Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-29          150886

I have an excavator bought use that has aux hyd circuit on it. The machine could have either dual acting circuit or single circuit per manual. The hoses on that circuit are two different sizes. There is no other cyl on the machine that uses two different size hoses. Does the different size hoses help indicate the type of circuit it could be. I suspect it is single acting circuit with the different size hoses but have never had anything with that type circuit. kt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-29          150891

Kenneth, if you have two different sized hoses to the remote, it's pretty likely that you have a single acting circuit. The smaller hose would be the pressure side, and the larger hose would be the return side.

On smaller excavators these were extremely common since they would be used only for things like hydraulic packers or demolition chisels to break up side walks or roadways.

It is however VERY easy to add a 6 port 2 way electric valve in there to give you a two way circuit or two.

Best of luck.

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-29          150896

It would seem I made a good decision not to think I could use that circuit for a thumb. kt

Again, thanks Murf. It only made sense with the two sizes that would be the set up. ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-29          150897

I must be missing something here--It doesn't make sense to have just one line going to the bucket area as an aux. circuit. Kenny says single-acting which would mean that pressure is released in a cylinder and its circuit but then has to rely on gravity, weight, or spring pressure to return the cylinder. I can't think of anything that uses just one line that would be used on a small excavator.

As far as size of lines go, on my regular flow 18-GPM skid steer bobcat the aux. lines are the same size. Eevn if it had hi-flow of 27GPM they use the same lines, but change the fittings. ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-29          150898

Where's Joel when I need 'em to keep me honest? ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-29          150899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 150891
On smaller excavators these were extremely common since they would be used only for things like hydraulic packers or demolition chisels to break up side walks or roadways.
Was'a'matter there Jeff'ry, that 45° heat gettin' to ya' now? ;)

If the attachment on the remotes is something like a packer which is basically an offset (out of balance) cam on a motor, it only needs continuous flow to work.

A thumb certainly could be used, as EW mentioned, provided a return spring was used to pull it back open, but you would still need another valve to hold or release the fluid back out of the cylinder when you stopped feeding pressure to it.

Best of luck. ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-29          150902

Murf, I was being rhetorical. What I was getting at was Kenny was mincing terms (again): single acting vs. single circuit, double circuit vs double acting. Kenny, a "single circuit" most could mean two things: like Murf says for a breaker, compactor (hydraulic motor that DOES NOT change direction) then it could be set up to run those types of accessories. However, if you CANNOT change direction in that particular circuit (either in/out, left/right, forward/backward) then you CANNOT use an auger, thumb, directional boring head, etc.

To me, it sounds like if you have a single circuit that has one line bigger than the other, like Murf said, that is a return line (due to heat expansion), it sounds like it is not reversable direction-wise. But anything is possible.

Now, if you have a double-circuit that would indicate to me that the machine is set up for something like a forestry harvesting head that has a grapple WITH a power-rotating head that requires a reversable direction for both parts of the accessory.

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-29          150905

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 150902
However, if you CANNOT change direction in that particular circuit (either in/out, left/right, forward/backward) then you CANNOT use an auger, thumb, directional boring head, etc.

Come on now, don't leave us in suspense....... ;)

Now here's where ya' lost me. Why couldn't you run an auger or DBH? You wouldn't have reverse, but my PTO doesn't either, and it runs a PHD just fine. I agree, you would need more plumbing to make a thumb work, but just a simple 2 port 1 way valve would be all that's needed as long as you had a spring return or something to open it back up.

I know what you meant BTW, I was just pullin' yer leg there ol' son.

Best of luck.

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-29          150906

Son? SON?
Murf we're the same age!

Or maybe you were calling me that 'cause I'm sooo bright? ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-29          150907

Apparently you didn't spend enough time in the south there Jef'ry.....

"Ol Son" is a southern euphemism that implies kinship.

Sort of the southern slang version of 'older brother'.

Of course, you ARE a little older than me, so "Ol son" is more than fitting. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-29          150912

Well EW, I could be dummer than a pile of yankee horse fertlizer on the wording but a person with a brain understood and that was all I needed. :)

Murf, must be the heat, he still does not have the sun screen installed. (Lord please never let me forget the lace suggestion someone made for him.)

EW, thank you for allowing opportunity to have a good laugh at your expense. You have had plenty at mine and will again. kt

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-29          150918

I'm not sure about that public education system over yonder on the other side of the big river now.

Jeff seems like such a smart fella too. ;)

I guess somewhere along the way he missed his class in Americana.

As Charlie Daniels immortalized in his classic song 'The Devil went down to Georgia';

"The Devil opened up his case and he said, "I'll start this show. And fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow. And he pulled the bow across the strings and it made an evil hiss. Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded somethin' like this:

**Fiddle interlude**

When the Devil finished, Johnny said, "Well, you're pretty good, OLD SON, but sit down in that chair right there and let me show you how it's done."

**Chorus**

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat, And he laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet. Johnny said, "Devil, just come on back if you ever want to try again. Cause I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been." ".

Kenneth, didn't you fellas teach him anything down there? ;)

Best of luck. ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-29          150920

Murf, most say you can't teach an ole dog. Bout as good as I can explain it. Any craftsman does have to have raw materials.

Oh, come on EW, give me a hug (not really, just read that line somewhere). kt ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-29          150921

Speaking of Georgia, I think SG was part of his site name, have I just missed him or has anyone seen him here in a while? kt ....

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-29          150923

Kenneth, I believe you are talking about SG8NUC.

He works on the nuke sub's down at the basin on the St. Mary's river.

He hasn't been around since mid-October.

Best of luck.

Hyd hose size

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2008-06-03          154193

Reviewing some old post, thanks for the inquire, I have been out the country for a while due to some strategic moves by the navy. All is back on line for the time being. Also had two deaths in the Family. Life moves on, glad to see everyone is doing fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login