Go Bottom Go Bottom

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-05          158388

Does anyone know how many 25th anniversary 430's were made or sold? The differences I see are polished aluminum or chrome rims,chrome plated pto pully,different color seat.Are there any other differences and what engine did they use for this model?I would like to find this info,as I think I may make this model out of mine. Any Steiner history buffs out there? Thanks Eddie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Steiner Question

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-05          158392

The company's still up and running, so you could try Customer Service. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2008-12-05          158410

Yes,but there has been a few owners since the 25th anniversary tractor.If I dont get any responses I was thinking about calling Ventrac since the Steiners brothers run that company. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-01-08          159193

eddieb: I doubt whether the new company will be able to find that information. I worked there for 23 years and there is one former Steiner employee who still works for them. I am in contact with him and hope to have an answer for you soon. I doubt you will get much assistance out of the Ventrac people because they would not have access to that information. I don't know whether you will be able to get all the decals etc which made it unique. You can probably get the polished aluminum wheels. The chrome idler pulley and seat very likely are not available. I think the dash was dressed up with a special decal as well and there may have been an aluminum footplate cover. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-01-08          159202

I bought a 430 classic manual on E-bay and it has a pic on the cover,but is the same manual otherwise.It did tell me it used a Onan gas engine.I will start with the aluminum rims, as Douglas wheel has them with the 4-bolt pattern.I will have the pully chromed at a local plater.I also have a standard seat ,but will upgrade it also.I missed the guard thing ,but see it in the picture now. Thanks for the update,I appreciate the info. You wouldnt have any Steiner memorabilia by chance?I am always on the lookout for brochures,keychains ,just about anything Steiner. Eddie ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-01-08          159207

I got my answer back. 117 units built from Oct 1999 until
November 2000. Very little parts if any available. I will have to scrounge around to see what I can come up with on the meorabilia. I know I have some cheap keychains and some wood pencils with the old address on it. I might even have a cap squirreled away that I would let you have. I have some older brochures that I could not bear to see pitched because of all the nice pictures. I have a clock but that was special made by me as a sample. That I won't leave go. I see you switched from Steiner to Ventrac & back to Steiner. Each has their good features but I still like my old 1986 S-20 updated to a 420. Still has the original engine in it with 1 ring & gasket job and over 3,000 hours still going strong. I use it almost every week to haul firewood out of the woods. Once I find out what I can come up with. I will e-mail you my home e-mail so you can PM me your address. When you are involved to the end of a shutdown you can usually scavenge some nice odds & ends when you are helping do final cleanup. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-01-08          159211

That sounds real good,just let me know what you have,we'll work something out. My 410 with the 60" deck did real good with 1 broken axle.My 415 did excellent with the 72" deck with no problems .The Ventrac with the 60" deck,axle bearing went out and took the axle and housing,burnt up 3 belts on the deck,consumed way to much gas.SDLA controls way overhyped.I love my diesel 430 so far.Eddie ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-01-08          159212

Neberly,If you dont mind me asking,were you involved with the whole build of the tractor or just certain parts of it?23 years,did you get on with Ventrac, or have a career change.I sure appreciate the info on the Anniversary tractor(I now know there are 117 of them floating around somewhere).Thanks Again,Eddie ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-01-09          159252

eddie: I started assembling mower decks, then worked in the warehouse for a nunber of years loading trucks etc then moved into the office doing order entry for finished goods and parts and later became the in house parts guru. There are still part numbers and facts popping out of my head at the oddest moments. The bulk of my life in the later years at Steiner Turf revolved around the parts distribution end of it. No I did not move on to Ventrac, was not even approached in fact. I did have a chance to move to Charlotte NC but I'm too old for that and there were no committments willing to be made by the Orange people. So I was hired back as a temp for several years and then was approached by a machine job shop I worked at 30 years ago. I do much the same type of thing now (data entry) which I enjoy. So yes there was a bit of a career change at 50 plus years. Not a fun thing that's for sure

Found the pencils and a bottle opener keychain and a small screwdriver. Still looking for other stuff. I moved into a new house a little over a year ago and much of my stuff is stored in boxes yet. So I don't know quite where to look for everything at this point. I'm missing some tools I know I have somewhere but can't put my fingers on them :(

Neal (neberly1@aol.com) ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-01-10          159282

Neberly,I thought everything was moved to Johnson City,Wis.? I would of thought Ventrac would of liked to keep its key people,so they wouldnt have to retrain.Anyway send me a list of what you want to get rid of, and a idea of what you would like out of it.I can be contacted at eddieandmandy@irtc.net. No hurry whatsoever. Eddie ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-01-10          159292

Jacobsen intended to move the parts to Charlotte but found they didn't have enough room to put them. So they left them in the old factory. We had a team of about 6 people taking care of picking, packing shipping and parts returns. I made out all right. Got a severance package based on my tenure plus they paid me accumulated vacation time. I don't know where you stand on faith, but my heavenly father sure took care of me real well. It was not a pleasant experience losing your job at my age but it all turned out OK and I didn't have to fret and stew & beat my head against a wall either. Ventrac had their own parts peple already so I didn't feel too badly. I have no doubt if I had applied they would have found some place for me, but I wanted to try some other things in life so I moved on. I took a course in blueprint reading which has been an enormous help in my current job. Jacobsen appeared not to value the experience and knowledge of the Steiner personel. Very few were even approached about possible transfers and those that were the offers were not that attractive and were very open ended.(could be 6 months or could be a couple years but no committments) I don't know many people who would accept those kind of terms. I wouldn't. All in all it worked out better than I expected. They helped us write our resume's. The decision was made way up the ladder so bad as we felt there wasn't much we could do about it. Catch you later ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-01-11          159325

Glad everything worked out for you in the end,I have enjoyed hearing your story and the information you have given.I went thru Dalton on my way to pick up that Ventrac in Hartville,is the former Steiner factory still there?If so, can you see it from Route 30 or 35 that I was traveling on? Thanks Eddie ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-01-12          159347

If you drove US 30 just before you reached the town of Dalton there was a big factory off to the left, called North American Rolling Door. The old Steiner factory was immediately behind and down over a hill. So more than likely you didn't see it. Coming West if you know when to look you can see the backside of it. Yes it is still there however it is now the corporate office and shipping warehouse for Lehman's Hardware from Kidron. There is a small corner used for storing & shipping Brouwer Turf Equipment parts. That was the sod harvester portion. The Steiner parts are now handled through Hayward Distributing a distribution center in Columbus OH. They ship to the dealers. I'll be in touch ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
coopps

2009-02-01          160038

To Neberly. Wondering if you have any information on my TWT20.Maybe you would know when it was built and how long there will be parts availability. This is a great machine. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-02-03          160098

If you are referring to the 3 wheel tractor with the reversible seat & steering wheel, they were built around 1982-1985. I don't recall that we built any in 1986 because in 1986 we started building the 220 unit. Fabricated & manufactured parts are no longer available. Standard components can be picked up at most agricultural suppliers (belts, bearings, roller chain) If you know a dealer you might be able to get ahold of a junker that you could rob parts off of. Otherwise you will have to find someone with a small machine shop who could make you things like shafts etc. Some parts may still be stocked in the warehouse if they are common to current product. If you followed my thread above with Eddie B, you know somewhat the history of the company. The tires, if I remember correctly, were off the shelf sizes that you should be able to purchase somewhere. Even some of the fab components like the steering shaft were made from standard parts. The quick coupler is just a pto quick connect and the stub shafts were a pto splined stub shaft. Hope that helps a bit ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
coopps

2009-02-05          160135

Thanks for the info. This machine is simple to repair. I have been able to make most of these repaires already. The double V drive belt is the only problem. The factory belt is the only one that lasts. Is this belt used on any other models so they won't discontinue it. Thanks. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-02-06          160137

As you found the machine is quite simple to repair. I don't recall the size of the belt (AA68)maybe? I don't recall it being used on other Steiner machines. The reason the factory belt lasts longer is that it was specd to have Kevlar in it because we run backward over a pulley. Not sure what the new company is ordering but it would appear that they are still specifying the original belt. Make sure you get the industrial grade A belt not a FHP (fractional horse power) belt which actually has a smaller profile. The A belt has a bit larger profile. If you can afford it I would suggest purchasing as many spare belts as you think you might need since I can't guarantee how long they will carry it unless they are using it on another product. That is very possible since I don't know what all they use on the various product lines. I assume you have a manual for your machine? ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-03-09          160918

Neberly,If you still want to get rid of your Steiner memorabilia,e-mail me with what you have and what you want for it.I just bought a Steiner brochure on e-bay and am still looking for more stuff. eddieandmandy@irtc.net ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-04-02          161667

Neal,Are you still here?Havent heard anything from you in awhile,hope everything is ok . Eddie ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
neberly

2009-04-06          161785

still here Eddie. Read the forums regularly but don't always log on. No questions or discussions I wanted to contribute to.

PM me your mailing address at neberly1@aol.com sometime. I found some odds and ends of memorabilia that you may like. Nothing fancy or expensive but hey it's free. Most has the old address on yet. ....

Steiner Question

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-04-07          161800

PM sent,Glad to know you are still here. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login