Go Bottom Go Bottom

Weight Diff between Brands

View my Photos
Paul
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-10          7834

I have been curious as to why there is such a difference between advertised weights of different tractors and if the difference is because certain tractors are weighed with tires, rops, etc..and others are not. For example: I am looking for a 25 h.p. 4wd, hydro. trans compact, and the N.H. tc25d weighs in at 2474lbs. The Cub Cadet 7265 weighs in at 2538lbs., and the Kubota B2710 weighs in at 1740lbs. I will be buying a loader and 72" rear mower with whatever tractor I decide on and was curious as to how important the weight of the tractor will be in using the implements. I drove all three models this week and was really impressed with the N.H. but also liked different features of the other two. The prices on the three all were within $500 of each other. Why is the Kubota soo light? Is it because it is being weighed without different items on it or what?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-09-10          7837

Paul,Weight will allow a tractor to handle and control implements better, and generally have better stability. On the other hand, a light tractor is better for mowing, and doing things were soil compaction is an issue. This can include muddy pastures, where weight causes one to sink to the drawbar. Though a light unit requires more for weight ballasting, you have the option of a light tractor one day and a weighted (heavier) tractor the next. A heavier tractor can only be heavy and heavier. Weight also requires more HP to be moved, but weights give you additional traction when using a loader/plowing or just about anything requiring the tires to bite into the dirt. I also admit that I'm confused by the varience in advertised weights. Guess this doesn't exactly answer your question,but I hope it helps:) ....

View my Photos
Pete R

1999-09-10          7842

Hello. I don't have an answer to your question but would you mind telling me what the prices are for the machines you quoted above? I'm looking for the EXACT things you are, less the mower. I'm going to a NH dealer (in NH) tomorrow and will also check an orange dealer on the way.I'm getting the impression that Green is great but a little higher priced than the rest due to higher demand. And Blue maybe be the most value for the dollar, with Orange in between. They are all great tractors from what the people post. I haven't thought of Cub yet (and don't want to be more confused).Thanks. Pete Reinhard ....

View my Photos
art

1999-09-11          7863

paul, I'm a dealer for both or at least two of the lines you mentioned and have the option of the third. i have seen our customers swap from one to the other and vise-versa. Most often it is the controls or features. I,m in a area in central N.Y. were we only stock four wheel drives, and mostly hydro's in the smaller kubotas and cubs. weight is a factor as to what the job reqiurements are. The most important factor to weight is the balance of it from front to rear and the type of weight. With a loader in heavy work it should be at 75% rear and 25% front. The type of weight is also important as calcium in the tires as long been the most economical it is not the most efficient. The weight difference as far as the tractors go is like a fishermans story. I know the kubotas always show up light on paper but as a dealer of them for 15years I've never had any one say they were to lite nor any one tell me a cadet is to heavy. ....

View my Photos
prl in va

1999-09-11          7873

I own a Cub 7260. For me personally, I opted for the heavier tractor because I was interested in the loader capacity. In my case, 1100 lb full lift. When lifting 1/2 ton loads, you definitely want weight in a tractor.Also, the 26 hp is plenty (note mine is a gear tractor) for the 2550lb tractor with loader with midmower all attached. ....

View my Photos
Heckman

1999-09-11          7877

i looked for the weight in a tractor when i bought a compact, i bought a cub 7360 in may and love it . I have 85 acres in a very rural area. I use the tractor for skiding fire wood , snow plowing mowing and basic garden tilling . the reason i chose the cub was design and price. I would look a little harder at the cub if i was you ....

View my Photos
JW

1999-09-12          7895

The main reason for the weight differences are in the construction. The NH, Cub and JD 70 & 4000 series are made from solid castings bolted together. The JD 55 series and smaller Kubotas I've looked at are built on a steel frame like a garden tractor, so that makes them lighter than the casting design. I'm not sure about how the 2710 is made. ....

View my Photos
Paul

1999-09-12          7907

I owned a 80's model Mitsubishi satoh beaver 3 that was 16hp and 4wd and used to get parts from the local Cub Cadet dealer. The dealer said that the cub compacts are made by Mitshubishi. Anyway, I really liked the looks and how easy the cub handled when I test drove it. I was interested in the 7265 which is 26hp,4wd,pwr steering, industrial tires, loader, and 72" rear mower. I was quoted $18,250. I didn't get a breakdown of prices, but know the landpride mower was $1,500. As far as the N.H. tc25d with exact options I was quted $17,103 and $17,650 at two seperate dealers. The Kubota B2710 with same attachments was $18,500 ( also had a landpride deck $1,600). This was the best price I got out of 3 local dealers on this model, and the dealer was real knowledgable about his tractors and answered almost all my questions. I did check the green brand about a month ago and got a lowest quote from a local dealer on the 4200 w/hydro trans.,4wd,pwr. steer., loader and 72" rear mower deck and industrial tires for $17,850.( not a bad price compared to the next lowest quote from large dealer of $19,800). Only reason I wouldn't go with the deere is because 2 co-workers bought 4200's this past march and neither one of them got their tractors till july. Then one guy had the tractor delivered to his hom and the truck driver unloaded it at the end of his 200' drive with keys in it while no one was home. and the other guy had his for 3 weeks and had it in the shop 2 times for hydraulic leaks. Along with the other stories I have read on this board, I think it best to steer clear of the green machines. I hope this info helps. Still haven't decided if to go Blue or go with the Cub. Both machines handle excellent and all controls are with-in easy reach. The N.H. does have swivel seat,tilt and telescope steering wheel(wife is kinda short and loves that option)and also has flexible link ends which make 3 pt hook ups a lot easier. ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-09-12          7908

I own a 2710 and I can assure you it is built nothing like a garden tractor. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-09-13          7912

Alan,RE-READ the posting... He is creating a reference point for people to relate to. That being a garden tractor, many are built on STEEL FRAMES. Unlike some of the new compacts that use CAST components,which make up various parts of the tractor. Has nothing to do with owning a lightweight $799 lawn mower, as you interpreted it. ....

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

1999-09-13          7930

Believe it or not, that is exactly how I interpreted it, but my response is a little cloudy. The B2710 frame is nothing like a garden tractor. Except for the extra sub-frame, the basic frame appears to be cast. ....

View my Photos
PaulB

1999-09-13          7933

I have never looked at a 2710 frame, but the frame on my 1700 clearly is steel, and therefoore is very likely lighter than an all cast frame. I like the fact that it is steel, as steel flexes under stress, while cast remains rigid until its limits are exceeded, then will crack. ( ie, steel has an inherent modulus of elasticity). Could it be that in this case lighter is stronger ( remember the poor guy a few weeks ago with a Long tractor which cracked in 2, right through a cast portion of the frame)PaulB ....

View my Photos
mario

1999-09-13          7942

Hi PaulCast Iron and Steel both have the same modulas of elasticity (E). Being that they are both iron based metals they both strain in the order of 30 million pounds /"/" ^2. The main diff. is that most tempered steels will elongate much further before breaking. Hard steels are even more brittle than ordanary block cast iron. Some of the stuff that can really screw up the mix is copper. Even very small amounts will make any iron based alloy turn to unstable brittle crap. Some of our old cars (crushed whole) have more than an acceptable amount in them (wires starters, etc) and when melted whole will turn out bad metal. Tractors craking are likely made with some of this contaminated alloy.Most US car makers make there blocks out of cast iron which is as pure as most low alloy soft steels and are very hard to break.Do you think we get get the facts from our tractors Manufacturers as to what the mix is. mario ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login