Go Bottom Go Bottom

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-20          151483

After running Steiner for the last 5 years(410 and 415) I am now upgrading to the Ventrac 4131.It is to be delivered monday,and will make reviews after I have a few hrs. on tractor.I bought this machine new and havent even drove a Ventrac(have reviewed all info I could find though). I think the main reason I switched is the comfort factor.Contol placement looks superior to the Steiner.I loved both Steiners, but was wore out after mowing and my sholder would hurt from holding the hydro lever. Anybody think I made a mistake?Let me know what you think of Ventrac. Eddie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New machine

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-20          151489

It really all depends on what you are buying the machine for. I had couple of steiners diesels 230s for mowing and used a 430 27hp gas also. The 230 had limited lift abilities and you could not lift if you steered at the same time(they also discontinued this unit)The 430 had no foot pedals so you had to use one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand on the forward/reverse lever which was awkward and then it had articulated steering too. It really was work to run that thing and i think the ventrac would be just like the steiner 430 only bigger. They are very expensive and only steiner or ventrac attachments can be used and they are expensive. I got tired of down times and excuses from steiner dealer and went to a real compact tractor instead. I can use most any implement made for compact tractors regardless of color.
Depends on your intended uses, Still think if they would redesign the thing, it would get more attention from the public. ....

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2008-06-26          154839

Well,the deal on the 4131 didnt work out,so I made a deal on the 4200 VXD. It is twice the machine the Steiner 415 was.I have only put about 4 hours on this machine ,so I am still learning the controls,but it is quite comfortable.Antone looking at 4wd compact tractors should check one out.I will post more as I put more hrs.on it. ....

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2008-10-07          157082

Well,after a few months and some pretty major problems,the Ventrac has been traded for a new Steiner 430 diesel.Broken axles and burned up belts did it for me,aside that I cant keep gas in the 31hp.(Drinks it as fast as I pour it in).The only thing I did like was the comfort of the Ventrac.I know Steiner is a quality product and will let anyone know of problems if they occur. ....

New machine

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-07          157086

Eddie, did I follow you left Steiner for the Ventrac and it proved to be a problem machine and now have returned to Steiner?

New machine

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2008-10-07          157091

Eddie...sorry to hear about the steiner problems and ventrac problems and now back to steiner. From the first post, you were tired of using the right hand hydro lever and steering. It seems you are back to the original type of machine, an awkward,hard to use machine with marginal reliablity that beats you up when using.
I think you made a mistake by going backwards and not forward in another choice, but thats my opionion related to steiner and reliability.

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2008-10-08          157094

Yes I have went back to a Steiner,the Ventrac was not reliable and I didnt think going to a new one was worth taking the chance.Another problem I had, was rolling the tires off the rims on sidehills.I think they made the tractor a little to heavy.Then there was the leaking hydro hose,wore a thin spot in hose by rubbing on another hose.The SDLA control was way over promoted also,it may be handy for mowing,not using other attachments. ....

New machine

View my Photos
cutter

2008-10-08          157128

Every manufacturer has its lemons. I loved my NH TC29D but had more issues with it than any other machine I owned prior or since. But it really is a good machine based upon the comments of other folks that own them.

Sometimes when we are not happy, we bite the bullet, take the loss and do what we feel is right. After all, we are guys and have the right be happy :) ....

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2008-10-24          157469

Well so far I love the diesel power and am pleased with the purchase.My fuel consumption went from 7+ gal. to 3to3-1/2 gal.I have found the controls and feel of the Steiner 430 machine is all together different than the 410-415.The 430 is a completely different chassis and is heavier than the 415,but lighter than the 4200 Ventrac.Mast-Lepley is a top notch facility,and was a pleasure to deal with,I will recommend them to anyone,and will discourage anyone from Valley Ventrac. ....

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-09-08          165535

Well,its not quite been a year but I wanted to let readers know I havent had any service work or problems of any kind on my Steiner 430 diesel.It definitely seems to be a better machine than the Steiner 410,415,Ventrac 4200 that I have previously owned.You dont see any of these in my area,but when it is on my trailer you should see the rubber neckers give it the onceover.(It is a shame these dont have a national commercial).I will probably run this a couple more years and trade for a new diesel model 430,but I will definitely stay with Steiner products. Eddie ....

New machine

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-08          165540

Glad it is working well for you. You seem to put a lot of hours on your machines. ....

New machine

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2009-09-09          165554

Yes,everytime I mow it is a 4-5 hr. job depending on how tough or tall the grass is.This Steiner is holding up great,although I am babying it somewhat, as the wife says this is my last new one,(Yea Right).I tended to use the other Steiners to their FULLEST and broke a couple of parts(Not the tractors fault).I am also up to 7 attachments and can say they all perform as advertised. Eddie ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login