Go Bottom Go Bottom

2004 1 2 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins quot 600 quot Powers Past the

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-05          70338

Dodge announced yesterday that they will equip their Cummins powered pickups with an up rated engine producing 325 hp & 600 ft. lbs. torque. Looks like there is a hp, torque, and towing capacity race between Dodge, GM, & Ford. What is going to be very interesting is watching how much the others bump up their diesel engines. The Cummins 5.9 is not even breathing hard at that hp/torque level. The stock Cummins 5.9 that are used in RV's put out 660 ft./lbs. torque. Nice to see some competition!

Link:   click here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-05          70348

Chief, you really need to stay out of these pages as you are going to have us both spending money unneccessarily. I only have 55K on my 400,000 mile Ram 3500 pickup. I don't plan to replace it for a few years. As it has not seen the dealer I don't plan on seeing him for a few years.
Now I lied I went for lunch Tuesday with a friend that is a Dodge and GMC truck dealer. Sorry I am not going to see him about a new truck. If can just stop myself from asking him for a ride in a new one. Help!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-05          70349

Eric, you can always spring for a set of 275 hp RV or DDII injectors and an Edge EZ, VA, or boost elbow. You'll need a turnbuckle for the waste gate to take advantage of the extra boost above 21 psi. Is a pretty reliable setup from what I have read and is still within the holding capability of the stock OEM clutch if you are reasonable with it. This setup should give you around 350 hp and over 650 ft./lbs. torque. If you have an automatic, you may want to just leave it stock unless you have beefed up the transmission. I love my 2002 just as is.....STOCK. I may get around to adding a few "goodies" later on if the need arises. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-05          70351

I have been considering a 5th wheel travel trailer for some time now. One of these sounds like it would be the hot setup for dragging that around. I am not in a hurry, so I think I will see how this drama plays out. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-05          70353

Now if Dodge would fix the current crew cab and make it a REAL crew cab at least as big as Fords. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-12-05          70354

Good call AC5ZO, The way the power battle is going in a year or so they'll all be vastly over powered, Far more than the average man needs.then prices may tend to settle some. by the way I'm very happy with my 03 DURAMAX.even in stock form it has plunty of umf for the average fella. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-05          70365

Still happy with my recently back from retirement 94 Ram 2500 Cummins. (see just for fun post) 150k miles and only repair has been a bad rear main seal and clutch disk soaked with oil. It "only" has 175hp, but still has pulled anything I have ever hooked up to. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-05          70366

I guess they have finally made their way around to the full size pick-ups. A few years back it was the S-10's, Rangers, and Dakotas; then they went to the SUV's. My wife bought a brand new 89 S-10 before we were married with no AC or 4X4 but with 3/4 ton payload and 4.3 liter V-6. In the snow with that big V-6 it is nothing more than a sled. On dry roads it will squeal tires going from first to second gear and it is an automatic!!! The Suv's kept getting bigger and bigger and more and more engine. I've got the Explorer with V-8. I think I am ready for a new truck too!!! I guess I better wait a while since I just got a new Kubota or the wife will be kicking me to the curb!!!!! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-06          70420

AV8R, I figured you had a torque plate on the pump. You have the P7100 pump which is supposed to be really easy to turn up. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-06          70421

Chief mine has pletty of power as it has the 5 sp and the low limited slip rear end. I doubt that you could push is much over 90 but then that is not what I bought it for.
I I was going to make any modification I would like the additional overdrive so I could split shift and gain milage at highway speeds.
After posting I took the truck to go and pick up a couple of tons of wood pellets. On the way home I turned onto the 4 lane a head of an H2. He pulled out and went to the other lane and I pulled away from him. I may be slow but I am still ahead of the H2?
Not sure I want to be able to spin my 4 wheels with out dropping the clutch. They spin enough now in the wet. They are a little expensive to replace. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-06          70425

Eric, I thought you had the 24V Cummins? AV8R has the 12V generation engine and they benefit a LOT from the torque plate which really helps out the pulling power. They are VERY easy to modify since they have the mechanical P7100 pump. I am like you, I do NONE of the hot rod stuff with my truck. It might be nice to have some extra umph pulling a load of logs or the boat but so far I have not had the need for the extra ponies. Not worth the cost of tearing up something with the cost of a clutch over a $1,000 and that is the cheap item. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-06          70433

Chief;
I am not sure which version of the Cummins I have, I know they boosted output that year, but I am not sure that I recieve one. I think mine is 235 hp I think and the change was only a pump boost to provide 260 hp shortly after I purchase mine. It is certainly a 24V version.
I have not had much trouble towing or thought anything about having more power. I have towed more than 10,000 lb a lot of times and never really had much trouble. With the tractor and trailer I don't even know it is behind me. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-06          70435

My theory: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just think, with only a fraction of the potential output, my motor will last 500k +++ miles! Thought about a TDS(?) fuel cam kit, but decided I didn't need the extra output. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-12-06          70450

Chief I agree, these trucks are TOO much $$$$ to tear em' up hotrodding around. I do have a new intake and straight piped exhaust but no "real" modifications. I toyed with the chip idea,but what do I need it for???

I STILL would take the HP and torque the manufacturers want to give me, even if it is only for bragging rights :) How long before Ford or GM counters? Seems like GM is due for a boost next. I think they thought that the Duramax would stay on top longer than it did. Ford and Dodge were already ahead and now Dodge will widen the margin even further.

The way it's going soon we'll be heading for 18 wheeler power ratings from 25 years ago :0

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-15          71277

This is a little more detailed info. I got off of TDR on this story.

December, 2003 - New High Output

In our continuing effort to drive excellence to your showroom floor, Dodge is pleased to announce the availability of a new 5.9L High Output Cummins 325/600 Turbo Diesel with enhanced performance and 50 state certification on all Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickups.

With Best-In-Class Torque, Towing, GCWR and GVWR, the 2004.5 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins 325/600 will be the strongest heavy-duty pickup truck on the market.

Now available in all 50 states, the Dodge Ram Heavy Duty with the new Cummins 325/600 Turbo Diesel delivers confidence, dominating the full-size diesel pickup market with 600 lb.-ft of torque and the ability to tow 16,400 lbs.

The strongest and most powerful heavy-duty pickup available with 325 horsepower and 325/600 lb.-ft of torque, the new Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins 325/600 overpowers the competition. Just take a look at these facts?

- Delivers a 40 lb.-ft torque advantage over Ford Powerstroke and 80 lb.-ft of torque advantage over Chevy Duramax

- Almost 3,000 lb. towing advantage over Ford F350 Powerstroke and 500 lb. advantage versus the Chevy 3500 Duramax

- Delivers peak horsepower and torque earlier than either Chevy Duramax and Ford Powerstroke

- Delivers 25 more horsepower than Chevy Duramax

- Quietest Cummins diesel ever produced

- Cold Start Capability, allows the turbo diesel to start in -20F without an engine block heater

- Best Heavy Duty diesel rating in the JD Power 2003 Initial Quality Survey, surpassing Chevy Duramax and Ford Powerstroke

The MSRP for the new 5.9L HO Turbo Diesel will be $5,360, a $135 MSRP increase for these engine improvements. Price protection will only be applied to unscheduled sold orders.

December order input is now open with production commencing in early January 2004. Dealers are requested to select ETH sales code. Remaining unscheduled orders will be converted to the new diesel by December 5th unless otherwise cancelled. The Standard Output diesel (ETC) will be discontinued.

To showcase the strongest truck in the market, we have planned a new television and print ad highlighting Ram Heavy Duty with the new Cummins 325/600. In addition, the Ram catalog will be reprinted featuring a new spread on the Cummins 325/600. Websites and training material will also be updated.

With the release of the new Cummins 325/600, the Ram brand of pickups now claims the fastest production pickup Ram (SRT-10), strongest heavy-duty pickup (Ram 2500/3500 with Cummins 325/600), and the most powerful, mass-produced light-duty pickup (Ram 1500 with Hemi).

Power to get the job done!

Darryl Jackson
Vice President, Dodge Marketing

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-20          71785

Something everyone seems to forget when comparing the Cummins motor to the Ford or Chevy diesel is the design. An inline six has far fewer (50% i read somewhere) moving parts than a V-8, and the surface area of the main bearing journals is something like 125% more. This is an INDUSTRIAL motor, not a disposable automotive pos. How many V-8 powered semis or tractors do you see?

More useless junk from your Uncle Larry. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2003-12-23          72031

I have one of the first automatic 2003 quad-cab 4x4 2500 high-output diesels (305 hp and 555lb.ft torque). Compared to my '99 with 240hp, this one is a screamer. "Throttle" response is close to that of a gas engine--virtually no turbo lag. I can pull an 8,000 lb. skidloader with 1000lb. of attachments plus the 2,500 lb. trailer with power to spare in overdrive. When it comes to snow plowing here in Michigan it barely slows down under load. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login