Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
Chris48
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-29          65104

...i have just bought a Cub Cadet 2518 tractor with the 20 horse Kohler, and the 48 inch deck..i was wondering what good points and bad other owners of this model might have found, thanks...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-30          65126

Chris, of coarse I'd like this to be the only post you get here! But it's also how I learn. Good luck with your new tractor. We haven't had any service issues with them yet. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
dakota_dj

2003-10-19          66605

I purchased a 2518 in July. Have not had any problems with it. I really like this tractor. Planning on purchasing a 42in snow thrower for it. Purchased Lug Ag tires for it last week. Going to get weights and chains for it also. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
mohican

2005-04-18          110018

I bought one identical to yours in 7/03. Same deck and engine and I have 58hrs of abuse on it now. Just changed the tranny filter and topped off fluid, replaced air filter, changed engine oil & filter and went through the entire owners manual to check all adjustments. When I removed the deck, I cleaned it very well, inspected the belt and greased all zerks on the (including the gauge wheels fittings and their shafts) I white lithium sprayed all other mechanical contact points without zerk fittings and sharpened the blades. I had a John Deere STX38, LX176 & LT155 prior to this Cub and I like this much better. It will power through grass taller than it should and gives a nice cut and rides very well. The steering is great and the heavy 48" deck is bulletproof. I recommend the front bumper for "accidents". You have a good machine, I hope it lastas and lasts.

If anyone knows of a sleeve hitch to fit this model, please reply. thanks. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
mohican

2005-04-19          110091

What did the AG tires/wheels cost from the dealer if you don't mind? How much are the wheel weights and what do they weigh? YOu haven't seen a sleeve hitch for this for rear ground engaging garden implements have you? ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-20          110144

The electric lift sleeve hitch for 2500 series tractors retails for $959... ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
mohican

2005-04-25          110306

Art,

Ouch! That is expensive! I'll just use my B7610 in my garden instead. Don't understand why they (Cub) doesn't make a $200 sleeve hitch like Sears does for their "Garden Tractors" so you can use light duty garden inplements at a reasonable price. Thanks Art.

Mohican ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
Art White

2005-04-25          110344

The two thousand series is a light garden tractor with light maybe being the attachments available at a reasonable price compared to others. But compared to the lawn tractors on the market it comes in as a heavy weight for most chores. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
gmiller

2006-07-14          132142

I have had a 2518 for about 3 years, and my brother had used it for about 1 year before I bought it from him (I had just moved into a new place, had no lawn tractor and wanted to help him out). It was great for his flat, square 2 acre lawn, and it does OK for basic lawn mowing (it has the 48" deck). But, it is not a good fit for mowing on steep inclines (either I put the weights on the rack and then have very poor steering due to weight shift to the rear, or it spins out). It is actually kind of humorous how I have to disable the seat automatic shutoff so I can throw my 230 lbs around trying to get one of the wheels to bite.

And with my long, steep driveway, it only works OK for snow plowing when there is dry, powdery snow and I get on it before any melt underneath. Otherwise, even with the weights and rear tire chains, it can't make the hill - even with the blade up (sometimes I have to drive up with the blade up and plow back down).

It is OK with the small trailer to move a light load (under 600 lbs.) over a flat, dry surface.

And, with about 200 hours on it, I have had several indications that the mower deck, rear wheel rims, and front steering linkage just is not heavy duty enough for me.

So, I have been to the Kubota dealer, am considering a B7800 there, and also looking at the Kioti CK30 and the Cub Cadet 7305. I need a tougher mower, I definitely need 4WD traction for snow plowing and mowing the meadow on our property, and I could also frequently take advantage of the FEL and better towing capacity for moving lumber and rocks around our 16 acres of woods, lawn, gardens and meadow. I am not looking forward to spending $15,000+, but it just has to happen. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-14          132143

One of the things that I find most overlooked for traction is the rear tires. The 2518 did not have the most aggressive ones available and they often have to much air to get good traction. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
gmiller

2006-07-14          132145

I agree the tires are not the best and overinflating them hurts the traction, but the issue is more systemic. The tractor is too light in the rear end, and when you do get traction (e.g., by adding a rear weight rack, tire chains for snow plowing, etc.) you find out quickly that the lugs and wheels are not robust enough to handle it (I have had to replace my driver's side right rear wheel).

It is a nice lawn mower for relatively flat, smooth lawns, but I would not recommend it for anyone with more than 2 acres, hilly lawn, rougher areas to mow, snow removal or a desire to use the trailer. ....

Cub Cadet 2518

View my Photos
micman32

2006-08-16          133390

I have a 2003 CC 2518. I have had no major problems with it. I added the Ag (lug) tires this spring and traction is great. I find this tractor to be very heavy duty and reliable. The 44 inch deck does a great job and I can't be more pleased. I have 6 acres and it is hilly and bumpy in places. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login