Go Bottom Go Bottom

newbie question gas vs diesel

View my Photos
bob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-31          4526

I have been looking for a used tractor for some light dirt and gravel work and possibly some occasional brush hog. I have seen some "gas" tractors advertised and I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages would be. In my ignorance I thought all "real" tractors were diesel. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paul

1999-05-31          4527

The dealer explained it to me thisway. The diesel has about 3 times more horsepower than the same size gas. Or a 15hp diesel does the same work as a 45 hp gas. ....

View my Photos
RickB.

1999-05-31          4528

You have either grossly misunderstood your dealer's comments, or he has no idea what he is talking about, because that statement has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-31          4531

I agree....the dealer has no idea what he is saying..But, are you sure that whatyou heard is what he actually said??....Because I do agreethat an 18 HP compact tractor (which are always diesel, by the way) will surelydo at least three times the work of an 18 HP lawn tractor (which is usually agasoline engine). And that is a conservative estimate. Perhaps this comparisonis the one that the dealer meant to make. As to why the all of the compact tractors are diesels, I couldn't tell you. It is certainly possible to design a gasoline engine with similar performance.It might be because of the popular perception that diesels are more powerful coupled with the fact that many of the compacts are designed for the third worldmarket where diesel is the fuel of choice. Diesel does have more energy pervolume than gasoline, but the downside is that the engines have to be made verystout to extract this energy. Personally, I would lean toward a gasoline engine in a compact tractor just because the diesels are too loud for my taste. And if you look at the utility farm tractors of the 50s and 60s there were some excellent models made to burn gasoline. But at this time I am not aware of any compact tractor that isoffered with a gasoline engine. Roger L ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-31          4534

When it comes to compact tractors, just about everything manufactured in recent memory is deisel. Diesels generally produce more torque at lower RPMs (when compared to gas engines). For this reason, they are more suitable for use in tractors. Older gas tractors are easy to work on. Nothing exotic. From what you have described, an old Ford 8N or 9N should do you just fine. If you buy it right you can use it for years and make money when you sell it. ....

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-05-31          4535

I find that the diesels have more torque and power, better fuel consumption than the gas powered equipment, plus the diesels well out last the gas engine 2 to 1. I've been selling my gas powered equipment, tractors, and vehicles, and going to diesels here on the farm. Even my F250 pick up is a Powerstroke diesel which well out pull my F350 460 ci gas. The only things left on the farm that are gas powered is my F350, grain truck, and my push lawn mower. As I get a little more money, these well be sold or traded for diesels, acept, maybe the push mower. I personaly feel diesel is the only way to go.
AJ's BigBird Farm

View my Photos
Stan in NE PA

1999-05-31          4538

It's also my understanding that diesel engines would run for longer periods of time with far less wear. How many big rigs do you see parked with the engines running? ....

View my Photos
bob

1999-05-31          4543

Are 8N and 9N "older gas tractors"? (I realize I am exposing my ignorance here but I see these tractors advertised a lot but I have not really looked into the specs.) ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-31          4561

Just about as old as I am. Most were made in the 40s. The good news is that they run forever, there are a lot of them out there, they take Cat 1 implements, parts are available, they are simple to work on, and they are generally available in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. In there day they were revolutionary. A lot of farmers feed their families with one. Most of the deisel compacts available today will run circles around an 8N or 9N. But they are still capable tractors well suited to mowing and moving a little dirt around. Go to [www.ytmag.com] and click on "Forums." You will see a board divoted to the 8N and 9N. Also, most of the chain bookstores will have something on old Ford tractors (and others as well). Look in the "Transportation" section. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-31          4564

Yes, they are the very definition of "older gas tractor". A very similar tractorare the MF TO-20 and TO-30. THese were all real fine tractors.You can pick up a real nice one for $2500 and a perfect one for under $4000.They didn't adapt to a loader real well because of their weight balance and the steering was a bit hard....but they had an excellent motor, tranny,PTO, and three point hitch. They are still hard to beat for a small 3-pt. chore tractor. Roger L. ....

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-31          4568

I agree with you about the old Fergusons and 8Ns. I have a 48 model Ferguson TE20 which works greatfor driveway work and light bush hogging. It pulls a 16 blade Disc harrow ok, but you cant bury it to the frame! Im retiring mine because I want a loader and 4WD. You cant beat em for a 1st tractor though. No, not all real tractors are diesel. We also have a Farmall Super A, which a fine farm tractor. I would be very leary of any old model tractor that is diesel, Maintenance costs can be very high, and you could be buying someone elses problems. Just my 2 cents Mike ....

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-31          4569

Sounds like something a salesman would say, rather than a mechanic. Diesels produce thier most power (in Hp and torque) usually at lower rpm's than gas engines. The torque curve also tends to be flatter. These characteristics are ideally suited to the tractor since most work is performed at slow speeds and slow engine speeds. 15 horsepower is 15 horsepower, whether it comes from a diesel or gas engine. Deisel engines are more complicated and more expensive to work on as a rule of thumb. If you are buying a tractor from the 40's, 50's or 60's, get a gasoline engine! Mike ....

View my Photos
Rich

1999-06-01          4576

I started with an "old" MF TO35 which I picked up for $2200 with loader attached. I took the loader off and used it for ten years or so with a used rotary cutter ($250). The tractor gave me good service but I wasted a lot of time fiddling with the carburetor and electrical system. I also had the crankshaft ground and put in a new set of bearings and new clutch plates at a very reasonable price. I got a lot of work out of that old Massey for little money, but it took far too much of my time keeping it going. Four years ago I bought a used Ford 1900 diesel with only 500 hours on it. I would never go back to a gas tractor for many reasons. The non volatile fuel is safer to have around and goes farther. It took me a while to get used to the clattery engine noises (sounds like its coming apart at low rpms. But its so great to have a tractor that always STARTS even on the coldest morning (thank you glow plug) and will run for about 5000 trouble free hours if I take care of it. Thats my two cents worth, good luck. ....

View my Photos
Lee

1999-06-01          4608

My brother runs a Ford 801 ('58 vintage, gas @ 50hp) all of the time. He's had to tinker with it some, but on the whole runs real real good. The early Ford numbered series (601's and on) are a good bet if you want to get something a bit more modern than a "N" series. I believe that they are mechanically modern (i.e. fits most SAE specs) where there are some differences with the earlier "N" series. One thing for sure, you won't run short on parts for either and I do not believe that there is a more common 'antique' tractor than a "N," which keeps its price low (and value high).Lee ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-06-01          4623

Rich, do you think that the difference is that the Ford is diesel and theMassey is gas....or is it that the Ford had 500 hours against the Massey being30 years older with maybe 5000 hours? Your comment to the effect that the old TO35 gave you a lot of work atlittle cost, but eventually just used up too much of your time makes a lot ofsense. I had been looking for some way to say this very thing to several people.Thanks for the words. Roger L ....

View my Photos
Keith Boyd

1999-06-02          4642

For the guy who is going to all diesel equipment, I want to mention that Polaris now has a diesel four wheeler, if you happen to need/want one on the farm. They are pricey. Haven't seen one up close yet, but I would like to. They are on the Polaris web page at www.polarisindustries.comKeith ....

View my Photos
Rich

1999-06-02          4666

The age probably had a lot to do with it. I suspect that completly rebuilding the electrical system would have helped a lot. I still have the old Massey in my shed and someday will rebuild it completely just to have as second tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login