Go Bottom Go Bottom

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-12          129283

May have to move boys. New owners says you move to SW Michigan (Benton Harbor/St. Joseph area). So I may have to move. Anyone on here from that area that could render an opinion? Talk about what to look for, what not to look for?

If we go (wife, kid), the tractor is going too. I don't want to end up in a suburb, but if I do, I'm going to have the biggest lawnmower in town with the 72" mmm. Sigh... good opportunity but moving just plain sucks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-12          129285

I have been in that area and is it fairly nice, a bit flat for my tastes. I am not sure what land prices are like. They are fairly reasonable in northern Indiana, but I am not sure in that area.
I know what you mean about moving. I am looking at a position in Toronto next week. It is right down town at U of T so open land is a scare, for about 60 miles in all directions. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-12          129287

Iowafun
Were/are you a Maytag employee from the Newton area?

Southwestern Michigan is doing much better than other areas of the State with regard to employment, etc. On our East side, lots of (to many) homes are for sale. Waterfront property is high anywhere in the State.

You should be able to find some property with nice rolling hills out in the country. You don't want to live directly in Benton Harbor from what I'm told.

You will be close to Sand Dunes along the Lake Michigan shoreline and not far from PawPaw wineries. I like Michigan! Our state has some beautiful areas but is mostly flat.

You should be able to find some property listings online by region or from national realtors. At google under "Southwestern Michigan Real Estate" you can find quite a listing. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-12          129289

Michiganfun, (kidding!) congatulations, here's your opportunity....

"But, Honey, we NEED this much land, and I already have the tractor!" ROFLMAO .....

Eric, if you need any help with the looking drop me a note, or if you're coming up, let me know, I know all the places with extra cold beer. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
ksmmoto

2006-05-12          129291

I have been down in that area at Red Bud Track & Trail for Motocross. Great country, lots of vineyards. Nice rolling hills. Soil is clay. I think it must be milder winters there than here in Central Michigan, near Mt. Pleasant.

My cousin lives down there and she says not to live in town either. You won't be far from South Bend or La Porte Indiana. Lake Michigan is great, lots of high sand dunes. Don't buy too close to the lake without checking about erosion, when I was there several years ago several houses washed into Lake Michigan from the high banks on the south side of Benton Harbor.

ksmmoto ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-12          129294

I'm a native of SE Mich. and a contractor. And guess where I have been working for the past 7 months---Mississippi. And I can't tell you how many fellow Michiganders I have met down here working al for the same reason. There is just not enough work there. The economy is different on the west shore than the east for sure but Michigan's economy in general is the worst in the nation (google Michigan State of the economy). There is no predicted hope for a rebound---if anything it will get much worse. And the taxes are by far the worst in the nation (we have many on the welfare roles and Benton Harbor has its share too). And high union wages in our area drive high housing costs. And if you're into snow you'll love it---the lake-effect snow is measured in feet. Seriously think my friend about moving there. By the way I have no plans on moving back and yet I have my base operations still there. (I'm not living the high life down here by any means---in a 29' camper that went through the hurricane flooded in 33' of water)---but it beats not having much work back home.

And yooperpete, lower Michigan is not mostly flat and that's coming from a mislabled "flatlander" as you "UP-ers, eh?" like to call us. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-14          129329

Thanks guys. Yoop - I is/was a Maytag'er. I left clues over the years, but try to keep my employers name out of the conversation so my opinions don't reflectback on them. Just my personnal choice.

I've been out there once last week and there is no way I'm living in Benton Harbor. I'm not stupid. But the surrounding communities look nice. I didn't know if there was anything weird I needed to worry about. Some areas have special issues reagrding land, homes, people, etc that you don't know about but the locals do. So I asked.

Thinking hard about it. But no matter the decision, someone has to lose a job. Either me or my wife. So it's not an easy decision to make. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-14          129331

Not sure what your wife does but in some careers it is often much easier for women to find a job. In High Tech some companies are desperate to find female engineers. When we moved to the pacific northwest it was much easier for my wife to find a job for this reason. Too bad about Benton Harbor. I have fond memories of it as the place where Heathkit was located. I loved Heathkit back in the day. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-15          129371

Iowafun:
I didn't put things together about your employment until this post. I've done some tooling work for them a few years ago when they set up the Reynosa plant.

Switching jobs is bad enough, but relocation is much more difficult to think through. It is a tough decision! Michigan does have the worst economy in the States, but some of us just keep hanging in there. So much of our State's employment comes/came from auto factories indirectly. Since few people want American made anything it is tough.

If you are with a good employer it shouldn't matter. If your wive is in the heathcare field you should be good to go. If she is a teacher, that is a problem since most school districts are downsizing. Southwestern Michigan may be different. You don't want to relocate here and then get laid off.

If you don't accept the move, what will you do? Are jobs plentiful in your area at the same pay scale?

Flat land is a relative term. Where I live it is totally flat. People from Colorado would consider the rolling hills of SW Michigan flat. They also consider our ski hills in NW Michigan hills or bumps.

If you are into outdoor activities, we have it all. Not to many bugs and poisonous snakes and no hurricanes,floods or gators. An occasional Tornado rips through but that is also seldom. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-15          129381

My wife is an engineer and accounts for about 50% of our income. I left engineering about 1.5 years ago. So as you can imagine, one of us losing a job has an impact. We're still evaluating and will just have to see. I'm within 30 miles of Des Moines, so I should be able to find a job if I stay here.

We'll go to Michigan next week and check it out. After that, they'll be wanting a decision. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
beagle

2006-05-15          129409

We're in the mid-Michigan area, and have been here for a long time. Michigan went through the same depression in the early eighties, but bounced back. With some effort, it will be back again.

The south-west area has quite a bit to offer, especially a lower cost of living than south-east Michigan. The area west of Grand Rapids up through Ludington is wine country, with a lot of nice rolling terrain ( good tractor land ). The Lake Michigan shoreline is ussually busy in the summer with tourist and fisherman, but things have been slow lately.

We like it here, although we work all over the country to kkep the business going. There is hope for the next wave of technology growthe here, as you can see happening in the Ann Arbor area. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan may be building their plants in the south, but they are building maojor research and developement centers in Michigan. The economy is changing from being traditionally manafacturing based to more technology based research and development. That will take some time.

By the way, want to buy a Northern Michigan waterfront vacation home? Let us know......Welcome to Michigan, we still have a lot to offer. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-16          129415

beagle I was in my late teens when the 1980 Recession hit, so I lived it. A "bounce back" errrr? There is no evidence there will be a turn around in Michigan's economy. The only thing that kept SE Mich. from totally tanking the past 7 years was (past tense) the new housing market (which I was a part of as a contractor)---and that's not because there was a demand for housing---there was a demand for profit by flipping. Housing prices have actually dropped in the past year. Having a house on the market for a year is not uncommon. Back in the '80 the Big-3 had something aspire to as far improving quality and that was what spurred the growth. In the '90' we had tpo wrack our creative brains to offer "niche market" cars to get the car market going and eventually that didn't work. An it has been uphill all the way. The Big 3 used to have high- paying engineering jobs (of which I was also a part of), they now hire Indian and other ethnics at much lower costs. And CAD designers I worked with were pulling in $50-$70 an hour PLUS 20 hours overtime a week recently saw those jobs go overseas to India. Near my home there is a small island populated by about 15,000 well-heeled auto designers and engineers, doctors, lawyers and business owners and the like (think something like Long Island, New York). Two years ago there were 250 homes for sale and 210 that were in foreclosure. 7 years ago 99% of business income from contracting came from there. Today and going back as far as three years years ago 0% contributes to my income. Things are so bad that myself and 10 other contractors on the brink of bankruptcy ended up going to Mississipi to work cleaning up the hurricane mess (I'm still here 7 months later). Since I have been here I have gotten only three calls for work back home, and they were small $500 jobs. Bottom line is this isn't the '80's or '90's---the world market is totally different this time around. I don't see a come back for Michigan. You may in fact see a reprint of a 1980's bumper sticker that read,

"The last one out of Michigan, please turn out the light" ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
beagle

2006-05-16          129421

I am just a hard headed Italian business owner. Maybe not intelligent enough to turn tail, but we are actually trying to expand our business in Michigan. We have a new facility we are building in the Mid-Michigan area, and want to try to help ourselves by helping the people of the state.

Yep, things are as different now as they are the same as the 80's. The prospect for improvement can only come from the people of Michigan. The cure will not be the same as the 80's, because as you point out, the disease is different. But.......we remain convinced there is a cure, and nobody will find it for us.

Just one last thought, the germ that attacked the Michigan economy will spread. There isn't anything in Michigan that made us the only ones vulnerable, it just showed up here first because of the economic basis of the state. This economic disease will effect everyone eventually, until a cure is found. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-16          129423

Ditto.

I couldn't tell you how many times, but I wish I had a dollar for each time, I heard "If you are in the golf course business and want your business to grow and prosper, you HAVE to move it to Florida.".

Well, being a hard-headed Irishman, I stayed in Ontario, the US dollar climbed against the Cannuckistan buck and guess what? The Florida boys couldn't touch my prices.

The fact that we were making a better end product sure didn't hurt any either mind you.

It's no different anywhere else, if you have a good product at a good price, and offer great customer service, you will have work, and when word spreads you will have lots of it!

To me, a place where everybody says 'it's dead there' means a place where I will find very little competition and a great opportunity.

Best of luck. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-16          129428

I don't buy the argument you can grow your own economy and it starts in your own backyard. If jobs evaporate which means dollars evaporate just where does the money come from to buy or use your goods and services? We in the Detroit area used to say that the price of cars is getting so high that only those who make them will only be the ones to afford them---even then that was incorrect---now auto workers face pay reductions so it's getting more difficult for even them to buy them. Also, to say that locals can cause their local economy to grow defies logic in every sense. If my neighbor sells me a product for a dollar that he bought for 50 cents, it could be said he made a 50 cent profit. So if he buys a product from me at the same profit, niether one of us has gotten anywhere. Add to that someone in another state offers the same product for less money and I can't beat that price, I go out of business.

Here's an example of what happened a few years ago when only autoworkers lost their jobs and got severence pay, this is the impact it has had on our local ecomomy: the laid off guys took their severence pay, unemployment pay and some savings and bought all new equipment such as contracting, or snow plowing, or lawn cutting and got into the market and started charging half the going rate. But they didn't care since they were drawing benefits for 6 months or more regardless if they made a dime. This sprialled down the prices on those services wildly and so swiftly that long-established companies went belly up because they had equipment and overhead to pay for based n the old prices. So then those companies had to lay off thier employees--and every aspect of other businesses were affected. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-16          129431

Earthworks:
That is what is going on with the entire country. I can get anything cheaper outside of the US. Too many people are selling the same thing, so everyone puts stuff on sale. Today, no one purchases anything unless it is on sale. A continual downward spiral is the result. A local economy is built on you doing something for someone, you then purchase something from another. I feel that America is large enough that we could say the heck with the rest of the world. That, however, is too late since almost everything is overseas. People won't hold out!

I don't know the answer. Just feel that the future is dismal for everyone in developed countries until the rest of the world reaches our standard of living. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-16          129432

Geez, you guys are making me paranoid to consider moving to SW Michigan. Yikes! ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-16          129433

I forgot to add the punch line - This is no time to be sober! ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-16          129435

I'm staying here in Michigan and am learning to evolve my business. I've always been told that you need to progress otherwise you are regressing.

There are lots of companies in Michigan doing just fine. It may, however, be difficult for your wife to find work. Don't know her field of engineering. You should be able to search job listings on the web.

A friend of mine moved from California to Flordia after getting tired of the cost of living, the ratrace, commute and job availability out there. He has been in Florida several months and hasn't found the right job yet. He is trying to get an outside sales position in some sort of manufacturing type of environment. The pay just isn't there like he thought. Too many younger people offering to do the job for less. Employers go for the low pay inexperienced people. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-16          129438

IOWAFUN:
An internet news agency for Michigan papers "mlive.com" has posted that Whirlpool is added up to 400 jobs in SW Michigan. Can you get your wife hired there also? ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-16          129445

Iowafun,

I worked for a large company that went the way of your's. Said this is home and home is where I want to be. Bit a bullet and made career change and the Lord blessed. You may find opportunity where you are not looking or it may be Benton Harbor.

When your company was purchased they closed a plant within 60 miles of me. Know the new owners well, they have great products. Only brand in my house.

I do wish you well. It is not easy. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-05-16          129449

IOWAFUN:

Good web site www.donhr.navy.mil the navy is looking for technical people. Tell your wife to get on line and summit her resume at the above site. She can go world wide or state side. The navy has jobs all over the US not just on the coast. ....

Link:   https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2006-05-16          129461

I have lived in the Grand Rapids,MI. area all my life. This whole area is called West Michigan. True, a lot of manufacturing jobs have left but there are still a lot around. They are more technical now, meaning the avarage worker must know about computer controlled equipment. Just when I think it is getting hopeless here because of another plant closing, I read about another company expanding. Economies always change, and we have some smart people here who can get it done. As for land prices, I just saw some 10 acre parcels going for 49k. Oh, and did I mention we have water, lots of it. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-17          129484

I've doing lots of data collection on economy and talking to recruiters to understand the job market for my wife in that area. We'll just have to see how it all falls out when we summarize the data. It's not an easy decision to make.

On one hand, it may be the right time to make a break and move to a more ideal location for our families. We have a trip to Michigan set up for next week. After that, it's decision time. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
ksmmoto

2006-05-17          129501

The automotive crunch is hitting southern Michigan the hardest. I live in Central Michigan, Middle of the Mitt, near Mt. Pleasant and we have never had the kind of economy that southern Michigan has. So when you don't have it, you can't lose it!

Central Michigan is doing real well right now, very large casino, new stores and manufacturing coming in. Lot less hassle with zoning than the larger cities. Also two large universities and several community colleges close by. Some of the new technology's coming in are fuel research and ethanol production and high tech information.

Another advantage is not many unions at all left around here, almost all union shops and plants have closed. Lots of Michigan manufacturing went to the south in the 80's and 90's due to unions and the winter heating expense.

Michigan has two natural problems, it is a peninsula and it is too @#!%$#@! cold in the winter. The peninsula is why all the heavy manufacturing is in the south, just too expensive to ship raw materials in and finish goods out. Not even many railroads at all north of Lansing any more.

The cold winters are not my favorite at all, but they do keep Michigan from overcrowding and still land prices are low compared to the coasts. Minnesota and the Dakota's are colder as the great lakes do help, but four months of less than 32 degrees is still too long.

I think Michigan will do just fine. When the economy was bad in the 80's enough people went to the south that there was more opportunities for those that stayed. Seems to be happening again.

ksmmoto

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
BungeeII
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-20          129615

Years ago 60 minutes had a report about st joe/benton harbor. There is a bridge that separates the 2 communities and the title of the spot had something to do with a bridge in it. Anyhow, I couldn't find a reference of that article to post, so I linked another one that contains much the same info.

If you like the outdoors, you'll like Michigan. Lake Michigan offers fantastic fishing from Indiana to Traverse City. There's land to buy out there (SW Michigan, not Lake Michigan, ha ha) and room room to roam. You'll find something that suits you, I'm sure. ....

Link:   St Joe / Benton Harbor segregation

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-30          130047

Update - Not sure what is happening yet. I met with the big guy today and told him weher we are at with the decision process. Basically, doing it on one income at the $ offered won't cut it. The economy is too good everywhere else in the country. The local economy is too poor to assume my wife will find something close in pay to what she has now in a reasonable time frame. So no decision yet, but the ball is in their court so to speak. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-30          130051

Some recent Michigan newspaper articles indicated that the Western side of the State is booming. Some of my automotive contacts on this side of the State are moving to that area getting aerospace jobs.

Hope the best for you and the Mrs. whichever decision you choose! ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-30          130053

iowafun,

Take your experience and develope a washer and dryer for CUTs that will not short circuit them. There is a need based upon threads here.

Very serious, have you taken what you were/are doing and thought about it in relationship to CUT's and their owners and a possible need?

GD, GB ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-31          130163

I recently teamed up with a residential building contractor from SE Mich. 10 miles north of Detroit who uprooted his 7 crews and moved them to the Miss. Gulf Coast. He lives and works in the second richest county in Mich. Nearly all of his employees and families with small children are relocating down here permanently soley because of the state of the bad Mich. economy. And nearly all have had their homes for sale for some time, but no one wants them because of all the job losses. He said about a few weeks ago, a major engineering and design shop of about 300 just a year ago (where the employees are leased to the Big 3 as "temps" or "jobbies"---of which I was a "temp" at one co. for 10 years!) were notified that there were going to be layoffs totalling 240 by the end that week. The remaining 60 were told to find jobs as they were closing the business by the end of the month. This is the norm. And it will continue to get worse. Seven yaers ago I was lucky to have missed approx. 40-plus layoffs at one company in the ten years I was there. When Detroit sneezes the rest of Michigan gets a cold. Last one out please turn out the lights. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-01          130205

There appears to be opportunities for my wife in Kalamazoo. So we are pursuing those at this time. We haven't decided yet, but know we'll have to make a formal declaration soon.

As for me, I've been a parts guy for the last 19 months. Loved it. I'd love to work on CUT's or larger stuff. I may see if I can back on with Vermeer. I could do that drive daily. Would be long, but doable. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-20          131100

Update - I accepted the job today. But it's far from ideal. I feel like I bet the family farm on a 3-leg horse named "Pokey."

Sigh... If life was easy we'd all be rich. I don't want a small house with tiny yard. I'm only $2500 from having the tractor paid for!! ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-20          131102

Are you taking the gophers with you? ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-20          131104

SW Michigan fun,

I don't know about 21 acres, but would you be able to get a 3-5 acre property if you're willing to commute a bit longer? I guarantee you, it'd come with gophers and all - won't miss a beat. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-20          131109

If we can find a good job for my wife (an engineer) then we can get acreage. If not, then our options are limited. So we'll be trying hard to get her a job.

Go Pokey! ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-20          131115

Happened to notice last week at least two different "it is better in Mich." commercials telling of two different business and their success in Mich. One makes solar cells and the other not sure.

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-28          131519

Iowafun,

Notice the other day abbreviation for you would be "IF" so guess you new one will be different and I will leave that alone.

I think I finaly understand your move and the real sadness you have...you will be leaving 20 plus acres...right new house....gophers fiedls and yard....mice and snakes in house....Just what does Mich. have to offer compared to all this? Beside no tractor rides..

Seriously you ought to consider posted where you will be moving to, NOT THE EXACT PHYSICAL ADDRESS unless you want more than gophers and let the TP people give you pointers who live around there on who will loan or where to buy and such...

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-28          131521

Well, I'm seeing a bad trend here in my moves. I had 80 acres in Minnesota. Then after 2 years I got 20 acres in Iowa. Now I'm facing less in Michigan. Wrong direction!! We'll survive and be ok. Any dowgrading would be temporary (2 years or less I hope). Only time will tell.

Once all kids are born, raised and kicked out, all I'll need is a small house on lots of land with a large shop. Just gotta keep that vision in mind. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-29          131524

Ahh, lots of land!!! me want some.

Based on your history of 4-fold reductions in property size, you're bound to get a 5 ac. plot this time around. If that's what you have to put up with for the next couple of years until you expand again, it ain't too bad. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-29          131528

Iowa: How do school, property taxes and special a$$e$$ment$ (for drainage, new water, gas or sewer installs---that you may not even tie into, local road improvements, etc.) compare to back home?

The 2.3 acres I have options on in SE Mich (if I do come back from Miss.), is part of a 13 acre parcel that has a $5000-a-year "special assessment" for 3 years for "drainage" the county never fixed since the 1800's. And this parcel is on a private road, has 2,000 feet of frontage---and the county won't even do ANY drainage because it is private. I ended up digging his ditch for him and diverting it to two ponds.

For grins and giggles, that 13 acre parcel sold for in 1996 for $47,000. Last year 3 acres of it was valued at $85,000 since it only has electric (no available sewer or water), if it did have all three it would be over $100,000. He's letting my buddy have it for $65,000 since he/we have done work on his home at a discount. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-06-29          131530

Iowafun:
You seem to be approaching this with the wrong frame of mind. This can be a geat adventure!!!

Michigan is a beautiful State with hunting, fishing, skiing, biking, hiking, swimming, boating, gardening and tractoring to mention a few. We have more fresh water with the Great Lakes than any other State. Kalamazoo is a beautiful town and home of Western Michigan University (I graduated from there).

There are some good deals going on land and homes because of some business conditions. My business and others are thrieving here. That part of the State has beautiful rolling hills, sand dunes along the shoreline, vineyards in PawPaw where most of Welches' grape juice comes from and lots, lots more. There are also apple and peach orchards there. Further up North in the Traverse City area is where Cherries are grown.

You will want to stay away from the inner city sections of Benton Harbor and St. Jo. They have race problems there and I will leave it at that. The surrounding area is nice.

You should be able to log on line and pickup some local points and find out what is going on in surrounding areas. The site, mlive.com shows many affiliated news papers like the Kalamazoo Gazette, Jackson, Muskegon and Grand Rapids papers for example. Most Michigan people are friendly, especially country folk. You should be able to quickly pick-up on where to buy stuff. In Kazoo, we always went to Hoekstra's meat market.

Almost forgot, we also have lots of Injun casinos. You may also want to be a member of the Michigan United Conservation Club. You can view it at mucc.org. It has a monthly publication that features hunting and fishing. Walleye, Salmon and Steelhead fishing while you can also hunt for deer, elk, bear and lots of small game and varmints like fox and coyotes. We have woodchucks instead of gophers.

Like you can make as much as you want out of this move. Positive attutide!!!! ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-29          131532

yooper: You oughtta work for the Gov's propaganda machine. (I'm jis' joking). Speaking of that, what ever happened to "Yes! Michigan" back two recessions ago? ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-29          131539

My issue isn't so much with Michigan, heck, it's really nice over there and we'd be quite happy. My biggest issue is with the position I was offered and the fewer opportunites for my wife as compared to other areas of the country. Those items are the biggest stress drivers right now.

I would love to live by Lake Michigan with it's fishing, beaches, hiking, etc. We were even asking people if there area local areas that are most likely to get hit by lake effect snow so we could target home buying to the areas with greatest potential for snow.

Michigan is fine. It's the little details that consume much of your time during the week that are the problem. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-29          131540

IF and YP,

Reading your last post each and then EW, IF, maybe you ought to talk with Iowa's tourism dept. You might be the spokesperson they want and not need to move! LOL

IF, you want the snow? Don't know much about Mich. but be careful what you ask for. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-29          131544

KT's right about snow. That coast of Mich. gets blasted with lake-effect snow coming off Lake Mich. Why would you want snow that deep---we're talking sometimes FEET in a less than a day! You can't work, shop or even get out of your driveway! Conversely, since I plow(ed) snow for a living I was even prepared to drive the 4 hours (under good conditions) to plow snow there since we haven't had any real snow in years. But it pays a fraction of rates back home, so it wouldn't be worth it. (My fellow contractor buddies said they plowed only 3 times total this past winter) ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-29          131546

Earthwrks,

I have a friend who's sister lives on the UP. I have a picture of his Tacoma pickup in their yard one Thanksgiving and you can't tell what it is. It was just a dusting they told him.

Here it would have been worse than a hurricane (Cat II). ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-29          131547

"(My fellow contractor buddies said they plowed only 3 times total this past winter)"

It wasn't much different here either.......

Two words "Annual Contrats" .......

Let it (not) snow, let it (not) snow .... La-la-lal-ala...

Best of luck. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-30          131584

My wife and I like snow. My dad and I used to go snowmobiling in the moutains when we lived in Idaho. So we could get 18+" in one shot. Rare but could and did happen.

I don't mind clearing snow now that I have the right equipment (CUT). It's when you have to shovel every friggin' inch of snow that sucks. Now snow is an excuse to get on the tractor. I just dress for the conditions which usually includes a helmet to keep the wind out of my face and off my head. Heck, I usually come in with a sweaty head.

Awhile back, I had been looking for jobs in Buffalo, NY due to their annual snow fall. We like snow and we don't mind the cold. Wife is from Fargo and I lived 10 miles from Canada in Minnesota. So going weeks with temps below 0 F is no big deal. You dress for it.

As for dressing for cold, that's one problem in Iowa. Parking lots are far away and they demand you wear slacks. So yeah you freeze your jewels off when walking in. We didn't wear slacks up in northern Minnesota and the parking lots weren't as far away. So you didn't freeze the jewels. You dress for the weather. We also waore warm coats, not the fashion jokes you see around here in winter. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-19          133471

Ok, here's the latest information:

I'm not moving to Michigan!!

I don't have a new job yet. But something just wasn't right with the situation. Both my wife's and my subconscious or whatever was screaming don't go. So we finally decided to listen and not go. I told them this week.

Now I need a job... I'm still employed. For now... ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-19          133475

IOWA: SO you listened to your Women's Intuition, huh? (we Men aren't suppose to have intuition :0 )

(Joking now) I was hoping you were moving there then I could buy your place below market since the jobs are drying up.

Seriously though, I had to sell my Case trencher (a 6,000lb. one) to pay some bills. The guy who bought it was from Iowa. He made the observation that as soon as he hit crossed the Mich. state line it seemed like everthing was for sale in people's yards. Yup that's what it's come to.

Have you considered Wisconsin? There are soooo many Ag, farm and landscape equipment mfg's. there.

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-19          133498

Earthwrks - I was in Milwaukee Friday for an interview! Originally form there so my mom would love for us to move back so she can be around her granddaughter more. I've done 3 interviews in the last 7 days and all are solid prospects. I just need an offer. One is with a large Ag firm that makes people green with envy.

Lots of opportunities around here, and all along the I-94 corridor from Milwaukee to Fargo. I should be able to find something that I like. ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-19          133500

Iowa, it's always a smart move to listen to your gut. Especially when the wifely intuition agrees with it. Good luck in your job hunt and if you turn green be sure to pass on your discount :) ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-19          133507

Since the wife works for green, I am familiar with their discount. Unfortunately, it stops at the 4100 series and new equivalent. So my 4310 had no discount. Bummer.

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-19          133512

Iowafun
LOL, its a trap! dont come here! I am leaving as soon as possible! If your looking for snow? you are IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!!! Dont listen to any old stories about OUR Lake effect snow in WIS. Its non-existent the last 15 years. I live 1.5 miles off the Lake. I am also 1.5 miles from Ill. IT SUCKS HERE! (LOL) Things to do??? Hmmm I KNOW!!! Drive up north!
In my area you either drink in bars or stay at home! There is NOTHING more to do! If you go to a highschool game you may get wanded for a gun! See, here in South East Wi, we have big city problems with out the big city.
If you live around Milw, your either in the ghetto or your going to pay 90K for an acre lot or MORE!(then add water a sewer)
I have a suggestion for you. Move as close to the fox valley area in my state as you can. Check out land prices around the town of "berlin" (NOT "NEW BERLIN") I was there last month buying bear bait and its a very nice (secluded) place jut a short drive from large companies.
HINT: Stay away Milw. or anything south what you make in increased money you will burn up in fuel driving from your suburban house to work and not to mention our taxes (the whole tax picture) are huge!
IF you do move here"? Switch your plates right away so I dont CUSS you out of staters out on the roads! LOL ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-20          133517

BROKEN: Did you buy a skid steer yet? ....

SW Michigan Relocation

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-20          133521

Broken - Relax, I know the housing prices around Milw are obscene. I don't have a job offer yet. I have a phone interview with a firm located up around Minauqua (SP?) early this coming week. Not as ideal of a job, but much more ideal of a location in Wisconsin.

I'm not sweating moving yet since no reaosn to worry until I get actual offers in hand.

Besides, I'm working on getting over this sinus/fever thing the kid and wife gave me. Fun...

Oh yeah, I'm well aware the taxes in WI are much worse than Iowa. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login