Go Bottom Go Bottom

Grades of Diesel engine oil

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-31          139406

When your tractor calls for say CD grade oil (diesel) are you safe to use what appears to be a newer grade of oil? By newer the letters are higher up the alphabet. Not sure if that means a better grade or what.

I happened to read the manual rather than just want into where I have been buying Rotella and it calls for CD and I don't find CD, find CG or some other letters past CD. Tractor Supply nor my non Kubota dealer sells the CD or at least has it on shelf.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-31          139410

Search through the archives there was a thread on it a while back.

I believe it was Peters who posted a link to a very good site that explained it all. DRankin & Chief also mentioned, I believe it was the Chevron site, showed lots of good info. too.

I'll look it up for you tomnorrow if nobody posts it before then.

I gotta run and start supper right now, all this talk of food on the other thread has me hungry!!

Tonight is Texican Chilli night..... mmmmmmm!! :)

(Chilli made with hunks of steak instead of ground chuck!!)

Best of luck.

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-31          139414

Murf, found this at Chevron site. Thanks for the help. It seems my thoughts were right. kt

Choosing the Right Motor Oil

What to Look for on a Motor Oil Label
The symbol at left is referred to as the "API donut." It gives you three pieces of information. API (American Petroleum Institute) Service Rating: This two-letter classification identifies the vehicle fuel type and quality level of the motor oil. The first letter indicates the vehicle fuel type that the oil is designed for. Ratings that begin with an "S" are intended for gasoline engines. Ratings that begin with a "C" are for diesel engine. The second letter designates the quality level of the motor oil. The higher the letter, the more advanced the oil and the more protection it offers your engine. An SJ oil can be used in any engine requiring an SB, SG, SH, etc. oil.

View my Photos
Art White

2007-01-31          139422

The ratings help but a higher TBN like 11 plus is a good thing to consider as well as a Sulfated ash count over 1. I like about 12 tops on a TBN for farm diesels and about a 1.2 at least on sulfated ash. I know that by buying a oil with numbers in this range might cost more then the lower grades the oil's work better longer. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-01-31          139427

The API ratings are forward compatible only. That is, if your diesel owner's manual specifies CD (like my '85 Mercedes turbo diesel), that means I can use CD-/CE-/CF-/CG-/CG-/CH- and any that follow in the alphabet. Don't go the other direction though, I leave any old stock of CA-/CB-/CC- on the store shelf.

Except for folks that use Castrol that is. They assign dual designators (like SH/CD), claiming that it performs equally well in gasoline or diesel engines .

//greg// ....

Link:   Castrol explanation

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-01          139455

Not to find fault with what you've said Greg, but, SH is a gas engine oil cand the CD is a diesel oil. What might be the difference? Gas engines can't have ash as it builds up on the valves and causes them to burn, Diesels need ash to absorb the impurities of partial burnt fuel from cold engines. Not for nothing to save a bit on the price of a quart of oil is the difference of a 3500 hour engine life to 7000 hour engine life or more.. Will it make a difference to you? Probably not but it would to a high hour user and anyone in the industry can tell you there are differences, depends on who they are looking out for the most them or you. If you were looking for a tractor with long life and a good return on your investment then spend the money on the oil, otherwise just trade more often. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-02-01          139460

If you followed the web link I provided Art, you'd have seen it ain't me saying it - it's Castrol. I never use the stuff myself, just thought I'd post it before some one who actually uses Castrol started crying foul.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-02-02          139489

I know Castrol did rate their synthetic for both gas and diesel. I lost faith in Castrol when they changed their synthetic to the current without changing the label. "IF" memory is correct their synthetic is not what the other guys believe should be allowed to be labelled as synthetic.

Do believe TP is where I first picked up on that. Did read much more on the lawsuits and such over the word synthetic as to motor oil. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-02          139491

The problem is in pure semantics.

According to Wikipedia, "Chemical synthesis is purposeful execution of chemical reactions in order to get a product, or several products. This happens by physical and chemical manipulations usually involving one or more reactions."

So, if you take crude oil out of the ground and "execute" several "chemical reactions" such as in the distillation and refining process, you in defintion, have "synthetic" oil, it's been altered from what you originally found.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-02          139496

That also applies to "All Natural" and many other things in our lives. Such a shame, I remember a company stated that they had a shuttle shift, after a bit of talk they felt that to have a forward gear in line with a reverse gear would qualify as a shuttle! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-02-08          139646

Art, where do you find the "The ratings help but a higher TBN like 11 plus is a good thing to consider as well as a Sulfated ash count over 1."

I have looked at some of the brands here and don't see it on their label. Is that what Rotella means by "soot control"?

Thanks, kt ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-10          139692

Ken, just got back town from the North American CASE-IH dealer meeting in Orlando, I've probably got many of the spec's on my desk at the office. Give me some time and I'll have them for you. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-12          139707

The last test that I have Ken put's Shell Rotella 1 at 7.5 for a total base number and a 1 on sulfated ash. They also have Rimula which uses a 1.65 sulfated ash and 12 for a base number which still doesn't exceed the Detroit spec's 7SE270 it did well on the tests. ....

View my Photos
cowpie1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-21          142278

It is true that multiple refining processes (hydrocracking) move mineral oils into the "synthetic" category. There are differences in synthetics though.

Advanced hydrocracking of mineral oils yields a Class 3 oil. Typical Off the shelf oils are a class 2. Others, such as Amsoil, are a class 4 oil. The base oil is developed from the ground up. There are also class 5 oils as well, but usually are a specific application oil used for only one purpose.

The quality of the oil (ie. shear resistance, thermal breakdown, etc) goes up with each class. Class 4 has properties that are better than 3.

Class 3 synthetics are good oils. Class 4 synthetics are better. It all depends on what you are wanting. Class 4 oils will perform over a broader range better than 3 and protect better. Engines, transmissions, hydraulics, and gears will run a little cooler and exhibit less wear with a class 4 over a 3 just as the same will occur with a class 3 over a class 2. Of course, the cost goes up with each class.

Each has his own idea of what they want to use. Whatever fits in your comfort level and what you want to spend. I prefer Amsoil in everything I use, but I won't criticize anyone for using another.

Most of the Amsoil diesel oils have a TBN of 12+. The specs are listed for each oil on their site. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login