Go Bottom Go Bottom

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-20          24413

Dang, single quote in the subject line strikes again and I can't reply. This subject is one everybody should be clear on. My tractor is covered under my homeowner policy, but the terms are much more liberal than mentioned. I have coverage for theft and 3rd party liability while on our two properties and transportation in between. There is no coverage for damage to property or the tractor done by an operator. However, the tractor and implements are written on a special rider to the policy. I suspect the 20hp limit is for coverage under the general policy, and I'd be surprised if coverage for most any tractor couldn't be included in a special rider. I might go shopping for another insurer if I couldn’t cover my tractor and implements under my homeowner policy. Yes, it's a very good thing to be sure about.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-02-20          24416

Tom, I, too, was curious about insurance coverage for my equipment and asked my agent for a reading. He was a bit taken back at first as I have a small business package in addition to my homeowner's policy. I pressed him because I still wanted to know about my homeowner's policy coverage. He checked, and to my surprise, learned that everything would not be covered while in transport or at someone else's property. As long as it was on our primary residence I had "every and any" occurrence covered at replacement cost, not pro-rated like cars and trucks. He said that if I didn't have my business policy I would have a hard time convincing the carrier that I wasn't using such "professional" equipment for an illegal side business if an accident or theft occurred while on the road or while at someone else's property. He said they would balk at payment because most homeowners (we aren't talking farm here) don't have such an extensive amount of equipment. Good thing I have the business policy because it protects me even while I'm at the inlaws or a friend's, and not just on the job. Good idea for everybody to check it out. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-20          24417

My homeowners policy wouldn't cover my tractor, 27hp. I go through State Farm. My brother in law is a catastrophic claims adjuster for Nationwide. He knows insurance inside out and agreed with my agent and my dealer. I now have an "inland marine" policy on the tractor. It's the most expensive policy, relative to the tractors value, that I own, but it covers almost everything. Fire, collision, theft, roll over, personal stupidity (an issue for a neophyte like me) It might be worth looking into for you guys, not based on the personal stupidity factor, that's just why I bought it, but based on degree of coverage. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-20          24421

My homeowners (Amica) covered my 35hp tractor and implements, but only as long as it is on my property and not doing any work for hire. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Donald

2001-02-20          24422

My State Farm Home Owners covers my TC29D & implements for anything, anywhere as long as I'm not making money with it. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-20          24425

Donald and Jeff,
I think you guys need to check what "anything" means. I am pretty certain that if you roll your tractor, it won't be covered. Likewise, collision is a question. I also doubt State Farm would give you replacement cost on the tractor in the event of a fire or theft, unless you have a clause stating that specifically. I checked on what was covered carefully, as we have 12K in titanium bicycles in our home, and they didn't need a rider, but my wife's wedding ring did. These tractors cost more than some cars, and I don't believe homeowners covers your car if it burns up in the garage, or is stolen. Your auto policy does. I was told this by my agent, and by the guy who gets to go out to the site and write the check for what's covered, and by my dealer who is pretty savy about this, that I needed an inland marine policy. I'm in Vermont, which is pretty good about making the insurance companies toe the line, but maybe your state is different. It's worth being sure. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2001-02-20          24427

Maybe I should do some checking....... When I bought my tractor, financed of course, the bank wanted proof of insurance on the tractor. My agent at State Farm told me it was covered under homeowners. That had got me to thinking, and I specifically asked about using it at a friends house as a favor. I was told I was covered there, and in transit as long as I wasn't profiting from it. They provided the bank, and a copy to me, a letter stating the tractor was covered fully by homeowners. The bank was happy with it, so I figured everything was peachy. We know how banks like to protect their investment.

I did not ask about acts of stupidity. I just kinda figure if I do something stupid that damages the tractor, I will pay for my lesson, kinda helps the learning process if you have to pay for it! ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-20          24431

Just got off the phone with my insurance company. Near as I can tell, Amica (in NY) covers my 35 hp tractor and implements for loss (fire, theft, vandalism, accident, etc.) as part of my homeowners without a special rider as long as the tractor is on my property, is not used on a highway, and is not used for hire. The relevent clause in the policy classifies it as a non-registered motor vehicle used to service the property. My homeowners liability coverage extends to this also. When I asked "what if I drive down the road to my father's property to do him a favor", they said the coverage was not so clear because NY has cracked down more on non-registered vehicle highway use, and they will have to further investigate this and get back to me. I also asked if the fact that my land is classified as agricultural (tree-farm) and that I derive income from farm activities impacts the coverage. They have to get back to me on implications of that also. Getting interesting. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
John Shade

2001-02-20          24437

My insuror set me up with a "Marine policy" to cover my tractor that covers fire, theft, collision (including damage to other persons or property) on my property or others. Currently, I have my tractor parked at our church in order to help with snow removal & it is covered there. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-20          24449

I'd keep that letter Craig. It's golden if anything happens, because the bank would argue for their money, and it might be cheaper for the insurance company to give in than argue they didn't mean it was covered in situation X. Since I earn no money from my property, and don't move my tractor, I wonder if maybe I should switch over to Amica like Jeff??? Still, I'm a big fan of being over insured. This way, I'll rest easy if my brother-in-law or somebody ever does borrows my toy. Some things you can never have too much of, insurance is one of them.

Todd ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Donald

2001-02-20          24452

New Holland Credit Co. was very particular about the insurance I had on my Boomer before they would finance it. State Farm provided them a statement, stating the tractor would be covered if ANY thing happened to it at ANY location, as long as it was for personal use (ie. Not for hire). ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-20          24453

Todd, I'm also a fan of being well-insured. This whole thread is what prompted me to call my insurance company, and the result will probably be that I get a rider or whatever to cover me and my tractor in the event of any uses I foresee (driving on the road, someone else's property, etc.). It will be interesting to see what Amica says I'm exactly covered for now. Also remember that the state you are in makes a difference with insurance. I've been with Amica for auto and homeowners for over 25 years back and forth in three states (including VT!) and the policy terms and coverage were different in each of the three states. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24535

My insurance company (Amica) got back to me on my tractor coverage questions. As I stated earlier, my tractor is covered under homeowners as long as it is being used or stored on my property and not when it is on a public road, even if that is to go between properties I own. It seems that NY state laws have changed and now I have to register my tractor for highway operation, even if it is for personal farm use and not for hire. Once I register the tractor, my homeowners won't cover it and I need to get some kind of motor vehicle policy, and then the tractor would be covered for liability and loss even if it was being used on someone else's property, as long as that use was not for hire. I'm waiting for a quote on that type of policy now. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Norm

2001-02-22          24544

JeffM, I am in NY too and went around and around trying to get the straight word on whether it is covered or not. There is a clause in the NYS policy that says something to the effect of 'equipment for personal use and maintenance of the residence that is not covered by DMV regulations'. The point of contention is, apparently, that no one will commit to what that means exactly. Some read it as long as the machine is not registered it is covered, some read it to mean that as long as the machine CAN be registered it is not covered because if you take it on the road it is governed by DMV regs. A riding lawn mower, for example, cannot be registered even if you wanted to. My agent recommended the first interpretation and dealing with it in court when the time comes, if necessary - just don't get someone hurt with it off your property or you'll be scr**ed. Let me know what you find out about registering it - DMV and insurance costs. That was the next step that I just never got around to. Another alternative is contractors' insurance but that is hellishly expensive if you aren't making money with the machine. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2001-02-22          24567

As you can read here, in NY, farm equipment is not a "motor vehicle" and as such does not require registration, insurance, inspection, or a drivers license.

125. Motor vehicles
Every vehicle operated or driven upon a public highway which is propelled
by any power other than muscular power, except (a) electrically-driven
mobility assistance devices operated or driven by a person with a
disability, (b) vehicles which run only upon rails or tracks, (c)
snowmobiles as defined in article forty-seven of this chapter, and (d) all
terrain vehicles as defined in article forty-eight-B of this chapter. For
the purposes of title four, the term motor vehicle shall exclude fire and
police vehicles other than ambulances. For the purposes of titles four and
five the term motor vehicles shall exclude farm type tractors and all
terrain type vehicles used exclusively for agricultural purposes, or for
snow plowing, other than for hire, farm equipment, including
self-propelled machines used exclusively in growing, harvesting or
handling farm produce, and self-propelled caterpillar or crawler-type
equipment while being operated on the contract site. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24568

Steve, thanks for more information. That sure sounds like the code I was used to here in NY. Is it up to date? The insurance person implied that the NY state code had changed on this recently. This covers farm use; I wonder if the insurance company is assuming industrial/excavation use instead because I have a backhoe and loader? Getting more interesting... ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-23          24576

Something I've learned to never expect is a definite answer from an insurance company. I understand that there really are no definite answers, because the resolution to claims potentially is through the courts. Court case are 'judged' on the basis of their individual merits, so definite rules can't be stated. However, I also understand that doubt in the minds of customers may cause them to buy more insurance, which is of course what insurance companies sell.

I'd keep this insurance stuff in mind though. I got a reminder the other day. I've been blowing most of the drive for some neighbours who have some health problems. I almost hooked their clothesline with my canopy. Stuff can happen real easy, and I need reminders. Another reminder is never drive off your neighbour's drive without knowing where their septic system is. Even a heavy compact could collapse a leech-field tile. Also, don't dig without knowing where septic, well, phone, electrical and gas lines are. Actually, I'm aware that I'm completely responsible for all damages of these types whether on or off my property. Only contractor insurance covers this stuff, which is mostly why it's so expensive.

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-23          24596

Got a quote from my insurance company. This is basically an auto policy on a tractor, not contractor's insurance. It is to cover the tractor on the highway and on other's property, though not for hire. The annual premiums are: $288 for the JD4400, $34 for the loader, $79 for the backhoe. This is for $1,000,000 liability coverage with either a $200 or $500 deductible for collision (accident) loss (can't remember which). Covers fire, theft, etc. The premium sounds high to me, but I think a lot of that is due to the million dollar liability. I'd probably be better off getting a umbrella liability policy and cover the tractor at a lower liability. Still don't think I need to register the tractor because of farm use, but I'll want the insurance if I'm doing favors for friends and relatives. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-02-23          24600

When I got my Kubota L3710 a year ago I went to my Texas Farmers agent for insurance. Texas FARMERS doesn't sell tractor insurance!
My agent found another company that would insure my tractor for $400 a year. Since I needed insurance I paid the $400 but this year I went shopping. Farm Bureau sold me the same protection for $83 a year, Germania quoted $86. I'm insured for damage or loss anywhere within 50 miles of the house, $250 deductible, no liability. You have to find an insurance company that's used to dealing with Ag equipment. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
joe

2001-02-23          24621

I'm looking at a 1987-1910 Ford 4w, with 405 hrs selling for $9200. What I would like to know is this a good deal, what implememnts that can be used on it. I would use it for moving fire wood,mowing ect. ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
john hunter

2001-02-23          24632

Although I may have the proper insurance to cover my tractor and trailer, I was reminded (1) that I needed the proper truck tag on my vehicle. For the weight of the tractor, trailer, and truck, I needed a commerical tag for the correct load ($107.00). (2) My regular truck insurance (non business) may not cover my truck while pulling my load if I am involved in an accident on my way to cut my brother's grass. This would be consider a job for pay. "Is there an end to this". ....

re homeowner insurance

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2001-02-25          24681

I too went through the insurance questions both prior to and after the purchase of a B2710 with FEL. The funniest part was the fact I just changed to an "estate" policy to cover a horse, loafing shed, fencing, liability related to the horse. I also asked about the tractor. On the estate policy if I used the tractor to mow, grade my drive, move heavy objects, clear brush, plow snow I WAS covered under the current policy as written. The funny part, get ready, if I used that same tractor to move horse manure from a pile to the garden I now needed a specific line item with a stated value for tractor coverage! $168 more per year to do "farm" related work. Further investigation lead to the discovery that since the electric fencer for the horse fence is inside my pole barn that it too needs a seperate line item and a stated value for coverage. $300(saved) later I too have the same letter that Donald has. I still LOL each time I think of that first agent qouting the policy to me. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login