Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buying that Perfect Small Farm

View my Photos
Dreamer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-19          34717

A few years ago I was talking with my brother on a long drive, and I told him I had this vision, of getting out of the 9-5 as I was in my early 50's. I had this picture of buying a place with a nice house on 50 to 200 acres of land with a gentle contour to it, but not flat like in Indiana.

Anyway, the picture continues... Property taxes low, schools good (got little ones in Kindergarten and low grades still). Rent out some of the land for haying etc.

And on it goes.

My wife and I still would like to do this. The question is where. We are in the midatlantic area and when we drive around it seems too crowded. too expensive for the dream.

Does anyone have a place like this in North america they have found to fit this bill????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bojo

2002-01-20          34806

Dreamer, you ask much, but if you are willing to work hard and pay attention to details, you will receive. Only you can decide the "where" question of your farm, as anywhere can be the right place if it meets your goals and objectives. First off, don't limit yourself to listed properties. Seek ground that meets your objectives, period. If the propertyt is listed with a real estate broker, then you must compete with everyone else in the market. If not, then do your homework on the property in question and write the landowner(s) a decent letter stating your objectives. State in the letter that if they are willing to consider selling, you are willing to do all of the ground work necessary to close a deal satisfactory to both parties. Since you are initiating the matter, you must be willing to do the necessary legal work and basically make it as easy as possible for them. If a dialogue opens with the landowner, do the following: Offer to pay for the legal survey; state that you will arrange your own financing and that you will pay for all costs like title search fees, etc.; indicate that you will write a buy/sell (purchase) agreemen with the landowner and that they (the landowner) may select a lawyer of their own choosing to review the agreement, and then offer to pay for their lawyer's services. And don't forget to mention that since no realtor is involved, the landowner has no commission to pay the real estate broker. This offers the landowner the easiest way to sell their land, and offers you the opportunity to buy what you want. No matter how you buy the farm here are things to consider for the perfect farm: Are the soils good? (go to your local USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service office and get the soil information, it's free and will tell you everything from home site development potential to crop yield data); Check the neighbors for local well depths and water purity; Where is the nearest 3-phase power if needed (for irrigation pumps if in such climates); Close to a town of your liking? Limited traffic on the roads surrounding the property? Ask about adjacent landowner intentions (any new pig farms or dairies planned?) Is the area in a zoned "impact area" (protected from certain developments like subdivisions, etc.); Can the original property be "split" to the acreage desired for your farm? (a local planning & zoning question)? In a flood zone? Can you build there? Enough soil depth and type for a septic drain field? Ask these questions and more, and you will find your perfect farm. Sound like a lot of work? It is, but consider this: If you do the work, it gets done your way, which is the right way. Leave it to somebody else, and you are bound by their objectives and their homework. Do your homework now, and have the place for the rest of your life with no regrets. Else just settle for less, and live accordingly. One thing about a farm done right, you will have a lifetime of what my wife and I call "Farm Stories"--- the stories we can't wait to tell each other about every day: "Saw mama wood duck with 12 babies at Duck Beach today"; "Saw 50 quail down at the Corn Corner this morning"; "Saw a doe with 2 fawns at Goose Point", etc. Good luck in your search for Farm Stories. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-21          34814

Probably plenty properties around here. However, I can't exactly say where here is since we've been subjected to market value property tax assessment.

A couple of comments about buying rural land: Maybe it's just around here, but first thing is to check if the property has a residential occupancy permit and was used as a principal residence. There are a fair number of folks around here that kept cottages while they still were in the city and intended to retire to their cottages—at cottage around here can include a workable farm or timber stand. The properties were classed as recreational use. A fair number received some rude shocks when they wanted to convert recreational to residential use. The structures had to come up to current codes, and that meant doing things like converting 4" walls to 6" walls. Some properties were too small for a septic system and dug well, and drilled walls had to be put in. Some properties couldn't have septic systems at all.

Second thing is to have an environmental inspection done before committing to buy. There's no insurance coverage for existing environmental hazards. Cleanups can be required and can be expensive. All sorts of things happen to rural properties that may need attention and may not be apparent to typical buyers. For example, we inherited 400-gallons of used oil and an old car used as a septic system along with our camp.

View my Photos
Still Dreaming

2002-01-22          34842

Wow you guys have given me so many good thoughts on the land acquisition subject. You have also brought me back to the reality of the many issues involved in land purchase.

One Of the guys on the board "Paul Fox" posted some pix of his Octagonal shed under the Home building tab and I looked at the pix he had at the root of his sight. He calls his farm "Someday Farm"

I was impressed by what he put together, you should all take a look at it. I\'d love to hear from others who have found there "someday" farm, and perhaps someday I\'ll find my "maybe farm".

Thanks guys.

Link:   someday farm

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2002-01-22          34844

Dreamer, thanks for the kind words about my little web page.

I fell into what I have, by and large. My wife owned the house and just under 2 acres when I married her. My Mother and Father-in-Law lived right behind us with another 2+ acres. When they retired and moved on, they gave it to us, giving us a little over 4 acres.

That was in 1974. I spent until 1990 in the Navy. By the time I retired, the house and land were paid for. I lucked out and spent my last two years stationed locally, so I started really going to work on the place in 1988. I've managed what you see in 13 years of more-or-less constant work, without going too deeply in debt. Only about half of the land was usable when I started, now it's all cleared and rehabilitated and in pasture or garden.

I also got a deal I couldn't refuse on 19+ acres of second-growth timber with about 150' of road frontage. Initial purchase was intended to give my daughter a place to put a mobile home. Now that I've got the initial 4 acres the way I want it, it's time to start on the woodlot. S-i-L has cleared/thinned a couple acres of it to the point where I can keep it mowed with the brush hog. 4 or 5 of it is under water thanks to the beavers. That only leaves 12 acres to fence and manicure.

Assuming, of course, that I live to be about 106... ....

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-03-18          36482

Eastern Kansas is good. Western Kansas is good but you wont get your slight rolling hills! It will be flat like Indiana!

I share the same dream with you!

Todd

View my Photos
fractal

2002-05-07          38236

Depends on what you consider reasonably priced. You can get some nice property in the foothills around here, award winning schools, ag zoned, 100 acre minimum for 10-15k / acre for property alone. Anything smaller and you are paying as much for the house than for the property.

How much were you thinking of spending? ....

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-07          38262

10-15k per acre 100 acre minimum? Who can afford 1.5 million dollars????????????????????

Around my parts you get REAL LUCKY to find a house on 10 acres for less then 100000 dollars. Making a 1000$ a month house payment seems a little steep around here considering jobs pay 7$-9$ an hour. Making $50000 a year which is considered a GOOD job in Kansas thats almost an entire 2 week paycheck.

Most new houses on any kind of land like 5 acres and above are bring $250000plus around here.

Todd

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-07          38263

When I was in Florida last week, I met someone from Wisconsin, a place where I thought land was cheap. But he was telling me that land that was going for 8k an acre had popped up to 15-18k recently.

This has certainly blown my bubble about being able to move away from NJ. Down in FL where we usually rent a townhouse, 5 years ago the TH we stay in went for about $200k now its selling for $850k.

I certainly have not seen that type of appreciation on my house in NJ!

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-07          38265

Wow, that's expensive. I'm looking at a piece of land up here that has an old dilapidated shack on it. The thing is, as long as that shack stays standing, there's a right to build. If a year elapses after the collapse of the shack, then the property gets zoned agricultural. Anyways, it's 8 acres - 5 field and 3 maple sugar bush. The guy is asking 11K CDN for it. I was going to offer 8. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-07          38266

In this part of West Virginia, it's not unusual to find acreage for $1000/acre; when timber prices are up, prices will reflect it. But it is certainly possible to find grown-up farms in the 10-50 acre range (or more) with older farm houses for less than $100,000.
Bill ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-07          38267

Bill,
Thats more like it. I have heard some good things on W V. Low taxes, low prices on small farms like you said.

I was hoping to spend no more than $300 to 400k max for a small farm. But the less the better.

But I still have young children and I am looking for someplace that has good schools. How are the schools where you are?

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
THE ANSWER MAN

2002-05-07          38268

GO WEST.............. YOUNG MAN!!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-07          38276

Thats how it is out in eastern kansas and western Kansas but theres not really any good jobs anywhere to make the payments. My town is about 5 miles from the big city. We got a new 4 lane hiway between and a lot of commuting is going on with good jobs there coming over here and buying up all the land they can and build a big house on it.

Todd

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-05-07          38283

Dennis, even though both of my parents were teachers, I can't say that the schools are great. However, crime is virtually non-existent, and in this area anyway, strong work ethics and good neighbors still prevail. Perhaps those things are important to you and your family, too.
I understand that real estate values in the area near DC are escalating rapidly as people are finding it possible to live in WV and commute to DC; and the southern coal fields have historically not been considered to be a pleasant place to live; never spent enough time there to have an opinion. But if you can find a job, central WV is nice.
Bill ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-07          38289

I did a lot of work near Vineland NJ about 3 years ago. I did not think the prices were that out of line there. I recall that you could get 5-10 acres and house in the 100K area.
If the climate keeps heating up I guess I would say go north young man. There were a lot of small farms with good soil that were abandoned years ago. There are a lot of farms where a stone boat would be a necessity also.
I would suggest home schooling as a option. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-07          38290

Vineland, I had a suspicion that it had to be in that sweet spot of NJ between Cape May and Wilmington that you must be talking about for those prices.

I have lived in NJ as a life sentence, and I have never been to Vineland, I had to look at a map to be sure where it was.

When I have flown over that area it looks like it could be intersting, can you seriously recommend looking there? Or is it more likely burial ground for Jimmy Hoffa? and a place to avoid? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-07          38294

The group that I was working with in the area were much like the small town group in the midwest. Most of the group had small farms. There is still a lot of market gardens in this area. Probably not for long though as the rest of NJ moves closer.
As Leno will quip;
"How do you know it is summer in NY/NJ?"
"All of the cabbies have SPF 12 sunblock on their middle fingers"

No, I don't think Vineland is known for Hoffa's resting place, more like Scientific Glass Blowing.

View my Photos
dsg

2002-05-10          38450

PLEASE, don't move to Maine. We're gittin tired of outa staters ruinin the state.

David ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-10          38461

No David, I think of New England like Paris. Paris would be nice except for the Parsians.
As one of the maine authors once stated " In maine people are cold, you have to be there 20 years before people address you by name, and then it is only to say hello."
Sorry David for me maine is south. Having grown up north of the 55, 50 seems pretty much south.

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-11          38474

Penobscot? Passamaquaddy? Houlton Maliseets? Seems like almost everbody in Maine is an out of stater, being Iraquois. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2002-05-11          38495

My G-Grandmother was Full Penobscot, so I guess part of me is from here. ....

View my Photos
PeterA

2002-05-13          38559

There is lots of fair priced land in SE MN. Case in point I purchased an 8acre building site that was a grade A dairy farm until '97. The barn was built in the 1960's the 50x110 poll shed in '79 also a couple of other very usable sheds. The house is a 1916 large 4 Square in excellent shape. I paid 140,000. If I had the money the entire 160 acres could have been bought for 410,000. I only 35 miles from Rochester the city of 85,000 and home of the Mayo Clinic. ....

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-14          38613

Prices here in Western NY arent to shabby. I bought my place 2 yrs. ago for 120K. Thats 20 acres 30x40 barn 1700 sq. ft house (5yrs. old), pool and hot tub. Taxes are about 2200 per year. Major city(syracuse) 40 minutes away. Good deals are out there just takes awile to find. ....

View my Photos
code3mmc

2002-09-21          42752

I was out taking an aimless Sunday afternoon drive, and there it was. ;)

I found my land after about a year long search...my criteria was flat, within 30 minute drive of Louisville, KY and had utilities available. Secondary considerations were location outside of the raging annexation/zoning battles going on in the area (i.e., not within some city's incorporation zone) and also not more than 3 acres so I won't have to spend every moment of my free time cutting grass. I got 2 acres for $23,950 which is the going rate in this area at this time. I got what I wanted, plus a spectacular view of farm ponds and woods that is only a mile off a major highway. It is quiet, picturesque and manageable. Keep looking and you never know what those "Sunday drives in the country" will turn up!!!

Mike in Marysville (Indiana) ....

View my Photos
bdh2

2003-05-29          55847

hey dreamer, not sure what you do for a living but, my wife and i are both nurses so kind of living anywhere is easy....work wise. anyway we`re here in arkansas. prices for land are very reasonable i think. i just bought 11.5 acres of pasture about 45min from work with a 7yo ugly little house on it for 50k. i`m getting old and wanted to find a place to retire in the next 20 years. ar is beatiful i`ve been here 20 years already, raised my kids ect. check it out at realty.com thats where i found my place at. in the next couple years i`ll pay it off then sink a couple hundred grand into it and life will be sweet. ....

View my Photos
Mecheng

2004-02-04          75925

If your are looking in Northeast Missouri check this site out. I wish all real estate companies would state prices and give detailed descriptions like this. It worked for me.

Now if I was retiring I would look for land within a triangle defined by Springfield, Mo, Fayetteville, Ar and Tulsa, Ok. ....

Link:   Brennan Realty

View my Photos
buncle

2004-03-29          81452

G'day americans,

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I guess Australian prices relate most to West Virginia .. so like David said - forget the snobbery of anal retentive Maine(iacs) and come down under where the weather's fine and the fishn's great.

cheers, bruce ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-29          81470

Based on what I have seen, the easiest way to find the 'perfect place' is to just buy a new place.

Right afterwards the 'perfect' place will present itself.

Never fails.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-30          81525

Bruce
Where did you stay in Maine while you gathered all this exp.? ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-30          81561

Bruce,
Australia always seemed like the old west, so how did you let them take away your guns? ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-30          81609

At the end of my second enlistment in USAF (1976) a recruiter for Rhodesia, a country in Africa just above South Africa, spoke at the base NCO Club about the sale of farm land to foreigners. The deal seemed too good to be true; government financing, low interest rates on equipment purchases, large tracks of superb growing land for different types of farming, and plenty of blonde women eager to start a family. I was sorely tempted, but backed out when I was told that I'd have to serve in the Rhodesian army reserves and go through "basic" all over again. I turned down 1500 acres of wheat farm land.

Fast forward to 3 years ago: a friend of mine who took the offer has lost his farm to the "veterans" who fought for black rule. His farm, over 2000 acres, and all of his finances were given by the (now) black ruled government of Zimbabwe to blacks who knew nothing about farming. He was given the opportunity to work for the new "owners" or leave, so he left behind several dead family members who were killed while farming and returned to America. He works as a photoprocessing technician and for all intents, is a broken man.

The point? Some countries offer great deals to would be farmers. They truly are, too good to be true. ....

View my Photos
buncle

2004-03-30          81637

G'day Grinder,

Last year I stayed in an old frarmhouse in Aradia - and went sea-kayaking off Passamoquoddy bay. (wonderfull place really).

cheers bruce.

G'day Stephen,

Hey - no one took our guns - we got ca$h for 'em. ;)(actually we only handed in military style assault weapons and such.)

Without wanting to start a gun debate - we hardly need guns here - we certainly aren't in fear of our own government (though I have one for putting injured native animals out of misery and shooting feral animals - foxes, wild dogs and the like).

regards bruce.

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-31          81673

Abbeywoods,
We've heard so little about this from the liberal media, black on white atrocities seem to be no big thing to them, thank God for the web. But I always wonder why they didn't fight back enough. Are they that out numbered? Lack of will? If I lost family to something like that I would take as many of them out as I could.
Buncle,
Never say never. Re: Abbeywoods. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-31          81702

Unfortunately this a subject I know all too well.

My wife was born & raised in Cape Town South africa, and I have several relatives who had moved to Rhodesia from Britain while it was still a colony. Luckily the division of the former Rhodesia meant they ended up in Zambia and not Zimbabwe.

As Abbeywoods mentioned a lot of the whites in the southern part of the former colony have not faired well at all. The unfortunate part is that the entire country is now suffering since, as Ted mentioned, the blacks who were given the land no nothing about farming and are for the most part farming by hand while holding down jobs for any bit of cash since they are making NOTHING farming. The situation was featured in the National Geographic recently, many blacks candidly admitted that the whites had treated them well, and that at least there were jobs and food when the whites owned and operated the farms (quite successfully).

StephenR, it is easy to say you would fight, especially when you live in a place where the Police or Army would show up if you called on them, and they were on YOUR side when they did show up. It is much harder to fight a crowd fire-bombing your home under cover of darkness, or a sniper shooting people working in the fields, or a gang of people opening fire on your vehicle with automatic weapons as you drive down a desert road.

We are talking about an area of the worls where an AK-47 (with a full clip) costs US$20 and you can have someone murdered by giving the shooter that $20 gun.

When I hear people complain about OUR government I think "Geez buddy, be thankful the Gov. is only screwing you for a few bucks, and not taking everything you have and allowing someone else to kill you without retribution.".

Rant over.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-31          81706

Murf,
I am thankful for the country I live in. But it seems like alot of people are all to willing to give up their freedoms for security, in which case we wind up with neither. I appreciate the freedoms that the United States founding fathers fought for, and my own Father who fought in WWII. I refuse the PC crap that is bantered about by the Left, and yes, I am one of those who complain about getting screwed by the government for a few bucks. Their taste of power is insatiable. Better to make noise now than be silenced latter.
Ok, now the rant's over ;^) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-31          81707

Unfortunately as the saying goes "Freedom is NOT FREE.". ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-31          81710

Given the misery in totalitarian countries it appears that tyranny isn't free either. ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-31          81716

Dear Stephen, the situation there started out with an occasional half-hearted sniping action by the "freedom fighters" or rebels. My friend Glen had completed the mandatory military training, as did his wife and two of his three children, and they were well armed at all times. Glen's favorite weapon was his Belgium FN .308, full auto, his wife always carried an Uzi. But they were farmers, more than soldiers, and with the helicopter born troops being more than 45 minutes away, contacted only by radio because the phones were always out, there wasn't much advance warning when things got more complicated.

As time went on the raids became more organized, with attacks coming at night by twenty or more rebels. They would retreat when fire was returned. Then the rebels switched to day time, and killed workers (blacks) in the fields. The white minority ruled government told Glen to move his family into the nearest town where the army had a presence, they did, and enjoyed safety.

While returning to the farm (with a small military escort), Glen learned that his in-laws' Mercedes was hit by an rpg. Glen's wife's father was killed and her mother died shortly after, they had been supervising the farm workers, they were there because they were well respected by the blacks and felt they would be safe. The army suspected it was the workers who killed them (or allowed them to be) because they feared "necklacing" or being hacked by the rebels. That was hard to take, but the true hardship follwed after the white minority government ceded power to the blacks. Glen was allowed to return to the farm, and kept ownership and operation, until the politicians decided their fate. Danny Glover, the actor from "Lethal Weapon" film fame, and several Afro-American politicians, focused the world's attention on the "injustice" of white rule, and, well, black power has become global power. The rest is the kind of history we don't hear about because of political issues. You can't always "take them with you," sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

A quick word about the farm. It was magnificent and had all of the industries' best equipment. Years ago, I almost fainted when he told me his new tractor, an MF, cost over $100K (U.S.). Glen farmed wheat and meat, a lucrative combination, and was a millionaire several times over. When he left, he had only the money he was able to wire to Switzerland before the government put a hold on banking: about $200K. He arrived in America with five hundred dollars in his pocket, he wanted to start farming in the US, but couldn't get the credit necessary. Such is life. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-31          81720

Thanks for the update and best wishes to your friend. ....

View my Photos
buncle

2004-04-01          81834

But Stephen,

by saying "never say never" you've rebuked your own council. Seriously though, Australia's history and character in regard to firearms is very different from that of the US. The American constitution is a wonderful document, enshrining and spelling out with spine tingling words and poetic oratory individual rights and freedoms whereas ours is a bland legal text more akin to a private club than anything else. This is the simplest illustration I can use to help explain the different way we respectivley see our governments.

It's a big area for discussion the US and Australia are great allies and always will be but be asured most Australian's don't believe "our guns weren't taken from us" but rather "excess guns were taken out of the system - by us, for our own protection".

Gun reduction in Australia has helped make us one of the safest most peaceful places on earth.

cheers, Bruce ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-08          88065

Strangely enough with the recent D-Day rememberance ceremonies fresh in our minds comes this story, emailed to me by relatives in South Africa.

"HARARE, ZIMBABWE - Zimbabwe will nationalize all farmland and abolish private land ownership, the country's land reforms minister said on Tuesday. John Nkomo said all land will become the property of the state and property deeds will be replaced with state-issued 99-year leases. "There shall be no such thing as private land," Nkomo said.

Under President Robert Mugabe's controversial land reform measures that began in 2000, almost 5,000 white-owned farms have been handed over to landless blacks. Mugabe had argued the seizures were necessary to resettle blacks kicked off their land during British colonization. "Ultimately all land shall be resettled as state property," said Nkomo.

Critics say much of the best farmland is not being used because the resettled farmers are too poor to afford equipment, supplies and seed. Production of two of the country's biggest money earners – food and tobacco – has dropped dramatically.

Humanitarian groups have warned that the country is facing a food shortage. The United Nations estimates Zimbabwe will produce less than half the food it needs for this year and has little money or resources with which to buy or trade for food on the world market. The European Union has responded to Mugabe's behaviour by imposing sanctions on his government, withdrawing all observers and restricting government representatives from travelling within member states. But that only served to underscore Zimbabwe's status as a pariah nation, abandoned and black-listed by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund because of Mugabe's policies.

The 78-year-old Mugabe has been widely criticized by the British government and press freedom advocates as a dictatorial autocrat who holds power through bribery, corruption and intimidation. Critics accuse him of hiring unemployed teens to harass people into voting for him in a door-to-door campaign of terror. These same teens are accused of beating supposed MDC supporters to death in public.

Zimbabwe is facing an unemployment rate estimated at 60 per cent with a soaring inflation rate of 116 per cent while the average Zimbabwean income has been cut in half since independence. Starvation is threatening more than half a million people in rural areas and an educated urban elite is said be getting bribed, threatened or killed by vigilante electioneering attributed to Mugabe."

It seems the concepts of freedom and civil liberties hold little value for some people.

The strange part about all of this is it's only been 20 years since Zimbabwe declared it's independance after a bloody civil war "to escape the tirany and opression of British rule".

Yeah, right.

View my Photos
dpoplawski

2005-06-09          112136

I recently bought a 40 acre property with stone house, barn and outbuildings about 8 miles from where I grew up in Northwestern Wisconsin. Raw undeveloped land around the Ladysmith area 3 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul goes for $1K per acre. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-06-12          112245

Murf, glad to hear your wife is a Capetonian, I am led to beleive that there are a quite few South Africans in Canada, not to mention the large depot of "when we's" that have sought refuge there as well. I went to school in the Cape (near Port Elizabeth). FWIW, I was born and raised in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) and then lived in Namibia for a few before moving to the great hulking African metropolis of Johannesburg. Unfortunately the Zim stories you hear usually have some truth in them. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-12          112253

WOW!!!! A VERY interesting and wide ranging thread. Murf, I never realized you had ties to Z land and South Africa. I have some VERY strong, heart felt, and idealistic feelings and thoughts about this issue. I will just leave it at "don't get me started!" ;O)

I am probably one of our nation's strongest proponents for private property rights. Although the USA is probably the strongest private property rights oriented place in the world; it has drifted FAR from its roots in the Declaration of independence, Preamble to the Unitied States Constitution, and the United States Constitution its self to say the LEAST.

I make the FEABLE attempt to exercise ownership over more than a "few acres" of land. I have come to find out the reality that although the deeds to this land are in mine and my family's name and we pay the property taxes along with the responsibilities of ownership.................... we do not in fact in the final analysis actually own the land. The state and county by levying a property tax has forced forced upon us literally at gun point to our heads a partner ownership of this land. Don't believe me.................... just try refusing to pay your property taxes and watch how fast an an armed team of law enforcement folks come out to your home and post documents seizing ownership from you. Or if you inherit land from a parent; watch how fast "Big Brother" gets to the front of the line with his hand out to force you to pay the inheritance tax with the gun held to your head with the other hand. Don't have the money to pay the upto 45% tax?????? No problem......."Big Brother" will gladly send out the JBT's to seize your family land at gun point and auction it off for you, steal what they want and leave you the remainder if there is any left. Once the land goes up for auction, it is no longer just inheritance tax.......now you may incur capital gains taxes, closing costs, lawyer fees, etc. etc.

I love living on such a large piece of land but I find that I am forced literally to constantly keep an eye and patrol it to keep poachers, trespassers, pot growers, methamphetamine manufacturers, ATV riders, and others off of my land. My fences, fence posts, and gates have been damaged and stolen. I have caught red handed local folks stealing creek gravel with dual axle commercial dump trucks and back hoes. Local law enforcement is TOTALLY useless in this respect and I must do it myself. I will just say that I am armed as well or better armed than the folks who used to "own" the farms in Rodesia and South Africa. During hunting season I wear body armor out of fear of being shot while walking and posting my property lines. Not whinning......... just making known the actual REAL costs of ownership of land.

I love the land as well as have a GREAT respect for it, the area, and enjoy the relationships I have with my neighbors, and I walked into to this understanding the responsibilities of owning land in this country. It is not what most folks think it is at first glance and you should take this into consideration before buying land in this manor.

Getting back to the original theme of the thread; there IS still land out there to be had for reasonable prices but you have to look for it and make sacrifices with respect to employment, location, and understanding, adapting to, as well as blending in with the local culture not to mention wading through the legal issues of gaining deed and title to distressed property. This can be a very enjoyable thing or a very aggrivating. It all depends upon how you approach it and the seriousness upon which you view and wish to exercise private property ownership. Just realize that there are rights and responsibilites that come with land ownership that are not always readily apparent.

I also wanted to say in closing this lengthy post that I SORELY miss TomG's and Peter's posts and if you are out there Tom & Peters and read this; I sure hope you will drop in and post from time to time and post a word or two. Maybe you have and I just missed it. Sure hope you are doing well.

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-13          112303

Ann, Goeiemôre!, it is a small world after all, isn't it? I lived in Jo'burg (Sandton actually) for a little while too. Yes, there are a great number of Afrikaaners here in Canada, especially in Toronto. Also a good number in Vancouver because of the similar climate. Thankfully I can even buy S. African groceries, including killer Bo'vo (Boervorst).

My wife & I are contemplating me retiring early and taking it easier, the cape area is one of the places on the 'short' list.

Randy, I agree whole-heartedly with your sentiments. Unfortunately as life gets 'easier' it is because of all the things the Government does for us. These things must be paid for. We use the county extension agents, we drive on paved roads that are line painted, cleared of snow, etc, and all this costs money.

However, if everybody MERELY (he says tongue in cheek) respected their fellow person, a lot of life's misery and problems would dissappear. When that fails to happen we have recourse to stronger means. I have, and would again, take up arms in defence of others life and liberty.

I also agree with the "don't get me started...." idea, LOL.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-13          112305

Morning Murf! Hope you had a great weekend.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against paying taxes as you are indeed right; "some" of the services the government provides are sorely needed and are costly. My issue is that the taxation our government resorts to is CLEARLY in gross violation and disreguard for our Constitution. I pay for my useage of the road at the diesel fuel pump and when I register my vehicles. I pay for other services when I pay sales tax at various stores. Sales, use, and registration (with the exception of gun registration) taxes are legal forms of taxation. The others are not. I am all for paying my way but not for being robbed at gun point.

As is the way with nearly all things in life; the sweet comes with a bit of sour now and again. I still couldn't think of a better place to live on this big blue marble.

In closing; it seems that lately the government does MUCH MORE to us than for us in my opinion. ;o) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-13          112307

I agree with Randy that property taxes are a form of enslavement. The government is laying claim to the fruits of ones labor just because they can. Things have to be paid for, though, so it seems use taxes are fair. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-13          112309

Randy, the weekend was tough to take, a buddy bought a new 390 Sundancer and we had to christen it suitably. Sunshine and the temp's in the high 80's make boating pretty unbearable, luckily we had an assortment of cool beverages to keep the ladies from complaining, too loudly.

I may have to get another boat now, LOL.

Anyways, I'm with you two there, things have to be paid for, but I too object to the gross 'overpayment', let alone the things they want me to pay for.

The have a kind of nifty tax system in the Bahamas, it's a little more reasonable for the average person.

Property taxes don't kick in until the assessed value exceeds $250,000 (a decent working class home is under that, but not by much, and they are talking of bumping it to $300k now) after that you pay a small percentage of the value.

Income & Corporate taxes are also non-existant.

They do have a fairly high VAT type (sales) tax, and a big import duty, up to 70% depending on what it is. By & large though the tourists pay the majority of the Government's income.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-13          112312

I sold the Sea Ray and paid off the John Deere. I kept the Boston Whaler which is a MUCH more managable size and easier to maintain.

390 Dancer sounds sweet! I like Tiara's too. They seem to have a bit more space in the maintenance areas and make a bit better blue water boat. ALL way out of my price range! ;O) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-13          112315

I have been able, so far, to get by with a small boat too (picture # 5) but after cutting through 4' rollers on the Sundancer and not even spilling the girls wine I'm starting to think maybe I need a big boat again.

The price made "she who must be obeyed" merely laugh at the suggestion, however, having a head & galley made her re-think her position a little....

But I think the 390 is a little too big, maybe a 25'ish foot size pocket cruiser.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-13          112316

I had a Sorrento 25 with about 800 hours on her. She was not too bad to launch and tow. Any larger would be a different story.

I uploaded picture number 12 which is the whole rig ready to go on the road. I got rid of the Suburban (junk, last GM vehicle I will ever own) and the Sea Ray got sold last September.

Now I am making farm payments on a hopefully appreciating asset instead of the hole in the water in which money is tossed! LOL! ;o) ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-13          112324

I have owned a 23 Wellcraft, then a 32 Chris Craft with gen, air - the works. We had lots of fun on the 32 but it became too all consuming. We did have some great adventures on it (1000 mile trip out erie canal - up St Lawrence to Montreal - down to Champlain and home).

I now have a 21 regal which I like the best. Pack her up at home - roll it 2 miles down hill to the hudson - crank her up to 55 MPH and have some fun - then take her back home with me. Minimal investment, no dock fees, cheaper fuel, no zebra mussels to worry about. I bought it in private deal for $14K with 60 hours on it.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-30          143334

bump

Just heard that NJ where I am has the most congested roads (no surprise), while SC has the best, where I am thinking of heading.

Any body know how the upstate schools are for Middle and High School? ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-18          143832

Vineland is in South Jersey, close Cap May. been there couple times, as Dennis said, very crowed. Own a small farm is my dream too. Just did it.
Closing next week. It is in Orange County, NY. Close NJ north border. The price is not that crazy. total 36+ acres, 4 acres highland can build house, others are muck land, half woods, half open old farm land, black dirt.

View my Photos
Chief

2009-04-08          161839

It has been quite some time since someone has replied to this thread. I felt compelled to revisit and update my thoughts and opinion of moving to the "country" and buying that "Perfect Small Farm".

Let me start off with getting directly to the point.......this quest is a MYTH!

We have been living here on our farm, ranch, whatever you want to call it for almost 5 years.

I still MUST say this is some of the MOST beautiful land in the country if not the world. Indeed God's country. That part is not the MYTH. Those who think people who live in the country are "down home, nice country folks" are MYTH propagators.

After living here for almost 5 years, our ENTIRE family has come to the conclusion INDEPENDENT of one another that we live in a beautiful place BUT the local inhabitants, their culture, values, and morals would make Sodom & Gomorrah cry in shame if not make lucifer blush.

I don't think I have EVER lived in a more destestable or dispicable local culture or come across so many vile, inbred, corrupt, shameless, unscrupulous, and immoral people.

We are where we are, and it is just NOT in me to give in and move.

We stand our ground, make strides forward, and inspite of unbelievably CORRUPT, ROTTEN, and CONTEMPTABLE local law enforcement, have been able to bring in outside law enforcement agencies to effect some arrests.

Sadly, I think this may NOT be limited to our area, but has metastisized to a nationwide epidemic. I read about meth cooking, pot growing, child abuse, sexual abuse, burglary rings, corrupt cops, and corrupt political officials not only in our area but across the nation.

Folks, remember the 3 rules of real estate.........location, location, and location! Do your research VERY carefully and in pain staking detail. It will be effort well spent.

Please pardon me if I come across a bit jaded and disappointed. It is difficult to recalibrate one's outlook when 9.7 out of 10 you live among is a backward, racist, xenophobic, corrupt, inbred, illiterate, immoral, backwoods billibob bumpkin. ;-)

Trust me on this.......The "Great State of Tennessee" ain't all its cracked up to be..........at least speaking for the area we live in. :-)

If you do decide to try your luck here.......I have a few pointers.

build your house FAR back off of ANY public road

arm yourself WELL

be prepared to be your OWN protection AND law enforcement

lock up your valuables WELL....gun vault bolted to floor,etc. double deadbolt locks on SOLID core doors

get SERVERAL well trained watch dogs who are aggressive about strangers calling

drive alarm is a MUST

install time laspe, heat/IR activated, passive IR (no flash/no red glow) cameras to obervse your house, shop, barn, etc.

If possible, reach out to your neighbors and establish good relations to help each other out. I did and the value is PRICELESS.

post your property every 100 ft. or so.

put up LOCKED gates at ALL entrances

If possible, hunt lease your land to a RESPONSIBLE, conservative, and family oriented hunt club/group. This will help you put more eyes and ears out on your land.

Perhaps this post may initiate some others to follow up and post their experineces as well. I SURE hope other have more positive comments to post.

Overall.....all thing considered, I think the Lord has blessed us in unimaginable ways and we have MUCH to be thankful for. In time, I feel things will get better. It will just take a lot of time and grand jury proceedings to place the scumbags in prison where they belong. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-08          161850

That's really too bad Randy. :(

If you ever give up on that area there's a nice piece of river front just up the road from me.

I'd even let you use my new heli-pad. LOL

Keep the faith brother!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-04-08          161851

Hi Randy,

I was really into getting to the "life in the country" with a small farm like you have 10 years ago when my kids were small. Over the years my desire for it decreased, probably as I saw how much of my time was consumed just taking care of the 5 acres I have now :(

Your story sounds like that old movie "Walking Tall", sorry to hear that it has become your reality!

Thanks for the update and keep us posted, best regards to you and your family,

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Chief

2009-04-08          161858

In some ways looking after a few acres is much easier and enjoyable but you loose the sense of privacy, seclusion, and remoteness.

I like being able to go "water" the grass ANYTIME I want. The horses, and other live stock bring MUCH joy and accomplishment to our daughters.

I think something horrible has happened to what WAS once America. The people living in it may be AmeriKan citizens but they are NOT Americans. Respect for other people's property and liberties is nonexistent.

Murf, if you ever decide to make down this way, drop in for a visit. We have an airfield just a few miles from the place. As you have probably seen in the classified section, I have a 1340 acre parcel that recently became available for hunt lease. I lease a number of properties out to other huntclubs too. It is a crying shame when the folks you hunt lease to are more fun to be around than the locals. :O) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-09          161867

Chief, good to hear you're still kicking.

This is a timely post. After living here for going on ten years now we just had our first theft. Somebody cut the lock chain on my pallet forks and stole them. Bastards. I'm installing driveway sensors and a complete IP surveillance system that will notify me so I can view the cameras remotely, record video and trigger the alarm if necessary.

I really, really want to put in an image processing system coupled with remote lasers that will put a red dot on the chest of any perpetrators but I'd probably get sued for taking out an eye. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-09          161868

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 161867
After living here for going on ten years now we just had our first theft.

That sucks!!

I'm extremely lucky, I have the opposite situation.

I got home from Florida to find that even though my employees were supposed to keep the driveway cleared of snow, the lane down the back to the shop was cleared also. When I went back to see why I found footprints to & from my shop door.

Fearing the worst I entered but found nothing disturbed except a note on the work-bench that read "Ted, you left the shop lights on again. Keith.".

It turns out I had indeed left the shop lights on, and a neighbour (who knows the 'secret' way in) had gone in to turn them off lest they burn for several weeks and tip someone off to the fact that I was away.

Randy, count on it!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2009-04-09          161873

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 161867
Chief, good to hear you're still kicking.This is a timely post. After living here for going on ten years now we just had our first theft. Somebody cut the lock chain on my pallet forks and stole them. Bastards. I'm installing driveway sensors and a complete IP surveillance system that will notify me so I can view the cameras remotely, record video and trigger the alarm if necessary.I really, really want to put in an image processing system coupled with remote lasers that will put a red dot on the chest of any perpetrators but I'd probably get sued for taking out an eye.

Sorry to hear of your bad "AmeriKan neighbor" experience Ken.

I can tell you from experience that the Reconix RC60 is an OUTSTANDING time lapse camera. It has a 1/5th second trigger that can be set to take a burst of 5 pictures with each sensor reception of movement. It can also recognize upto 4 Gb of memory which = a LOT of pictures. It is VERY miserly on battery consumption. Mine is still on the intitial set of batteries I installed last August and the camera has taken well over 5,000 pictures. The batteries were at 78% last time I exchanged memory modules. Another nice thing is that they are pin # protected so a thief cannot use it if stolen. They come with provisions for a Master Lock Python locking cable.

They are a bit on the pricey side but WELL worth it. They WORK and work WELL.

http://www.reconyx.com/page.php?id=61

http://images.reconyx.com/file/RapidFire%20Manual%20Jan%202009.pdf ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-09          161876

Thanks for the recommendation Randy. We don't really have anything to monitor that isn't in view of the house, around a one acre area. The rest of the property is heavily forested.

All equipment that won't fit in the garage and shed is chained to trees in view of the house, so cameras mounted on the house and connected to a central DVR should do the job. Some of those cameras are pretty pricey and I'm looking at about 8-12 cameras in total. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-04-09          161881

Chief,

I can understand what you are saying and it is not just one area or one state or one part of this country and probably not the whole world either.

One thing you hit when you move into any community that has few people moving into or out of is relationships and the way any outsider is treated. This can even be true in the local community by even a change in Church or where you work. It is just human or inhuman which ever it really is. Another thing that makes rural life tough or can is the low number of people you live around. The attitude of one or two (or a few anyway)either good or bad has such a major influence as the total population is small compared to a more heavy population center.

I live about 7 miles from town, not in an isolated area by any means. There is a small subdivision at me of about 20 houses but on my side of the road no house for 1/4 mile one direction and none the other direction for about 1/2 mile. Have three adjoining farm land owners. One is father of friends we grew up with. The other two I know only because they are adjoining land owners. One treats us with respect and I watch his place for him. Have called him when I have had concerns for his place or the way his employees speed by us. Even called the law when I could not reach him regarding trespassors. The other is a liar, only cares about himself and only call I will make regarding his land is when someone there is breaking law that affects me. Which I have had to call on him and his friends once or twice. So out of my three adjoining land owners two get high praises and one gets terrible score so 1/3 or 33% are problems. Now if the problem person sells his land for subdivision then that one adjoining land owner becomes maybe 25 but more like 100. Ratios really change.

So guess you buy a place and only live next door to siblings and cousins...wait..not mine..rather have any of you. :)

At same time, it is very possible the people bothering your property are not local. Or they may be some one who has visited you. ....

View my Photos
TumbaDowns

2009-04-21          162211

yep i agree with you there KT when i brought my place it was a complete life style change for me, and settling into a small town can take awhile to get known, i live about 19 miles from town, and all though you do meet people in your daily business dealings it takes time. I found that when i took an off farm job in town a lot of things change. now I can walk down the main street and almost everyone calls me by my 1st name. my nearest neighbour is about 3 miles away as the crow flies but to get there by road is around 6 miles. My farm is small by local standards being 1750acres. but my neighbours are great, helping me pull a new calf when the mother had problems during calving, the other neighbour show me how to castrate bull calves with rings rather than cutting them. my neighbour have made me feel welcome to our little out of town community, even throwing me a surprise 60th birthday party. ....

View my Photos
TumbaDowns

2009-04-21          162212

kwschumm
just emember to take the spark plug out of the chainsaw ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-22          162226

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbaDowns | view 162212
kwschummjust emember to take the spark plug out of the chainsaw

LOL The chainsaws are all locked up but if they want any of this stuff bad they'll probably have a set of bolt cutters. Quite a bit quieter. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-22          162228

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 162226
LOL The chainsaws are all locked up but if they want any of this stuff bad they'll probably have a set of bolt cutters. Quite a bit quieter.

Ken, there's a rather devious way to keep your stuff protected if you think you just have one or two locals snooping around for easy to pick up stuff.

I did this a few years back, it works well.

Get a plastic jerry can and go to the local airport and have it filled with 100LL aviation fuel. Then leave it out near a shed or garage so a thief will think you've just left it out by mistake, the mistake will be theirs!

100LL is coloured blue so anybody stealing it thinks they've got 2 stroke mix.

Avgas burns very hot compared to regular gas, and since it has no lubricating oil even though it looks like it does, it burn out a 2 stroke motor in very short order.

After losing a motor or two they will quickly stop looking around your place for anything else.

If you know anybody at the local small engine shop, you can ask about burned out motors right after the fuel disappears. LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-22          162229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 162228
Ken, there's a rather devious way to keep your stuff protected if you think you just have one or two locals snooping around for easy to pick up stuff.I did this a few years back, it works well.Get a plastic jerry can and go to the local airport and have it filled with 100LL aviation fuel. Then leave it out near a shed or garage so a thief will think you've just left it out by mistake, the mistake will be theirs!100LL is coloured blue so anybody stealing it thinks they've got 2 stroke mix.Avgas burns very hot compared to regular gas, and since it has no lubricating oil even though it looks like it does, it burn out a 2 stroke motor in very short order.After losing a motor or two they will quickly stop looking around your place for anything else. If you know anybody at the local small engine shop, you can ask about burned out motors right after the fuel disappears. LOLBest of luck.

:) That'll teach 'em. Good trick Murf!

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-22          162231

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 162229
:) That'll teach 'em. Good trick Murf!

Oh it certainly does, it cost a former neighbour of mine a new motor for his and his son's 4 wheelers.

It was pretty tough for him to deny he knew his kid was up to no good after his motor toasted too!!!

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login