Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tires

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-05          157036

Need advice from the members. I have over 200K on my silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4. Ya all know I pull my tractor but very very rarely. Now and then I pull a car trailer but very very rarely. In my case, are a LT tire the best bet or can I go with a P
I an looking at P245/75R16 109 S owl. Sams has em for 120 bucks. I have always bought the best I could afford in the past but my ambition level has dropped and my mileage is gettin to the point where I dont want to spend another c note.
Saftey is top though so what do you all think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-05          157037

The difference is typically in the number of plies and the load rating (how much weight the tire can carry). Did it come originally with P tires? (sticker on door jamb might say) Often half ton trucks do come with P tires from the factory.

LT tires cost more, have more plies for a higher load range, allow higher max air pressure, have a higher max load carrying capacity and are a bit more rugged. They also weigh more, get a bit worse mileage, and run hotter which shortens tread life.

If you're within weight carrying capacity and don't drive much on very rough roads I'd say a P tire would be fine. ....

Tires

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-10-05          157038

Its amazing how one can look on this net for an hour and not be able to find the product that cam with the truck. I will run out right now and look at that door jam (never thought of that, thanks) ....

Tires

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-10-05          157039

P245/75's Thanks K!!! I think that makes up my mind. I know it will be tough to "get over" that manly thing of having LT tires but I would like to save a few bucks. I had a trail game camera stolen last month and want to replace it (200) so if I save bucks on the tires it will lessen the pain (and maybe save the life of the B-sturd) if I ever find out who dunn it!
So "P" it is!!!!
Any one else like to add ideas? EW?? I am sure you have "EXTRA XL " LT tires on yers? LOL ....

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-05          157040

Glad to help, maybe those two years running a tire store weren't a complete waste.

Yesterday I replaced the P tires on my Tacoma with 6-ply LTs, mostly because 20% of the mileage is driven on gravel roads and these are a bit more rugged. I'm hoping they cut down on the number of flats I get (usually 3-4 per year). ....

Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-06          157044

In one of the tire changes on my Trunda ended up with the heavier capacity tire and sure don't like them. Ruff.

Ken, just wondering what brand of tire were you having so many flats with? In talking with a couple of local tires shops understand and my experience supports it, that Uniroyal (is Goodrich their sister company?) have a tire that is terrible for picking up and going flat from the oddest things. Spark plugs, tooth off of hair pick, and for me, broken wrench, chanable screw driber bit, and one more I don't remember. Got away from their tires and also flats. kt ....

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-06          157046

We've been living here for eight years and all our vehicles have had lots of flats, brand of tire or price paid really doesn't seem to matter. We've had Firestone, Bridgestone, Toyo, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, BF Goodrich and Dunlop and assorted off brands. In my tire days some designs did seem to be more prone to flats. The gravel road takes it's toll too, the best tires never get more than 30k miles. ....

Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-06          157048

Guess you buy road hazarded coverage. :) ....

Tires

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-10-06          157065

I see Sams club has a decent price on their road hazard plan. My buddy has used it a few time. Have you seen where they will fix flats for free for as long as the tires have 2/32 of tread or more?
I decided on
P245/75R16 109 S OWL Bridgestone DUELER H/T 684. Consumer report has a decent view on these (not great but decent for the money though it is the best review dollar for dollar.
Anyone have an opinion about these?
Ken
I went with H/T istead of A/T because recently I travel almost entirely on hyway. In the old days I never knew what I would drive thru. You think H/T is ok considering I pull that trailer but only occasionaly? Thank

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-06          157067

Not sure about the weather where you are but generally highway tread is fine, are they all season? Here we buy from Les Schwab and they have free flat repair and rotations for life. Their road hazard is great too. Not sure how Sam's Club works, but often those warranties are something like free replacement for the first 50% of tread life and prorated if less. At 2/32 the tire is worn out, if it rains a lot there I'd be replacing at 3 or 4/32. ....

Tires

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-10-07          157089

Yes, they do have free flat repair and rotations for life. Here is the info:
All-season tire is ideal for the driver who likes adventure with quiet comfort and sleek styling
UNI-T™ technology delivers outstanding wet weather traction
Original Equipment on many of today's most popular SUV's and Cross Utility vehicles
Platinum Pact limited warranty
30 day test drive
Tire Size: P245/75R16
Service Description: 109 S
Sidewall: OWL
Rim Width (min. to max.): 7.3
Section Width: 9.8
Overall Diameter: 30.5
Tread Depth: 13
RPM: 683
Max Load: 2271
Treadwear: 460
Traction:A
Temperature:B ....

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-07          157092

The specs never tell the whole story but they seem OK. The manufacturers can be really skunky. For example I've seen tires with "steel belts" where the belts are about 1" wide running down the center of the tire, leaving 3-4" on either side unprotected.

If you were running LT tires before you'll want to go back to the P pressures that are closer to what's on your door jamb sticker. LT tires generally need higher pressure for equivalent load capacity vs. P tires. ....

Tires

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-08          157105

The Nov. Consumer Reports has a piece on tires for light trucks. They don't test every brand and size, but they repeat the point that you can basically have ONE of fuel economy, long tread life, low noise, comfort, or good traction for dry or wet or snow or ice. If one of those features is important to you, that article will help. Freedom from flats wasn't mentioned.

There was also a piece on batteries. Bloody frustrating because there was no one overall best brand -- depended on the size or group. For instance, in one size Interstate or Kirkland was best, worst in another size. I replace mine a dozen at a time, so get them from the same wholesaler or club store, but they are mostly all different sizes. ....

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-09          157138

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 157105
The Nov. Consumer Reports has a piece on tires for light trucks. They don't test every brand and size, but they repeat the point that you can basically have ONE of fuel economy, long tread life, low noise, comfort, or good traction for dry or wet or snow or ice.

Like many Consumer Reports articles this isn't quite the entire story. Fuel economy, long tread life, low noise and comfort aren't mutually exclusive. A tire with a rib design, hard rubber tread layer, and flexible sidewalls can be very quiet, deliver good fuel economy, long tread life, and give excellent ride comfort. So that's just not true.

But wet/dry/snow traction are a different story, those attributes are always a compromise. ....

Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-09          157140

Years ago I subscribed to Consumer Reports. When they would never answer my question are the brands you reported on all you tested or just the top ones I gave up. Sherwin Williams was at that time the only paint sold in my part of the world they tested.

I did find the rates from their subscribers on autos to be very good and worth reading. But that is real life users and not lab test results. Not throwing off at lab test results, am sure are very accurate. kt ....

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-09          157142

Although I no longer subscribe to CR it's interesting reading when a free copy is found. But sometimes you have to wonder what they're thinking.

Like the test they did between dino and synthetic oils. I thought everyone knew that a large portion of engine wear occurs during cold engine starts. So how did CR conduct the test? In taxis that ran 24 hours/day without any cold starts. Not very useful results for the real world. ....

Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-10          157160

A few years ago bumped into a maintenance person from the Air Force Base that was here. He told me they found no advantage in using the synthetic based upon long time testing of their own. Not sure the numbers are right on it but he went on to say they changed the dino oil at 3,000 and the synthetic at 5,000 (this is the number I am not 100% sure on but it was at least 5,000). Odd, to me that is an advantage there. kt ....

Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-10          157162

My experience with synthetics is based on personal experience. I've rebuilt or had the heads off of probably a dozen automotive engines in my life, several that I owned since new. Those that ran synthetics were always sparkling clean inside with virtually no visible sign of wear on cam lobes or lifters. Those that ran dino oil were always covered with brown, carmelized coating and there was always visible wear on cams and lifters. And the oil was changed at 3k miles on all.

Now you might ask why the engines needed work. Well, high turbo boost levels can be a bit hard on head gaskets :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login