Go Bottom Go Bottom

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-11          130741

Has anyone been able to break the lab from the manure roll and scent there of. Our lab/border collie cross had a run in with a coyote and ripped a pad on a paw. He was at the vet, fixed up and has been on the mend in the house for 3 weeks. I want to let him out during the day, but he has decided the shampoo smell is better with manure. Needless to say we need to break him of his new hygene treatments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-11          130746

Nope. Haven't cured them of that. My lab knows when he did a bad roll. I just have to say "Get in the shower" and off he goes into the walk-in shower to get his punishment bath. You would be trying to break thousands of years of instinctive behavior. Good luck with that.

If your manure is in a pile, slap a fence up. Some cheap poles and some chicken wire worked to keep them out of my compost pile. They liked to eat my maure pile. Once it crusted over, they ignored it like they'd ignore a pile of dirt. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-11          130747

My buddy's black Lab mix Duke does the same thing. He'll find a very rotten animal in the woods and bring it back to the house and feast on it. A rotten, moldy pig hoof was like he found a pot of gold. Fresh deer poop is his favorite---he rolls on his back like a cat loves catnip. My buddy's 5-yr old daughter got a "stinky gift" when she unwittingly pet Duke when he got inside the house. Boy did he get a yelling at! ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-06-12          130753

The only thing that seems to work is a tight dog leash. We let our's roam freely durind walks in the woods. Our's prefers bear sXXit and dead fish and skunk when available and there is no stopping her. Giving her a bath means something is going to happen within a couple of days to get rid of the scent.

So far, she has cut her front pad twice and stepped on a nail in ditch bottoms and tangled with a muskrat and lost.
She sheds enough hair to make a new dog every couple of days.

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-12          130759

It's one of the joys of owning a dog. :)
Dave ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-06-12          130761

I had a previous non-lab mix that enjoyed rolling in crap once/twice every summer.

My currect lab-mix just prefers to eat it - hasn't rolled in it yet. She's gotten much better, it's just a matter of walking the dog with a prong coller, and when she sniffs a pile and opens her mouth - a stern correction comes her way.

Best of luck. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-12          130764

I get the best of both worlds. My retriever mutt rolls in the deer poop any opportunity she gets - we have a name for it - "shit-neck" - that's where she prefers to apply the perfume.

The other dog - a belgian sheep-dog - likes to eat the shit, but doesn't roll. You can tell she's had a snack when she comes up to you and her breath stinks like raw sewage.

Haven't figured out how to cure either - they're dogs, that's what they do. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-12          130767

Once he got big enough he went outside to stay. I never seemed to have a problem. As I had to bring him for the paw surgery we had to clean. The horses are in the field so it is not hard for him to find a fresh one, but difficult for us to limit access to it.

With a lab I am not sure that it is not a cycle to get in the water. You clean him and he gets smelly and you clean him again. Could it be positive reinforcement?

Before this we had a Golden retiever and I never had any problem. You would think they would be similar. But? ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-12          130768

Some dogs are worse with the roll problem than others. I have no idea why. As mentioned, some prefer to just eat it. Mine love rabbit turds. It's like chocolate-covered raisins. yum!

My lab hates baths. So it is a punishment. But they can smell the shampoo so they want to go roll again to get rid of that smell. As soon as mine are out of the shower they are pile-driving into the carpet to try to get rid of the smell. A week or two of restriction to the fenced area helps the smell wear off naturally and restricts their access to maure, dead animals, etc.

You have horses so you have plenty of manure. It's gonna just keep happening now and then. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-12          130775

Peters,
My sister's Golden retriever is a big roller. She'll find something dead in seconds (the dog, not my sister). I don't think the desire is breed related.

Whenever someone brings this subject up I have to laugh. My terrier didn't just roll in it. She needed to really force the stuff into her fur. She would push the back of her head down into a nice pile and actually do a wrestlers arch so that just about all her weight was mashing it into the back of her head. All the while twisting like Chubby Checker was playing in her brain.

Later I would usually wait till the women were done huggin' and kissin' the mut. If they didn't notice the scent right away, I would then describe sight in detail. :)
Dave ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-12          130786

Definately some breds are worse than others. We raised Springers for a while and never had a problem. Goldens are mostly lab blood so I can imagine. I never had any problems with Beagles either. We have Yorkshires and I don't have any problems with them either.

My sisters lab is the same, but their Catahoula doesn't seem to roll.

I know masking sent is inherent in wolves so I guess it is stronger with some breds. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-13          130812

My mom has had goldens for years. Some do the roll, some don't. Some love rabbit turds and some don't. One would hunt down the wild asparagus and eat it up. She knew where every patch was in the fields and would systematically check them out. Course it's the same dog that swallowed a chipmunk it caught while the critter's foot was still wiggling. Freaked my mom out.

Her golden that doesn't roll is the same one that was tied to the grill to keep from taking off bumming. He saw a rabbit. My stepdad got a new grill out of the deal. But her other golden loves the roll. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-06-13          130813

I have had Alaskan Malamutes for many many years and being a direct shot off of the Wolf, they roll. Find a dead bird, they roll, find a piece of foriegn Sh-- they roll. My current bithc will roll on her ball or on a dead Lady Bug or even a Fly. As Peters said, I have no doubt it is to mask their own scent. Or baffle the nostrils off of anyone following them.
Some of you younger ones need to grab a copy of Cheech and Chongs old LPs and listen to FiFi and the Gum in the butt. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-14          130840

NHope, Jack Russells love doing it to BTW.

I never could figure out why an animal with 25 times the amount of smell receptors compared to a human would want to make themselves smell worse, but they do!!

A dog can smell 100 million times better than a human being, yes 100 million!!! They can smell a single drop of blood in five quarts of water!!

Yet they still think Coyote poo smells better than $25 a bottle doggy shampoo!!

The good Lord works in mysterious ways friends!!

Best of luck. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-14          130850

Okay guys,

Just looked at K-9 site and they are asking what is wrong with their owners. Don't they know that stuff they pay a lot of money for and put on them stinks really bad. Don't our humans have any sense of smell?

Why any old dead criter or waste, which is free smells much better!!

There really is two possible answers, one the shampo or such really causes them a problem with their senstive noses and they are not able to pick up on other sents or they like playing you for a dummy! LOL Could be both cause some dogs are right smart. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
oneace

2006-06-15          130912

My lab won't go with in 10 feet of any pile or why any thing urinated. Play fetch with her and the ball lands too close to any of the above and she will not get it. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-06-16          130926

She may be worth allot of money if you could breed her, that is if her off-spring would have the same traits. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
oneace

2006-06-16          130939

She can only be cloned. Breeding was taken away from her as a pup. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-06-17          130970

Here is my brand new PUPPY, this was taken last night

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/Plots1/P1010466.jpg
here is anouther one, we think she may be a "water dog"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/Plots1/P1010480.jpg ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-18          130986

Sweet puppy!! Thet are so cute as pups. Yet so destructive in such a small package!! ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-06-18          130993

My last Lab was a "crap eater" In the winter, We (I) used to call them "Frozen Treats". The kids used to get grossed out when I would talk crap like that. I would call the dog in and then ask it if it was eating Shi% ??? My buddy would slink her head down low and crawl away! LOL. Also, when my kids would say, "Look dad, she is so adorable, shes liking my face she likes me so much! LOL I would tell them, "Nope, she's just trying to get the crappy taste out of her mouth!

I dont think there is much you can do about the crap eating although I do plan to disipline heavily if this one strats that practice, maybe I can nip it in the bud.
I never really had a problem with the other Lab rolling in it though! ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-18          131003

If you want to stop them from eating and object. Or to stop chewing on for example (insulation on pipes) spray it with hot sauce. Anytime they smell hot sauce again they will leave it alone. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-06-18          131004

LOL, Right!!!! Or just maybe they develope a "taste" for the hot sauce! If I sprayed hot sauce on my furniture I would be the one "out of the house" LOL.
Its funny how our dogs can destroy something in the house and its OK but god forbid I acidently drop some usless glass trinket! WOW ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-18          131012

I know you did not call her priceless cermanic do-dad a usless trinket. You are the bravest man I know. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-20          131101

I'm so glad my wife isn't into those ceramic trinkets!

As for the mutts, I tried cayanne pepper once with an airdale (sp?) mix we had in high school. He sniffed it and then went at it like it was cocaine. He loved it. Weird dog. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-20          131105

I'd be concerned about using hot sauce near my dogs too...

They are such avid hunters that anything that moves is prey, house flies are a particular delicacy. Problem is, 2 hours later they can clear a good-sized room.

We jokingly (?) refer to it as "dropping coyote bait"...

I dropped a Brat off the BBQ one sunny day last summer, the little fella had it before I even knew it was gone.

He did *not* sleep in our bed that night, in fact he didn't even sleep in our room!!!

Best of luck. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-20          131110

OH!! Murf brought up the perfume. My male lab can clear a room and strip paint off the walls. That's some nasty stuff!!

I do try to watch what he gets into just because of that issue. But you can't watch them 24/7. SO I try to fan it towards my wife. I read somewhere it's good for a marriage if the spouses learn to share. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-20          131114

Iowafun,

I know at your other post you said you were moving to Mich. Just realized you did not say your wife was moving. Had not thought on that until you just posted your "sharing". LOL

GB ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-20          131123

I had two spitz and the only thing they hunted was the insulation on my water pipes. I poured the tabasco sauce in their mouths and watched them drag their lips through the grass. Then I put it on all the pipes, from then on whatever i put the sauce on they stayed cleared of. As for the flatulence they were well versed in that before the sauce. I also belive in sharing, the dogs will also take the blame for any airbombs that maybe dropped by the wife. I did not know she would do that until the dogs died. I will save the story of why I used the tabasco sauce for a later time. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-20          131136

Come to think of it maybe I don't want the dog to clean up his act. The other day the smell was so bad my son in the next room was complaining. It wasn't the smell that was so bad in the my room, but the burning of the eyes was terrible. Naturally the dog was blamed and he bought it, for a time...... ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-20          131138

SG8NUC: Long time, no hear! Where ya been hidin'?

Read your last post---too funny! But you will finish the story, right? ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-20          131142

Earthwrks
My computer access got trashed for a few day just showed back up 2 days ago. I will finish the story soon. Thanks for noticing I was gone. It is good to be back. I find it hard to live without these words of wisdom. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-21          131154

I second earthwrks comments. And here I thought SG went off on a protracted summer vacation.. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-21          131180

I just figured them Georgia skiters had him cornered. They grow them big I hear. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-21          131183

Hey had a cookout just the other night, the fileted skeeters were great with tabasco sauce. Just another down home protracted summer vacation in the deep south. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-21          131199

SG: "I find it hard to live without these words of wisdom."

Are those words yours?

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-21          131201

i dont know it they are mine, you know I did type them. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-21          131205

SG: "i dont know it they are mine, you know I did type them."

What the heck? Was that ebonics?

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-22          131256

That was SouthEastbonics. You lost me I am grasping for straws. ....

The Lab Manure Roll

View my Photos
SteveF

2022-03-20          200924

I have had numerous labs and only one of them liked to do the manure roll, only after a washing though, nice.

My current lab is on a weight loss regime, and now likes to eat deer droppings as if it was kibble. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login