Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
jonesiera
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-24          100963

Can you put to much additive in you diesel fuel for winter protection? My Grandson put in Twice the amount in my 4110 tank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-24          100969

It is unlikely to cause a problem. In my experience doubling the dose makes it run better if anything. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-24          100984

Yup. It will just run better. You might want to repeat it next tank. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
jonesiera

2004-11-25          100995

I'm sure glad you guys are on these Forums, It makes the Forum worth every Dime and more! Thanks again
Bob J ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2004-11-26          101131

I live in SW Idaho where the temp. will be getting down in the 10 degree range. My tractor manual indicates I should be switching to No. 1 diesel. Is that the case or can I get by with No. 2? Also should I using an additive? If so, any recommendations for what kind to use. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
dsg

2004-11-27          101166

dkheckmanl, #2 is just fine. Go to your local automotive store and get (Power Service) additive for diesels. This additive should be added when it is above 32 degrees. If this is not possible then and mixture of #2 and kerosene 60/40 will work ok.

David

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-11-28          101188

dsg
2004-11-27

Premium Member

Pics

dkheckmanl, #2 is just fine. Go to your local automotive store and get
1* (Power Service) additive for diesels. This additive should be added when it is above 32 degrees.
===================
I thought you could use it year round; not just when it's above 32. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
dsg

2004-11-28          101202

lbrown59, You are right I stand corrected. Power Service can be used year-round. I Had used the John Deere Additive for so many years (which states to add above 32 degrees) that just popped out, Sorry for the mis-information:) I almost forgot one of the reasons for switching. Please, don't tell the folks at the Power Service Club:))

David

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-12-08          101899

This isn't about additives but has anybody used "propane injection" in a diesel? For grins and giggles I "injected" unburned propane from a propane torch into the air cleaner of my backhoe and didn't hear any difference (I was expecting a faster RPM). Perhaps the volume of propane makes the difference. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-08          101905

earthworks; Propane injection brings back memories of when the M and W gear co. selling turbo kits for 4010 and 4020 Deeres back in the mid sixties faster than they could build them. They could easily boost the power of a 4020 from 94 to 125. Then somebody came up with the idea of injecting propane in the airstream ahead of the turbo. Wow could them things put out power. All at once you started seeing lots of used turbos and propane injection kits for sale. The rest of the engine and everything behind just wasn't ready for that much heat and torque. They tried oversize aluminum ribbed oil pans, bigger radiators, all sorts of things. Of course most every diesel today has a turbo, they are enginered to handle the extra pressuer and heat. Now since I've rambled on about a question you did'nt ask, I really had kind of forgotten about the propane injection thing and really don't know why it did'nt get very far. Maybe someone else can enlighten both of us. Frank. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-12-08          101922

Regarding the Power service label saying add before 32* degrees, I think thats the gell point for diesel untreated.
If diesel waxes over or the water condensation freezes I guess it too late for Power Service...thats how I looked at it...once added correctly you can go below zero

Ducati ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-12-21          102680

Used Power Service additive for the first time yesterday. It was 6 degrees out and the '03 Dodge Cummins was so hard to start that the egine light came on and it smoked for a half-mile. Took it to the dealer and they suggested using the additive (yeah, right!) to get the light to turn off. It worked! ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
harvey

2004-12-22          102696

This little cold snap caught a lot of operations with their britches around their ankles.

We have had to use a lot of Power service 911 just to get stuff to run.

Keroseane sales jumped bigtime all across town. ....

Diesel Additive

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-28          103090

We unfortunately got caught in the last cold snap without good fuel in several units that were ready(so we thought) for delivery. Idles was about all they would run at until we got the 911 Power Service bottles out. About ten minutes is all it took and they were fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login