Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel fuel w Cetane of 50

View my Photos
b8fish
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-06          73275

Being new to diesel engines and the manual on my 2210 stating cetane number of 40, 50 preferred. I went looking around and can find only 40 rated fuels at the local pumps, seems like I would need to add an awful lot of "cetane boost" additive to get the number up to 50 (the PS stuff I have boosts 6 numbers at double dose). Any thoughts or suggestions? With the WNY weather about to go below 0 I started thinking about this and thought I'd ask the experts!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-06          73285

Speaking for my JD 4310, here the temperature is in the mid-teens and I use 40 cetane diesel fuel from the service station with a regular dose of PS. The tractor starts just like it's summertime. I do keep it in the garage though. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-06          73288

He is some microminutia on Premium diesel which what you are talking about. Europe requires 50 cetane diesel in most countries. Why not is the states is beyond me. Direct injection diesels are so much quieter with higher cetane fuel.

Link:   PREMIUM DIESEL

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-06          73289

Supposedly Standyne and John Deere Summer Formula Diesel Conditioner are the best at raising cetane number. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-06          73290

I think over the next few years we'll see those cetane numbers rise here in the states. With the increasing numbers of diesel vehicles on the road and tightening emissions standards it's just a matter of time. ....

View my Photos
b8fish

2004-01-06          73292

Thanks guys. Is it worth it to use extra "booster" to get up to 50, or just use a standard dose for conditioning and get the slight cetane boost at the same time? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-06          73293

I think it's sort of a "whatever works" thing. You might start with a double dose, then try a single dose and see if there's a noticable difference. The directions may specify different doses based on special conditions. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-06          73311

Like Ken was eluding to; experiment and see what makes it run the quietest. The Yanmars can have a horrible combustion knock with crappy fuel. That is a reason I run an additive in my 4410. It does help to quiet the engine down some. Try different brands and see what works for you. ....

View my Photos
kevinj54

2004-01-07          73331

If you have a BP/Amoco nearby, check them out. The Amoco premier and power blend fuels are 50 minimum. I have used them for 30 year without the need for treatment. The fuel has most all the stuff in it that the additive provides. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-08          73492

I'll have to check into that. My local BP/Amoco sells only the 40 cetane diesel. I wish they had the Premium diesel. I would like to try it and compare. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-09          73512

Around here, if a gas station carries diesel at all, it is in single grade in one pump. I have never seen or heard of premium diesel fuel, but I would buy it if I could find it.

I got my math all screwed up and added WAY more additive than the bottle recommends during the last fueling on my 4115.

For The moment I have a very happy little Yanmar. ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-01-15          74099

Hi guys. Not only am I new to this board but, I'm also new to CUT's and Diesel fuel. I'm in New Hampshire where its been below zero alot lately. This discussion on Cetane # and cold temperatures has me checking my manual. It says that I should use a cetane # of 40 minimum and the fuel should be grade # 2-D above 40 degrees F and grade # 1-D below 40 degrees F. I have to assume the fuel I bought at the pump is at least a cetane 40 but, how do I know its grade? Also, my manual says that if the tractor is to be operated in cold weather the cloud point should be 10 degrees F below the lowest normal air temp. What's up with that? What is a neophyte to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-15          74100

Rather than type a bunch of stuff you are not likely to entirely read; here is a good source of info. for the questions you ask. ....

Link:   Diesel Fuels Technical Review

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-01-16          74136

Thanks Chief. There certainly is a lot of useful info in that link. It will give me a great lesson in diesel fuel.

After reading another post concerning fuel conditioner I guess I'll stop by my local JD dealer and see what they recommend.

Gotta go there anyway because of a couple of new toys I'm getting.

Thanks again,
NHDaveD ....

View my Photos
JDMLM2210

2004-08-07          92940

I am new to the board and to diesel also. I have a JD2210 and hve read on this board to use Power Service I have seen 2oz to 5gals and 3oz to 5gals being a newbe what would be the best amount to boost the Cetane and lube the injectors ect. Any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Mark ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-07          92948

I regularly use .6 oz. per gallon for the max. 6 pt. cetane boost. Seems to help reduce combustion noise. ....

View my Photos
JDMLM2210

2004-08-10          93182

Chief
So I would used 15oz of PS for my 5 gal tank on my 2210 Also do you use just the Cetane boost or the injector cleaner with the cetane boost
Mark ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-10          93183

I need to pay closer attention to my typing. ;o) The directions call for about .6 oz. per gallon for the max cetane boost. It is about 3 0z. per 5 gallon container. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-10          93184

At .6oz per gallon, that would be 3oz for 5 gallons. That is the mixture I have always used also. ....

View my Photos
JDMLM2210

2004-08-10          93185

Thanks,
3oz it is

Thanks again
Mark ....

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-08-17          93733

Guys,

I've been following some of your discussions about additives etc, and stopped by my dealer today to get his take. He feels that as long as I use "pump purchased" diesel fuel, I don't have to worry about additives. If I were to use home heating oil, then it would be a different story. Do you all agree with this?

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210 ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-17          93740

Do you have to use it? No. But you may find that it really quiets combustion noise, provides better lubrication for you fuel system components, and prevents damage that may be caused by old or moisture contaminated fuel. For the very small additional cost I think additives are worth it. A quiet engine is a happy engine. ....

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-08-17          93765

Thanks kwschumm,

That's what I needed to hear. Additives will become a routine part of my refueling process.

Cheers!

JDFANATIC
JD2210 ....

View my Photos
JDMLM2210

2004-09-03          95494

Just a little follow up . I refuled this time and use Power service. I could not belive how quiet the motor was and very little smoke. It even seem to move a little quicker.I will be adding it from now on
thank for the info
mark ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-03          95502

JDMLM2210, are you using the Power Service in the Silver or White bottle? ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-03          95506

Is anyone out there only running home heating oil?

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-03          95512

Bad idea. Will it burn in a diesel? Yes, but it has no additives to ensure the oil meets the minimum 40 cetane requirement (in Europe it is 50 cetane)and there are no fuel system additives as well. Buy off road agriculture diesel instead. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-03          95517

If you added a healthy dose of Power Sevice, that should bump it up, and help in other places it may lack???

Just wondering if it has been done and how there engine ran.. I'm guessing good and rough.

I'm just thinking worst case and you dont have a store of diesel, and you need it...

View my Photos
dsg

2004-09-03          95535

According to my local supplier There is no difference between Diesel and #2 home heating fuel except the state tax. Off road diesel looks the same as home heating but is taxed, On Road has a green dye and is taxed even higher. It is a good idea to use power service additive for higher octane and injector cleaner. My dealer cuts the diesel fuel 60/40 with kerosen in winter months to prevent gelling. I have a 275 gal. tank filled twice a year for fuel for my tractor, I always add the appropreate amount of Power service and my tractor has run fine for 1785 hours.

David

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-03          95548

Off road diesel is NOT the same thing as No. 2 heating oil. Off Road Agriculture Diesel is NOT taxed. Off Road Diesel has sales taxes applied to it. Below is the typical additive package that goes into No. 2 diesel. These additives are NOT placed in No. 2 heating oil with the expections of some additives such as a de-ice, anti-gel, and handling additives. ....

Link:   Diesel Fuel Additives

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-09          96031

If you use Power Service Do you need Sta-bul too? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96032

I put Stabil in my diesel but I buy in bulk and it may take a year or so to totally use it all up. If you buy enough fuel that you will use in 6 months. I don't think you need to add Stabil although it would not hurt. The Power Service I believe has a fuel stabilizer in it as well. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-09          96035

What I don't understand is why the service stations don't offer the different grades-types of diesel at the pumps just like they do with gasoline?

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96036

Just not enough demand to justify the cost of marketing different grades. The overwhelming majority of automobiles are gasoline operated. When diesel autos become more popular, I bet you will see premium grade 50 cetane diesel readily available. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-09          96037

They do here in Canada at certain retailers, Sunoco for instance does. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-09-09          96074

I actually found a place close to me that sells 45 cetane !!
I'll take that any day over 40 cetane. I doubt I have any 50 cetane stations near me however...

Duc ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login