Go Bottom Go Bottom

cold start

View my Photos
Ron K
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-30          44452

I have a new John Deere 4010 . When I start it in the after sitting over night it belches smoke and misses for the first few minutes. After that it runs fine. It does this even when its 80 degrees outside. The john Deere dealer said I might have gotten some bad fuel.I'm going to run it out before I refill it. Anyone else heard of this

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

cold start

View my Photos
JJT

2002-10-30          44456

Why not drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel? There is no way I would continue to run questionable fuel in my $20K+ tractor. If my diesel cans sit around for more than a few weeks I dump them into my fuel oil tank and make sure the Kubota always has fresh fuel, (and winter conditioned now that things have cooled off). ....

cold start

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-31          44481

I don't think what is described is normal. When a diesel is adequately pre-heated and the throttle is cracked even a 1/4 on warm days (more when it's colder). They catch immediately and run smoothly but with a bit of gray smoke and louder knocking for a few seconds. It's not good to crank like a diesel like a gas engine if it's not going to start.

Bad fuel is possible, but so is a bad glow plug or faulty injector. The description also is what happens when I haven't bled the fuel lines enough after changing the fuel filter. However, many newer injector pumps are self-bleeding.

If it's new the dealer should help set it right whether it's something on the tractor or whether it's novice operating technique.

cold start

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-31          44485

Ron, you don't say what colour the smoke is, and with 'infernal combustion' engines (as my Grand-father called them) the colour is very telling indeed.

I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say that the smoke is greyish-white and not black or blue. If this is the case the problem is not quite fuel-related, at least not related to the quality of fuel. It is a problem called 'cavitation', basically what is happening inside your fuel pump is same as that which you would notice around the propeller of an outboard motor, the prop is turning in a combination of air and liquid. In your case the diagnosis is simple, next time you start your machine, as soon as it catches, rev it up just slightly (maybe 1500 rpm) for a few seconds. My money says the situation clears up almost the second you touch the throttle, the increased rpm's cause the increased fuel to overcome the air-entrainment situation.

This problem was fairly common with Ford P/U's with the first generation Power Stroke's in them. I'm not sure of the exact cause but our pump repair shop says it's likely caused by the tight pump causing too much suction for the amount of fuel available at startup, the fuel may be draining back to the tank slightly, also adding to the problem.

Best of luck. ....

cold start

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-31          44486

My 4100 did the same thing on its second tank of fuel. I found a product at Napa Auto Parts call 85 Plus, I was amazed. Literally within 2 minutes it stopped smoking and rattling and started sounding like a sewing machine. If you try it, use at least the "clean up dose" as a starting point. ....

Link:   

Click Here

cold start

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-11-04          44614

I will give it a shot Mark, thanks. ....

cold start

View my Photos
DH83

2002-11-05          44618

Ron I would make the dealer test all the injectors,what I
have seen on big trucks is when it sits over night the bad
injector will drip the on piston and puddle,then when you go
to start the engine it smokes and knocks from the puddle of
fuel sitting on the piston.Also the misfire is because
the injector lost its prime from leaking all night.
The dealer will be able to detect this during a "leak down
test"on the test stand. No way should your diesel smoke&
mis at 80 degress.My 4310 starts and purrs like a kitten
at 25 degrees with no preheat. Good luck ....

cold start

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-05          44627

Two thoughts: Bad fuel may be more common than most of us think. It really pays to buy fuel someplace where there is a high volume turnover, even if it is out of your way to do so.
No matter how good your diesel engine runs, I would be willing to bet it will run better using 85 Plus. A five dollar bottle treats as much as 100 gallons and it replaces the lubricants removed from the fuel with the reduction in sulfer content. I am sure there are other products out there that will do a similar job. This one happens to be made from synthetic components. ....

cold start

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-06          44656

I use a fuel additive as well. It's one with injector stuff, pump lubricant and anti-gel. It's supposed to get down below 10F tonight so I'm happy the additive is there and I've started mixing #1 diesel with the remains of my summer #2.

I'm not certain how necessary extra pump lubricant is for newer diesels. The pumps may have been re-engineered since my mid-80's Ford to tolerate low-sulfur fuel. I figure the additive is a good idea for my Ford and probably doesn't hurt anything even if it's not necessary.

cold start

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-11-07          44721

MARK H
I stopped by 3 NAPA auto parts stores and ALL 3 said that the 85 Plus stuff is something that is not on the NAPA products list. Whatever NAPA store you are getting yours at is something they are are buying as an individual store not as the NAPA group. I tracked down another local store and they sell it for 5.25 for a 12 oz bottle.

jeff r ....

cold start

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-07          44727

I just put some in the new BX. I get one puff of smoke when it starts and it runs totally clean after that. Sounds like a sewing machine. Like the 4100, the diesel rattle is gone and I can hear the valve train, which is the loudest sound it makes. ....

cold start

View my Photos
Morgann

2003-04-05          52647

If my diesel engine sounded like a sewing machine I'd take it down for an overhaul. Or use in on my overalls. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login