Go Bottom Go Bottom

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-10          47304

I was talking a walk the other day while my wife had her teeth fixed and ended up a the Chev dealers. The saleman had no one around so I ended up taking out a 2003 2500 Siverado with the Duramax and Allison transmission.
Compared with the 2000 Cummins I thought it was a lot quieter once it was warmed up. Very comparble in noise level to the standard gas engine.
They claim that it as 300 ponies but I did not think it had the punch of my Cummins. I guess it might be better once it is broken in, but?
Did the same person that styled the Astecs get at the new Chev's. Not my taste. They claim that the Avalanche sold so well they decide to match the Chevs styling. Now there's a bright move. A truck has a individual personality and sells to a select youth buyers so we make all the trucks look the same goofy look. Well at least theirs the other model off the line GMC, so only 50% will be bad.
I guess I am in the same stance as before. I like the egodynamic of the GMC/Chev, but wait and see about the engine.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-10          47313

My son's best friend works as a mechanic for a Chevy dealership. He said they are having quite a few problems with the Duramax injectors.

Billy ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-01-10          47323

I agree with you about the looks of the new Chevys. I decided to look at Dodges and Chevys, the 2003's were just coming in. The looks put me off, and they were a couple of grand higher on the sticker than the Rams. Better engine options at the time, though.

The 5.7 Hemi is now available in the 1/2 ton Rams. 345 HP and 375 ft-lbs of torque. It is being coupled with the newer 5-speed automatic. About a $2000 upgrade for engine and tranny. That would be a wicked pick up.

Bill ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-11          47359

I have a 2001 F-250 with Navistar 7.3. Pulls as good as anything,250HP 530lbft of torque. Can you believe that they have gone to as 6.0 with 320hp and 570lbft of torque? ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
cutter

2003-01-11          47362

H/D Dodge, Motor Trend's truck of the year. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-12          47412

Peters, all I've ever driven is plain jane, standard cab,half ton, 6 cyl, stick shift 4X4 pickups. I trade every two years with aprox 50,000 miles, switched from Ford to Chevy last time mainly because basicly identical Chevy was aprox. 2,500.00 less money. It's been a nice truck with good service from the dealar. I pull a 15,000 gvw goose neck trailer probably no more thn 2 to 3% of the total miles driven, I don't get there first, but allways get there. I also don't mind the 19 to 20 mpg compared to the 14 to 15 I got with the Fords. the dealers allways tell me there's no trade in value to my type trucks, but it seems funny the Ford dealer used to have a list of names who wanted my trade in. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
cutter

2003-01-13          47460

I like a six if it is matched to the vehicle, such as the wife's SUV. The only objection I have is the mileage in the few I have owned in trucks over the years was no better than the V-8 and sometimes worse. The rig you drive is certainly more economical to buy and trade every two years, I like the standard cab myself. I suppose the new sixes of today perform closer to that old small block V-8 of yesteryear as well. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-14          47475

Cutter. The better mileage of the Chevy was a total surprise to me. We went on a 900 mile parts run when the truck was less than a week old, and almost did'nt believe our own figures.I too had thought about a V8, being our mileage wasn't much better than other folks were getting in like trucks with V8's. On the farm our pickup is considered as another piece of equipment that needs to justify it's self, so ownership costs plus operating costs are kept track of, and so far this type of truck has allways been the cheapest to own when you compare trade in costs and operating costs to more upscale models. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-14          47490

I owned a Ford heavy duty 3/4 (read 1 tone without duals), a 20 year old truck now, it got about 14.5 mpg. Unfortunately it could not get out of its own way. I towed some 8000 lb trailer across the country once but it was a little like driving a loaded big rig in terms of performance.
In this this culture many want to sacrifice torque for convenience and then increase HP and torque to compensate.
I like the feel of a standard, especially on slippery roads.
My last truck I looked for a standard six, but could not find the set up I wanted. I ended up going to the auto and small 8. I found one a year later and tested it and the 6 standard had better performance than my 8 and auto, as I suspected.
My current truck has a standard and six also but the six is diesel. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-14          47509

Peters, I just drive thru the lot looking at colors, then have the dealer put a truck together on the computer, and if we agree on the price have him order it. In our aeria it's almost impossible to find a standard cab on the lot, and if you do it's usually got bells and whistles that I have no use for, or else it's a fleet type truck without 4X4. I've had friends tell me that dealers won't special order a truck other than in multiples for fleet use, but no dealer has ever turned me down so far. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-15          47567

The last truck (Ford) I bought, I checked the inventory sheets for the area, but could not find what I wanted. I did not have the time available to order. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-01-15          47572

I know three people with the duramax and they all say the same thing best diesel and trans combo they have ever had. the one guy has owned all three and stricly drives what he feels is best at the time. but say tuned alot of diesel changes coming in the next year or two. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-01-15          47585

Kiotiman, When it comes to these issues, everyone has their own taste and opinions. From the days of the 5.7 Olds conversion GM has put out the doggiest diesels going. In the past, I've bought a few first year GM vehicles like the Astro Van. When something fell apart before it's time, the quote from the dealer was "underengineered" as I wrote out the check. Duramax was designed with Isuzu. If anyone has ever dealt with or owned an Isuzu as I have, they know they are the Yugo of Japan. Based on that experience, I would give GM at least 3-5 yrs to straighten the bugs out of the engine. The new Dodge Cummins is much quieter, like the GM , but in a much more durable package than GM. Advertised design life of a Duramax or the new Powerstroke is 250K. Heck, Honda's do 250K!! Cummins routinely go over 400K hauling heavy loads. They have a HO version that's available in almost all states that has more power than the GM and almost as much as the Ford. If you want something built like your Kioti, stick with the Dodge! JMHO
Pacesetter ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
DH83

2003-01-15          47587

Just got back(Iowa) from a snowmobile trip in the snowy mountain range,Wyoming. My Friend drove his Duramax crew
cab,k2500 HD pulling 4 snowmobiles,set cruise at 78mph
across Nebraska(75mph speed limit)got 12 mpg,not a lot
of weight but the 102" wide trailer pushes a lot
of wind at 78mph,also coming east out of Laramie going
up "sherman" 6% grade and 2 miles long,we set the cruise
at 78 mph again the transmission never kicked out of overdrive and torque converter never unlocked.My k1500
w/5.3L (285hp) auto,pulls the same hill with same load
at 52mph in 3rd gear and much less mpg.My friend says he
gets 20mpg in the summer unloaded with his duramax.My
local Chevy dealer says they will put the duramax in
Suburbans in 2004 or 2005....I will be the first in line. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
concerned chevy guy

2003-01-22          47923

i agree with you on the looks of the 2003 chevys there down right ugly hopefully they dont keep this look to long.I really liked the HD of 01 and 02 being different from the 1500,s now they are the same i think GM got cheap on us.I have a couple of friends that got 01 2500 HDs with the new diesels and both trucks get worked hard annd have preformed flawlessly great towing riggs with that allison tran.I currently have a 88 2500 with 190,000 miles on it its been a good truck .Was going to replace it soon but am going to wait for GM to change there body style now hope its soon or i will go to a different brand kinda like the super dutys. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-01-22          47937

I read the Motor Trend truck of the year issue that had the new Dodges in it. OK, I'm partial to Dodge trucks, so it makes me happy to see them doing well with the automotive press. MT picked the 3500 dually as Truck of the Year. They just didn't have any major criticisms of it. Also in the test was a 2500 Ram with the new Hemi.
Bill ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-02-04          48692

look if you think a dodge has ever been the truck of the year, well you shouldn't be putting up post on a truck forum. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
cutter

2003-02-04          48694

People have different preferences, just like they do with tractors. Everyone is entitled to an opinion agree or not, it is his right to express it. At this point I don't believe any one of the big three are that much better than the other (except through osmosis). ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-04          48695

I agree. There really is very little difference in the new pickup diesels. See the 2003 Western Diesel head-to-head test on pickuptruck.com. The test proves it. In fact, my truck finished last in their test. However, we the consumers are those who win in these pickup truck battles. Ten years ago, the most powerful diesel pickup had only 180 hp!
Now for my opinion. I prefer the superior pull of the I-6 Cummins from way down low. The V-8 Duramax and Power Strokes will beat me in footrace any time, but I like my I-6 tractor engine. It delivers superior fuel mileage than its V-8 rivals and mates with a 5-spd better than the '99 Power Stroke that we have at work. The Cummins consistantly delivers over 21 mpg for my 15-mile, two-lane commute.
Brand preferences aside, diesels rule. I'll drive ANY diesel pickup over a gas version, no matter what badge is on the hood! ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-02-05          48716

Kiotiman,
I'm just quoting what Motor Trend said. You can like it or not. As for posting on this forum, I promise to consider your opinion carefully before disregarding it.
Bill ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-02-05          48734

Jack,
I tryed to find the deisel test on pickup.com, but I could not find it. Where do I look. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-05          48742

Dana, try this address for the 2003 Western Diesel Shootout. I had some difficulty finding it again myself. It takes some time to digest the info, but worth it. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-02-05          48744

Jack,
Thanks I found it. I can't wait till the grade test is in. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-05          48746

Jack;
I am not sure that the test is valid for the Cummins. My Cummins' power definately increase over the first 30K of break in. I you take a diesel off the lot and do these test what does it prove?
Peters ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-11          49089

Peters,
You know that and I know that. I didn't want to kick up too much of a fuss. Didn't want to bring up the fact of Cummins 300K reliability, either. I know of a fleet of Dodge Cummins owned by a local RV manufacturer. They finally sell the trucks at 300K. Many of the engines have never been opened up for repairs.
Have you ever priced a used B5.9 Cummins? Used Power Strokes and Duramax engines don't bring that kind of money. Its the free market that tells the true story.

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-11          49096

I was flying one day and sat next to a Cummins' engineer. I asked him what he thought of the engine and he stated he did not think it was on par with the road trucks. They expect them to get 1M+ and the small cummins 500k+. Naturally there is a slight cost difference on the 600/600 vs the 5.9L.
I know a few contractors with 500k+ and no problems.
Time will tell about the Izuzu Duramax. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-14          49265

I have a 2002 GMC2500HD with the duramax and allison. 40,000 miles and no troubles which I believe is only the second new vehicle out of about two dozen in my life I can say that about. This was motor Trends truck of the year. I have spoken to literally dozens of Duramax owners who have never had a problem, its always "My buddy" or "someone in the family" . The only one I believed was a fellow who is a contractor hauling a 9,900# trailer loaded to the gills and driveing twelve hours a day. I owned a Dodge and I don't think there is any comparison, now it was good thing that one came with a warranty. The volume of the engine and the acceleration is such that it is easy to forget your driveng a diesel. Which one is best ? well, I wouldn't turn any American made full Size P/U with a diesel out for eatin crackers, there all pretty darn nice trucks. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-14          49269

Let me know when you get 500K on it and then maybe I will think of it. I have torn apart too many GM light diesels to jump at the next in the line.
I have seen more than one light Izuzu light diesel that expired at an early age so that connection does not give me the warm and fuzzies either.
Like I said time will tell. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
DocsKnotIn

2003-02-17          49410

C'mon, let me know what any passenger vehicle looks like after 500,000 miles...LOL the 2500 HD...HD=Heavy duty But hey If its still running as good as it is now and getting 20mpg in oh say 200,000 miles, I'll be a happy camper, but I dont think any truck I have ever put on more miles than that, not on my personal vehicle anyways ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-17          49411

What I Really want is a Ford Frame, GMC interior and Dodge body with a 500 hp Detroit Diesel, That should last three times as many miles as ALL the best manufactuers are Invloved...whatayathink??? ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-17          49428

I saw a 36' Dodge body dropped onto a newer diesel frame and running gear.
Maybe a 49' powerwagon might supply the body toughness required.

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-18          49463

Hey If were not carefull all the techies at GM Ford or Chrysler are going to take our ideas and come out with A retro viper P/u and were all gonna have to buy new trucks....and I havent paid this one off yet, LOL ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-18          49474

Have you not seen the new GM truck? Not what I would call off road but. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-19          49505

I think I caught a quick glimpse of it. I still haven't seen one of the new chevys with all the plastic. When chrysler came out with the cummmins pairing I was really hopefull that the others would follow that lead and someone would offer a Detroit Disel while someone else would offer a Cat. So much for my thoughts. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-19          49566

Detroit is part of GM and the engine prior to the Duramax was a Detroit offering, although I don't think it was a real Detroit. I never had the reputation or fuel economy of the IH in the Ford or the Cummins in the Dodge and the plant was sold to AM General to power the Hummers. GM is now making the H2 and marketing the Hummers so I do not know what stake they now have in AM General.
The Duramax was constructed with Izuzu and JD help. GM has a stake in Izuzu and has for years. They constructed a new plant to get it and were at least 1 year late getting on line. In 2000 the year I bought my Dodge there was no GM offering.
I find it amusing to see all the GM web sites designed to lift the profile of their Duramax. The advertising crew must have worked overtime. I worked through the myriad of advertising web pages to find the mechanical problems posting on one site. Not what the average user would do and there were not a lot of posts.
I guess I am turned off by the slick Willy approach to sales. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-19          49572

I am really enamored with mine thus far. This is this first vehicle I have ever had where people will walk over to talk to me about it. I have literally spoken to several dozen Duramax owners and have heard nothing but good. I would concede that with only 40k on the OD it will take another 60k to firm up my belief. I really think all of the diesel offerings currently are pretty darn nice. As for the manufactures and there little ploys, well, you know you've got to justify those six figure salaries for people who sit on there duffs all day and do little other than drive the cost of new vehicles up. As for lemons, lets talk about that new Caddy STS with the 400 hp Navistar I bought a few years back. 24,000 miles, burned a quart and a half of oil every 2k, quit running at every stop sign and going 25 mph the trany would start shifing like it was possesed. Or the little Dodge P/up I bought when I was younger, 3k and every time it rained it quit running, leaked oil under the manifold at a break kneck pace. Chrysler finally sent one of there "area managers" down to look at it. I waited all day tp hear there was nothing wrong with it.I just about dragged that guy to the parking lot...oops he didn't even know which one it was because he had never even looked at it. I was in college then and I took a beating tradeing that piece of %^$# in on a S-10. All I can say is I'm haapy to finally have a diesel and it is soooo much quiter than the others and accelerates like a gas engine...Life is good ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
cutter

2003-02-19          49576

I finally used my 2002 3/4 Ton Ram for plowing some heavy snow last week. Up until that time what we were getting was light for the most part and only amounted to perhaps 8-10 inches a day. I would hop on the Kubota after work to relieve the stress and plow the 200' driveway to the house, the parking area and then 400' to the barn and associated parking area. I worked late Thursday and Friday during some heavy snow that was just too much for the machine/time continuum available to me. That truck with the 8' BLIZZARD plow worked great! I was a bit concerned due to the fact that the plow was an afterthought so I had not purchased an anti-spin rear axle, but bought off the lot due to the high rebates and deal offered me at the time. Doesn't seem to make much difference without that feature, my previous two plow units both had it and I really could not notice a difference in the plowing performance. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-19          49586

From all I can tell the Duramax is holding up fairly well so far. It is good to here they may have it right now.
I have not had my Dodge in for any repairs to date with 50K on it. Time will tell.
I wish I could say the same for the 97 F150 I had. Most were waranty recall items, but I did have to repair one rear seal in the rear end. A 2$ part with a $300 dollar repair. As it was just out of waranty I fixed it myself but it took nearly a day.

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-21          49685

Hey if they come out with one of those Toyotas with a diesel then We'll have something to really debate. I know there assembled in the US. But it's still just not the same. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
HOEMAN00

2003-02-24          49882

I'm on my 5th HD 2500 Duramax/Allison and I love them.
I usually keep 10K miles then sell or trade and get new one
(got to keep economy going).
The 01-02 ones looked better but I really wanted a NH blue
truck to match my tractor but had to take a black one instead since the extra $1500 ran out 12/31.
I regularly pull #15K trailer and this set-up and it works great.
I thought GM would up the power on these trucks to stay
ahead of the rest.
May be they will just put the 8.2L duramax/6 sp allison
in soon. ....

Duramax Duramin

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-24          49886

MORE POWER !! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login