Go Bottom Go Bottom

Polaris

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-14          104201

Okay, guys. I need some of your wisdom.

I am considering buying an ATV to be used for recreational trail riding, some hunting and general use. I'm not a speed demon, so that is low on the list. Manuverability and off-roadability are higher.

I'm drawn to the Polaris Sportsman 400 or 500 series. Who has one of these? What do you like/dislike about it? Would you rather have gone with the Honda, Yamaha, or ??? Thanks for the insite!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Polaris

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-14          104212

I'm biased as my buddy was a major player in the creation of that machine and I've owned two of them.

I like the fact that it's an automatic transmission. No shifting required. We've cut and pulled logs out of the woods with the 500. No problems at all. I've also used the sportsman 500 for hunting, trail riding, plowing snow, etc. Great machine and a great ride. It is the reason why other manufacturers have created independant rear suspensions.

My only gripe is it is a heavy machine. Yet, I have still managed to get it purposely airborn when jumping a ridge. I'm a big fan of the machine. I won't buy a shifting transmission machine after owning two Sprotsman 500s. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-01-14          104218

I don't own one, but many friends and co-workers own Polaris. They seem very happy with them and buy 'em again and again. I'm told they are also American made for those like me that think it is important. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
monkeyman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-14          104225

We have the Polaris Sportsman 400 and its awesome. Lots of power and will haul one audlt, 3 kids and of course my bag (wife). And does all this with ease. I have ridin the 700 EFI and like how smooth it sounds but you can get the same from the 500 or the 400 for a lot less. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
dsg

2005-01-14          104227

I like Honda's myself. I've owned them since '84, had 4 altogether and have put thousands of miles on them and never had a problem, Very low maintenance. I was looking at the Polaris 500 when it first came out I liked the suspension set up but My dealer told me I wouldn't be happy with it because I was use to a low maintenance machine. I understand the Polaris has come a long way since then, but so has Honda and the others.

David

Polaris

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-14          104229

I have owned just about ever recreation toy on the market at one piont or anouther. I currently own a Polaris snowmobile. It is very reliable. As far as quads go I have ridin the polaris but never owned one. My all time favorite quad is the Yamaha Wolverine 350. I prefer 4 stroke for many reasons. I dont believe Polaris makes a 4 stroke atv yet but I could be wrong. The wolverine is a 4wd power house, Great on fuel & nice & quiet. The Honda forman & Suzuki vincent are also nice chioces & very strong machines. My advise is to shop & sit on each & see what fits you best but 2 stroke carbs do need more maintenance. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-14          104234

My father loves both of his Honda Ranch ES's. He still has and rides his Honda Big Red 250. The Honda's last and hold up well. I am not to fond of the automatic or CTV transmissions as they are more or les a belt drive. I prefer the shaft drive and gear. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-14          104239

grassgod, Polaris has made 4-stroke ATV's for quite some time. At least since 1997 which is the year of my Scrambler 500. They put the high output, 500 cc 4-stroke engine in the sportsman 500. Nice machine! I don't have the high output engine in mine. Even so, it does everything and more than I ask of it.

As far as maintenance is concerned, I haven't done any on it. I probably should. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-14          104242

Thanks everyone, this is good stuff. Keep it commin'! ....

Polaris

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-14          104246

I have a 85 honda 200 M 3 wheeler and used to flog it almost daily through high school. I even rode it to work on the road everyday. It sat mostly through college. I called an add for a guy looking for one and them talked him out of it when he came because I demoed it for him and then couldn't part with it. I still have it and I won't part with it. It has never been in the shop and only recently the rear brakes wore out. My dad is one who wouldn't let me park a Japanese car in his drive, but won't buy anything but a honda 4 wheeler. He has an 88 4x4 and just bought a new 4x4. Kept the old one and it has never been in the shop. He doesn't even service it. Air filter has never been open. It runs just like when he bought it. I am no fan of shifting though and would rather have some other tranny. I am not that fond of belts but they seem to work decent enough. I would like to try Honda's newer CVT since it is constantly variable and has no belts. You can even switch it to a 5 or 6? set ratio shift pattern if you like although the electronics worry me a little. My neighbor has a polaris 4x4 and says he likes it and would buy another but it seems to often have little problems. Starter, exhaust, ignition switch etc. He isn't used to something that just doesn't break very often, and the polaris hasn't had any major problems. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
husky125

2005-01-16          104305

I've owned just about one of everything. We current have 6 atvs. This includes two Polaris'. Depending on how much work you want to do with it, you might look at the Polaris ATP. My dad has one and really likes it. For long term low maintenance, I'm not sure you can beat Honda, but you pay more up front for this in the big units and sacrifice some performance. I just sold a 1986 Honda that we've had for 10 years. Other than adjust the valves, I had to do no other engine work. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-26          105021

I have a 1995 polaris. I beat the snot out of it. It's a 4x4 2 stoke 300cc. It rides like a dream, has hig and low, selectable 4x4 and is a nice quad. I had suzuki's, honda's and yamaha's. I actually had a 200 yamaha big bear and bough this and sold the big bear. The only gripe I have with it is the starter is a hunk of garbage. When it is below freezing the machine won't start. It clicks. I have to throw the propane heater on it for a while then whack the starter and it fires up and is good for the day. I haven't pulled it apart yet but there is water in there I'm sure from deep water crossings. I know the starters on these are the weak link. It also says on my machine "designed for warm weather use" Go figure polaris and warm?

It's been a good quad. Starter and one of the front struts has a minor leak, other than that I'd buy another one based on the nice tranny, great brakes and smooth but sporty ride.

My 200 big bear ate up cv joints quick. my 1998 timbrewolf did too. The suzuki is a good choice too. The hondas are great but check the specs, very low ground clearance on some of them.,,,good luck...buy american...Jim ....

Polaris

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-01-27          105041

For off road use I would sugest 4 wheel drive. You may give up a little manuverabilty but there is no comparison in traction.

Brand: Honda gets my vote. Second would be either Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha. I don't think I would own any of the other brands.

Those choices are based on reliability. I know some people will argue with this but overall reliability follows the order of my brand choices. That does not mean a honda will never break down. All mechanical equipment is destined to fail at some point. However your odds of getting there and back are best on a Honda.

I don't like honda,s drum brakes, lower ground clearance and they tend to ride rougher than others. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
Dominick

2005-05-18          111227

I've just purchased a Sportsman 400, use it for woodlot management, mostly, and that involves all (Northeastern) terrain from swamp to rocky outcrops. It's a wonderful machine! Comfortable, with its independent rear suspension. It'll pull downed trees to the back end of the woods to rot in peace with no problem. So far I haven't felt the need for any more machine than that. A backhoe and loader someday, but that story's in chapter 2. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
jmanner

2005-09-04          115923

Own 4 Hondas, two Foreman ES, and Two Rubicons. I LOVE the Rubicons. The transmission is great, so flexible, and NO belt! Reliablility has been flawless on all. Now, if Honda would come out with a side-by-side model with the Rubicon drive train, that would be a machine! ....

Polaris

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-01-08          122441

Upadate: My 400 sportsman has given me NO problems at all in the first half year I have had it. (ok 5 months but whos counting). Exellent ride. Blows my Honda tottally out of the ball game. we fight over who gets to ride in the caddy!!! ....

Polaris

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-09          122476

The sportsman is a sweet machine. A buddy of mine is the engineer that lead the suspension design effort. He wanted a confortable riding machine and that's exactly what was created. I've jumped by sportsman 500, but I don't recommend it. Not a sport machine, but great for trail riding in comfort. We've also skidded logs out of the woods with them.

I'm glad you enjoy it. It is a great riding ATV. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-01-09          122481

Any opinions about the 300cc Polaris Hawkeye? I am not sure I need something as big as the Sportsman 400. I just need to ride 1/2 mile into the woods and patrol 30 acres every now and then. ....

Polaris

View my Photos
Dominick

2006-01-11          122575

The 2005 Sportsman 400 is comfortable, powerful and unstoppable. I use it (in the North East) for woodlot work and snow plowing a 200 foot driveway. It's a fun tool, and no handling problem for this 71-year old. Just take your time learning to handle it if you, like me, never had one before. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login