Go Bottom Go Bottom

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-27          138361

OK, suddenly my dad wants an RTV for the farm to run around in. Sticker shock on the new ones. Someone locally has a 1998 Polaris Ranger 6x6 for sale. 270 hours, asking $5900. Has been garage kept, and a new belt (3rd one) just put on. Has some mods, inc. windshield, brush guards, etc. that are Polaris OEM accessories. He also installed 2 extra seats in the bed that are good quality, but we would probably remove. This model has the 500cc engine. Thoughts on the quality of these units? Price in line?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-27          138365

I can't speak to the price. But the units are pretty solid. My buddies and I put them through some pretty tough paces. Some of which was alcohol fueled. The 500cc engine is probably a touch underpowered for the unit, but they are still faster and can handle more than a Gator. It's also a solid engine that is also used on the Sportsman 500 (before the high output engine came out, H.O.).

They really go through a lot and come out ok. Sad to say, but I've knocked over trees with one. It's a good story. ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
charlieK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-29          138394

Blueman-$5900 is a little steep for a '98 polaris. Let your dad borrow your '05 honda foreman and buy him a small trailer. He can haul more than that rtv and have more fun. The 500 polaris is a solid machime on the other hand. Keep it in low range and belts are no problem. Windshield is a must in cold weather. Brushguard ain't bad either. 270 hrs. on an eight y.o. machine is nothing. Just serviced mine last nite. '04 sportsman 500HO 292.7 hrs. ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-01          138415

A buddy here in 'sippi bought a Japanese or Chinese right-hand drive forward-cab micro-truck for about $4500 at auction. There's a dealer nearby too who gets about the same price, but his are newer. It's pretty cool too. It is a quiet but powerful 3-cylinder (it will start out in 3rd gear), 4x4, flat bed with fold-up sides, with full on-road amenities like turn signals, heater horn etc. He drives it everywhere around here. It costs $38 a year to plate it. Some guys are lifting them and putting aggressive ATV tires on them and painting them cammoflage colors. Some come with power tilting dump beds too. ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-01          138416

Blueman; Sounds like your Dad's needs are similar to mine for farm utility chores. The first machine I had was a regular 4X2 Deere Gator, we used it for picking up rocks, hauling seed to the field, and for kind of a mini service unit taking tools, etc. to the field. We never had any real major problems with it except the box hoist just wasn't meant to lift and dump a load of rocks, we ruined it first off. Being a two wheel drive it was totally helpless in any kind of mud. I traded it in for an HPX 4X4 a couple years ago the four wheel drive gets you about anywhere, and the low range gives it a lot of puling power. The box hoist is a much improved double cylinder unit that will dump a box full of rocks with no strain at all. All of my rambling is'nt meant to be an advertisment for Deere, but I think it pretty much pertains to most any brand, two wheel drives are pretty helpless, check the ability of the box hoist, ground clearance, etc., your Dad will use it for things he never dreamed of yet. I know they are slow compared to quads, but insurance companys don't squirm quite as much with a Gator type unit. Theyre also a great way to teach the Grandkids how to drive out in the pasture with nothing to crash into. Happy New Years. Frank. ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-01-02          138423

Thanks for the feedback! (And a Happy New Year to all). It actually is a 1999 Ranger, and my dad bought it. He'll probably keep it in low range 98% of the time. Seems great so far, just a lot louder than my Honda. The brushguard is OEM, but my dad said he had to take 4 bolts off of it just to raise the hood to check the air filter and battery. What rocket scientist came up with that design? We'll have to see how long the belt lasts, and how fording a creek on the farm that is about a foot deep most of the time affects the machine.... ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-02          138427

Below is the picture of my 'sippi buddy's micro-truck.

For anyone that's interested in Hurricane Katrina, this picture today was taken 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico where the eye went through in Waveland, MS. It's about 4 feet above sea level. Storm surge seawater was 27 ft. above that with 14-15 ft. waves and stayed there for about 8 hours. I'm staying up the street about a 1/4 mile even more inland and there was 33 ft. of water there with 17 ft. waves. The 2500 sqft two-story house up on 10 ft. pilings floated up and over the power lines and landed in the street. Water went 15 miles inland. New Orleans you here is always in the news---the hurricane didn't bring storm surge there---it was the poorly maintained levies that broke AFTER the storm.

But I'm jis' sayin' ....

Link:   

Click Here

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-01-02          138428

Picture?? ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-02          138433

Picture link is working now. :) ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-01-04          138470

Blueman, I've seen Rangers that got backed over a steep drop-off in a pond and sunk past the top of the rollbars. Once pulled out, the gas and oil drained and replaced, the belt dried out, it started up and kept running. As long as the belt stays dry, you should be fine running through the creek. Maybe check the clutch housing to make sure it's sealed up from water. It will need a vent so it doesn't presurize when it warms up from running. ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-04          138480

Belt drives have been used on snowmobiles for ages with no problems when wet. In fact I've seen snomobiles racing across open water and down/up rivers and streams. My buddy has a Honda Odessey which is a one-man ATV buggy whih has a belt drive. He's forded rivers with it deeper than regular ATV's can go. The water gets steamed off by friction build up and spun off by the spinning parts. ....

Polaris Ranger 6x6

View my Photos
cutter

2007-01-04          138485

I have the 6x6 in 2003 version. Love the machine. For about 325 bucks you can have a complete canvas enclosure with zipper doors that roll up during nice weather. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login