Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
Rod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-09          23237

This isn't directly a tractor question, but relating to fuel (gas or diesel) economy. I recently purchased a new F150, replacing a Ford Ranger that just wasn't big enough. One of the 'after market options' being offer along with the usual undercoating, paint sealer, fabric sealer being offered was an item called a fuel mag. Appearantly a magnet that clips on the fuel line just before entering the fuel injection system. The claim was 15%-20% increase in gas mileage. Installed for the low/low price of about $300 U.S. Has any one heard of this 'thing'? Sounds very suspect to me. Just to make this a tractor question, would such a device also work on a diesel tractor?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
charlie

2001-01-09          23238

i've seen them in harbor frieght and northern for a lot less money.good luck ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-01-09          23239

Rod, I came across a person selling something simular about 10-years ago. Was some type of thing to attach to the fuel line and was to take out possitive/negitive charge in the fuel or something along that line. That person told me that a city in my State, Portland, Maine had placed them in all of they're city trucks (water department) or something, to see if it really worked. I never heard another thing about it and have never thought about it untill your post. Maybe because it didn't work out so well? That person was selling them for around 20 or $30. David ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-01-09          23241

Rod, I could hook you up with my brother-in-law. He was selling magnets for all sorts of things. One for your water pipes, one for your car fuel line, one for your wrists and so on. They were around $300 as well, and he probably has some left at bargain prices. Consider this, Detroit struggles to meet EPA goals in it's vehicles every year. If those things worked, every car would have one and Al Gore could stop trying to force everyone (except himself) to drive a roller skate. I haven't seen any in the hospitals on heart patients eather. I can't believe a legitimate dealer would try and sell that type of thing to someone. The $200.00 fabric protectant that costs them $2.00 to spray on the seat is bad enough. I have a relative that is a doctor of anthropology, he says don't buy the sonic bug repellers that plug into the walls eather. Hope this helps. ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-01-09          23248

Rod, after you order the fuel mag, e-mail me, I've a good deal for you on some ocean front property in Arizona. ;) ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2001-01-09          23250

Can you say "snake oil"? ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
RCH

2001-01-09          23253

A veternarian friend of mine sold hundreds of cow magnets (a 3/4" by 4" smooth magnet that you run through a cow's gastrointestinal tract to pick up hardware they've ingested- they are pretty strong & cost about 3 or 4 bucks) Farmers would place them next to the fuel lines in their vehicles.They only work if you can't calculate MPG.Test the theory out with these then give the pair to a seven year old kid- he'll think he died and went to heaven. ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
Rod

2001-01-12          23374

Thanks for the replys. The certainly do more to confirm my thoughts. I'm too am very dismayed by a Ford dealer trying to sell such 'snake oil'. It is unfortunate as the rest of my experience almost totally enjoyable and I got a great price on the truck. I can't decide if I should send a letter to the dealer or also to Ford.

By the way, this product was definitely not endorsed by Ford as I couldn't even find a street address or internet address on the brochure. Everything endorsed by Ford has the logo all over it. I guess that should have been the first sign.

Another by the way, along with the undercoating and fabric treatment. They were trying to sell spray in bed liners for $200 over what you can get them installed by calling the vendor (LINE-X) direct. I'm having mine installed tomorrow, at the lower price.

Thanks again. ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2001-01-13          23389

Rod,
I would be inclined to send a letter to Ford & copy the dealer.

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-01-13          23392

It is a fascinating moral question:
Should the burden fall on the customer? Doesn't he he have a moral obligation to educate himself at least enough to avoid obvious scams?
Or does the burden fall on the dealer? The argument being that he has specialized knowledge which morally he should use to protect the customer from these scams.
And not to be overlooking the possibility that the dealer is so deluded that he actually believes in this "snake oil"....and the very, very tiny possibility that the snake oil is actually works..... ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2001-01-14          23409

That's a great point Roger. I think the burden actually falls on both, but the majority of it falls on the "expert" or the dealer in this case. Having spent my business life as the person recommending (20 years selling sailboat sales & the last 10 as a software consultant) I always felt it was my responsibility to recommend what was proper. However as you stated, if the dealer actually did believe in it, well, that is a different story. We as consumers also need to do our homework as Rod did by posting his question. ....

Fuel Mag

View my Photos
G Johnston

2002-11-24          45345

Our company based in New Zealand manufactures Fuel Mag diesel decontamination units designed to control bacterial contamination in diesel. We make no claims re fuel savings or any of the outlandish claims regarding magnets. Our units are not clipon but are fitted in the fuel line. We just want to be sure we are not thrown in with the magic brigade. If you want to know more check out www.fuelmag.biz ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login