Go Bottom Go Bottom

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-10          117705

I took my new VW TDI to the shop and asked about changing the fuel filter. In talking to them, they said to make sure I fill the filter with ATF or the engine will not start. WHAT! ATF in the fuel filter. I asked why not diesel, they said they do not have any in the shop but plenty of ATF so they use it. Has anyone ever heard of that before?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-10          117706

Maybe you should check your ankle for fingerprints. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-10          117711

If you can start a tractor with WD-40, I don't see why you can't start a VW on ATF. I think when fact they were out of diesel fuel influenced them to improvise, you keyed on the ATF - when the more important point was to make sure the fuel delivery system doesn't get air in it. That's common rail electronic direct injection right?

//greg// ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-10          117714

I have seen ATF in an old gas engine oil to clean it up as it is high in detergents. I frees up stuck rings etc. but burns really blue. I guess it would act as an injector cleaner also. It seems like high concentrations of detergents, but for a short period of time. It also seems a little viscous to run as diesel. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-11          117725

As a rule, I would NOT run ATF through a diesel. Will it burn it? Sure. I have to preprime the fuel filter housing after replacing the fuel filter on my Cummins diesel as the lift pump is not strong enough to prime the system and purge it of air. I use a syringe for mixing 2 stroke gas that I purchased at Walmart and top the housing up with fuel as much as possible after I install the new filter and torque the filter housing cover on. I am not familiar with how the VW TDI diesel filter is configured. In any case, I would not use ATF. Can you do and get away with it? Probably. My opinion is that it surely will not do your TDI any good. ATF or other oils/products can leave a heavy carbon residue after combustion that can later cause problems. Best to follow the owners manual or shop manual and use what is called for. In a pinch under unusual circumstances I could understand using ATF, but not if I use what is called for. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-10-11          117729

VW does not use a lift pump per say, just the draw from the injector pump, and your battery will go flat long befor you can fill the filter with fuel, so pre-filling it is necessary.

That being said, ATF will burn and run fine through a diesel, but, it will soot and leave deposits like crazy because of the additive package in it. I think this practice is one of the causes of the intake manafolds on these cars sooting up very badly (EGR valve open).

I prefer to change my own fuel filter on my TDI, it is not difficult, and is right under the hood. Prefill with DIESEL and save the $100 that VW charges for installation. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-10-11          117732

There was a guy on one of the "Off Grid " forums that had a diesel generator to supply power to his house. He claimed to burn nothing but used ATF fluid that he got for free from the trammission shops. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
metastable

2005-10-11          117748

My neighbor burns #1 deisel in his equipment and trucks. He mixes filtered/used ATF into the diesel as a substitute for the lack of parafin (#2 has parafin for lubricant, but #1 doesn't). He doesn't seem to have any problems with seals or injectors. I did notice when I was running his Cat 225 excavator that it smoked very blue until it was warmed up--likely from the ATF. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-11          117755

Been working on diesels for a long time and never heard of filling the filter with any thing but diesel. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
denwood

2005-10-11          117759

This was info I got right from from the dealer service department and shop. Autohaus of Lancaster where they sell lots of diesels to the tightwads that populate the area. I was surprised to hear it, I was just asking if there was any tricks to it since I have not had a new TDI before. I assumed I would fill it with diesel but was curious about any other oddities. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-11          117761

I have dealt with Autohaus in the past. Most of the time they are a few cents short of a nickel when it comes to stuff like this. You should call York VW and ask them what they fill with. ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
chipuren

2005-10-12          117771

Only mildly related, I heard of a guy who added some ATF to a tank of fuel in his diesel pickup in an effort to imporove injector performace.. went to a livestock auction and the feds did not like his red fuel, fined him for burning off road diesel in his on road truck...of course I doubt anyone would check a VW for this but.... ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
lamarbur

2005-10-12          117795

This isn't anything new. The old timers were always putting a quart of ATF in the tanks,, I used in my rigs and still use in my Dodge Cummins and Kubota, "Howes Lubricant".. Several times over the years at various truck stops, old timers would always yell, why buy Howes when you can get a quart of ATF for pennies... ....

ATF in diesel engine

View my Photos
flyin_lo

2006-01-15          122822

I own a construction company and operate many diesel engines. Refilling a fuel filter with ATF is a common practice. I also periodicaly add a can of ATF to the fuel. Seems that the ATF is very high in detergents and works very well for cleaning the fuel injectors. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login