Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Billp
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-10          52953

I have a new 3204 with a 44" deck. The deck is clogging to the point of stalling the engine. Anyone know of a fix for this.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-11          52961

Off the top of my head I'd start by looking at the deck leveling. If a deck is lower at the back it mulches a bit and requires more power. It also might be more prone to clogging. Mowing isn't my specialty though. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-11          52998

We have not had any problems with those units. I would think that as Tom stated, the deck is not leveled from side to side or the rear is not higher than the front. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-12          53024

An after-thought that maybe should have been the first-thought is that it's best to run a mover at pto rpm if you're not already doing so. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-26          55591

Since it does nothing but rain these days (literally a month straight) I have no choice but to mow in wet grass
with my new 3204...It has never clumped up on me and what you discribe is not normal...remove the deck to make sure the 3 blade is moving freely or not mounted upside down...
The grass grows high quick and this unit has more Hp than whats need to mow wet grass...I used to have a 1969 125 12.5
that did it as well effortlessly..
Post back with final results ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-26          55613

Clumping is not normal for any mower, you call your Cub a 'new' machine, did it come with regular blades (minimal sail area.

If you formerly ran Gator or high air-flow blades and so you are used to the high air-flow which you would not get with the new machine's regular blades.

Best of luck. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
bparran

2003-05-26          55670

My 3204 is brand new with all standard cub blades. The deck still clogs very badly in damp grass. I am cutting at a deck setting of 5 which is almost all the way up at full throttle. There is nothing mechanically wrong with the deck. I have checked the level and even had the dealer send new blades and it made no difference. I can only assume that it is deck design. Seems like some Cub owners have the problem and some don't. I'd love to figure that one out.

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-05-26          55683

Bparran,

I'm sorry you are going through this and since the dealer has been involved I'm sure you covered all bases..are you still using the Mulch plug? I dont use it at all, but I'm sure you tried that...

Keep us posted if solution is found ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
bparran

2003-05-29          55946

Ducati,

Just a double check, you have a new 3204 with a 44" deck and standard blades ?? Have you tried cutting any damp/medium tall grass ? Under these conditions my deck seems to keep clippings "in suspension" under the deck until it finally will completely clog. I have to turn off the blades about every 200' and it will drop a big pile of clippings. I have checked the level of the deck etc and find no problem. What is the model number of your deck?? ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-05-29          55951

Bparran,

My 3204 is only 1 month old and has about 10 hours on it.
The model # 190-209 and is a 44" deck...
I just mowed my neighbors lawn yesterday because their tractor wasnt running. Their grass was real high in most areas way over a foot. The deck was all the way up and it mowed right trough it. I didnt notice clumping at all and
its been raining for a month straight so the grass was damp not sopping wet, at the time. I live in Long island NY home of the rain cloud.
I havent mastered the adjustment knob for the deck height or correct caster wheel height yet but I still learning that. Is it a height issue of too close? Possibly the protective deflecter is blocking the exit? needs to be pulled back with a bungie cord?
Is the dealer receptive to trying another deck? maybe a 48" ? just to see if thats the issue..
I hate pointing out the things you most likely already tried....keep us posted on outcome either way

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Mickey

2003-05-30          55959

Just found this board today and saw this post.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 3204 and during a trial run with a 44" deck I also experienced clogging to the point of killing the engine. Had a 48" deck installed and there is a whole world of difference. Beside just being a much bigger deck, the discharge shute is much larger and can handle heavy clumped up grass much better than the 44" deck can. For my place, I couldn't get by with a 44" deck during the wet months. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-05-30          55969

Hi Mickey,

Damn this makes me nervous now, is this something that can happen at a later date or is it something that either does it right away or it dosent do it at all...

Any ideas from your dealer as to why? I thought the 48" would solve it naturally. But why is it sporadic with the 44" ? The majority are fine based on Internet responses but maybe that will change? ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
bparran

2003-05-30          55991

Well I guess my dealer and I are going to be talking about a 48" deck. I don't understand what the difference is but I knew I couldn't be the only one with the problem. Heres what I have tried:
I inspected the deck and blades, found no problem.
I have checked the level on the deck and it is correct
I have cut at full power with the deck raised almost all the way up.
Maybe there are different versions of the same model 44" deck ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Mickey

2003-05-30          55996

Ducati,

Sorry I can't see all your message. Looks like trial period is 1 message <24hrs. Not willing to fork over $20 at this time. Sorry ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-05-30          55999

log out and then back in again...you should see it all ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Mickey

2003-05-30          56053

Ducati,

Didn't help, anything more than 2 lines long is reporting trial period has expired. E-mail if you want.

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-06-01          56144

To all with 44" deck clogging,

I attempted to duplicate your problems with high wet grass
and the closest thing that happened on some areas that showed some clumping (not a lot) was I reduced the RPM's speeed (throttle) to half way to 3/4..It looked like it helped alot....just a thought ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
bparran

2003-06-01          56161

Friday night I was cutting some grass that was about 4-5" tall and not wet but damp. Deck clogged like crazy. Even got a jam that killed the engine from grass clumps jamming between the end of the blades and the inside of the deck.
Today I ran it through some grass that was at least 7" tall and sopping wet and there was no clogging at all. Now does that make any sense?? Almost seems like it's not the wetness of the grass but how "juicy" and sticky the grass is. I always mow at full throttle per manufacturer recommendation. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-06-01          56165

I would work on getting another Deck..there is no reason for it at all. I didnt even know better when i first got my machine and I was only using 1/2 throttle and maybe 3/4.
I learned to use full and never a problem.
Try to see if you can get a 48" hopefully the dealer will give you a break on price. Or at least another 44" swap.
The posts above mentioned the 48" being fine. Why screw around with it anymore, its just going to turn you off competely to Cub the longer you deal with it..
Maybe there has been a change on the 44" between years, and someone had shipped a batch of older revisions? Its a guess at best..its now time for the dealer & Cub to do the right thing. I bet odds are they do the right thing ! they do have a good reputation for that..post back with updates ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Mickey

2003-06-01          56174

As I replied to Ducatti privately, the 48" deck is much more masive than the 44" deck tipping the scales at around 220#. Dealer told me that there was a $350 price difference between these 2 models.

I also think the clogging and clumping is more an issue of how jucy the grass is over just being wet. I also found that when I took off the deck there was a great deal of grass stuck to the underside of the deck and was concentrated in specific locations including at the aft end of the discharge shute. Boy am I glad I went for the 48" model. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
bparran

2003-06-19          58037

Well today I got my 3204 back from the dealer with a brand new 48" deck. I haven't been able to cut for almost 2 weeks so I tried the new deck in the tallest and wettest grass I have ever cut. It went through it like a knife through butter. What a difference! No clogging at all and it didn't even throw out wet clumps. A perfect cutting machine. ....

Cub 3204 deck clogging

View my Photos
Mickey

2003-06-20          58050

bparran, glad to hear the larger 48" deck took care of your problem. Major difference in cutting ability and a much more stoutly built. I'm sure anyone else having plugging problems with their 44" deck can solve their problem by going to the 48" model. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login