Go Bottom Go Bottom

What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your Cummins

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-01          56157

I just clicked over 10,000 miles yesterday on a trip. About 250 miles round trip with cruise control on as much as possible at 57 mph. Computer was telling me around 21 mpg average but I have about 11% larger diameter tires. When I do the stubby pencil method and add in about 10%, comes to just a tad over 23mpg. I was looking at some engine mods but kinda hate to mess with success. ;o)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
David Carpenter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-02          56368

With the cruise set at 76mph, ac on full blast(to deal with the 97 degree heat in Texas) and auto trans, I got 19.5 from last tank. My truck has about 63,000 miles on it now. My milage got better between 10,000 and 20,000 miles on the truck. When I put the Edge EZ on I gained about 1 1/2 mpg. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56375

Not bad mileage at all. How is the Edge EZ working with the auto trans? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-02          56386

Mine is averaging about 19-19.5 on the computer. It seems to vary with where I buy diesel. I have the real low rear end and the 3500 so it sucks diesel on the free way.
The biggest improvement I have had is switching to the synthetic oil.
Does it make any difference with the tail gate down or with a air gate? I tried this with my Ford 150 but with the new low cd design it made no difference.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56387

Any of you use a fuel additive? I am using John Deere Summer Formula but have been experimenting with Power Service and Howes. ....

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2003-06-03          56523

the EZ seems to have no effect on the trans at all. I have never felt any slip or shudder. I use the Shell Rotella fuel additive. Cummins seems to run quieter when I use it. ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2003-06-08          57081

after many years of owning tractor trailer units, I always used Howes lubricant. THe name tells it all, lubricant.. Power service and most of the rest of them are mostly alcohol. At least with Howes, you freeze, and they pay up. I have an 01 quad, 4 X 4 short bed, 6sp tranny with the HO motor.. 16 to 21 MPG and it is continuos. I do the worse and that is 4 mile trips here and there. Once, with a heavy tail wind, on the way to Boston I got 26. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-10-27          67276

Mine is a '94 2500, 4x4, 3.55's, 5-speed, with 265-75R-16 tires; milage varies between 17mpg worst recorded, and 25mpg best, depending on speed load and type of fuel.

Using a winter blend fuel and hauling heavy gets the worst mileage. Summer #2 empty with cruise set to 55, gets 25+ mpg. ....

View my Photos
jrk234

2003-12-27          72392

Just did a trip to Florida and back. Best tank was 17.85 and worse tank was 15.5. I use Lucas fuel additive. My truck is a 02HO 4x4 with 4.10 gears. I have a comp box stage 2 inj, 4" exhaust and mega cannon air filter. The gears hurt my mileage on the highway. Going to a 285 tire to help with the gears when the factory tire are shot.

Jeff ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2003-12-30          72704

I've got the '03 H.O. diesel (12,000 miles), 4x, factory tires and 4:11 axles. Pulling about 15,000 around town I get in the low teens, empty on highway 17-29 on high end. ....

View my Photos
kully560

2003-12-31          72806

I have owned a 1994 ,1997,1999,these were gas with 318 engine. got 15 to 16 mpg highway, so I herd about cummins with great fuel milage. so I picked up a new 2001 4x4 quad cab,stock rear put 47000 miles on it all highway ,in 30 months my fuel milage was the same from day one to trade for new 2003 truck. milage was 16 around town the little I drove it in town.highway was18.5 never change also truck was automatic.my 2001 was 215 hp, my new 2003 is 250 hp same everthing and my milage is 19.5 highway at speed of 65mph also same speed as 2001 just a little better.took truck to florida from ny last year and speed was 70 to 80 mph, watch mpg drop at 80 I got 17 t0 17.5 the cummins does not like high speeds for good fuel mpg.the 2003 is 13 months old and have 23000 on it now,still mpg is same from day one. cummins says no brake in needed so I guess thats why both 2001 and 2003 mpg was always the same from day one on.I here about people getting high 20s but I think they must not drive over 45 to 50 on highway . will be looking at the new ho with 325 hp next truck, would like to her some facts on mpg . ....

View my Photos
GOODREP

2004-08-01          92433

I have 154K on a 01 4X longbox ,I get 14-16 towing a 8x18 enclosed loaded. 18-20 with no load and the tailgate down. I have a van-aken box in it, no other mods.Torqe converter went at 120K , other than that its a good worker, auto trans 355 rear ....

View my Photos
tractorbrad

2004-08-01          92464

The best I have done so far on my 2000 3/4ton auto 3.54 gear truck has been 18.6 mpg. I have never seen twenty even on the turnpike. ....

View my Photos
dpdee13

2004-08-13          93395

2001.5 2500 4wd 6sp HO step II injectors and minor exhaust and intake mods. Have an Edge EZ but only run it as a boost fooler now.

74K to date, average 18.8 mpg so far.

I can get low 20's on extended runs if speed is kept below 75 mph. Low is usually low 16's during the winter running lots of 4wd.

Approx. 70% highway 30% local including DC/Baltimore traffic.

No complaints
Dave ....

View my Photos
tekdivergeil

2005-09-25          116859

The neat thing about diesel engines is that you can't run them too lean. The more air you put through them, the cooler they run, and the more power you make. With this information, it should be easy to see that anything that makes the engine breathe better, such as larger exhaust and intakes and most "power packs" (like the Banks systems) not only increase power, but torque and mileage as well. The downside is that a given engine design has only so many "horsepower-hours" in it. When you increase the power of the engine, you decrease its life span commensurately. If you take a 300 hp engine that is designed to go 400k miles before a rebuild, and make it put out 600 hp, it will only live about 200k miles. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-25          116867

In my opinion, the best option to obtain the best fuel economy is to try setting the cruise control on something between 45 & 50 mph. I set mine at about 47 mph as this seems to be the sweet spot for my truck. I realize that is a slow poke/poop along speed but I think you will be AMAZED at the mpg results. Remember........... as speed is doubled, resistance (drag) is squared. The point at which an optimum trade off between speed, drag, and fuel consumption is attained somewhere between 40 & 50 mph. At least in my experience it has.

A side benefit of driving this slow is that the stress level is nearly nonexistent as everyone else just zooms on by you. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-25          116880

I agree. I do a lot of driving on the paved secondary roads in the area and get the best milage at about 45 and 5th. If I put the computer on current mph reading and work the hills I can do better than with the cruise. ....

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-09-25          116888

In Arizona, if you drove 47 mph, the DPS would give you a ticket for impeading traffic. On the weekends, the traffic can be bumper to bumper for 50 miles outside of the city limits. At that speed, 4-5 people will try to pass at one time and force on coming traffic off the shoulder. Most 2 lane high ways here are 65mph with 75mph on the interstate. Even people that drive the speed limit get flipped off all the time. The interstates that run through Phoenix are 65mph and most everyone drives 75+. The police say it it safer to drive with the traffic. There is a law that if you have 4 or more vehicles behind you and you are driving slower than the limit, you must pull over at the next available spot and let traffic pass. ....

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-09-25          116890

As for milage on my Cummins. My 1997 2500 4X4 3.54 gears 265/75-16 tires 5 speed. Custom gound AFC plate and fuel wheel tweaked. 600 flbs of torque. 22-23 mpg hwy if I don't hot rod it and 16-17 mpg in town. Towing a 7000# trailer in the mountains it gets around 15-16 mpg. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-25          116896

I drive those speeds all the time. NEVER been issued a ticket. If 47 is too slow, they can pass. I do try to be courteous and allow other drivers by whenever possible. As for getting flipped off; just smile and wave. I think you've heard of the "Sticks and stones" addage. For the driver that feels motivated to take it beyond the flipping off. I'll just say that there would be 45 separated reasons I carry along that would possibly make that an idea better reconsidered. You might want to try it sometime. It is like beaming to another dimension. It is sooooo much better arriving at my destination relaxed and in good spirits as opposed to being wound tighter than a valve spring. Used to drive like that for years but finally came to the realization that life is too short to be P.O.'d and stressed out all the time. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2005-09-26          116938

Keep your tail gate up for best mileage. Surprisingly, wind tunnel tests and computer analysis have shown the tail gate up gives the least wind resistance due to a "bubble" of air in the bed causing air to ride over the bed. Tail gate down loses that "bubble". And a net tailgate is the worst of all. Check out this link. ....

Link:   tail gates and mileage

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-26          116944

Very good point! You think the opposite would be true. ....

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-09-26          116946

AZ is a lot different than TN. Much faster pace. People get shot here from road rage all the time. A major trucking company from AZ was taken to court many times because their trucks were set at a top speed of 60 mph. The courts made them set their trucks at 65 mph because 60 mph was proven to be an unsafe speed. Many accidents are caused by slow vehicles. I am a professional driver with 1.7 million safe miles driven on every major road in all lower 48 states, Canada and Mexico. I have seen first hand the death and destruction caused by idiots who were not patient enough to wait for a chance to pass safely. About 1 hour ago, I was driving 30 mph down my street on my way home from work. This is a 1 mile long residential street with a speed limit of 30 mph and a double yellow line the entire distance. 2 pickup trucks came up behind me and the first one rode my bumper at about 1/2 truck length away from me with their bright lights on for 1/4 mile and then turned onto a side road. The 2nd truck also rode my bumper for about a 1/4 mile a then flew past me only to turn onto another side road a couple of blocks later. People out here have no patients what so ever.
P.S. I know what it's like to drive slow. I drive 500 to 600 miles a night in 18 wheeler up an down mountain grades at 15 - 35 mph with people tailgating me with their bright lights in my mirrors all the time. They get so PO'd because I'm slowing them down that they will pass on blind curves and force oncoming traffic to pull over. I just can't wait to hit the big roads and get up to speed so I can relax! ....

View my Photos
Ym1110d

2005-11-11          119236

On my 96 215 5 speed, the best I've seen has been 22mpg. I usually got around 14 pulling 7,000lbs around 80mph. I'm now running a 305 series tire which seems to of hurt the milage slightly. I have not adjusted for the incorect speedo. Turning the engine up to around 450 rear wheel hp hasn't affected the milage any. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-12          119273

I have tested my 2000 Dodge and my 97 Ford trucks with the gate up and down. I saw no difference so I left them up. I am sure it relates to the areodynamics of the pickup. I am not sure that the older pickup did not give you an increase. I think I tested the 83 Ford and found some increase. ....

View my Photos
thrasher

2005-11-14          119338

I am showing 18.5 on the computer and about 17.5 w/ pencil. Althought have not had enough to average for only on my third tank. The truck has the cummins/6speedmanual/285-70-17 tires and not sure what he diff ratio is. I broke 1500 miles today. Have been fairly feather footed. I am about to experiment w/ Diesel power service additive. Says it has no alcohol, increases the cetane and reduces need for down shifts. We'll see. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login