Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
HuckMeat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-18          83560

How do most of you fill your tractors? Right now I'm building my house and only have a small shed, so I bring up a 5 gallon diesel can as I run errands. It works ok for filling my kubota, but there must be better/easier ways. What options do you guys recommend for stationary tanks, and what drawbacks/advantages are there?

Also, I suppose the diesel I use in my tractor could be tax exempt if I was using it in the tractor for agricultural work on my 50 acres. Is that the case? How different is this diesel from the diesel that comes out of the filling stations? Do I have a farm/fuel delivery stop by and top off my storage tank, and buy it without the excise taxes? Would that diesel work in pickup trucks/etc (farm related of course :)

m

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-19          83581

HuckMeat; yes I can understand your problem. In a year of use you probably would'nt consume a hundred gallon of fuel, so it hardly seems worth the effort to put up a permanent storage tank, but yet packing it in in 5 gal cans is a pain and messy too. Long term fuel storage can give you problems with water condensing on the inside of the tank and there is a mold of somekind that can live on fuel, I don't know much about it tho. I don't know about other states but in Iowa farm fuel is road tax exempt off the delivery truck and is dyed red. Once in a while the State DOT will set up a sting and wait along the road near salebarns, impliment stores and other places the farmers with diesel pickups frequent. Soon as the farmer pulls out onto the public road the DOT will pull them over and dip the fuel tank. If they find red fuel there is an awsome fine something like ten grand. Far as I know farm delivered fuel and truck stop fuel are the same stuff only during cold weather you can get winter blend probably easier at the truckstop rathere than the small amount you'd need for winter from the fuel truck. Hope this helps, Frank. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-19          83603

A common fuel filling trick around here is to use an old transport truck fuel tank with a few small modifications.

Basically the tank is built into a steel frame equipped with a a lifting ring, fuel hose and nozzle.

In use, the tank is put into a pickup for getting fuel, and taken back out, using a peice of chain off the FEL. To fill the tractor the tank is lifted just higher than the hood of the machine, gravity takes care of the rest. No muss, no fuss, no power source required.

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-19          83610

Take a look at my picture #3. It is a TSC 55 gallon tank with a GPI hand pump, filter, hose and nozzle. Works great and hold enough to last a good while. Also is a large enough quantity to justify signing up the paperwork for the off road farm diesel. Off road diesel can save you about 40 - 50 cents a gallon. The cost of the rig will take MANY years to pay for itself but for ease and no spills it is great. The 5 gallon cans are the cheapest way to go. I got my tank and pump used for $275, the filter was about $27, the wagon was $65, that ammo can was well, lets say a left over from my military days, and the rachet straps were about $5. You can purchase all of this at TSC. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-19          83612

I meant to mention that you can use a 30 or 55 gallon oil drum. They are not too difficult to move with a hand truck and strap. The 30 gallon drum is much easier to move. The drums are much cheaper than a tank. You can buy much cheaper pumps from Harbor Freight but they are kinda leaky. Just be sure to treat the diesel fuel with an anti-microbiocidal and good additive with a stabilizer to prevent biological contamination from setting or stale fuel. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-04-19          83620

I just use the old 5 gallon cans since I can't justify doing bulk. I use about 10 gallon or so a month but the cost of a nice setup and additives would probably negate the savings on off road diesel. I just suck it up and lift the can up and fill'er up. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
SmokinJo

2004-04-19          83628

I use a 55 gallon oil drum that I picked up free from my local quick lube joint. They normally give them away since they have no deposit on them. Then I picked up a pump from http://www.northerntool.com It works great! ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
trbomax

2004-04-23          84087

I have a 40 gal.aluminum tank mounted on the headrack of my trailer.A 12v pump on that to dispense. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-09          96040

1*I just use the old 5 gallon cans since I can't justify doing bulk.
2* the cost of a nice setup and additives would probably negate the savings on off road diesel.
3* I just suck it up and lift the can up and fill'er up.
kubotaguy
===============
1*Someone on here was saying you can save your receipts and send them in with a form and the state will refund you the tax you paid on the fuel. Have heard that's about 40 to 50 cents on the Gal.
2*It seams the consensus here is you need to use the additives be it on road off road or AG fuel.
3* I bought 2 five gal cans but I plan on putting only 2 gal in each one rather filling them up.
Much lighter and easier to handle that way.
When I get down to a quarter of a tank I can dump the treated fuel in to the tractor.
4 gal. will just about fill er up at the quarter mark.
While I'm running on the refill it gives me time to get to the station and reload the 2 cans with 2 gal. each & treat the fuel so it's ready by the time the tractor gets down to the refill point.
This winter I may go with 3 or 4 gallons per can or one could use a few additional 2 gal. cans in case you were to get snow bound or something and couldn't get out to get more fuel.

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-09-09          96045

lbrown59: you may find that your need for fuel is alot less than you think. I have gone 15+ hours on a single tank (5 gal) of fuel. These BX's are really fuel efficient! ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-09-09          96054

Being an ex-dirt-track racer, I use the same type of 5-gallon jug and funnel that we used to fuel the cars. The jugs have an easy to tote handle, sit up-right and have a large (3”) opening, with threaded cap (Very handy). The funnel is a “D-type” without the filter element. I believe the funnel mouth is about 12” to 14” diameter, so I rarely spill a drop.

As for the time between fill-ups, I get 2 full mowings plus some putz-ing around time on 5-gallons. So, I refill the jug every other week in the summer. Like AV8R, I’m getting somewhere between 14 and 16 Hours on 5-gallons.

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
Eight-N

2004-11-09          100100

I have a 300 gal. tank on a stand & a 300 gal. on on skids with a hand pump. The latter is for unleaded gas the stand tank for diesel. I get off road diesel for about $.50 per gallon cheaper, gas cost me about the same as at the station. I have not filled the diesel tank in 4 years and carry my fuel for my NH TC33D in five gallon plastic cans but can go to a distributer and get "Off Road" fuel at the bulk price. I use about 10 gallons a month, it is hardly worth $600 to fill my tank that would last 5 years and take too much stabilizer. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-28          128470

1*How do most of you fill your tractors? Right now I'm building my house and only have a small shed, so I bring up a 5 gallon diesel can as I run errands. It works ok for filling my kubota, but there must be better/easier ways. What options do you guys recommend for stationary tanks, and what drawbacks/advantages are there?

2*I suppose the diesel I use in my tractor could be tax exempt if I was using it in the tractor for agricultural work on my 50 acres.
Is that the case?
3*How different is this diesel from the diesel that comes out of the filling stations?
4*Do I have a farm/fuel delivery stop by and top off my storage tank, and buy it without the excise taxes?
5* Would that diesel work in pickup trucks/etc (farm related of course
m
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1* I'm planning to set up a 20 to 30 gallon tank with a pump and fuel filter on it.
2*The fuel isn't tax exempt because the tractor's used for agricultural work on your 50 acres. It's tax exempt because the tractor is not operated on the roads.
3*One is red the other is clear.
4*Around here they won't deliver less than 150 gallons. Would you use that much in a short enough period of time to prevent it from going stale? If not there are several ways to get around the Min Gallon requirement.
5*As long as you never took the pick up off the 50 acres. Get caught out on the road with it and your A is G.

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-28          128471

I meant to mention that you can use a 30 or 55 gallon oil drum. They are not too difficult to move with a hand truck and strap. The 30 gallon drum is much easier to move. The drums are much cheaper than a tank. You can buy much cheaper pumps from Harbor Freight but they are kinda leaky. Just be sure to treat the diesel fuel with an anti-microbiocidal and good additive with a stabilizer to prevent biological contamination from setting or stale fuel.
========
Good info CHIEF and I'd like to add just because you have a 55 or 30 gallon drum that don't mean that you have to fill it clear full .

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
lbrown59

2008-03-24          152379

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown59 | view 128470
[QUOTE=lbrown59;128470] 1* I'm planning to set up a 20 to 30 gallon tank with a pump and fuel filter on it.
[/QUOTE]1*I got my 30 gallon drum and pump up and running 2 days ago .
This was only 23 months after I posted the above.
Speedy ain't I ?

Picture of my unit > http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1358457-post81.html ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-03-25          152383

I buy off-road (red-colored) in five 5-gal plastic (metal invites condensation) fuel containers. Phone around to see who sells that in your area.

John Deere dealers sell a neat red plastic 2-gal can. I pour from the big to the small and use the small to fill the machine. Let me tell you about this container.

Fill it, turn it upside down, and no fuel comes out. Push it in the tractor filler opening so as to push the collar back and the fuel flows. When the tank it full it stops flowing. When you pull it out it doesn't leak. Only problem is the collar is sized for a garden-tractor filler neck, and I had to adhere a larger collar so it would work in my ag tractor. But I could still use it before I did that, by holding the container spout at the side of the intake opening so the collar would be pushed back and the whole spout didn't just go into the opening. Hope I'm reasonably clear. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-25          152389

I sure hope that drum is approved for petroleum products.

If it was a 'food grade' drum (from olive oil or something) it will have had a poly liner sprayed into it that the diesel will dissolve, if it doesn't leak, it will certainly gum up the fuel system of the tractor.

If it is lined with galvanizing the diesel will leach the zinc off the interior and clog the pump and injectors as it deposits there.

If you only use a drum temporarily for storage, or transport, it isn't very critical, but anything that is used for long term storage of petroleum products MUST be approved for petroleum products.

Similarly there is a required DOT standard (stamped into the drum) if it is used to transport petroleum products. Getting caught will at the least result in a filling station refusing to fill it, or an official telling you to find another way to get it home. In a worst case scenario, you would be held responsible if there was a leak or other accident.

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Filling Supply

View my Photos
lbrown59

2008-03-25          152400

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 152383
I buy off-road (red-colored) in five 5-gal plastic (metal invites condensation) fuel containers. Phone around to see who sells that in your area. John Deere dealers sell a neat red plastic 2-gal can. I pour from the big to the small and use the small to fill the machine. Let me tell you about this container.Fill it, turn it upside down, and no fuel comes out. Push it in the tractor filler opening so as to push the collar back and the fuel flows. When the tank it full it stops flowing. When you pull it out it doesn't leak. Only problem is the collar is sized for a garden-tractor filler neck, and I had to adhere a larger collar so it would work in my ag tractor. But I could still use it before I did that, by holding the container spout at the side of the intake opening so the collar would be pushed back and the whole spout didn't just go into the opening. Hope I'm reasonably clear.

Click here / see picture: Picture of my unit > http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1358457-post81.html

The hose that comes off the pump and curves up to the ceiling is an extra 13 foot long hose I tied into the suction hose that runs between the drum and the pump.
It's the hose you see running between the wall outlet and the fuse box.

I installed this hose specifically to avoid having to lift and pour out of anything.

What I would do in your case with the cans is simply insert the hose in the can or cans and pump the fuel right out of them.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login