Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best ATV Honda Rancher ATV and others

View my Photos
Gearhead
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-05          138489

Went on a short vacation last weekend and got a chance to ride a atv again, and so i got a itch to get another one after along time of not having one. I,m 6'2 325 and the honda rancher 350 seemed to have enough power for the most part but was thinking more power. Whats you alls veiws on all makes, was thinking yamaha grizzly, but? Just will be doing trail riding for the most part.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-05          138490

Well, I think it depends more on what *kind* of riding you want to do.

It doesn't matter what kind of device you are talking about, hp and engine size relate more to how *fast* you want to go, than how powerful it is.

Witness the amazing power of a small CUT, I've pulled some pretty incredible loads with an old 16hp 2WD unit we had kicking around the yard. Our guys used to make a point of going for it when a semi-truck making deliveries didn't want to start. The look on a truck drivers face when a beat up old 'toy tractor' pulled the 50,000 pound truck with enough force to bump start it was incerdible.

The same is true of ATV's, a little 250 will be more than adequate for a single (even a larger one like us) for slow speed stuff, even on relatively tough trails. If all you want to do is scoot along trails and you don't plan on doing any real tough mud-bogging, a smaller machine will do you just fine, IMHO.

I still have, and will likely never part with, an old (1985) Honda Big Red, it was the biggest 3 wheeler they ever made, with 25x12x9 tires all around. It will even float on top of firm or wet snow. I have yet to get it stuck in 20+ years of riding it. It is so light, and with those big tires, it just won't sink. :)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
reason201
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-05          138492

Gearhead,

I have 2 Yamahas, a 350 Bruin and a 450 Grizzly. I like them both but there is a vast difference in their performance. The 450 Grizzly has a dual range transmission and that is really nice if you need to pull something real heavy. The 450 also has 4WD Diff Locking so you have true 4 wheel drive. Put the factory winch on it and you have a really sweet machine.

Good luck and have fun... ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-01-05          138498

I am leaning toward the grizzly seeing that the company i work for has sells yamaha at two other locations. reason i was ackin what size, is that i've been away from quadin for along time and the 230 quad sport i had let me down a couple of times and almost got me hurt(like run out of power at top of a hill and rolled me up into a ball on the way down ouch) but theres alot of differance between 230 and 450, speed is not a factor just need power to haul my big self around. thanks for the info. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2007-01-08          138583

Not being of small stature myself, I totally understand what you are saying. I can tell you that I and a passenger have been on the 450 together without issue (500+ lbs)

I have also used the 450 to tow a utility trailer loaded with over 1200lbs of barbed wire across my 40 acres. That low range really gives you grunt power.

I am sure there are many good machines out there but I just can't say enough good things about the 450 Grizzly. ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-04-30          141681

Well three months later, i went and bought me a 450 grizzly. I broke it in aliitle around the house and then off to the hills of ky. You where right about the 450 it took me were ever i wanted to go and places i didn't, thought i got stuck but locked the front diff in and it backed right out. I think they shoudv'e named it bighorn. All and all a very good machine. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2007-05-01          141683

Glad to hear you enjoy the new toy. Did you get the winch? I put one on mine and it has been a great tool. I have used it to recover my 350 and also to save myself when i got in too deep. I was even able to use it to help move my 4000 lb tractor when it froze up this winter.

Have a good one and remember... If you didn't get stuck, you did not go far enough in :-) ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-05-01          141708

I'm going to get a winch sometime hopefully before i need it. I was looking at gorilla winchs, ther cheaper than warn and look to be just as good(acording to them). Can't wait to go ridin again. thanks for the info again, if i had baught a bigger one it would have been tight pretty much every place i went. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2007-05-01          141713

Just FYI...

I got the Yamaha winch (I think it is probably made by warn) It has been a real workhorse. ....

View my Photos
LabLab

2007-07-21          143940

I have a 1999 Kawasaki Prairie 400 4wd that I think is a fantastic machine. Never had any problems with it. It has lots of power and is great for a "working" ATV. The first weekend I bought it, I had 250 lbs of corn on the racks and my girlfriend riding behind me. It was raining and muddy. We were idling through in low gear and making 6" deep ruts. NO PROBLEMS. I was very impressed from this point on. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2007-07-22          143949

The Honda 500 Foreman in manual shift in my opinion is one of the best alround ATV's for farm as well as any other use. Plenty of power to carry 2 riders easily. Very reliable and fuel efficient. The manual shift leaves one hand free to operate a sprayer or other attachments. I have had mine for about a year and half and it has performed VERY well. We also have a Honda 250 Recon which is excellent for one rider especially in the woods. Due to its much smaller size and foot print, it can easily out manuever most larger ATV's and if it gets stuck (and the ALL do regardless of size) it is just a matter of picking it up and moving it to solid ground. It is even more a of fuel miser than the Foreman. It has more power and zip than you would think for a little fella and is a great choice for young adults and kids provided you give them proper supervision and training. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-07-22          143950

Anybody have any experience with the JD Bucks? I have been told that thet are actually a Bombardier product, but that is all I know. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-22          143953

Klienkris; From what I've heard the dealers just don't want to mess with them and would way rather sell Gators. Reason being a Gator is considered a farm machine, no wavers, releases, on and on to fill out and sign to sell like a four wheeler to realese them and Deere, and anyone who even walked past the four wheeler from being sued someone gets hurt and sues everybody form the dealership, to Deere, to the driver who delivered it, on and on. I know nothing about Deere or any other brand four wheelers, I've never driven one. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-07-23          143971

I can see that because I have never had the hard sell from dealers on a Buck. I'm still interested because after driving Gators for 5-6 years now, I want something fast and fun. (Which I think what Gearhead was getting at.) ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-07-23          143974

Hey, Gearhead- why don't you buy a Buck and let us know how it turns out? ....

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-07-26          144031

Chris,
buy a Yamaha Grizzly 700 or 660. Reliable and fast, IRS, locking diff., easy steering, powerfull.
Honda only makes a slip differential, Ok for farmers, useless for atving/ mudding.

Joe ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login