truck for long in DEER COUNTRY. Of course I dont have a cell phone or tv to take my attention off the roads and have not totalled a truck on a deer yet but I do have many friends that have. In fact some guys seem to be magnets for deer hits. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-15          108079

Broken, I guess you never saw the special about some of our poorer folks that could not afford rifles and ammo. I watched it a few years back. They built big pipe bumpers one the fronts of the trucks and went ramming. They spottlighted a group of deer and drove right into them(in fields). If you gotta eat. They could not afford 2 guns, rifle and shotgun, so they just had a shot gun for small game, for deer, they would slit all the way around a bird shot(cheap) shell, leaving just a little tab of plastic to hold it together. when they fired, they whole end of the shell would go out like a slug. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
plots1

2005-03-15          108083

That's called ringing the shell, NOT a good thing to do as it can blow up the barrel and really cause havic to anyone close by. I've seen it happen first hand. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-16          108095

"They built big pipe bumpers one the fronts of the trucks and went ramming."

I'm sure the question on everybody's mind is did they modify a Ford or a Chevy?" :) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-16          108100

Come on Dave, reallllllly!

"They built big pipe bumpers one the fronts of the trucks and went RAMMING."

Dodges, obviously, duh?!!

ROFLMAO ......

Best of luck. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-16          108102

"They built big pipe bumpers one the fronts of the trucks and went RAMMING."

Murf, you've gotta take it easy on old guys like me. I still don't equate RAM with Dodge trucks. To me they're just Power Wagons. :)
Dave ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-16          108108

All in good fun friend, all in good fun.

BTW, up here they call them "Goat Trucks" because there's one on the hood. LOL.

Now don't go mixing up Power Wagons in the conversation, we had one at our summer place for years, military surplus, complete with the big PTO driven winch. It didn't anywhere near resemble the later offerings labelled "Power Wagon" by those nice folks in Detroit. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-16          108134

As long as it is all in good fun, how about Toyota putting lettering on the rear fender ''TRD'' everytime I see it I think of abbreviations and I guess Ram or Goat ain't so bad.. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-16          108140

on a quiet night you can hear a chevy leak oil and parts are cheap because the sh_t breaks often thus giving a endless core supply;)
by the way toyo got the spelling of the translation wrong it's TURD ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-16          108141

Say JAZAK5, what happened to your pics??? ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-16          108145

busy guy,I am not good at resizing my photo's it takes to much time to resize 5.o meg pixls its on my "to do"/"honey do that" list.
anyway this is a tractor forum ,if your not on your tractor your wasting seat time right???? ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-16          108147

my buddy just sold his dura junk to buy his FORD back from the same dealer and this guy buys trucks faster than changing diapers on his kid. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
dieseltrctr

2005-08-23          115305

FORD!.....'NUFF SAID :-) ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
77simplicity

2006-01-22          123256

Go chevy alot more reliable thats all i ever owned and never had any problems. My friend owns a 1998 ford f150 i own a 1974 chevy scottsdale that is all rusted out still more reiliable than the f150. That f150 usually breaks down atleast 2 times every 4 months the scottsdale only broke down 1 time since i bought it new and that was because i was being extremely hard on it. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
agriman

2006-01-24          123434

1949 F5 Grain body Flathead V8
1972 F350 Flatbed
1979 F150
1983 F150
1989 Ranger 4x4 (project) supercharged 302,full size running gear, Street legal
1994 F150 350,000 Miles same Engine/Trans cold A/C
1995 Ranger 557CID Big Block FORD (MudTruck) 3 time Points Cham.
2002 F250 Superduty 125K an counting
And this is a Tractor site so I'll add the 1972 FORD 5000 with over 15,000 hour and still pulling it share of the yearly load.

Do you still want my opinion?

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
77simplicity

2006-01-25          123444

It seems like this is all just based on opinion. Both chevy ford and dodge will have problems sooner or later. If its mechanical of coarse its going to have problems doesn't matter what kind of car or truck you buy. But like i said before its everyones opinion and any way this is totally stupid to fight about. Some people have good experiances with for some have bad this is the same with chevy or dodge. It simply doesnt prove anything but no one is ever going to change my mind about chevy. Yes i would drive ford if i absolutely had too but i would drive dodge before i would drive ford. This is how i order my favorite vehicle brands #1 is chevy 2 is dodge 3 is ford but this is all based on my opinion too. I think you should buy what you think is good and dont be afraid to ask questions.
jeff ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-01-25          123445

My 98 F150 is still going strong with 215K miles. I've NEVER had it in the shop other than for maintanance (Oil, filters, brakes, tires). Oh yes, I did put a new serpentine belt on last week but only as a precaution. Other than those items, everything is original including the exhaust.
Dave ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
agriman

2006-01-25          123510

It's all in what you like really. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing. It's funny in a way I've been in the Ag business all my life an have own good/bad Equipment build by many different Manufactures. But when it comes to my vehicle there’s only one FORD.

You’ll have a hard time finding a bigger Ford man than I am. I’ve had Blue blood all my life. Never owned a Chevy, never seem the need to. I’ve heard they ride good but, I don’t buy a truck to ride good, I buy a truck to work with. Not sure if I could even drive a chevy. I’ve often wondered if the brake pedal is on the left or the right.

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-16          124644

Wouldn't you know it? A week after I post that glowing report above about my 98 F150 I have major problems. My alternator died. You'd think a guy would get at least 300K miles out of an original alternator. A replacement cost me $150. :(

Seriously, I would think an alternator would either charge or not charge. This one stopped charging above 3000 RPM. I'd notice the headlights dim when I was accelerating in the lower gears. Of course I continued to drive it. Then one day that point dropped to 2.5K RPM, then 2000 and then finally quit charging completely.
Dave ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-16          124656

I was suprised when it got to 3000rpm. ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-04-16          127773

Go with the Ford ! ....

ford versus chevy

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-16          127778

Sounds like the brushes finally wore out. At speed the springs could not hold them tight to the plates. I normally just take the altenator to the auto-electric shop and get it rebuilt. If the bearings were good you could have just added the brushes, but at that age it is good to rebuild the whole thing. This is problably what you did but have someone elses core. Your core sounds pretty good with near 200K. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login