Go Bottom Go Bottom

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-28          171894

Hope I got this on the correct forum.

I have couple questions regarding greasing my tractors--I have a new NH T2210 (70+ hrs) and recently bought a used Cub Cadet 3240 with a new 54" mower deck.

I have noticed as I do my regular maintenance and greasing that some of the grease fittings are incredibly tight--i.e. I can get the grease gun attached to the zerk, but it is a struggle to get off (more so on the CC mower deck).

Also, some of the zerks--particularly the front axle pivot joint on the CC, I can hardly get grease to go into the zerk. I am using an old hand-pump grease gun.

What should the pressure rating be on a grease gun? Do they go bad? Are there different size zerks? Are there different sized couplers for a grease gun?

Thanks for any help or wisdom!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grease Gun

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-28          171898

AC;
I've been using grease guns since I was a kid, which was a long time ago, but that by no means makes me an expert.
The common lever type gun with either a pipe or a rubber hose, I keep a gun with one of each for situations that maybe a pipe is unable to reach then the rubber hose does the job. Using a pipe lets you have more control of how straight the tip is on the zerk and also frees up your other hand.
Not beiong able to get the gun tip off the zerk usually means there is pressure in the bearing that can't go anywhere so it just binds up the gun tip. Usually a tilt to any side releases them.
A tip that won't stay on the zerk or leaks grease usually is worn out. There are tips that are meant for higher pressures that will hold on really tight, but most of what we do doesn't require them, I have some but seldom need them.
I really have no idea how much pressure can be created with a common lever type gun, depends on how strong you are I guess.
Not being able to get any grease to go into a zerk usually means that the zerk it'self is clogged. If the zerk is a 1/8th pipe thread take the zerk out and put it onto the gun tip, sometimes that will unclog it when you pump the gun. If not screw in a new zerk, they're cheap.
The 1/8 pipe thread used to be the most common but now there are drive ins, small threads, and heaven forbid but probably metric ones now too.
I have no experience with the new battery powered guns, but the guys who have them seem to like them.
Hope this helps. Frank. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2010-06-28          171899

Thanks for the input!

I have seen new zerks with a hex-nut end to screw in/out. I think most on the NH T2210 are like that. The one that is on the CC front axle pivot has no way to screw it out--except to put a vice grip on it--but I am not sure I should try that.

Grease Gun

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-28          171900

I skipped a question or two.
Yes grease guns do wear out, the handle gets loose and sloppy.
Don't buy the cheap ones, a Lincoln is a good brand, they just work better.
The only odd zerks I've encountered was back in the early 60's I worked in a quarry where I was second in command to the number one flunky. Our job ws to grease up the machines before the workers got there. I remember "Zerks" so to speak that had a flat top where the tip is on a regular zerk with a small hoe in the center. The tip of the gun had a coresponding hole in the side of a gun tip that slid on the zerk and locked on by means of a rim around the zerk that held the tip tight to the zerk. I never saw zerks like that again.
Frank. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2010-06-28          171901

Regarding the pressure, I have seen new grease guns rated for 300psi vs.6000psi vs 12500psi. What is usual for the grease applications on a compact tractor? In other words, could one of the reasons I cannot get grease into the zerk be because the grease gun cannot generate enough pressure to force the grease in? (I lifted the front end of the CC 3240 off the floor so the front axle would pivot thinking that may help--it didn't.)

Thanks again!
AC ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-28          171902

If the hex nut you see at the base of the zerk takes a 7/16ths. wrench or deep socket then 9 times out of ten it will be a 1/8 th. pipe thread zerk.
There are all kinds of zerks available. 90 degree, 45 degree, or extended pipe zerks. At any farm supply like TSC you can get a variety pack with all different styles to keep on hand. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-28          171903

Again I don't know what a common lever tyoe gun is rated for pressure, but I'd guess lots more than 300 psi.
If the common guns we use won't put grease in the bearing then something else is wrong, like a clogged zerk.
Did you take the zerk out of the front axle bearing that wouldn't take grease and try a new zerk? That may solve it. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2010-06-28          171905

Thanks again for th input.

The zerk on the front axle pivot does not have a hex-bolt at the base. So there is nothing to get a wrench on--would it be pressed in that I would need to remove it and tap (cut new threads) the hole to fit a new zerk? And then I am back to the same problem--how do I remove it?

AC ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-28          171906

This was discussed at on another recent thread here, but I can't find it. If there's a word-search function, try "Oscar" (Mr. Zerk's first name). Some conclusions I recall:

-air-powered is easy where you can see the old grease being pushed out but where you can't (e.g., mower spindles) a hand one is better because you can feel if it's not working right.

-two-handed guns are better than the type with a long lever that needs three hands

-the fitting the grease comes out (around 1.5" long) should have grips in the end that hold the zerk head. If the zerk is large it will grab too hard. If the gun is older it won't hold so unscrew it and get a replacement for a couple bucks

-that fitting can be on a straight or bent tube, or on a flex tube (which you can also change on the fly)

-zerks pull out or get plugged, and need replacement, so find what sizes your machines take and lay in a supply. Using zerks with 45- or 90-degree bends might make things easier. Most auto stores sell boxes of assorted kinds.

Most important, and learned at poppa's knee: "Grease is cheap. Parts they protect are not." ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2010-06-28          171908

Thanks for the help and willingness to share ideas. Thanks for poppa's words of wisdom. My dad lives by: "If it moves, grease it; it not, paint it."

I will try to get the zerk out. THANKS!

AC ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-28          171912

You'd want to get one out anyway, to take it to the store for a matchup. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-06-28          171914

I had two zerks on a grapple that would not take grease. These were the ones that the top grapple jaw pivoted on. After some fiddling it turns out that when the jaw is closed it would not take grease but with the jaw opened slightly it would. So you might try pivoting the axle to see if you can get it to take grease before changing the zerk.

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2010-06-29          171927

Thanks again for all of the input. I have not yet tried to remove the zerk. I jacked the front end of the tractor off the floor so the front axle would pivot freely, but it still did not take grease.

Is there a best way to remove a zerk that does not have a hex-bolt base?

Sorry I could not keep up the "conversation" yesterday, I lost my internet connection for some time.

AC ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-29          171930

I don't know if they still make them, but we have a couple of grease blasters that will clear out a clogged zerk in seconds.

It's basically a small hydraulic cylinder with a screw-off cap for filling and a grease gun fitting on the end of the hollow piston rod. In use you put it over the zerk and hit it with a rubber mallet. The impact causes a very brief but intense burst of grease and under tremendous pressure too.

It usually only takes one or two hits to clear even a really stubborn fitting.

Best of luck. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-29          171933

Murf;
Yup, I have one of those but hesitated to recommend using it. If a persons hand were wraped around the base of the do-dad when the hammer blow is dealt there is a possibility of escaping grease going under the skin like a high pressure hydraulic hose can do. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-29          171934

Frank, the way mine work you couldn't do that, the part you grab, the barrel of the cylinder, is a good 4" away from where the grease comes out and the 'piston rod' that moves is only about 1/2" in diameter and 2" long, you couldn't even get your hand around it.

Besides, the force of the impact seals it so tightly to the zerk nothing ever escapes.

Best of luck. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2010-06-29          171936

Thanks again. I have seen one of those on the NOrthern Tool website and was courious about it. I may consider it.

Any thoughts on removing the zerk--does it just pull off?

AC ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-29          171938

Murf;
Yup that sounds identical to mine. I don't know a brand or how long I've had it.
Even I could do what I described. Take it from a man that the first time I fired a revolver I wraped my left hand around the cylinder to steady the gun. Never did that again.

The clogged zerk in the axle pivot. If all else fails try to screw it out with a smaller wrench or last resort a vice grips. If it turns round and round with nothing happening then it is likely a drive in. I don't have a magic method for removing a drive in, but just hope it don't snap off level with the surface of the axle pivot. Been there done that, if you are a dentist then you'll do fine with a snapped off one. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-29          171940

I've got a 4-way grease zerk tool that includes a removal tool, it works pretty good.

I usually just use a screw to remove broken or stripped ones though.

Best of luck. ....

Grease Gun

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-29          171951

If you have a fitting without any shoulder for a wrench on it more than likely it is a press in and I would hate to remove it. I would first try the suggestions of pivoting axle and the grease buster. Have you tried seeing if you could depress the ball in the fitting with such as a blunt punch? They will stick shut also. One other thought but not likely, sure you are not using too heavy a grease for your gun? If you are bulking loading be sure of the grease you are using.

Back to your front axle, if that pivot axle runs through a sleeve bearing it could have a hole the grease must line up in. If a sleeve bearing slips the hole may not be lining up and try all you want you will not pump grease through it. If this is a pivot shaft you are trying to grease you might be able to remove it enough to loose up the grease path way as grease can dry out and make a good dam there. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login