Go Bottom Go Bottom

RTV Problems and Solutions

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-14          112361

There are actually two intractable problems: Horsepower and Reverse gearing. First the gearing:

The listed top speeds in the forward ranges are: Low-10 mph, Medium-18 mph and High-25 mph. Now look at the speed range for Reverse.......15 mph. Who on earth needs to go that fast in reverse?

And why make reverse the same range and pulling power as the middle forward gear? What is wrong with going 10 mph max in reverse? Or even 5 mph? Why gear it so much higher than Low?

I did a lot of testing and spent too much money and time try to get around this engineering shortfall.

Bottom line is with this tall gearing and the power loss I experience a mile above sea level(it really needs a 30 horse engine), the RTV gets stuck too often. When I get into soft sand with standard size tires and the wheels sink ONLY 3 INCHES below the surface, the Reverse gears REFUSE to turn the tires.

Low/forward will dig them in deeper any time you want, but once you sink past the 3 inch mark in sand (OR SNOW!) reverse is gone. The wheels will not turn in any mode, 2wd... diff lock or 4wd.

I have gotten stuck going UPHILL in three inches of sand and it refused to back itself out going down hill.

I found a fix though..... smaller wheels. The factory turfs are only 21 inches tall and they reduce the overall gearing in Reverse just enough to make the wheels spin in almost any circumstance.

BUT.... there is no free lunch here. The turfs are virtually useless in snow and the top speed is reduced to about 21 mph. The ground clearance is so low that you can't run over a softball size rock without bouncing it off the skid plates so it is almost useless off road or even on bad roads.

Other tests: on a concrete slab, jam a 4x4 piece of lumber under the rears and that darn thing will smoke the tires in 2wd trying to climb it in reverse. Put it in Reverse 4wd and it will claw its way over the obstruction in 2 seconds. Take it 50 feet away and let it sink three inches into the sand and the tires will not turn.

The dealer has checked every function and pressure path in the transmission and found it is up to specs. Kubota told my dealer that they purposely limited the amount of wheel spin in reverse and I believe that is true.

If you really jam the wheels in any other gear it will kill the engine. In reverse the engine will run about 2500 RPM with the wheels locked up but it won't kill the engine. I think there is some sort of high pressure bypass built into the system that allows this to happen.

Anyway, it is all cleaned up and back at the dealer on consignment.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-14          112364

Mark, I know this "a day late & a dollar short" but;

The reverse problem can likely be alieviated by a) boosting the relief valve setting for reverse, and b) just barely creeping, even in a taller gear.

As for the horsepower, most 'Bota engines are built for, and used in, a range of horsepower. If the RTV motor is the bottom of the range it CAN be turned back up. Also, there are easy fixes for altitude problems. The simplest is Oxygen, it is readily available and a simple diving regulator and a small hose to the intake will move your location to as close to sea level as you desire.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-06-14          112365

Some of us like higher speeds in reverse. When I was a young ladd about 38 years ago and got my draft notice and didn't care about much anymore I cruised the countryside with my best friend. I had just consumed the first half of a case of longnecks working on the second half and had met another friend on the road. A car came by so he drove a quartermile down the road into a driveway. I wanted to talk some more so I decided to back down the road toward him. I use mirrors when backing and look forward. Makes sense doesn't it? Got my tachometer up to 5,000 RPM in reverse on my Chevy SS 327. I overshot the driveway about the same time my friend backed out of the drive. Pushed the trunk of my '65 chevy back about 5 feet. Took out the right side of his car and threw him in an 8 foot deep ditch. Worst of all it spilled the beer between my legs!

Have seen many comments that the RTV is underpowered. Is a turbo kit available? Sounds like you need that and duallies for floatation. Have you considered a Gator with 4 x 6? If you are real creative, you could attach another set of tires at the rear hooked rigid to the hitch and give yourself a cattrack style belt drive. Bet Murf could fix you up!! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-14          112366

Actually, I was think a track kit in place of the wheels.

Bring it on over to the shop and we'll have lookey see.

I checked on Mapquest, it's only about 2,500 miles ... LOL

On the other hand, although spendy, the tracks in the link below would undoubtedly get you there and back.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   MatTracks

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-06-14          112367

Murf, when you say oxygen do you mean compressed air, like you would use in diving? I do not dive so I was wondering what divers have in their tanks? Is it pure oxygen or just compressed air?

I just remember from my High School Chemistry pure oxygen is extremely explosive. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-14          112369

Dennis, I was talking about oxygen, and yes it is dangerous if not handled properly, but anything at 2500 psi is a potential hazard.

I see a lot of kids tearing up the roads with souped up imports sporting bottles of nitrous oxide. If I had one in anything short of a Sherman tank I'd be driving like I had a bomb on board.

Although, simple compressed air, provided it was compressed at a lower altitiude, would be a big help too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-06-14          112370

Sounds like a setup with Mat Tracks and a little booster compressor under the hood would fix you right up. ....

View my Photos
monkeyman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-15          112381

you dont have to settle for a loss. i had the same problems and more. you deserve a full refund. all you have to do is contact your local lemon law and they will send you out a form. its cost $35 and you willhave to write kubota a certified letter and then they will geive you a full refund. they did that for me and i had 97 hrs on my machine. get all the work orders they did and make copies. if yu email me at testarossa2c(at)yahoo.com i will give you a copy of the letter to write and you can call and ill tell you my horror stories with kubota ....

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-06-15          112382

mattrax are too expensive and oxygen? kubota should have made it with more hp and better than all the comp out there. i just bought a 3010 diesel mule and had it only a week and it is more powerful and runs a lot quieter than the rtv. the only 2 things i miss are the cups holder and the power steering. the mule has more hp and will out perform the rtv anyday. and i gave $9000 for a 2005 model compared to $10,451. come on kubotie, if your going to build a machine for that price make it more powerful and with more added features. ofcourse i told them this and they said that they arent worried ppl will buy it and like it. from what i have been hearing they arent. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-06-15          112386

Monkeyman... your machine was broken. Kubota did the right thing with you. Mine isn't broke, it just does not have the off road performance I need.

It will do just about anything I want on hard surfaces, it just gets into trouble in mud, sand and snow. Someone with a lot of flat acreage or a golf course will love it.

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-06-15          112388

Ryobi sells a battery operated wet/dry vacuum the same system as for screw guns, etc. If you switched the hoses around and blew air rather than sucked air you could mount the hose to the air intact cannister. Instead of using the 9V-14V battery, you could hook it up directly to your RTV's battery. If you flip the vac switch on, you should get an HP boost like Murf has said from increased air flow.

This may sound like a Red Green or McGiver trick but you should be ok, if you don't use duct taper or a Swiss Army knife. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-06-15          112393

Yooper, I love that idea. A poor man's supercharger. You could take your friends for a ride, then at the base of a hill flip the switch and start the "blower." Better yet would be an gas leaf blower. That might have the CFM needed to effectively increase the oxygen intake and wouldn't be a drain on the charging system. Everyone would hear you coming though. :)
Dave ....

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-06-15          112429

mine also wouldnt pull and would get stuck...on a hill it would struggle to climb it...i know mine was a lemon but yours sounds like it is doing what mine did...contact kubota and tell them what is going on and dont settle for a loss...they should refund you and know that the machine is lacking power and traction...maybe next time they will get it right...if your going to design a machine that cost more the comp. make it better ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-06-16          112438

Monkeyman, everyone has different chores and desires for machines. You say they don't pull, I have farmers pulling loaded hay wagons with them both in and out of the fields down roads at the same speeds as a farm tractor, although it is an overload by Kubota ratings. I've seen a lot of machines not be what I would like under certain working conditions but normally with a few modifications they can be improved for those curcumstances. We have taken in numerous mules, gas and diesel and the owners have no complaints over the difference and actually have found many things they really like about the RTV. We have done no modifications to these machines although I wish you were on the other coast as I have been looking for an owner that would let us play with a few adjustments to better tweak a machine. We know Kubota is quite consevative in most all ratings but they build for endurance which is often perfered by most over higher performance. Shoes are great, but there is no one pair for us all! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-06-16          112449

I am sure my RTV would have pulled a hay wagon.... on a hard surfaced road, closer to sea level. I never had a problem with the low/forward range, unless I got in real deep sand and really buried it.

It is going away because it cannot handle its own weight in reverse.

I wish I could get it to the other coast too, between Art and Murf we could probably come up with something, at least on the transmission. The only thing that will cure the altitude problem is a bigger engine. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-16          112453

Mark, did your RTV make any smoke under load?

The reason I ask is that the usual way to tune a diesel engine is to balance the fuel & air mixture.

If yours smoked, it's starving for air, if not, it's likely not getting enough fuel.

If they have no control over less (or thinner) air the normal reaction would be to turn down the amount of fuel to maintain the right proportions of air to fuel. In fact there really is no adjustment that can be made to the airflow to the engine so adjusting fuel is the only option.

In your case you need to go the other way around. You need to find a way to encourage more airflow. It might be worth an experiment. I would first hobble together some sort of temporary exhaust, less the muffler, and a little larger diameter if possible. Then ditch the factory air box in favour of a high flow K&N or similar air cone with a re-useable element.

I know on a pickup diesel, just those two changes will give as much as a 20% boost in power.

You may also find a tech or specialty diesel shop who can turn up the fuel delivery rate on your rig.

The other, more expensive option, would be to merely swap your fuel pump for the one for the next bigger 'Bota engine.

Some things to think about.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-06-16          112456

well i just let ppl know what problems i had and that i used mine to pull and haul heavy loads...i do miss the power steerring...but i wont posthere anymore...seems when i do i get jumped on for something...like every1 else know waht thyey are talkin bout and im just a complainer...i have the ultimate machine and will put it up against any kubotie any day for any amount of money...but you gurls have fun ok with your inferior machine ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-06-16          112467

I have had the chance to tweak an RTV. First was the reverse and forward relief valves bumped it up to pop off 500 lbs and 150 lbs more. Second Tuned the engine to deliver a slightly richer air fuel till just a hint of black smoke was visible under a heavy load. Then to test it out I hooked to a TC33 and had a tug of war contest. There was no real winner both spun the wheels. So I mark it up to the mods done on the RTV. With a little more weight and possibly some wider tires and wheels I think the RTV would take it.

Monkeyman find a spell checker. ....

View my Photos
danputtputt

2005-06-17          112512

I have read nearly everything on this and the other tractor sites since the rtv came out. We did buy on, with 120 hours on it now. Tooled around last night for a few hours, thinking back on the discussions, as well as 40 years of owning these types of things. Came to the realization that the rtv suites me just fine. BUT, if purchased more than 5 years ago I would have been dissatisfied. For me, the right machine has depended upon where I was at in life. Went through the dirt bike racing period, the souped up machines, the hell on wheels period. For me now the strenths and limitations of the rtv are acceptable. Thats why I did a lot of research on this machine. It's not a climber, nor speedy. But the comfort, reliability, etc. match's what I want in this stage of my life. ....

View my Photos
gdeloach

2006-11-20          137145

Could you email me how you got your $ back from Kubota
on the RTV. Mine stuck in reverse and won't let go.

gdeloach(at)livingston.net ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-20          137155

For over a year now Kubota has had a control to release the pressure from the hydro's as standard equipment. You might want to add this feature to yours. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login