Go Bottom Go Bottom

Power trac

View my Photos
andrew
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-28          20968

I am interested in hearing about experiences with the 400 models, with the loader, mower deck and snow blade. Are they well made and reliable?Andrew

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Power trac

View my Photos
Bryan

2000-11-11          21400

Hello Andrew, my name is Bryan and I am also interested in any input concerning the 400 series Power-Trac machines. I have not had any responses to my thread posted Sept, 2000.As of today, I am seriously considering a trip to the Power-Trac facility, funds,ya know.I have talked to a rep there, he tells me that they will put a visitor up over night with lunch the following day to allow plant tour, run machines, meet people involved.......etc. I am a quite disappointed in the lack of response to my request for input from CTB. For what it is worth, I think the machines deserve a closer look. I saw one working on TV recently, breifly, but they sure were giving it a work out.The price is certainly attractive. It looks like a person could get a very well equipped machine, comparably powered, for the same money as a Steiner 430(machine only), and well below prices I have seen for Ventracs (machine only). Please let me know if you have any thoughts. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-11-11          21407

Bryan and Andrew, sorry you got no other responses about the Power Trac?; I guess the other guys are like me and never heard of them. But we sure might be interested in what you learn about them. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-11-12          21441

I don't think that there is any power trac's close to me. The only thing that would scare me is that who is a dealer for these? I heard from a JD dealer that they don't set up dealers like most other tractor manufactures do. What about parts and service? The warranty does not cover hose's, batteries,belts and wheel motors!!! These are things that go first. Stick with a Steiner or a ventrac. The same mower deck that steiner built 20 some years ago will fit the new tractors today or ventrac. Also look at the trade in value on all three. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
cmedwards

2000-11-16          21566

Hi all... I too am interested in a Power Trac, in fact I'm planning on visiting them next week! I thought I'd start a list of "questions" to ask when I'm there, with the hope that you will add to it! I'll post answers/impressions after I visit.

1) Spare parts availablity / cost..
(I'm hoping that since the tractor is primarily hydralic that most of the parts are "off the shelf"..)
2) Durability of engines.. (I wouldn't expect real long life running the engines pretty much flat out at 3400-3600, but replacement engines are relatively inexpensive)
3) Quality of service manual... since no local dealers!
4) How well does the 400 series dig! (since I'm really interested in using it for light duty grading, etc)

Add to the list, I'd do my best to check out the machine and report back!

-Craig ....

Power trac

View my Photos
andrew

2000-11-17          21570

We shall all try to get a first hand review of the power trac series of tractors. I will hopefully be able to test operate one near me, but if anybody else is able to provide a factory review, please post it.
Andrew ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Bryan

2000-11-18          21604

Hey guys. I just watched the Power-Trac 400 series video (twice). This machine looks real good. I also talked to one of their salesmen this week, he tells me that in Dec., 2000 they will be offering a special. POSSIBLY, AND ONLY POSSIBLY a free attachment, or, a rebate similar to the one offered in Oct. The gas engine is not as fuel efficient, and the service life is shorter, but parts and knowledgeable repair advice and/or service is much more affordable and available. I am really looking forward to testing driving one of these machines, hopefully in Dec. And if it is all that it appears to be, I can't wait to save $3000 to $4000 dollars on the price of a comparable Steiner, even more so on a Ventrac. Not to mention the attachments. Keep talking guys. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Bryan

2000-11-18          21606

It's me again. I forgot to mention that I talked to the owner of a landscape business south of Lancaster, PA. this week. He now owns 6 Power-Tracs that he has purchased over the last 3-4 years. He swears by them. He said he has owned all kinds of machines over the years, but the PT tops them all. Talk to ya later. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Bryan

2000-12-19          22640

Hey fella!What happened to ya? Did you go to PT? What did you find? What did you see? What was your impression of the equipment? I am planning to go the week of Christmas. Is it worth the trip? Reply soon if possible. Thank you. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
cmedwards

2000-12-19          22647

Didn't get to make the trip over Thanksgiving. MAY get down there later this week... depending on weather! Otherwise, I'll have to wait till after New Year. Still seems to me like a good system for my needs, but you are locked into to their somewhat expensive attachments (compared to a standard 3 pt). As soon as I get any real hands-on experience I'll post! ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-12-20          22653

Hey guys, articulated tractors are nothing to ignore, however, new company start-ups warrant close scrutiny. I've visited the Power Trac web site and reviewed their specs and can honestly say I was not impressed. TCM, Kubota, and several other Japanese manufacturers build fabulous articulated machines, that even in used condition, offer far more value than the Power Trac. They command high prices but are worth every cent. Keep in mind that the compact utility tractor is the "Swiss Army Knife" of tractors because they do just about everything well, some better than others, nevertheless, they are not construction machines. If you want brute strength for loader work with gobs of GPM that can turn quickly, then check out the bigger skid steers. If you want both heavy lift, real backhoe power, quick attachment change loader, full cab with heat, small turning radius, and plenty of GPM to run the larger hydraulic attachments, look at the Kubota R420 and R520. You get much more from Kubota san; parts availability, repair knowledge, world class clean burning dependable engines, advanced designs, and on and on. However, if you've got the money to gamble with by purchasing a relatively unproven product from a new manufacturer, then have a ball. And do let us know how it all turns out. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
turfman

2000-12-20          22658

Ted, This is not a start up company. They have made hard rock mining equipment for a long time. The machine is a direct decendent of such equipment. I have used one of these (model 1400) and they are impressive. If i owned a landscaping company I would have one in a minute. These are well built(overbuilt as far as the 1400). Most of the mechanicals are off the shelf, the others are very sturdy. The biggest advantage of the Power-trac is that it will go across a manicured lawn with a load and not damage it. I have not seen this with a skid steer or construction tractor. The low center of gravity is a huge advantage in hilly terrain. There is no tractor that can hold a hill like this machine. I own 3 compact tractors and I think I might by a Power-trac to replace my oldest tractor. It is very versatile. No it is not a L/B/T, it is a utility machine that is light and I think durable. Just my 2 cents. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-12-21          22684

Turfman, good on ya mate. This is how we learn and is the beauty of this message board. Your opinions are worth more than 2 cents, they reflect your knowledge and experience, just what one needs to become better educated. Education doesn't always take place in the formal environment, if you put together the sum total of all of this board's contributors' knowledge it would be an awesome thing to behold. It will still be interesting to see how these machines hold up over the long haul. Still, you must admit, that in today's economy product diversification into a market dominated by industrial giants is not going to be easy. It may be that Power Trac gets a foot hold in this market, then again it may not. I remember when Kubota first went into the New England market against Deere and NH, all the old timers who still had the horrors of WWII fresh in their minds were loath to even consider buying one. Then, after the success of the product became known, old product loyalties started to fade and minds became more open. At the very least, Power Trac has the opportunity to enter the fray. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Bryan

2000-12-21          22705

Hey fellas! Good to see we are kicking this around. One thing to keep in mind is that we have to compare apples to apples. I have previously owned two compact tractors that simply did not do what I thought they would. While the articulated utility machines are equipped w/ proprietary attachments, they appear to me to be just as, if not more versatile. Also, they appear to have some desirable features such as maneuverability, easy removal/replacement of a large variety of attachments. In the case of the PT, the prices for attachments are very competitive. A new bellymower for the JD 655 I owned was $1800, shell only. A 3. finish mower $1000-$1500. A 3. 4 foot tiller $1600. PT has been building deep mine equip. (LO-TRAC) for 30 years, the PT line for 15 years. I have driven Steiners and Ventracs and while they are nice, they are over-priced and have features that I just did not prefer. While I have yet to see a PT. it deserves a close look, it could be a lot of value for the money. Hopefully, I can see one next week. As far as dealers go, it has been my compact experience that dealers usually do not stock major parts, they have to be ordered. Advice can be sketchy depending on the dealer. Not to mention paying the middle man price. I can order parts and get at least as good advice on my own from the factory. Oil changes, hydraulic hoses, mower belts, Kohler engine parts, wheels and tires can all be had locally. Hydraulic pump and motor parts from Parker and Sundstrand can all be bought from the OEM if PT ceases to exist. Besides, the three articulating machine brands I have mentioned are all MADE IN THE USA. I'll let you guys know how it goes. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
andrew

2000-12-22          22728

Bryan:
I have placed my order for a power trac PT-422 with a tiller, mower, post hole digger, snow blade, bucket,stump grinder, rake and forks.
It seems to be the best tractor for my Home Services business. The deciding factors was the ability to travel on finished lawns without damage, the wide range of attachments and the price. I hope to pick it up sometime in January and I shall let you know how it performs.

Power trac

View my Photos
Bryan

2001-01-03          23052

Hello and Happy New Year. I visited the Power-Trac facility on 12-27&28. This equipment is built tough and rugged and versatile. I would recommend that anyone considering the purchase of a compact tractor, an articulating tractor, heavy duty utility machine, whatever you want to call it, should take a serious look at PT. As was stated earlier, these machines are descendants of heavy duty deep mine equipment and the PT machines show it. I bought the PT-425 and received it today, 01-03-01. I can't wait for snow, grass, or whatever. The business is family owned and operated and employs around 40 people. They provided overnight accomodations, and about a two hour training session for my buddy and myself. IMHO the best value for a dollar. Talk to ya later. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
ERNEST MATSON

2001-03-25          25876

I BOUGHT A POWER-TRAC 422 LAST APRIL AND HAVE 130 HOURS ON IT. I BOUGHT MOWER, ROTO TILLER, AND SCOOP AND LIKE ALL OF IT. TO DATE I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. THE ONLY THING I DO NOT LIKE IS THAT WHEN MOWING UP STEEP SLOPES WITH THE MOWER IN FLOAT POSITION THE FRONT WHEELS LOOSE TRACTION AND ALSO USING THE SCOOP IF YOU PUT DOWN PRESSURE ON SCOOP THE FRONT WHEELS SPIN A LOT. IT IS AMAZING WHAT IT CAN LIFT AND PULL. I THINK IT IS A GOOD BUY FOR THE MONEY. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Rich Rogers

2001-03-28          26031

Glad to see people talking about these little known tractors. I was a few minutes away from buying a kubota b2410 when I stumbled on one of these tractors on the internet. I checked out there web site and called the technitians to see how they would answer questions. I bought the PT425 with a 60 inch mower, bucket with teeth and a 60" hydralic blade. Paid about $7,000 less than a Kubota with the same attatchments. It was a little scary because I bought it site unseen and had it shipped to Connecticut. That was 4 months ago. I have been amazed how well this machine is built and how sturdy it is. I have been extremly happy with my purchase, these are well thought out machines. I plan on buying a stump cutter and a brush hog this summer. I modified a rock rake for it and think I will make a leaf blower for it also. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Power trac

View my Photos
bubenberg

2001-08-09          30813

would you please share with us your rake modification....thank you ....

Power trac

View my Photos
johara

2003-02-21          49695

i was read this old info. i just came back from va. and a visit to power trac.i looked at steiner, ventrac,pt has them beat for price and attachments and you don't need to buy weights,they put the engine on the right end.does anybody have any imput ? is there any problems thati should know about? ....

Power trac

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-21          49730

There is another forum on the net that has a very active Power Trac segment. A lot of guys own them and really love them. Kinda the thrill of being different like the old VW Beetle days. The PT 422 is on sale for $6000 while supplies last. They still listed them on their web site, so i assume they are still available. Some didn't like the Robin/Subaru engine because of hard cold starting (coil problem) and poor power. The Kohler is a LOT more $$$$ so I think I would see how unhappy I was with the Robin. Of coures there's also a Diesel option, from 30 to 65 HP. I personally like them a lot and think they fill a lot of needs. I refer you to the other guys on specifics. I will say they seem to have an answer to every problem.
Pacesetter ....

Power trac

View my Photos
cecil1

2003-09-16          64052

I'm hours away from going to Tazewell and buying a PT425. Have researched this site and another, and for my needs this seems the best value. I live on 8.5 mountain forest acres (grades up to 20 or 35 degrees) with a quarter mile lane that needs scraping and gravel from time to time, and I would like to clear walking trails among the trees and do some landscaping, tree planting, and fallen tree skidding. Anyone have any last minute advice? Any new usage reports? ....

Power trac

View my Photos
dr dirt

2004-09-08          95873

I've been reading these posts going back over 4 years and wonder if anyone has had second thoughts about their Power-Trac since these postings. I'm considering one for my farm that will brush-hog slopes and meadow, snake logs, grade and spread sure-pack (crushed marble), do some light trenching and tow granite cellar stones and door slabs and lift them by scoop or chain. We are in south central Vermont.

Over time, how have they been in terms of wear, parts availability, ability to do some occasional heavy work, etc.? What are the critical accessories in your opinion?

Thanks,

Marc ....

Link:   

Click Here

Power trac

View my Photos
denwood

2004-09-18          96768

I considered buying on of these but backed away. I don't think there is anything quite comparible in this country. Their design (not necessarily engineering) is very good. Articulated, rear engine, hydro, power quick attach, 4x4, etc. They offer many great things at a very reasonable price. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
denwood

2004-09-18          96769

Price is key, you get what you pay for. You can't get anything like it for so little, and they have to build them according to what they will sell them for. I don't believe that they would stay in business long if they were built heavy and cost lots without a heavy hitter nametag. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
denwood

2004-09-18          96772

One look at the backhoes will tell you there is not much engineering. Functional yes, long lasting, questionable. The machines LOOK completely fabricated in house with only powertrain outsorcing. I have seen them up close. I think they may be fine for homeowner/farm use but question their 2000+ hour life and any good resale value. ....

Power trac

View my Photos
pequeajim

2004-11-16          100391

You're right, there is another board which has a strong PT group and if any of you are interested in buying a PT, there is a ton of reading material which can help.

I have owned 4 CUTs, one Massey, Ventrac 4000, Ventrac 4200 and now a brand new PT 425.

I loved the Massey, but in Lancaster County, PA, there are too many slopes to mow on. After the 3rd "almost" roll over, I was afraid to drive it any more.

The Ventrac 4000 was a great concept, great slope mower, but bad tractor, poor quality and needed constant attention.

The Ventrac 4200 was everything that I wanted the 4000 to be, powerful reliable, easy to work on, just great. The only thing that I wished I had was a tractor that had the FEL capability of my Massey, and the slope mowing capability of my 4200!

Enter the PT 425. It is compact, articulated, well built, and a very simple design which is easy to work on.

Plus, for what I sold my Ventrac with a deck and scoop, I got the PT with the following:

60” Deck
48” Bucket
45” 4 in 1 bucket
Back Hoe
Stump Cutter
Pallet Forks
Potato Digger
Plate for custom attachments
Snow Plow
4 Extra Bar Tires and Wheels

Let me say this. The Ventrac/Striners are better mowers and can mow on steeper slopes. I would NEVER mow on a 25-30 degree slope with a PT, but I have with the Ventrac. I just and to go up and down the slope now instead of parallel.

The Ventrac/Steiners are poor FEL workers and do not have the lift capability of the PTs.

The only PTs that I would compare to Ventrac is the 422/425. They have other VERY large and capable slope mowers, but I can’t afford that much money for a home machine.

The Ventrac/Steiners have a unique spring based automatic weight transfer system which helps you maintain traction on slopes, you have to do that manually with the PT.

The PT is MUCH more versatile and better built than the Ventrac/Steiners.

The FEL work and low cost of the attachments from PT made the decision for me. The attachments are all EXTREMELY heavily made and will hold up to TONS of hours of use. This is why I made my decision to sell my Ventrac and buy a PT.

If all I was doing was mowing, the Ventrac/Steiner wins, no competition, but that is not the case for me.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login