Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
Doug in PA
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-26          4326

Is there a difference between red dyed kerosene and diesel fuel? I can get the red dyed kerosene for less than the diesel so i would prefer to use the cheaper alternative if possible.By the way, this board has been very helpful and I appreciate everyones time and effort helping us "newbies". Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
mike

1999-05-26          4334

Never heard of red dyed kerosene. There is red dyed diesel you can buy (off road) that is cheaper than the clear stuff (on road--taxed). If you can get off road diesel I would recommend it over any of that kerosene stuff. Kerosene is normally mixed with diesel during cold weather and normally is not used straight. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-05-26          4343

I think that would be false econonmy. Diesel fuel has additives both for lubricating the valves & injector pump. Cheap fuel can cost alot in repairs. You don't want to skimp on quality fuels & oils on a diesel, because you'll eventually pay for them. I just had an injector pump & 6 injectors rebuilt for a tractor. The bill was $1900. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

1999-05-26          4348

The lower priced farm fuel is not inferior to the higher priced diesel, it just lacks the taxes that are applied to road fuel. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
mike

1999-05-26          4364

Everbody around here uses the "cheap" farm off-road fuel in their tractors for years. So have I. And nobody I know of has ever had any injector or pump failures from it. More than likely dirt or water caused your pump failure--I guarantee it! ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
bill

1999-05-26          4368

Fellas,Hate to tell ya, but the died off road diesel, on road diesel (taxed) and home heating fuel all come from the same tank at the local depot. The only difference is the color and price. I have watched them dump the die in! ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
bill

1999-05-26          4369

Doug,My New Holland and my diesel truck manuals both recomend D1 which is died kerosene, once the temp drops below 0 F. So yes it is normally used straight, and is only a more refined version of D2, which is unwinterized diesel. Less waxes and the like. That is why it works better in winter. There isn't as much BTU content left after refining, so economy will suffer a little. Clean fuel is more important than anything.By the way, diesel, heating fuel and off road diesel all come from the same tank here locally at the depot. Just a color added to heating and off road, nothing else. And of course the taxes to the undied stuff! ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
Frank

1999-05-26          4370

Just read the comment that diesel, both off and on-road, "all come from the same tank". Well, here in South Carolina that's not true. Yesterday I talked with the North Augusta terminal where all the fuel tankers go to get their fuel. The man in charge of the terminal told me that the on-highway diesel always tests at less than 0.05% sulfur (I believe that's a federal regulation) and the last time he tested dyed off-road diesel, it tested at 0.19% sulfur. He also tells me that the fuel comes to the terminal via the pipeline and the off-road fuel comes through the pipeline already dyed red. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-05-26          4371

I think you all missed the point. I use farm fuels in my tractors (I've been farming for almost 30 years) & have been told by injector pump rebuilders that they(FS, COOP, etc) are superior to alot of the other diesel fuels available. Alot of the others are just #1 or #2 fuel oil. The question was not farm fuel vs. road fuel, it was kerosene vs diesel fuel. I mentioned the repair cost to stress that pump repair can be expensive. That to save a few cents per gallon may not be sound economics. The rebuilder told me that with 5000 hours on injectors & pump it was due for a rebuild. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
Norm

1999-05-27          4390

Let me throw my two cents in - I have recently researched this somewhat and here is what I found. There is a slight difference between home heating and diesel. Home heating, and for that matter off road diesel have higher sulphur content. This higher sulpher content does two things, one good the other bad. The higher sulphur content increases the lubricity of the fuel and is the reason why - especially in the early days of low sulphur fuel in '903 and '94 - injectors and fuel pumps started experiencing early failures. Low sulphur fuels now have additives to improve the lubrication and injectors and pumps are made with newer material o-rings, gaskets, etc. The down side of high sulphur fuel (aside from increased sulphur in the air) is that due to crankcase oil contamination by the fuel and any existing water there is an increase in sulphuric acid which will cause pre-mature bearing corrosion. The answer to this is what was always done - change your oil more regularly: half the interval recommended for low sulphur fuel. As far as straight kero, you will pay a price in decreased hp. Better to use a #2 fuel with a winterizing additive such as DEE-ZOL, available from world resources (no, I don't get a cut - I'm just familiar with their product and they are very helpful. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
Norm

1999-05-27          4391

Let me also point out that the additive will also disperse water which is the real culprit. Water in diesel not only reacts with the sulphur to form sulphuric acid, it causes the growth of bacteria that results in sludge. As someone else mentioned, water and the resultant acid and sludge is without a doubt the cause of fuel system problems. Here is the bottome line: keep your fuel clean, dry, fresh. If you are using red dyed fuel, change your oil more frequently. Use a winterizing/water dispersing additive such as DEE-ZOL+ to stabilize the fuel and to reduce the winter cloud point (DO NOT use alcohol as you would in gasoline!!!). Kero will burn, but with less btu output and the resultant drop in hp - use an additive to increase lubricity. ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
Norm

1999-05-27          4392

Here is their web site (I am always happy to pass on the names of outfits that are helpful):http://www.worldresourcesltd.com/cfi.html ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
tracy

1999-05-27          4413

Yes there is a difference between red dyed kerosene and diesel fuel, you are dealing with 3 different products. The EPA has federal regulated the fuels and additives (part 80 of code of federal regulations title 40) reduced the allowable sulfur content level of on highway diesel fuel from and aprox average of .25 percent by weight to a maximum of .05 persent by weight. They also require that on-highway diesel fuel have either a minimum cetane index specification of 40 or meet a maximum aromatic level of 35 persent. The guy that said it all the same product is wrong, a lot of companys sell # 1 stove oil dyed as (kerosene) there is a difference in kerosene and K-1 Kerosene also with the taxes on products and the reporting of taxes.If you look at your options you can either run the on road product and pay the road taxes or run the dyed product(which has more sulfur more lubricity good thing) I run the dyed off road diesel, I would not run kerosene or # 1 stove oil unless its realy cold then it would only be a 50-50 mix which would take the cold filter plug point down to about -40 below that i am not running my tractor.Hope this helps tracy ....

Kerosene vs Diesel

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-15          5150

Doug,I also live in PA, (Allentown) you know, the Billy Joel Song! Anyway, I think you meant Red Dyed (off-road) diesel, not Kerosene. At least around here, there is noquality difference between the diesel fuels, only color. After reading this post, I have asked aroundabout Red Kerosene. No-one ever heard of it. They all said, "you mean Off Road Diesel?" The dye serves one purpose..ROAD TAX!It was started because guys (mainly construction) were putting large tanks in the ground at home/business, Having the local fuel man pump NON taxed off-road fuel into it, and driving their 18 Wheelers/tri-axles on it. but stating that they were only using in thier dozers & excavators. With almost no way to prove otherwise.The red dye tells all at a D.O.T. stop.All the talk about sulfur and other stuff is probably true, but has no relationship to this topic. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login