Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-09          90401

CUTers,

Anybody have problems with an automatic tranny in a 2002 era Dodge Ram 1/2 ton pickup? My buddy's Ram (4x4, 360, off-road package) gave a trouble code that the dealer said was transmission related; they recommend fluid change and a solenoid replacement to start; if the code recurs then they say it needs a new transmission. :-( Out of warranty, of course.

Thanks,
Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-09          90402

Bill, I don't know if it's the same problem but one of the kids that works for me had a problem with his, they wen't around and around trying to nail it down.

If they reset all the codes and replaced the fluid, filter everything was fine, or so they thought. Then the next time he pulled his fishing boat the fluid smelled a little burnt and the tranny would get REAL hot, even with a cooler. The dealer said the only thing left was a rebuild.

He took it to another shop who said the problem wasn't the tranny at all, it was his trailer wiring! It seems there is a sensor that looks for 12v. in the brake light circuit, assuming you are stopping it unlocks the torque converter to allow it to slip. If there is any corrosion, or a short (or even partial short) in the trailer harness that allows 12v. to back-feed the brake circuit, even small amounts of power will cause the sensor to unlock the converter.

They put a new trailer plug on the truck and installed a small rectifier to prevent back-feeds and the problem was solved.

Best of luck. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-07-09          90463

Hi, Murf.
This sounds close enough to his problem that it would be worth a look. The fluid supposedly does have a burnt smell. He's never been happy with the way it shifts; on any kind of incline, the truck is constantly looking for the right gear (or locking and unlocking the torque convertor). The dealership has been telling him all along that it was normal.

Thanks for the info.

Bill ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-10          90491

Fascinating possible solution from Murf! I don't know if it's the whole solution though. I hear that burnt smelling TX oil is a bad sign.

The engine rebuilder for my '89 F150 pointed out that the TX oil smelled burnt and that it the TX did any damage to the engine he wouldn't warranty the engine work. I suspect he greatly over-stated the case, but at least he wasn't trying to sell me TX work.

Maybe it's an issue here. You'd think if the problem existed then manufacturers should be aware of the possible results of standard trailer wiring and provide warnings and dealers should be aware of it. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
Billy

2004-07-10          90494

Hey Bill, it wouldn't happen to still be under warranty, would it? 7 years or 70,000 miles?

Just a thought
Billy ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-07-10          90495

Hey, Billy.
No, not still in warranty. I don't remember if you had an option that year or if it was the only standard warranty, but his is 3 yr/36000 miles.

Take care,
Bill ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-12          90605

What is it with those Dodge trucks? A friend of mine has gone threw 3 tranny's with his 2001 3/4 ton Ram. 2 were under warrenty & the 3 rd one out of his pocket. He finally traded it in for a diffrent make. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-12          90606

Some of this new electronic stuff I guess we just have to accept, but what was wrong with a dodge truck like I owned from 1975 (new) till 2003? It was a D300 one ton with the 360 engine and the 727 automatic. It had a livestock and grain box on it with an electric hoist that worked flawlessley. I paid 4000.00 for it outright/ truck, box, hoist, whole smackeroo in 75. That old tonner never drew an easy breath, 90% grunt work. The 360 engine never gave up, the 727 tranny finnaly went out in 2001, a local shop gave it a complete overhaul and a two year warranty for 375.00. So I question why we need all of this electronic follishness when the old "Tonner" as we allways called it gave service like that? Frank. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-12          90627

It's funny how things go around in a circle.

A few years back everybody thought electronics were going to be the way of the future for vehicles, and I suspect in cars that lead an easy life, they are probably a good thing. In a truck that works for a living however, it's another story, especially if some of that work involves plowing snow doing ice control.

We ran F-350's for years, but recently, with the price of trucks edging up every year, we have been switching to 3 ton trucks. They are still mostly built under the 'manual control is better' and 'it has to go a million miles' philosophies. The latest one, a Hino conventional is a dream to drive, rides just like a 1 ton dually, with a 220hp. inline 6 coupled to an Allison 5 spd (with over-drive) it really gets up and goes too. I put a 12' aluminum dump box on it. It was within a few thousand dollars of a new F-350 in price, but is twice the truck.

Best of luck. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-12          90686

That's a cab over style right Murf? They are becoming popular around here also. I was contiplating on the Mitsubishi HG on my last purchase. Kinda sorry I didnt end up buying it. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-12          90696

Unfortunately this is a common problem with the Dodge Auto-Trannys. Knowing many people in the business, the problem usually stems from modifications and/or abuse. Big tires, hot-rod chips, overloading are all real common problems. How many stock trucks do you see? Just beacuse it looks like a T2000 Kenworth, doesn't mean it is, or can be.

As they say at the Turbo-Diesel Register (TDR) website: (Cummins Dodge Organization) If you modify your truck or abuse it you "...become your own warranty station...".

Their auto-trannies are weak, it's a known fact, thats why I bought the 5-speed. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-13          90749

Av8r - Good statement. My wife is a dye hard total dodge fan. She drove a dodge truck till we had kids, now she drives a durango. I like the durango but it is a gasaholic! Its got that new 4.6 i think V-8 in it, it's an 03'. Lots of power but uneconomical. My Ford diesel dump truck does better on fuel hauling a 20' trailer everyday with my Kubota on it. For me, Plowing is to consuming to buy a stick so the dodge wasn't an option. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-18          91241

I don't really care what it is if it has over drive which all cars now days do it is junk. Then it will also cost about 3600 if you are lucky to get it rebuilt. Manual tranny is the way to go. ....

Transmission troubles

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-07-19          91355

I have a 98 1500 4X4 with about 105,000 miles. Had the Tranny rebuilt about 2 years ago ($2800). Still think there is a problem with the torque converter, but the repair place says no. Anyway. Last week she lost her mind ( THe truck not my wife, Although my wife may pending on what the repair shop says. Driving down the road the Emergency brake light came on, then the ABS light, then the Check enigine, then the Speedometer stopped working, the next day before I could get it to the shop, started it up and started down the road and it would not shift out of first gear. Let me tell you, it was a long drive at 2500 rpms to the repair shop. I am hoping it is sensors. but Like said earlier, I wish they would have left good enough alone and not put all this elecrtonic garbage on the vehicles. It causes more problems then it is worth. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login