Go Bottom Go Bottom

Whiny Hydrostat after fluid change

View my Photos
a2hockeydad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-12          68588

I just changed my hydro fluid and now my tranny is extremly noisy. I went the cheap route and picked up 10gal at Sams club. It stated on the bucket that it met the NH
spec that was listed in my manual. I changed the fluid and both hydro filters and now it whines more than two year old at the cash register. The TC29D takes almost 9 gal of hydro fluid, can someone recomend a synthetic fluid that will make me a happy camper again? Please help longtime reader few time poster.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-12          68592

I have often stated that I believe that the low hours of use often make the syntetic oils extremely expensive as you are taking out oil that is not bad from use but from age and the moisture from condinsation. ....

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-12          68599

May be some air in the system. Does your reservoir supply the power steering and FEL/3PH too? You may have to cycle the steering/FEL and 3PH completely several times, check fluid level to make sure it is to mfg. specs. If there are a lot of bubbles on the stick you almost certainly have air trapped in the system.
Hope this helps,
bliz ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-12          68601

I only know of two synthetic HST fluids on the market and would only use one of them.

The first is Chevron All Weather. I would be happy to E-mail the spec sheet to you.

The other is Amsoil. Hold onto your wallet if you look it up. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-13          68629

I wonder if it whines at idle, in general or only under heavy loads. HST relief valves do open under heavy loads and there's a chance that a different oil might change where the relief valve opens a bit.

Another possibility is that a cheap route also included cheap on the filters and they weren't an adequate cross-reference. A filter with inadequate flow may act like a suction line obstruction and cause pump cavitation. I haven't experienced it myself as far as I know but cavitation often sounds more like a rattle while relief valves sound more like whines.

There's a chance the whine could be a normal sound but the problem should be sorted out if there's a chance that it's a relief valve or pump cavitation under normal operating conditions. I'd get a read on the sound from somebody who would recognize normal from abnormal sounds for the tractor. If it's normal and I just didn't like the sound I'd be tempted to go back to factory everything and look for somebody who does their own undercoating who might be happy for the barely used oil. ....

View my Photos
a2hockeydad

2003-11-13          68659

I only went cheap on the fluid.Hydro fluid is fluid right? The filters were new holland overpriced filters. Does anyone know of acceptable cross referenced filters for the TC29D? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-13          68664

"Hydro fluid is fluid right?"

Yes it is, presuming it all meets the required spec.'s.

However, each fluid manufacturer also has there own 'secret recipe' of additives that they include as well.

Yours would not be the first 'finicky' machine I have encountered over the years.

The six speed tranny in my Ford truck is supposed to be filled with Mercon ATF according to the manufacturer, when I changed the fluid in it I used Shell's equivalent. It immediately starting making different sounds than it had made since new. I drained it and refilled it with the Amsoil synthetic equivalent, no it doesn't make any sounds at all. Go figure.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
bobfromny

2003-11-13          68668

I just changed my entire TC33D over to Amsoil Synthetic. I am absolutely thrilled. Mine has 50 hours on it since others in the forum suggested I wait for the engine to break in. A friend of mine also did his and is very happy. It was not cheap but it took all the whine out of the hydraulics, tranny and power steering. All you hear now is the engine running. I know it is expensive, but I figured with $20K invested in a tractor and implements, $200-$300 to change it all over to Amsoil was well worth it. Plus I live in cold weather so the hydro will be better in the winter.

Bob

View my Photos
austros

2003-11-15          68803

Why risk any problems with a new machine that's under warranty and give the dealer the chance not to help you out if there is a problem later. The couple extra bucks spent on the dealer parts are not going to be that much. In fact my green dealer gave me a deal by buying the filters and fluid in bulk, so I stocked up for the parts needed for the first two years. Proper maintenance and service will make your machine last and give good value for many years. You know best how to fill your needs. Hope it works out for you. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-25          69646

a2hockeydad, what was the final call on the whining hydro? Did you get the problem fixed? ....

View my Photos
Paul

2003-11-26          69669

I just used the tractor last night and still whining. I start whining at the thought of spending $150-200 on hydraulic fluid from the Amsoil man. Are there any affordable solutions for synthetic? Under $100. $20000 for a tractor and whining about a couple hundred bucks. Another year of paymnents and its all mine, when I'm not spending $350 a month on payments maybe the wife will understand the cost of fluid. Thanks for the great info everyone. I wonder if I can return the empty buckets of fluid to sams complaining that the fluid is not a direct replacement for new holland spec oil? Just a thought. I hate to burn another $20 worth of oil on my brush pile. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69685

If you go with Amsoil you bet you are gonna pay that much. I paid about $25 a 6 gallon case for John Deere Hygard which is the spec fluid for my tractor. I would suggest you go with the spec. fluid. you will not change it again for a VERY long time and it will perform just fine for you. Chevron makes very good conventional and synthetic fluids that you can cross reference but if you are stuck on Amsoil; I buy from a gal who gives me dealer pricing. I can give you her number and you can order what you want. If you purchased the oil at Sam's I would bet you can drain the oil put it back in the buckets and take it back to Sam's and get a refund. You tractor came with the spec fluid in it and you were satisfied with the performance......why change to something that may or may not work as well or at all? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69701

Here is a link to a suitable synthetic trans/hyd. oil. You should be able to purchase this at a local Chevron petroleum distributor. Check your phone book under this listing. ....

Link:   Chervon Synthetic All Weather THF

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login